Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

quote:

I was literally begging this man to let this pussy save Christmas

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

e: goddamnit

AITA: I bought my girlfriend a $800 bag and may have caused her to have a seizure

quote:

My girlfriend (25F) who worked as a veterinarian nurse has had a rough year. She was diagnosed with epilepsy 10 years ago but her seizures have suddenly become very frequent and she was told by her doctor that she has to stop working until they can get her epilepsy under control again. I (28M) didn’t want her to eat through her savings so I have been financially supporting her as I work a decent paying job. This has made her incredibly depressed because she loved her job and she hates depending on others.

This Christmas my girlfriend and I agreed that we weren’t going to be doing gifts. But after such a crap year, I felt like she deserved something and I decided to go all in and buy her a Coach bag. I spent $800 on it and i’ve been hiding it from her for two months. I thought she’d be over the moon but this morning I finally surprised her with it and she literally broke down crying and then started yelling at me. She told me that I was purposely trying to make her look like a poo poo partner because she can’t afford to buy me anything and then said that I was treating her like “sugar baby” which I thought was completely ridiculous. I told her she was being dramatic and it’s just a bag, she should be happy. This argument went on for about an hour before she told me and I quote, “shove the bag up your rear end.” and then she called her sister to come pick her up and take her to her parent’s.

We’ve been together for 6 years and this is the first Christmas we spent without each other so I’ve been upset all day. I called her repeatedly through the day but she ignored them all so I sent her a snarky text message “Thanks for a great loving Christmas.” I think it’s understandable that I’m frustrated.

Around an hour ago, my girlfriend’s sister called me to tell me that my girlfriend had a bad seizure and she had to be taken to hospital and then her sister tried to blame ME for it because I “stressed her out.” I’m honestly that loving pissed off about this entire situation and I can’t even see my girlfriend because no visitors are allowed at the hospital due to the restrictions.

This is the worst Christmas ever and it’s all because I bought my girlfriend a present. AITA here? Because I feel like I’m missing something.

"I'm having the worst Christmas ever, and it's all because I did something I explicitly told my partner I wouldn't do! What gives???"

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

AITA: I bought my girlfriend a $800 bag and may have caused her to have a seizure

I'm not going to lie, I was really hoping the bag was covered with so many shiny things that it caused his girlfriend to have a seizure.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

limp_cheese posted:

I'm not going to lie, I was really hoping the bag was covered with so many shiny things that it caused his girlfriend to have a seizure.

Cause of death: excessive bling

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

The Maroon Hawk posted:

"I'm having the worst Christmas ever, and it's all because I did something I explicitly told my partner I wouldn't do! What gives???"

Yeah no that's not what this is. We're not doing gifts and someone shows up with a gift? Possible rear end in a top hat, really depends on if they have Mr Rogers level vibes of good spirits and aren't flexing.

Her response is totally disproportionate and blaming a seizure on him isn't cool at all. That's projecting like gently caress on a mostly innocent gesture. From the person already supporting your rear end.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Next year I want Santa to bring some spines.

AITA for not liking what my boyfriend got me for Christmas?
If he didn't get her anything for her birthday, and they didn't discuss spending at all, I'm not really sure what she was expecting? For sure it's disappointing but it's like being disappointed that your un-housebroken dog poo poo on the floor.

quote:

AITA for just giving everyone money for Christmas?
I could see a couple small gifts and then some cash being a good compromise but that would probably be worth a conversation instead of completely changing things and not telling anyone until it happens. I wonder how bad the gifts were versus how whiny the kids were.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

YTA for spending $800 on a poo poo rear end coach bag. If I’ve learned anything over the past few years with my S/O you sure as poo poo don’t spend $800 on anything coach related.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for calling out my mom about her gift giving methods when I was a kid?

quote:

We had our usual immediate family gathering for the gift opening and the kids enjoyed. My mom was recounting how she would always give me what I wanted but she only stopped after I was grown and she changed religions. I did a double-take and said, "you showed me what you'd gotten me but I never actually got it." She argued she gave me what I wanted and had pictures to prove.

Now my mom had a habit of buying me what I wanted for Christmas, allowing me to take the wrapping off, take pictures of me with the gifts but take the actual present from me and putting it away saying "I got you this but you're on punishment so you can't have it now." Then I would never see it again. I'd ask for it months later and she again would say I'm on punishment for whatever and couldn't have it. She would keep these items and present them to me as an adult when she was cleaning out closets. It was a mean method and still upsets me when she gives me the items.

I told her this. She denied it. My family was appalled. My mom then tried to backtrack and say she took them because I always broke it. I say how can I break it if I never got them and you're giving me the pristine items as an adult. She didn't have an answer so I let it go and we carried on.

Later, she approached me and said I embarrassed her in front of the family and it was unfair. I apologized but I didn't think it was fair to act like she'd always "given" me what I wanted when she didn't. She's still quite upset with me. AITA for calling her out?

quote:

She didn't get the money back. She has given me items as an adult that I'd wanted when I was like 7 after she cleaned out her closets.

Like "oh here's that Easy Bake Oven you wanted! I kept it all these years for you!" Then I'm like "Ma, I'm 28. What am I gonna do with an Easy Bake now?"

woof

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

YTA for spending $800 on a poo poo rear end coach bag. If I’ve learned anything over the past few years with my S/O you sure as poo poo don’t spend $800 on anything coach related.

Unless it's a real coach with dwarf ponies but at least they, unlike octopus, can be pets that live more than a year.

AITA for yelling at my wife for outing our daughter during the Christmas party?

quote:

My wife and I have a daughter(15F) and a son(13M). Our daughter came out to us that she was bisexual and was attracted to one of her friends. She told us that she did not want to tell anyone else in the family. I let her know that I would always be supportive of her relationships and wanted her to be happy. My wife has been having trouble accepting the thought of our daughter dating girls.

We were asked to host Christmas this year and all of my wife's family came to visit. My parents came and my brother and SIL with their two kids. My daughter and son were spending time with their nieces. During dinner, everyone was talking about new things that were happening with their lives and my wife asked if everyone would be supportive of a gay relationship. My family was quite supportive of everything and kept quiet. My wife's parents and sister made some small comments as they are very religious and old fashioned. My wife then tells everyone my daughter's big news that she was bisexual.

My wife's father shakes his head and starts telling daughter that she should be sent to a conversion camp. My daughter got up from the table and spent the rest of the night in her room. When everyone left, I yelled at my wife that she was completely in the wrong for outing our daughter in front of everyone. My wife yelled back that she couldn't contain the secret and wanted the family to be aware. The fighting went on for the rest of the evening until my wife told me I was sleeping on the couch. I will be sleeping on the couch for the night and will talk to my daughter in the morning.

Why the gently caress is HE sleeping on the couch?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah no that's not what this is. We're not doing gifts and someone shows up with a gift? Possible rear end in a top hat, really depends on if they have Mr Rogers level vibes of good spirits and aren't flexing.

Her response is totally disproportionate and blaming a seizure on him isn't cool at all. That's projecting like gently caress on a mostly innocent gesture. From the person already supporting your rear end.

Unless the gf is really into handbags and probably Coach in particular I have a hard time seeing an $800 bag as being anything except flexing. She already feels guilty about getting support from him, telling her not to bother with gifts and then giving her an expensive luxury item is absolutely salt in the wound and I have a hard time buying that this guy didn't know what he was doing.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Cowslips Warren posted:

Unless it's a real coach with dwarf ponies but at least they, unlike octopus, can be pets that live more than a year.

I’m getting increasingly worried that my response to most of these r/relationships posts are “Kill them. Kill them all.”

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Na gently caress this poo poo.

Coach only has one bag that is over $800 and it’s not even actually $800 because coach is always on sale.

Absolutely ridiculous and even more TA for making me look this dumbass poo poo up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

she agrees with the conversion camp idea and was hoping that the family pressure on hte OP would force him to agree

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Coach purses are not considered to be in the same category as other luxury goods like Gucci or Louis Vuitton or whatever. It is the "starter" or "everyday" luxury.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why is she even still in the house when shes a tremendous danger to her kid

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

ChickenDoodle posted:

I’m getting increasingly worried that my response to most of these r/relationships posts are “Kill them. Kill them all.”

That just means you're sane.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ChickenDoodle posted:

Same. One day their kind will die and hopefully future generations will point and laugh at them for their hosed up ideas the same way we laugh at puritans of the past for freaking out about seeing a womans ankle or whatever.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

PinheadSlim posted:

Same. One day their kind will die and hopefully future generations will point and laugh at them for their hosed up ideas the same way we laugh at puritans of the past for freaking out about seeing a womans ankle or whatever.
Yeah but there are still people around today who think the puritans had the right idea, aren't there?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ChickenDoodle posted:

“Kill them. Kill them all.”

:hmmyes:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Na gently caress this poo poo.

Coach only has one bag that is over $800 and it’s not even actually $800 because coach is always on sale.

Absolutely ridiculous and even more TA for making me look this dumbass poo poo up.

It's australian fake money. So a $400 bag is probably $800 AUD once you get their fake money plus import fees.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

We have coach stores here and import tariffs don't kick in until it's over $1,000. So it's more like $500USD.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PetraCore posted:

Yeah but there are still people around today who think the puritans had the right idea, aren't there?

Yeah it's not a solution, it's just comforting to some of us.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Sure doesn't sound like not working is helping her be less stressed.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for doing an "irish goodbye" at family Christmas after my uncle made off color comments?

quote:

I'm a lesbian. I was at family Christmas and my family was talking about my auntie's boss at work, who had tried to get people to work on Christmas. I asked if she had family, a husband or wife perhaps? I was asking because I couldn't imagine someone with a partner wanting to go to the office on Christmas day. I really didn't give a second thought about the "or wife" part of my comment.

Anyway my uncle complained I had to "make it gay" and the way I was talking was "political correctness gone mad" and a couple of my older family members backed him up in a "kids these days" way...

I stepped out shortly after for some air without telling anyone.

I felt stressed because I realized a lot of my family was acting pretty bigoted... And I'd been thinking of coming out to my extended family that night; my parents and sister know but nobody else does. But I'd thought this was a good time to because I'm now in a long term relationship with a wonderful woman, I was thinking that if we're gonna be in each other's lives for hopefully the long haul, it wouldn't be fair to her to keep that a secret from my family.

But... After that, I felt it wasn't going to be a good idea. And standing out on the porch, I realized I just didn't want to be here. It was an obligation. So I left.

I saw a few texts from my mom asking where I was at and I replied to say I had headed out early, the homophobia going on wasn't my vibe so I was out

I was trying to be kinda lighthearted because I didn't want to admit how much I was feeling upset. But my mom read my texts not as reassuring but as disrespectful and flippant. She said that it was awful rude of me to leave before the gift exchange game (which needs a matching number of gifts and players to work) and not tell anyone based on 'vibes'

I texted back to say "sorry I was a little flippant but honestly I wasn't feeling good about being there so I left, I wanted to tell the family about (girlfriend) and I, but after the stuff everyone was saying.. nope

My mom texted me back to say that I can't talk about that stuff in front of grandma, who's from a different time.

I got frustrated with her and texted back that they had gays in grandma's time too even if they pretend not to.

My mom was asking me to come back and I said that I'm down to come by if the homophobia is dealt with first, but honestly I wasn't sure that kinda poo poo could be dealt with in one night... So let me know if it is, but otherwise I was out.

I also decided... gently caress it, I'm making this poo poo public, I'm not spending any more time worrying about what the right way to show my family is. Because maybe there is no right way if they aren't accepting. So I changed my Facebook and WhatsApp profile pictures to a couples photo with my girlfriend. (My family mainly uses WhatsApp to text and I have them all on Facebook)

AITA for leaving so suddenly?

homophobia: not rude or disrespectful
not putting up with homophobia: extremely rude, disrespectful

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I thought an irish goodbye was when you say you're leaving then spend hours dragging it out by chatting poo poo with everyone you're saying goodbye to

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

AceClown posted:

I thought an irish goodbye was when you say you're leaving then spend hours dragging it out by chatting poo poo with everyone you're saying goodbye to

That’s a Jewish goodbye (but maybe only to Jews?)

Also, kill them all is a perfectly reasonable response to most of these.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceClown posted:

That's an Italian Goodbye according to the previous incarnation iirc. Or just a Boomer Goodbye, telling the kids to pack up and make them wait around doing nothing for an hour standing by the door, and then another hour sitting in the car.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling out my mom about her gift giving methods when I was a kid?

quote:

Like "oh here's that Easy Bake Oven you wanted! I kept it all these years for you!" Then I'm like "Ma, I'm 28. What am I gonna do with an Easy Bake now?"

Ma, Imma hit you with the bakini

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cowslips Warren posted:

As someone whose mom decided to out me for Christmas, this unfortunately makes a lot of sense to me. It's obvious to me that what's more important is dealing with the fact that she is hurt from being told that she hurt me, rather than me being hurt.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
why do these people marry folks that are scared of gays

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Collapsing Farts posted:

why do these people marry folks that are scared of gays

A lot of people keep it under wraps, or later get broke brains.

Also normal people don't ask each other questions like 'So what do you think about the Holocaust?' during dates, so when someone turns round with 'Hitler was right about the jews, he just took it a little too far' it's too late if you've made a committment like marriage or a kid.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's not a phobia thing, at least not in my case. It's a narcissist thing. She wanted to have a coming out and I didn't so she did it without me. I feel like I did something wrong by being outed. That's how they make you feel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It gets weirder and weirder for me as we get closer to my age being the parents in question age if only because even when I was a kid I was like "only old people give a poo poo who you smooch" and apparently that isn't true???

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father decided to unleash his insane mother on me after I came out to my parents as bisexual and begged them not to tell anyone. But my grandmother hates my father so she told him she doesn't care if I marry a St. Bernard.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My husband's direct family are all wonderful people, but his extended family is pretty WASP-ey. I've had pretty good results using horror to quell any homophobic results. After the second time someone opens a door to see me directly behind it holding a knife, the homophobic remarks and objections drop sharply.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Solenna posted:

If he didn't get her anything for her birthday, and they didn't discuss spending at all, I'm not really sure what she was expecting? For sure it's disappointing but it's like being disappointed that your un-housebroken dog poo poo on the floor.

It sounds like she's not willing to accept that he just sucks hardcore and doesn't care about her at all. I wonder if she had some kind of justification like "Well, birthdays aren't really his thing, but he loves Christmas, so he will be sure to get me a present then, because he loves receiving presents!"

It's really hard for some people to accept that others can just be selfish and have no problem receiving without giving anything.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My father decided to unleash his insane mother on me after I came out to my parents as bisexual and begged them not to tell anyone. But my grandmother hates my father so she told him she doesn't care if I marry a St. Bernard.

And finally, your avatar is explained!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm not surprised by old people being awful. The olds are largely poo poo and won't change.

I am surprised that the parents aren't at the older relatives throat over them being lovely to the kids.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

vonnegutt posted:

It sounds like she's not willing to accept that he just sucks hardcore and doesn't care about her at all. I wonder if she had some kind of justification like "Well, birthdays aren't really his thing, but he loves Christmas, so he will be sure to get me a present then, because he loves receiving presents!"

It's really hard for some people to accept that others can just be selfish and have no problem receiving without giving anything.

It still tears me up that my friend only receives presents at her birthday or Xmas if I send her one. Her husband of ten years just doesn't give. He WANTS and expects presents but the idea of doing anything for her is dumb, to him.

AITA for gifting my boyfriend things I got for free/made myself and not something with my own money?

quote:

I (f26) have been dating my boyfriend (m27) for about 10 months so this was our first Christmas together. For context, we both make a good income. I also have a passion hobby of making candles, which I often gift to friends and family.

For my works Christmas party (end of November) we had a raffle, with the prize being a Nintendo switch, something my boyfriend was considering getting himself. I ended up winning and immediately thought he’d love it. I also wanted to make him two candles, one with the main scents of the perfume that I wear that he likes, and the second of scents that he likes. I thought these would be great presents.

When opening my presents, he was excited about the Nintendo switch but didn’t seem that excited about the candles. I wrote little notes with the candles but he barely even glanced at them. I opened my presents and was super grateful, but then he said he had something to say because it was upsetting him and he wanted us to be able to communicate with each other.

He was upset that I had only gotten him ‘one real gift’ when he got me 3, which made him feel under appreciated. I was confused because I thought the candles were ‘real’ gifts but asked him what was a ‘real’ gift. He said it was something you put money and thought into, and that it shouldn’t be something he could get if he just asked me for for free. I was kinda offended and said that the Nintendo must not be a real gift because I didn’t pay for it but got it from work. He got upset, insinuated that I’d left his gift last minute, and was getting defensive over it before leaving. We haven’t spoken since.

Anyone who does SASS knows that homemade stuff is usually loving awesome. I still have the pleco cross-stitch and snake painting goons made me (I would have kept the bee pinata but it fell apart). Every year my family friend gives us a pack of their homemade cookies, and we look forward to that every year.

The idea that you have to buy a gift for it to "count" is some bullshit. Though part of me is always worried when I DO homemade gifts (I made a bunch of dirty pour paintings for xmas gifts for next year) that people will sneer or think I gave them garbage.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ChickenDoodle posted:

"Exterminate all the brutes"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AceClown posted:

Yeah, uh...Irish people, famous for not talking?! Theyve got a whole stone about it and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

However, OMG I would be terrified of having my face/head mauled for trying to kiss a cat on the stomach. Showing their belly is always a trick a horrible bloody trick that I fall for every time.

Yeah so cats actually have a protective little pouch on their stomach. When they do that it's not a submission thing, it's 'all four of my murder claws are optimally deployed to hurt you'.