Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"charcaterie" was even more there!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If you opened this page without seeing the previous posts, I want you to hazard a guess as to what the gently caress I'm on about before going back to find out. I dare you

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Merry Christmas all you goons, I'm off to work in half an hour. Hope you all had an excellent day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you opened this page without seeing the previous posts, I want you to hazard a guess as to what the gently caress I'm on about before going back to find out. I dare you
acceptable festive beans alternatives

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

acceptable festive beans alternatives

Speaking of beans, I found something terrifying in the supermarket the other week.

I think these are for when you get bored of normal beans up the backside.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Gigantes are great; as a vegetarian living in Greece I ate them all the time.

But whatever you do, don't ever plant one in the ground... that's where giants come from.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i want a giant

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of beans, I found something terrifying in the supermarket the other week.

I think these are for when you get bored of normal beans up the backside.

I make these myself ever since we found them in cans in Germany. We make our own baked beans as you can control the carb content of the sauce and the larger beans end up having a better glycemic index for the wifes diabetes. They also taste fantastic. Absolutely recommend.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/rupertbu/status/1474841817233436677

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Whenever I’m away from the U.K. the only food I proper miss and can’t usually find is beans. You always go to a cafe and the ‘full English’ has some like actual beans in actual tomato sauce, not the orange poo poo I love

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i imagine it’s one of those “our health standards board looked at the recipe and banned it” kind of things

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i want a giant

You think you do, but they are not only for christmas you know.
Whose going to be still cleaning up the giant poop in a few months time?
Who is going to have to walk it 10 miles a day?
It's a big responsibility.
Maybe when you are older.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mano posted:

Can you translate this into English please?

Whippets are a breed of dog.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which led to some initial confusion when I first heard the term for nitrous oxide inhalation I tell you what.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

I'm the word 'may' holding up the entire article to give fbpers a Christmas fanfic

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

(Also what OF said.)

I have been TEAM LARD for years now as anyone can tell you, though for my roasties this year i did beef dripping which is as readily available (though about 3x the price).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Doccykins posted:

I'm the word 'may' holding up the entire article to give fbpers a Christmas fanfic

Yeah, he'll probably never stop funding the Tories, but he's a major donor publicly knifing Boris on xmas day. That's quite a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

I have been TEAM LARD for years now as anyone can tell you, though for my roasties this year i did beef dripping which is as readily available (though about 3x the price).

I wonder if you can make beef dripping by mixing lard and bovril?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If you want Keir starmer as an annoying neighbour, vote labour

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wacky waving inflatable keith

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

quote:

“I’m not sure he can survive this, and I’m not even sure he should survive it. If he cleaned his act up and made it clear to MPs that they cannot take money from other sources, and started trying to get the government on a very ethical, whiter-than-white basis, I guess I would still support him. But I suppose the question you’ve really got to answer is, is it in his character to do so?”

Lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private money shouldn't have a role in politics, which is why I am threatening the government with my money.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It's fun and all seeing someone bash johnson but then there's the aftertaste of this dickhead - who was fine with the racism and depriving poor people etc etc while the poll numbers were okay - strutting around like he's a top kingmaker of a supposedly democratic government just on the basis of having oodles of cash, and i want to go live in a cave

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
well you can sympathise with him, he's paid all this money for a government to find out most of the useless tossers are off touting for business elsewhere on his dime.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

NotJustANumber99 posted:

well you can sympathise with him, he's paid all this money for a government to find out most of the useless tossers are off touting for business elsewhere on his dime.

Entirely accidental I'm sure but this is a pretty loving incisive post

If MPs weren't allowed to take additional jobs that would have to increase the influence of direct donors as it would be the main place for them to skim from.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Maugrim posted:

Entirely accidental I'm sure but this is a pretty loving incisive post

If MPs weren't allowed to take additional jobs that would have to increase the influence of direct donors as it would be the main place for them to skim from.

Party funds only get skimmed by the leadership, which is why greedy MPs take additional jobs. It would increase the influence of direct donors on the party as a whole, but have none on individuals because they wouldn't see the benefits. That would make rebellions more likely.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Who's the goon scared of birds (esp. swans)?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...p-fear-of-swans

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jedit posted:

Party funds only get skimmed by the leadership, which is why greedy MPs take additional jobs. It would increase the influence of direct donors on the party as a whole, but have none on individuals because they wouldn't see the benefits. That would make rebellions more likely.

Except it would mean that MPs wanting to get their nose in the trough have to toe the party line much harder to get to the higher positions with access to the funds so it would increase party discipline amongst the greedy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Donors can and do donate directly to individual MPs and candidates in the form of election and office expenses, seconded staff, and other freebies. Unions do the same thing for Labour.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

therattle posted:

I know, but I think I’d cream myself if Johnson lost his seat.

I don’t know, getting to be Prime Minister without having the bother of bring an MP (which I believe is theoretically possible, if totally implausible in reality) sounds like his dream come true…

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

you SHOULD be scared of swans, they're heinous

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tossing the plebes a 3 quid box of chocolates. The true spirit of Christmas…

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

Tossing the plebes a 3 quid box of chocolates. The true spirit of Christmas…

He's worth near £10m, he earns over £100k a year.

Class act.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
He's right that's it's a) small b) token

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Hey remember when thr Daily Mail lost that court case to Meghan earlier this year and the judge ordered that they had to print said fact on their front page?

Well technically they complied with that today!

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1474861830971473925?t=sH0SKVZsWq0Ts79o_gUPPA&s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

I don’t know, getting to be Prime Minister without having the bother of bring an MP (which I believe is theoretically possible, if totally implausible in reality) sounds like his dream come true…

No, by definition the PM has to be a Member of Parliament. There's some discussion over whether since 1911 he can be a Lord (probably not and even if he could there's no way to get him upstairs without appointing another, different, PM who would then have to resign to let him in).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Honestly surprised they put it in that big a font. I suppose the ruling probably included specifics though because they'd absolutely take the piss otherwise (6pt font, yellow ink, upside down)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Crossposting from the schadenfreude thread:

fuctifino posted:

It looks like he's going to live to tell the tale, but yet again, another covid denialist/antivaxxer learns the hard way:

(insert stay in hospital)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

fuctifino posted:

Crossposting from the schadenfreude thread:

The second comment is also trash - I know the plural of anecdote is not data - but I and everyone I know who has caught COVID after two vaccinations have specifically not been laid low at all - it’s been a couple of days of coughing a bit and being tired. It’s nothing like when someone without the vaccine catches it, nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think specifically the suggestion is that he thinks that he has caught a cold and the people who have been vaccinated against covid are for some reason weak to colds, unlike his big brain vaccineless immune system.