Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Anyone know what happened to the guy who bought a Lion NTF for $8k instead of pool/tub the wife was thinking he would get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

happyhippy posted:

Anyone know what happened to the guy who bought a Lion NTF for $8k instead of pool/tub the wife was thinking he would get?

I think his name was John bobbitt

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Barudak posted:

The largest model train set is in the world is in an airplane hangar in canada funded by a billionaires son who got so hosed up by his family and peers he's spent the last decade and like 20 million dollars building this thing. He seems ok.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mad Dragon posted:

Is this Cinemax After Dark without a cable box?

I was 13 with a clock/radio/4” b&w TV when we got cable in my neighborhood in rural Tennessee. My parents were unaware of anything after they went to bed at 9:30, and I had my own room to myself.

I’m surprised I didn’t pull the drat thing off!
:fap:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/financialtimes/status/1474032442935816209?s=21

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

That article is delightful.

quote:

To conclude, an economic analysis of bitcoin must recognise its uniqueness in the history of manias. As an object of speculation, bitcoin is unprecedented in the degree to which there is no there there. This post-modern mania features big prices for entries on nobody’s spreadsheet. A zero-coupon perpetual has arrived not as a joke but as a trillion dollar asset. Unlike a Ponzi scheme, bitcoin cannot end in a run. 

In a crash, the holders of bitcoin will collectively have lost what they have paid the miners for their bitcoin. This sum may be not far from the sum originally invested with Madoff, after accounting for inflation. But bitcoin holders will have no one to pursue to recover this sum: it will simply have gone up in smoke, a social loss. The holders of bitcoin would then only wish it had been a Ponzi scheme.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

:lol: At least ponzi victims have a chance to see their investment again. :drat:

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TengenNewsEditor posted:

:lol: At least ponzi victims have a chance to see their investment again. :drat:

.25% rate of interest for almost the rest of your life :drat:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i am writing more bitcoin fanfiction https://www.wattpad.com/1170653356-cartman-the-crypto-baron-the-dawn-of-the-crypto this time about South Park. it dares to ask the question "what if cartman was really dumb about bitcoin" and as you can imagine, the jokes basically write themselves.

this is a really long one and its gonna go longer because im updating it every day until i'm out of updates (six days.) i not to brag but the ending is gonna be crazy. space whales. meat prisons. just total mad lad stuffy.

thanks thread. ok goodnight.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Mods, are you there? It's me, DemihumanResources

Thanks in advance for changing my name to non-funginable

DemihumanResources fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 2, 2023

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If someone steals your private key, you're basically poo poo out of luck with bitcoin, right? there's no authority that could help you out.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rinkles posted:

If someone steals your private key, you're basically poo poo out of luck with bitcoin, right? there's no authority that could help you out.

Yes. Unless you sign up for Scam Protection Plus!*

*Scam Protection Plus** reserves the right to review any and all claims and has no obligation to refund customers.

** Scam Protection Plus does not actually exist

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Gone.

Makes me wonder what banks that offer custodial services for crypto will do if they gently caress up and somehow leak a private key while Bitcoin price is high.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

look, depict your significant other/wife however you want. sure its really lame and uncreative to just make a female ape NFT to ride on the coattails of the other ape NFT, and even worse to buy one that basically means, "that's how i see my wife".... but there's just something hosed up about them adding boobs to the ape.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/lukeweston/status/1474666354976329728

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Gone.

Makes me wonder what banks that offer custodial services for crypto will do if they gently caress up and somehow leak a private key while Bitcoin price is high.
The same thing as any other gently caress up over custodial storage, they're on the hook for whatever your contract says if not for a bare minimum of recovery of an equivalent asset.

If you're talking exchanges they generally have it in your terms that they don't care, gently caress you, got mine. Just because it's in the contract doesn't mean you have no recourse but the exchanges are barely companies with the most generous definition so you'd probably have just as much luck suing a cow.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
https://www.twitter.com/nisten/status/1473726857233240066

e:oops, Don't know how to just post the reply but whatever

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 26, 2021

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

We're through the looking glass. I thought it would take at least a few more months before we reached this nadir. loving washroom faucets... on the blockchain™!.

Since the blockchain™ solves any and all problems humankind has ever faced or will face, does anyone know what happens when you actually use one of these things? I'm assuming immortality or perhaps a cure for male pattern baldness at the very least?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I'm fascinated by the faucet one because the faucet is pretty much the closest thing to a perfect invention humanity has devised. You turn a knob (or put your hands in front of the sensor with more recent variants) and water comes out. You can maybe make the piping more efficient or have it heat up faster, but the core design is impenetrable. Sublime and simple. Adding literally anything to it makes it worse.

These motherfuckers looked at perfection and thought "Let's add a loving blockchain."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's really unfortunate when someone watched Planet of the Apes movies right in the middle of going through puberty.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Truly hideous. The original apes are low effort and ugly but these are on another level.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Koburn posted:

Truly hideous. The original apes are low effort and ugly but these are on another level.

Why does she have a ball of fecal material in her mouth? :wtc:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DerekSmartymans posted:

Why does she have a ball of fecal material in her mouth? :wtc:

I assume it's a Ferrero Rocher chocolate ball. I hope it's a Ferrero Rocher chocolate ball.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

she's preparing a brooding ball for her eggs.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Call Your Grandma posted:

she's preparing a brooding ball for her eggs.

Like…like a dung beetle?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Durzel posted:

We're through the looking glass. I thought it would take at least a few more months before we reached this nadir. loving washroom faucets... on the blockchain™!.

Since the blockchain™ solves any and all problems humankind has ever faced or will face, does anyone know what happens when you actually use one of these things? I'm assuming immortality or perhaps a cure for male pattern baldness at the very least?

I'm already pondering what portable objects could be used to smash the screen.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Assuming they cheap out on the screen, a bit of sandpaper will do.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Oh wow I hate this

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hello, here is some ads while you brush your teeth and poo poo.
No, this tablet does not have a face forwarding camera.
By the way, would you like purchase some penis enlargement pills, you look like you need them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/danrobitzski/status/1474849623328108548?s=21

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a pillow covered with those hideous apes is the 21st century version of a creepy clown bed that you give to your kid if you want them to have nightmares

can't sleep, ape will eat me
can't sleep...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The_Franz posted:

can't sleep, ape will click me
can't sleep...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rinkles posted:

Yes there's nothing that can be done.
The system only works because these keys are so long and random that there is not enough time remaining in existence to be able to guess the key again.
Authorities can help you out, but unless the FBI finds the thief and recovers the key your assets are effectively frozen until you recover the key

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Nah, you're right. It would be a terrible situation to a point. I didn't really think about it from that perspective. but what are the alternatives? crypto is clearly not going away. Why not just have the us establish a CDBC? It's not like anyone should have to use Tether/USDC/whatever. My point was they asked for guidance and got none and yet arbitrarily decided xrp is a security but not much else was. That was also pointed out at the same meeting. I guess it goes back to as another person posted, government can be deliberately slow to regulate at times.

I thought the issue was basically: tether is bullshit. But wouldn't the answer be : so why don't we just use the USD as a digital currency?

I really do not think “crypto is here to stay” is anything close to a done deal. It is not in any way useful, it is slow, clunky, hugely wasteful, and smaller than it presents itself as. Its positives are

All that it would accomplish is lending legitimacy to what is Just A Pile of Scams.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

still wouldn't buy it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

acidx posted:

still wouldn't buy it

but you would right click it

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

why don't we just use the USD as a digital currency?

But USD is already a digital currency. Or did you think CashApp sends truckloads of cash to multiple banks daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

The Sausages posted:

https://www.twitter.com/nisten/status/1473726857233240066

e:oops, Don't know how to just post the reply but whatever

these two tweets were auto-suggested as a followup to this one. i think we can assume a number of things, namely that there are a lot of other accounts tweeting this exact same message, the creator of this scam coin is probably involved in this promotion scheme, and the keys are NOT "burned" whatever that even means.

Only registered members can see post attachments!