Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Malt posted:

I got two games for Christmas this year. The Great Zimbabwe and Pass the Pigs: Big Pig Edition.

The extreme difference amused me greatly, but I have fond memories of Pass the Pigs growing up and this is my first Splotter so I'm excited for both.

Pass the cows to Qamata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You're in for a treat with The Great Zimbabwe! The turn bidding and the gods selecting are really interesting angles on a route-building game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Who's bought board game Christmas gifts?

I usually participate in a couple secret Santa’s on BGG. This year we largely gave cash and gift cards but in the past we have given out games.

I got zero games from the family. My wife commented that the game on my list are hard to find and that none would have arrived by Christmas so she passed them over. Next year I need to sand bag some easily available games.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

As far as the OP goes does it make sense to add in some of the generally more popular games like carcassonne, ticket to ride and pandemic. Game people can pick up on Amazon or at target if they want to dip their toes in the water without breaking their brain or their bank account.

Should also link people to the war games thread.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
New OP should be Calico themed

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

My wife spent a bunch of money during the Hollandspiele sale

The disks in my copy of Meltwater are yellow instead of black. Weird.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

As far as the OP goes does it make sense to add in some of the generally more popular games like carcassonne, ticket to ride and pandemic. Game people can pick up on Amazon or at target if they want to dip their toes in the water without breaking their brain or their bank account.

Should also link people to the war games thread.

Yeah, games like these listed plus Forbidden Desert, Splendor are also great friendly games that can be picked up drat near anywhere

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Undaunted Normady or Undaunted North Africe. Both are fantastic 2 player games

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
splendor is a 2p only rec I think

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Slimy Hog posted:

The disks in my copy of Meltwater are yellow instead of black. Weird.

We literally sold so many copies during the sale that we ran out of black disks and had to use whatever was left on hand.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Splendor is fine with 3 or 4. It’s a perfect game to put in the OP — low cost, easy to learn, complex enough to be interesting for a while, and then you can move onto bigger and better games.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

gutterdaughter posted:

We literally sold so many copies during the sale that we ran out of black disks and had to use whatever was left on hand.

Haha, that's rad! We were thinking it was something like that or the stock was running low and y'all threw together whatever worked. Luckily the yellow doesn't look too bad (we're playing our first game right now)

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Megasabin posted:

Here's my list of games good enough to mention in the OP

Worker Placement
Caylus | Medium
Feast for Odin | Heavy
The Gallerist | Heavy

Action Selection/Unique Mechanic
Concordia | Medium
Endeavor | Medium
Great Western Trail | Medium
Orleans | Medium
Brass Birmingham | Heavy
Gaia Project | Heavy

Auction
The Estates | Light
Keyflower | Medium

Dudes on a Map
Pax Pamir 2E | Medium
Inis | Medium
Dominant Species | Heavy

Free-Form Logistics (Splotter)
Bus | Medium
Great Zimbabwe | Medium
Indonesia | Heavy
FCM | Heavy

These are all legit good games, but we need games lighter than The Estates too. Stuff like

For Sale
Tiny Towns
Little Town
Kingdomino
New York Slice
El Grande
The Quest for El Dorado
Sprawlopolis
Broom Service
Menara
Mini Rails
Mini Express

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 26, 2021

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Jumping in on the Arnak discussion as someone who really enjoys it. I think it's fair to say that the game misrepresents itself as having multiple paths to victory when it's really more that you have to do all things to varying levels. It feels quite like Viticulture in that regard. You need to participate in most aspects of the game economy in order to post a respectable score.

I like that it plays extremely tight with resource management by limiting you to two 'workers' for the whole game. Outside of some specific cards, that means you only place 10 workers over the course of five rounds, so you need to focus on how to maximize the returns on those 10 actions. I also found that my enjoyment of the game shot way up when I stopped playing the bird temple side of the board. The snake temple is far more interesting in the cost breakdown on both the exploration and research sides of the board. And there are more approaches to winning than you might think after realizing that you can't ignore the research track. For instance, I recently got destroyed by someone who built a compass and tablet economy and then went whole hog on artifacts.

What I don't like is the extreme power level variance in the item cards. A handful of cards like Dog, Aeroplane and Tent are so efficient that they can easily drive a victory if played properly. I also think the artifacts are overall a little underpowered for the cost. It usually makes more sense to spend compasses on exploration in terms of converting actions into points. It would be nice if artifacts focused more on unique actions, given how much they dominate the market row in the last couple rounds.

I'm excited to try the expansion because it seems like the additions are high impact but thoughtful. I hope it gets an implementation on BGA after it's released.

Old Dun Cow fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 26, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

This happened before so someone better be getting busy writing that OP just about now. I’ll be hanging like a sword of Damocles on this thread until then

I might start today. No idea how long it will take to chew through all the suggestions. I'll try and take these posts on board, but holy moley there are a lot of excellent games.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If you can only buy 1 game as a new player, it should obviously be Campaign for North Africa, because by the time you and your friends have finished playing, you'll not have time remaining in your lifespan to play any other game.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I got Beyond the Sun and Sleeping Gods for Christmas! We've played a few games of Beyond the Sun and it seems fun (If a little dry), no idea what sleeping gods is like. Anyone have any opinions on it?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

HampHamp posted:

I got Beyond the Sun and Sleeping Gods for Christmas! We've played a few games of Beyond the Sun and it seems fun (If a little dry), no idea what sleeping gods is like. Anyone have any opinions on it?

It's kind of a roguelike adventure game? You travel to places and read the story book as you do in the other Laukat games, but you have a limited time to achieve your goal, and reset the game when you run out. Then, you can use permanently unlocked cards and copious notes to save a lot of time or change what you were doing ("I know the answer to this puzzle so don't need to visit these 7 locations again", "Oh this was where we made the bad choice, let's do another one this time", ...).

Combat is puzzly and interesting; there is a fair bit of randomness in the events. Everyone can control any character per session, with joint use of the captain, so you're not locked into one character, but no matter how many people, you always have to play all of them.

I've not played far but at some point I presume you'll be able to fulfil the main victory condition for the best ending (whatever that is).

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

gschmidl posted:

It's kind of a roguelike adventure game? You travel to places and read the story book as you do in the other Laukat games, but you have a limited time to achieve your goal, and reset the game when you run out. Then, you can use permanently unlocked cards and copious notes to save a lot of time or change what you were doing ("I know the answer to this puzzle so don't need to visit these 7 locations again", "Oh this was where we made the bad choice, let's do another one this time", ...).

Combat is puzzly and interesting; there is a fair bit of randomness in the events. Everyone can control any character per session, with joint use of the captain, so you're not locked into one character, but no matter how many people, you always have to play all of them.

I've not played far but at some point I presume you'll be able to fulfil the main victory condition for the best ending (whatever that is).

Thanks for the impressions, sounds fun! We haven't played many campaign games apart from Oath recently, so would be nice to start a new one.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
El Grande being OOP is a crime

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Targi seems worth including as entry-level 2p?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
nvm

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Llyranor posted:

El Grande being OOP is a crime

Rio Grande has asked repeatedly to reprint it and Hans Im Gluck who is the original publisher has refused. There are a number of games in their catalog that they would like to bring back but can't get a license. By the way they just reprinted Coloretto, a great little card game, and the distributors wanted a sell sheet for this 'new' game.

(I'm good friends with the project manager for Rio Grande, we go way back)

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 26, 2021

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Old Dun Cow posted:

I also think the artifacts are overall a little underpowered for the cost. It usually makes more sense to spend compasses on exploration in terms of converting actions into points. It would be nice if artifacts focused more on unique actions, given how much they dominate the market row in the last couple rounds.

I think the important thing about artifacts that is the reason they can't be better than items on the whole is just because you can play them immediately. Being able to look at the shop row and take an action that gives you potentially exactly what you need right now is pretty powerful.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Who's bought board game Christmas gifts? I've got one for each of my household:

Wife: Codenames (we love Duet and now the kids play we could do with something more suitable for more players)
Daughter: Queendomino (she loves Kingdomino and it's an obvious progression, plus you can combine them, which is cool)
Son: Forbidden Desert (he loves Forbidden Island and it's an obvious progression)

I had Fog of Love on my wish list, so imagine I may receive that.

Everyone was satisfyingly delighted with the games, which is nice. Naturally, despite that, we've not played any of them yet and I've just spent a large part of today teaching and playing backgammon and poker with my 7 year old, at his behest.

Not received Fog of Love yet, but seeing more relatives tomorrow.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jewmanji posted:

I like Targi but it’s a bit tricky to find the right audience with new people. I would have loved it when I started but I can see the Mysterium crowd being out off.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Jewmanji posted:

I love Targi but wouldn't call it necessarily an entry-level game. It's not complicated but has some stuff that is easier to grasp when you have played some other board games before. But I would have it in the next OP, since it is a fantastic 2p game.

Other games I'd recommend for new-ish players and folks who don't want too heavy and long games would be 7 Wonders Duel, Battle Line, Undaunted: Normandy, Cartographers and Arboretum. Just my 2 cents.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I got a fun new game for Christmas that hopefully will work great for new and experienced board games alike, and is famously beloved and popular among posters here.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The next OP better be Zendo themed or I’m gonna go spare

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I bought Just One, The Crew, and Pit for friends and family

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

The next OP better be Zendo themed or I’m gonna go spare

That'd be a very good choice.

I wrote up a bunch for a new OP this morning then realized that I wasn't likely to have time to tackle anything this week due to work. Here's the pastebin if someone feels adventurous.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Magnetic North posted:

That'd be a very good choice.

I wrote up a bunch for a new OP this morning then realized that I wasn't likely to have time to tackle anything this week due to work. Here's the pastebin if someone feels adventurous.

Every game needs a description. Just having a bunch of names with no context is dumb and not helpful. And why is Tak on there over Go, and Caylus is recommended for new people? Wasn’t the OP supposed to be “easily available new player only” games?

If we’re going to put Black Lives Matter/Stop Asian Hate/etc on the OP, can it be relevant to board games? When was a time this came up in a board game?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 27, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

can it be relevant to board games?

No, it's fine if it isn't specifically tied to any board games

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

If we’re going to put Black Lives Matter/Stop Asian Hate/etc on the OP, can it be relevant to board games? When was a time this came up in a board game?

From this alone I assume you're a white cis dude

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Counterpoint: it already is

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

Counterpoint: it already is

Yeah, edited my post cause I realized after just saying no could be read very wrong lol

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Slimy Hog posted:

From this alone I assume you're a white cis dude

I’m in the DSA and routinely volunteer for the aforementioned causes. Let’s not throw rocks.

It’s just dumb to shoehorn it in as virtue signaling in a board game thread if there’s no direct to the subject at hand. I’m pretty sure SA is generally “on board” with it already.

Can we not find any instance of where any of the above ties in to board gaming?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's been quite a number of threads on BGG requiring a poo poo ton of moderation and bans discussing race and inclusivity in the last few years.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I’m in the DSA and routinely volunteer for the aforementioned causes. Let’s not throw rocks.

It’s just dumb to shoehorn it in as virtue signaling in a board game thread if there’s no direct to the subject at hand. I’m pretty sure SA is generally “on board” with it already.

Can we not find any instance of where any of the above ties in to board gaming?

What I'm saying is that only a white cis dude will say things like "racism isn't related to this hobby"

Edit:

Also lol at saying "don't virtue signal" after your first sentence

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

needs a section on how kdm is too good for this thread to talk about

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Every game needs a description. Just having a bunch of names with no context is dumb and not helpful. And why is Tak on there over Go, and Caylus is recommended for new people? Wasn’t the OP supposed to be “easily available new player only” games?

the draft OP explains why it is relevant like one sentence before, hth.