Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

This is such bullshit anyway, loss of smell/taste was already a minority of people who got covid. There is nothing to back this up except hearsay. The same thing they're doing when they say it's mild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

katamari damacy. stream it and I'll be there.

It’s magical to watch someone enjoy it tor the first time.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Business Gorillas posted:

Need some help in deciding what bibeo game I try for the first time as the holidays end and the Hell Winter begins:

- katamari damacy
- goose game
- god of war

Katamari is awesome and has a great soundtrack but playing it on a big screen tv gave me motion sickness which was pretty funny.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Business Gorillas posted:

Need some help in deciding what bibeo game I try for the first time as the holidays end and the Hell Winter begins:

- katamari damacy
- goose game
- god of war

Katamari Damacy is pure distilled joy. You cannot go wrong with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WarEternal posted:

This is such bullshit anyway, loss of smell/taste was already a minority of people who got covid. There is nothing to back this up except hearsay. The same thing they're doing when they say it's mild.

Yeah they said the same about Delta symptoms, but surveys showed that the proportion of symptoms changed little. They just all increased in prevalence, across the board. So the average person had more symptoms, but they didn’t skew toward or against anything in particular.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Platystemon posted:

Yeah they said the same about Delta symptoms, but surveys showed that the proportion of symptoms changed little. They just all increased in prevalence, across the board. So the average person had more symptoms, but they didn’t skew toward or against anything in particular.

Nearly everyone I've seen pushing the idea that Omicron has more cold-like symptoms was someone who was already pushing the "Omicron is just a common cold" narrative.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Egg Moron posted:

In indianapolis visiting significant others family. Did extended family Xmas yesterday. Doing a baby shower today.

poo poo happens.

poo poo happens is a slang phrase that is used as a simple existential observation that life is full of unpredictable events, similar to "c'est la vie".

you catching covid is not an unpredictable event, nor is your apparently pre-planned and unnecessary socializing. therefore, it remains unclear what you mean by “poo poo happens”

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

WarEternal posted:

Sore throat and congestion were also part of even WT as I recall. Like the early stages of a symptomatic infection of COVID almost always presented as legit just a cold or a mild flu, as I recall. Part of why the masses latched on to the anosmia thing; it was the one tell-tale COVID symptom so they could delude themselves into thinking as long as they didn't have that one, they were fine.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1475137525597581320?s=21

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Our leaders have poo poo for brains and have totally hosed us over because they just straight-up let this happen, lmao

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

nigel thornberry posted:

poo poo happens is a slang phrase that is used as a simple existential observation that life is full of unpredictable events, similar to "c'est la vie".

you catching covid is not an unpredictable event, nor is your apparently pre-planned and unnecessary socializing. therefore, it remains unclear what you mean by “poo poo happens”

It's almost like just stopping your life for two years while everyone not in this thread sucks and fucks like normal isn't viable for most people who aren't childless wfhers

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Platystemon posted:

We finally have a peer review on this one.

Maybe now liberals will give a poo poo.

Omicron escapes the majority of existing SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies

They will not.

did you see the author list?

quote:

Yunlong Cao , Jing Wang , Fanchong Jian , Tianhe Xiao , Weiliang Song , Ayijiang Yisimayi , Weijin Huang , Qianqian Li , Peng Wang , Ran An , Jing Wang , Yao Wang , Xiao Niu , Sijie Yang , Hui Liang , Haiyan Sun , Tao Li , Yuanling Yu , Qianqian Cui , Shuo Liu , Xiaodong Yang , Shuo Du , Zhiying Zhang , Xiaohua Hao , Fei Shao , Ronghua Jin , Xiangxi Wang , Junyu Xiao , Youchun Wang & Xiaoliang Sunney Xie

this is clearly china trying to trick us into a disastrous lockdown, we need to not give in to chinese fear

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

COVID: not injurious

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bullfrog posted:

who else just sits back sometimes like "haha. this is loving insane. wow"

i hate historical moments
yeah other than protecting myself and those I care about, that's all I can do

also lol,
https://twitter.com/BetaMomma/status/1475100038648979459?t=GS3bW1u2P4Ei0wlGcVGrsA&s=19
https://twitter.com/BetaMomma/status/1475130860110327812?t=5aBjJVCl_C930snZHyXZ2g&s=19

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Rhesus Pieces posted:

this but replace "health system" with "overall economy"

if this thing keeps spreading the way it is right now (and it will), everyone is gonna get sick within the next 2-3 weeks and nobody is going to be able to show up for work

even in some ridiculously optimistic scenario where 60% of cases are asymptomatic it will still be devastating

now might be a really good time to stock up on poo poo, ngl

I’ve been saying this to everyone who pulls the “mild” argument, even if it is less severe this country is about to have more people sick at the exact same time than we have ever had and it’s going to derail more than just our healthcare system

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/SMU_Football/status/1474842032409559047?s=20
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1475132091591442442?s=20
https://twitter.com/SMU_Football/status/1475121714417651716?s=20

lol

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

My gf's parents, despite having no knonw exposures or symptoms, got a PCR test before getting together with family for christmas dinner. Said they showed up to the testing clinic, the staff made them fill out paperwork and when they said they'd prefer to do that outside, staff literally locked them in the clinic with a bunch of probably positive people because they were the last tests before the clinic closed. Also everyone was wearing a cloth mask.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Wang Commander posted:

It's almost like just stopping your life for two years while everyone not in this thread sucks and fucks like normal isn't viable for most people who aren't childless wfhers

pretty sure ppl who have kids and don’t wfh don’t have to go to an extended family Christmas and then baby shower the very next day, but ok I guess?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I love how trying to force our way through this is just leading to everyone being sad, stressed out, and angry all the time

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

The Superbowl is going to be funny this year. Are both teams just going to hide their infections and play through it or are we going to have half the starting lines out sick with covid?

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Anyone know any good non-chud or minimal chudthink prepper type sites? I'd like to get some good nonperishable food and figure out what other emergency resources might be needed.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

I love how trying to force our way through this is just leading to everyone being sad, stressed out, and angry all the time

Yep, and all we really had to do was stay the gently caress inside from January to March 2021 and this would all be history. That's all! But instead we're gonna generate an entire sector of the economy dedicated to managing eternal COVID.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

mycomancy posted:

Yep, and all we really had to do was stay the gently caress inside from January to March 2021 and this would all be history. That's all! But instead we're gonna generate an entire sector of the economy dedicated to managing eternal COVID.
The Onion’s “no way to prevent this” article, but for covid instead of mass shootings.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Louisgod posted:

may be a weird question but are people just experiencing winter allergies/sinus stuff for the first time in their lives, or is everybody here just hyper aware of any changes in their body? every winter I enjoy sinus pressure, stuffy noses and nasal drips so it’s nothing new.

My allergies magically switched on one spring when I was 26 so it really could be allergies. I thought I had a sinus infection at the time.

(Lol I just realized I haven't experienced spring allergies for two years)

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

nigel thornberry posted:

tubgirling a massive shot of diarrhea into my own mouth

poo poo happens yknow. it just happens. wygd.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

the contradictions do seem to be heightened af lmao

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

JBP posted:

No bullshit question is America hard to live in? I went there once and they advertised prescription medications on tv which was quite incredible.

I mean I get it monetarily being bad but otherwise is it constantly stressful?

E: this seems like the place to ask for a brisk and forthright appraisal

I live 200 feet away from what was one of the the wealthiest blocks in America in the mid 20th century and now I can't go outside at night without risking getting mugged, I witnessed someone get gunned down on a drug corner a few years ago, and it's hard to understate how stressful it is to have a complete lack of quiet every night due to the police helicopters constantly circling after dark, making low swoops, and occasionally shining their spotlight in my windows.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ram dass in hell posted:

tubgirling a massive shot of diarrhea into my own mouth

poo poo happens yknow. it just happens. wygd.

America is tubgirl, but instead of firing clam chowder out of our rear end and into our face it's a stream of pure coronavirus particles.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

JBP posted:

No bullshit question is America hard to live in? I went there once and they advertised prescription medications on tv which was quite incredible.

I mean I get it monetarily being bad but otherwise is it constantly stressful?

E: this seems like the place to ask for a brisk and forthright appraisal

it's a constant existential nightmare yes, your neighbors, government, employer, and economy at large are all trying to kill you 24/7 and this is pre-pandemic

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

the SMU equipment truck made it all the way to CT, got stuck on the Merritt because they didn't get how the Merritt works, all for nothing lol

https://twitter.com/HorselessAge/status/1474793223197532166?s=20

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
My cousin who is a Doctor is just as doombrained as us and I'm so thankful. He and I are the only ones to cancel our Christmas plans

:ninja: edit:. Lol I just saw I misspelled elastomeric

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 26, 2021

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Zeriel posted:

The Superbowl is going to be funny this year. Are both teams just going to hide their infections and play through it or are we going to have half the starting lines out sick with covid?

the NFL stopped testing asymptomatic players

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Goobish posted:

I am so loving sorry man. I try to educate antivax on N95 and validate their fears of government, because there are definite reasons people feel that way. It rarely works but I'm not okay with people being left to die either. Like I cannot live with myself if I don't try at least once every wave.

Thanks. It just keeps wearing me down. The immunocompromised family member I was scrambling to get into a voluntary isolation unit just tested positive, and it just makes me want to throw up my hands.

I get the newsletter from the Regimental Association and the obituaries and emails about members falling ill or in hospital are now coming in several times a day. A lot of that is the Greatest Generation being in their 90’s of course, but these emails used to be weekly.

It’s seeing all of this going on at the same time - the consequences and the inaction - that’s driving me crazy.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

the SMU equipment truck made it all the way to CT, got stuck on the Merritt because they didn't get how the Merritt works, all for nothing lol

lmaoooo

nothing makes my day more than seeing some trucker stuck on the Merritt tbh

still brings a smile to my face even when their idiocy leaves me stuck on the Sikorsky bridge for an hour

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

all of sudden everything is being canceled i don’t get it???

https://twitter.com/peteburke/status/1475148679665364992?s=21

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Rhesus Pieces posted:

this happens almost weekly on the parkways in NY

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mycomancy posted:

we didn't have to lock down for a year. all we had to do was stay inside until total cases dropped below a level where comprehensive contact tracing and partial lockdowns methods could be implemented, wear n95s as they became available, and socially distance.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ScooterCasterNY/status/1475145320749277196?s=20

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Zodium posted:

we didn't have to lock down for a year. all we had to do was stay inside until total cases dropped below a level where comprehensive contact tracing and partial lockdowns methods could be implemented, wear n95s as they became available, and socially distance.

I wasn't suggesting a year. I was suggesting two months, January 2021 to March 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i'm glad that covid is loving up sportsball for everyone

i hope it never recovers