Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Victar posted:

https://nypost.com/2021/12/21/biden-sending-covid-test-sites-1k-troops-to-ease-nyc-lines/

I've been reading how the Feds dispatched 1,000 military members to hospitals to help out overwhelmed US hospitals, which is good, but... why only 1,000? Why not a lot more than that?

It's a thousand on top of the existing numbers, and in addition to other federal emergency response teams. Here's the handout that went with the Tuesday presser.

Generally find other sources than the new york post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It really can't be expressed enough, and their needs to be actual investigative reporting or documentary with people.that we're front and center in NYC, cause just the friends I have that were there the things they saw were jaw dropping

the Times was doing it throughout 2020.

A solid episode of The Daily l, detailing, in part, how ambulances couldn't take patients to overflow hospitals because of existing contracts between ems companies and hospitals that no one was willing to override or break:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/podcasts/the-daily/new-york-hospitals-covid.html

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You had nyfd loving everyone by refusing to transport patients and mandating that patients be sent to hospitals literally storing patients in the ambulance bay while hospitals in more affluent areas were bypassed and not nearly as bad. Some of the poorer hospitals got eviscerated by actions that centered on just sheer ineptitude and outright malice at times by the people in charge

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Cool maybe you can tell that to the family of someone who died from a heart attack while waiting for a bed to open up.

The unvaccinated are selfish fucks who prefer to risk murdering the elderly or weak immune because they cant get enough Applebees. There's also countless stories of them spitting on nurses too.

Maybe your whole family is like this? Beats me why you're defending this poo poo.

Is it irony when someone rants about a group of people being "selfish fucks", even as they advocate for denying medical care to that group?

How about leaving triage to the actual fuckin medical professionals

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Main Paineframe posted:

Is it irony when someone rants about a group of people being "selfish fucks", even as they advocate for denying medical care to that group?

*People don't want to get vaccinated because they think the microchips will make them magnetic*
Main Paineframe: You have every right to do your own research and decide what is right

*People want to prioritize medical care to those already vaccinated and that have a better chance*
Main Painframe: You should only listen to medical professionals!

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/health-care-workers-compassion-fatigue-vaccine-refusers/619716/ posted:

“What makes me the maddest,” one of my doctor friends told me, “is that these people will reject science right until the second they need everything I have to keep them alive, and then they feel that they can come to our door and be entitled to that help and that hard work.” This friend is characterizing the inconsistency in the behavior she sees in people declining a vaccine but then demanding medical care based on the same science. That inconsistency feels, to her and to other dedicated medical professionals trying to survive this pandemic, very much like dishonesty.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-12-10/covid-anti-vax-confrontations posted:

You’re not going to have doctors willing to be public health officers if people are going to go to their houses and threaten them and their families.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article256444451.html posted:

Lawson said she later learned, through law enforcement, that the group planned to produce a video about her that would include footage of her house and neighborhood.

She said she decided to go public about what happened to shed light on the “reprehensible, unacceptable tactics of intimidation.”

“As a former elected official, a current state Medical Board appointee, and the daughter of a physician, I believe deeply in a robust public dialogue about healthcare,” Lawson said in a statement. “But it is one thing to protest at the state building; this sort of terrifying behavior is just beyond the pale. As a mother, I fielt deeply violated and scared for my kids in our own home – and I feared for my own personal safety as a woman being surrounded by strange men in a dark parking garage.”

Anti Vaxxers are scum. Its not irony when getting a harmless vaccine takes about minutes compared to taking up a bed and wasting precious resources. Doctors are afraid just for being doctors.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 26, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I've been wearing n95's for diy projects for over a decade, lol at the CDC

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You could launch a public education campaign.

Or you could pretend that ER staff require 40 hours of in-person training to figure out how to put on a mask.

Let's go with option 2!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I've ranted about this before, but the fact that I'm forced to take off an N95 and put on a surgical mask to go to my renal transplant clinic should be considered medical malpractice (especially considering that refusal to go to said clinic puts me at risk of getting the dreaded "non-compliant" label and not being able to get on the list if I need another kidney).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Victar posted:

https://nypost.com/2021/12/21/biden-sending-covid-test-sites-1k-troops-to-ease-nyc-lines/

I've been reading how the Feds dispatched 1,000 military members to hospitals to help out overwhelmed US hospitals, which is good, but... why only 1,000? Why not a lot more than that?

having more people around usually makes things slower and less efficient, particularly if they are untrained, and especially so if they need to be trained by the people currently running things

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
A large proportion of the unvaxxed are young and POC. Older white chuds with underlying health conditions who just want to eat maskless at Applebees and have their families attacking healthcare workers when they end up in the ICU are not the only unvaccinated population.

Thankfully that trend seems to be somewhat reduced recently based on CDC data:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographic

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

A large proportion of the unvaxxed are young and POC. Older white chuds with underlying health conditions who just want to eat maskless at Applebees and have their families attacking healthcare workers when they end up in the ICU are not the only unvaccinated population.

Thankfully that trend seems to be somewhat reduced recently based on CDC data:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographic

A dark way of looking at it is because the chuds are dying and aren't being replaced as fast.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Herstory Begins Now posted:

having more people around usually makes things slower and less efficient, particularly if they are untrained, and especially so if they need to be trained by the people currently running things

The people that the feds send are trained, but trained for military facilities and military medics aren't 1:1 civilian medics. There's differences in some things. Nurses and docs are specialized but they are functionally the same. However every facility is different, and uses different emr systems, protocols, and policies. It makes it difficult to just toss bodies at the problem especially if the people you put there have only ever worked in a military setting. The VA emr is massively different from epic and sorian which are two fairly different systems in general to each other. We dont talk about allscript or Medtronic they don't exist in actual functioning hospitals ok.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

enki42 posted:

I've ranted about this before, but the fact that I'm forced to take off an N95 and put on a surgical mask to go to my renal transplant clinic should be considered medical malpractice (especially considering that refusal to go to said clinic puts me at risk of getting the dreaded "non-compliant" label and not being able to get on the list if I need another kidney).

You're in my province where the COVID numbers are basically "lol lmao" at this point.

(10k+ with positivity somewhere in the 20s?)

They won't let you just put the surgical over the N95? Do they even understand how masks work? I think they think they're just magical talismans at this point

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Isentropy posted:

You're in my province where the COVID numbers are basically "lol lmao" at this point.

(10k+ with positivity somewhere in the 20s?)

They won't let you just put the surgical over the N95? Do they even understand how masks work? I think they think they're just magical talismans at this point

Depends on the screeners, but there's some that absolutely will not let you. I get that my N95 might be something I've been carrying around for a month and no longer effective, and random screeners can't and probably shouldn't verify that, but I dunno, maybe give high risk patients proper PPE?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nm

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

enki42 posted:

Depends on the screeners, but there's some that absolutely will not let you. I get that my N95 might be something I've been carrying around for a month and no longer effective, and random screeners can't and probably shouldn't verify that, but I dunno, maybe give high risk patients proper PPE?

Is it legal to give someone who isn't a fit tested employee a respirator?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Professor Beetus posted:

At a certain point you have to accept that living in society means having to look out for everyone regardless.

Not according to the neoliberal scumbags that run this country

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Wang Commander posted:

Is it legal to give someone who isn't a fit tested employee a respirator?

I'm sure there's no actual law written anywhere, but yeah I'm sure it's a liability nightmare.

It's for sure a catch-22 that they can't verify that your mask is OK, but also can't give you a mask that they know is OK, but this feels like something where some creativity would be warranted. I had someone ahead of me a couple of weeks ago that refused to wear a mask and got a face shield instead and was let into the hospital, but then I'm denied wearing a N95. That is just obviously insane on it's face that you can go practically completely unprotected but oh no, we can't know with 100% certainty that the actually good PPE you have on isn't expired, so you're not allowed to use it because you might be marginally less then 100% protected.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wow are they still doing it? FFP2 masks have been mandatory here (most of Europe) forever now. Obviously idiots can still wear them on their chins but even with imperfect fit they must be better than surgical or cloth masks.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

enki42 posted:

I'm sure there's no actual law written anywhere, but yeah I'm sure it's a liability nightmare.

It's for sure a catch-22 that they can't verify that your mask is OK, but also can't give you a mask that they know is OK, but this feels like something where some creativity would be warranted. I had someone ahead of me a couple of weeks ago that refused to wear a mask and got a face shield instead and was let into the hospital, but then I'm denied wearing a N95. That is just obviously insane on it's face that you can go practically completely unprotected but oh no, we can't know with 100% certainty that the actually good PPE you have on isn't expired, so you're not allowed to use it because you might be marginally less then 100% protected.

It's...a number of things as far as I can tell.

1. The face shield thing is in most places a pre-approved exemption and has to be approved prior to the visit by the hospital, usually for mental health reasons they have to accommodate IIRC. It's not the screener making the call.

2. The screeners have no way of knowing what you have on your face is real and they don't have the time or resources to check. Not just "is it fit tested or old" but "is it real PPE"? There's still a lot of concern about counterfeit N95s and KN95s with basically no protection and whatnot whether it's warranted or not. Easier to just give someone a procedure mask they know is a procedure mask.

3. Having consistent rules means the screeners don't have to be yelled at or abused as much by angry assholes wearing t-shirts on their face or whatever on why person A gets to wear their mask from home but they don't. Same rules for everyone.

4. The current Ontario IPAC guidance for HCWs (don't think there's a specific one for patients I can find) generally treats procedure masks and non-fit tested N95s as equivalent so if you can't trust the mask people bring from home and have to give a new one out, might as well give out a procedure mask since you don't have the ability to fit test patients anyway. There's less room for creativity than you might think, hospitals generally will follow any Public Health or Ministry guidance pretty closely.

https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/updated-ipac-measures-covid-19.pdf?sc_lang=en

Keep in mind the guidance was only just updated to indicate fitted N95s should be worn when treating confirmed or suspected patients with COVID, not just aerosol generating procedures.

It sucks and it's frustrating, I get it.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 26, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like "surgical masks are worthless" is a thing that gets repeated a lot but doesn't seem to have anything backing it up. All the studies they do with them show marginally less filtration but like, negligible difference in infections.

Surgical masks are called that for a reason, they are really widely used in medical settings. People have been trying to figure out how to make them at least passably good for a century.

Cloth masks and teeshirt masks and gaiters and stuff seem actually not great, but all the studies with surgical masks seem to find they are absolutely fine.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

1. The face shield thing is in most places a pre-approved exemption and has to be approved prior to the visit by the hospital, usually for mental health reasons they have to accommodate IIRC. It's not the screener making the call.

This might be something to look into then, if they can get the face shield exemption shouldn't be an issue to wear an N95 under it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like "surgical masks are worthless" is a thing that gets repeated a lot but doesn't seem to have anything backing it up. All the studies they do with them show marginally less filtration but like, negligible difference in infections.

Surgical masks are called that for a reason, they are really widely used in medical settings. People have been trying to figure out how to make them at least passably good for a century.

Cloth masks and teeshirt masks and gaiters and stuff seem actually not great, but all the studies with surgical masks seem to find they are absolutely fine.

surgical masks protect against large droplets. they do not protect against small droplet inhalation. they primarily protect the patient on the table and the sterilized medical equipment.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/healthcarehsps/respiratory.html

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You had nyfd loving everyone by refusing to transport patients and mandating that patients be sent to hospitals literally storing patients in the ambulance bay while hospitals in more affluent areas were bypassed and not nearly as bad. Some of the poorer hospitals got eviscerated by actions that centered on just sheer ineptitude and outright malice at times by the people in charge

I read about this happening in Los Angeles at last year's height: People on Medicaid were sent to the swamped public hospitals, while medical centers like UCLA's were only accepting privately insured patients who were in their networks.

I assume it's just an extension of our entire insurance- and network-based provider system, but every time I read about "no beds available" in a particular hospital I wonder if that's because other hospitals in the area aren't accepting patients on Medicaid.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got Pfizer for two doses, but everyone's telling me I should get the Moderna booster. Should I? Or is it better to stick with the one I got in the first place?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Switching it up always seems a good idea

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I got 3x Pfizer (boosted in August) and just picked up a breakthrough infection. YMMV.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is absolutely my take as well. You can do all sorts of "models" where N95s will prevent aerosols or smoke transfer better than surgical masks, but epidemiologic studies on infection prevention with masking so no meaningful difference.
Medical grade surgical masks (which are fluid impervious and therefore don't get saturated with vapor from breath and lose filtration efficiency) and absolutely fine for source control and protection.

Barycka K, Szarpak L, Filipiak KJ, et al. Comparative effectiveness of N95 respirators and surgical/face masks in preventing airborne infections in the era of SARS-CoV2 pandemic: A meta-analysis of randomized trials. PLoS One. 2020;15(12):e0242901.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hawklad posted:

I got 3x Pfizer (boosted in August) and just picked up a breakthrough infection. YMMV.

Everyone is, boosters seem to be the deciding factor for how sick you get.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Welp. I drank the same water bottle as a covid positive person.

I am triple booster and I'm at 5 days with 5 negative tests and no symptoms.

3rd booster protecting amazing?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, covid trip report.

my girlfriend got her first shot of moderna in early march, her second shot of moderna in early april, and another full dose of moderna in late august. she first tested positive on the 17th. had a cough and some sneezing the first few days. she lost about 80% of her taste after, but that has slowly recovered. she says her taste is still slightly off, but it's improving daily. hasn't shown any major issues at all, has been working fine, etc. still tested positive on friday.

got my j&j in early march, a shot of pfizer, full dose, in early august, and a shot of moderna, full dose, earlier this month. i almost certainly caught the virus from her (we live together and have been in close contact, 24hr/day, for the last few weeks). i first tested positive on the 21st. about the same symptoms as her during my first few days, but those have waned. i now have a metallic taste in my mouth that comes and goes. no major issues, have been working fine, etc. still tested positive on friday.

get a booster or another full dose.

also, if you're in tucson, they have free pcr tests at the airport. plenty of availabilities too.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 26, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

enki42 posted:

OSHA regulation mainlyq

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

UCS Hellmaker posted:

OSHA regulation mainlyq

Canada, but yeah I'd assume something similar from whatever regulatory body we have.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Maybe this is being overly self-centered, but I think this can be reasonable advice for the general public, and less so for people who are taking medicine that has the express purpose of making your body drastically less capable of recognizing foreign tissue and mounting an immune response.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My wife is triple vaxxed and working through a not-mild case. The rest of us are masking 24/7 on a different level of the house. We'll probably get it anyway.

Gambling on vaccines and assuming they'd be enough was never an appropriate and safe public strategy. Millions of people went back to their normal lives when they shouldn't have, because 2 straight presidencies and the CDC willfully downplayed things at every step.

Ugh. Stay safe everyone. Dont do stuff in public.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

FistEnergy posted:

My wife is triple vaxxed and working through a not-mild case. The rest of us are masking 24/7 on a different level of the house. We'll probably get it anyway.

Gambling on vaccines and assuming they'd be enough was never an appropriate and safe public strategy. Millions of people went back to their normal lives when they shouldn't have, because 2 straight presidencies and the CDC willfully downplayed things at every step.

Ugh. Stay safe everyone. Dont do stuff in public.

If you have a HEPA filter give it to her and tell her to keep it on at all times

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Denmark - 26 December

Big jump overnight in cases, should be interesting to see if it shows up in a week in a sudden rise in hospitalization. Also coming up in a day or two on a week since the 21 Devember case spike - maybe this is a 5-day lag from that spike?

In any event hospitalizations still not spiralling, nor are ICU or vent cases. As delta is pushed out of the picture and omicron takes over, so far not seeing a marked increase in that, and on 21 December omicron was already somewhere around 70% of cases.

pre:
Denmark Covid Cases
------------------------------------
Dec 26 14,844 new cases, 644 reinfections, 123 new hospitalization (579 total), 71 ICU (-2), 43 Vent (+1), 13 dead
Dec 25 10,027 new cases, 463 reinfections, 86 new hospitalization (522 total), 73 ICU (-1), 44 Vent (+5), 10 dead
Dec 24 11,229 new cases, 527 reinfections, 134 new hospitalizations (509 total), 74 ICU (+2), 39 vent (+1), 14 dead
Dec 23 12,487 new cases, 613 reinfections, 158 new hospitalizations (541 total), 72 ICU (+6), 38 vent (+1), 15 dead
Dec 22 13,386 new cases, 531 reinfections, 126 new hospitalization (524 total), 66 ICU (-1), 37 vent(+2), 14 dead 
Dec 21 13,558 new cases, 501 reinfections, 121 new hospitalization (526 total), 67 ICU (+1), 35 vent(+2) , 17 dead
Dec 20 10,082 (553 hospitalized)
Dec 19 8,212
Dec 18 8,594
Dec 17 11,194
Dec 16 9,999
Dec 15 8,773
Since yesterday, rates per 100,000 population. Not sure what to say about this except again, big uptick in cases for all 3 classes. Hospitalizations maybe tick up in unvaccinated but not seeing it in partial or full populations.
pre:
                                  Unvaccinated              Partial           Full                           Unvaccinated    Partial    Full
26 DEC    New cases:                     310.4                274.9          241.2    Hospitalizations:              39.0       15.4    7.3
25 DEC    New cases:                     181.6                162.1          161.5    Hospitalizations:              33.9       16.0    6.8
24 DEC    New cases:                     184.1                173.0          182.1    Hospitalizations:              34.5       14.9    7.1
23 DEC    New cases:                     237.1                202.6          197.9    Hospitalizations:              35.4       16.2    7.5
22 DEC    New cases:                     257.1                198.1          211.7    Hospitalizations:              34.2       15.3    7.3
21 DEC    New cases:                     270.1                226.2          207.8    Hospitalizations:              32.9       14.3    7.5

Omicron percentage of variant tests jumped to 70-75% from 60% or so yesterday. A lot of PCR numbers take a few days to make their way to SSI so the numbers wobble and stop at 22 December

Todays report on PCR tests for Omicron as a percentage of variant tests show that Denmark is probably well over 80% by now in Omicron.
pre:
1.77% on 1 December
4.8% on 6 December
10.17% on 8 December
22.06% on 12 December
37.97% on 14 December
50% on 17 December
60% on 20 December
70% on 21 December
76% on 22 December
79.31% on 23 December (only 29 tests though)

Sources:
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/242ec2acc014456295189631586f1d26
https://covid19.ssi.dk/virusvarianter/delta-pcr

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 26, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Does Denmark publish positive rates? The plateauing followed by additional rise makes me wonder if you're closing in on your testing capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

FistEnergy posted:

This is where differences in epistemology and attitudes towards authority have come into play. A substantial minority of Americans still believes in following "expert" advice. In other words they grant legitimacy to a certain authority. Another substantial minority rejects that entirely, thanks to a preexisting political narrative, even going so far as to declare that authority illegitimate thanks to moral failings (e.g. pizzagate, bill gates, "big pharma", even the opioid crisis).

When the results of both of these sensemaking processes turn out to be wrong in an incredibly predictable fashion, one really has to wonder 1. what information hasn't reached the audiences and/or 2. what preexisting political narratives have misframed the information. Conversely you can look at people or groups who turned out to be correct and see how they processed what information differently, maybe with different a priori assumptions.

Anyway, good luck!