Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Anyway have some more dire poo poo

https://twitter.com/newhandledre/status/1474142439778795521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Typically it goes something like they're distrustful or hiding something because it means that they can't trust themselves (with alcohol) or that they did something terrible (while drunk) or that they're some flavor of religious weirdo

Also it's more fun to drink if you're drinking with someone else so everyone seems to have this automatic urge to make sure everyone else gets drunk too for maximum fun. I don't think most of the stuff you mentioned even crosses peoples' minds when they're in the moment trying to get someone to drink, it's prolly more just "c'monnnn it's weird if I get sloshed and you don't" etc.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also also if you're already a bit drunk this can quickly become in your head "wow, sober buddy here doesn't want me to have as much fun and I must convince them otherwise". Like I've definitely seen people act like you owe it to them to get drunk too.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

here's you, a common drunk, vs me, someone who doesnt poison my body with that devil broth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNjjK8SNaDI

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRbj1Q4tXNo
this is me

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Lol this is definitely from self-reported data

That seems likely but I wonder if that means the real consumption is lower or higher?
I'd imagine different groups are more prone to over- or underestimate, but if the number for the tenth decile is even close to the truth that is some scary poo poo. Particularly for the ones at the top within that group...

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

jeebus bob posted:

That seems likely but I wonder if that means the real consumption is lower or higher?
I'd imagine different groups are more prone to over- or underestimate, but if the number for the tenth decile is even close to the truth that is some scary poo poo. Particularly for the ones at the top within that group...

Higher across the board, everyone is going to underreport especially at either end

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Higher across the board, everyone is going to underreport especially at either end

I think people know if they've had zero drinks or not. It's very easy to count to zero.

Are you saying that people would lie to the pollster out of shame for having >0

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Bloop posted:

I think it's more likely accidental. The poll will ask something like "how many standard drinks did you consume in the past week" and people who don't drink regularly will answer "none" but if they took the time to think back carefully they might remember that one beer they had five days ago or whatever.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jeebus bob posted:

Self-reported data is only equal to about half the amount of alcohol actually purchased in the US, so they simply multiply the self-reported data for each decile by two.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

The Bloop posted:

I think people know if they've had zero drinks or not. It's very easy to count to zero.

There are lots of reasons why people might say zero when it isn't yeah, or a heavy drinker lowballing it

It's a pretty well-known bias, you can easily see it in plenty of stuff like birth control use among catholics or masturbation rates

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is almost no such thing as a product which is sold of any kind which don't have a fat-tailled distribution of thing sold per customer, it's just a matter of the parameters of the fatness of the tail

its why demographic marketing exists

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is almost no such thing as a product which is sold of any kind which don't have a fat-tailled distribution of thing sold per customer, it's just a matter of the parameters of the fatness of the tail

its why demographic marketing exists

Even toilet paper?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bismuth posted:

Even toilet paper?

Especially toilet paper

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
In that case there's a strong correlation between the fat tail of the distribution and the fat tails of the consumers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Debt collection teams break into wrong house: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-59733043

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
what the gently caress. i read the article and i still don't get it. it reads like the break-in would have been acceptable if only they had broken into the right apartment. surely that can't be right. surely

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There are definitely a bunch of "functional" goons in that 10%

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

the trick is to be in the sixth decile and celebrate crimbo by chugging several bottles of brandy back to back

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

~40-60 "drinks" in a handle depending on how you measure that

lowballing i'm still well over 100/week and "functional"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i have just been informed that a pint glass of vodka is not, in fact, "one drink" as I previously believed

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"if i serve myself an entire cake, that's one serving, right?"

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

blatman posted:

i have just been informed that a pint glass of vodka is not, in fact, "one drink" as I previously believed

I think it entirely depends on how many times you lift the glass.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

FFT posted:

take folic acid

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

someusername posted:

take folic acid

https://youtu.be/04acR0H2f5M

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

FFT posted:

That sounds pretty bad, I hope you get some help before it's too late

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

other people posted:

what the gently caress. i read the article and i still don't get it. it reads like the break-in would have been acceptable if only they had broken into the right apartment. surely that can't be right. surely

Their excuse is they were looking for the gas meter to cut off. Of course that apparently was in the basement so why they were in the apartment for 27 minutes..... very odd.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FFT posted:

A handle is 39.45 drinks. A drink is 12 fluid ounces of 5% alcohol beer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

someusername posted:

take folic acid

Any other vitamin tips for alcoholics?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
switch to weed

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
find a therapist who can help
you break the addiction programming with shrooms or acid

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

its not vitamins but i cut 99% of my alcohol consumption by cranking my vanity up to 11

basically if you drink a bunch you start to look like poo poo + I don't have enough personality to compensate for that

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Imagine getting addicted to alcohol, the lamest and most boring of all intoxicants. Just lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

switch to weed

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Charles Ingalls posted:

find a therapist who can help
you break the addiction programming with shrooms or acid

a man falls into the parisian catacombs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hear iron's pretty good for you womb-havers out there

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

switch to weed

Weed definitely follows the same use distribution.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alcohol interferes with your absorption of B vitamins, so those are important. Nutritional yeast has insanely high amount of them. Spinach, eggs, chicken, fish, and sunflower seeds are also good.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

other people posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what exactly a debt collection team is, and what they're allowed to do.

At first I was thinking they just break into your home and take stuff of the approximate value of what you owe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bodyholes posted:

Weed definitely follows the same use distribution.

what does this mean