Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

How are u posted:

Extremely rude things to say about the U.S.S.R.'s successor state.

If only they had their economy liberalized and had leadership aligned with Western liberals. That would make it better there.

(Touches earpiece) I'm receiving some disturbing new information about the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Best Friends posted:

If only they had their economy liberalized and had leadership aligned with Western liberals. That would make it better there.

(Touches earpiece) I'm receiving some disturbing new information about the 90s

can you imagine how much better off russia would be with a leader wholly aligned toward US interests

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

i say swears online posted:

can you imagine how much better off russia would be with a leader wholly aligned toward US interests

Did you get hit with the CIA bluepill gun

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

havin' a sin drone

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
If only Russia would be ruled by independent national interests and would be free to develop internally with major capital in the state's hands

*2000-2021 calls* hello

oh my god

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I feel like Russia could be a very economically powerful country if it wasn't ruled by scumbags? I mean I think it has a lot of natural resources right? Lots of oil and gas etc. And a strong industrial base? I mean if it was used for something other than making military weapons. And it's a truly massive country so I'm sure that's good for something. I don't know I could be totally wrong but I feel like Russia could be in one of the top economic spots in the world if the government wasn't basically the Mafia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russia with less low-level corruption and a more technocratic government would be a sight to behold, yes. It’s not a land that’s lacking in all that much.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Compare Belarus to the Baltic republics. That's what the difference is. Russia has oil and gas, but beyond that their economy is as undeveloped as Belarus.

e: this is all the fault of USA and/or Jewish cabal.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
20 years after WW2 the USSR was winning the space race and going through a major housing project to provide apartments to people

20 years after the 90s ended Putin raised the minimum wage by 12 eur to 166 eur

Political will matters a lot and the russian elite deserves lampposts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nenonen posted:

e: this is all the fault of USA and/or Jewish cabal.

are you comparing HW bush encouraging the kleptocracy in the early 90s to the protocols of the elders of zion

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Somaen posted:

If only Russia would be ruled by independent national interests and would be free to develop internally with major capital in the state's hands

*2000-2021 calls* hello

oh my god

So you're saying Western liberalization and "pro democracy" movements will support corrupt leaders who don't actually care at all about democracy, and who eventually hand power off to someone who won't be Western friendly? If that were truly the case, I'd expect the biggest fans of liberalization movements to learn something, unless "supporting democracy" was never the actual goal.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia with less low-level corruption and a more technocratic government would be a sight to behold, yes.

Please no gay propaganda itt

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Best Friends posted:

So you're saying Western liberalization and "pro democracy" movements will support corrupt leaders who don't actually care at all about democracy, and who eventually hand power off to someone who won't be Western friendly? If that were truly the case, I'd expect the biggest fans of liberalization movements to learn something, unless "supporting democracy" was never the actual goal.

Do you have any skin in the situation or are you here to yanksplain poo poo?

Definitely up for learning something provided that you have insights into the historic period paying proper respect to the agency of the countries in question and not waiting for a chance to self-fellate on the "America is Bad" topic

Somaen fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 26, 2021

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Somaen posted:

tbf Russia having no agency ever is extremely on brand for the thread

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Plucky lil putin.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Somaen posted:

Buddy, the majority of posters here on D&D come every day because they've conjured up something to criticize America about.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arzachel posted:

tbf Russia having no agency ever is extremely on brand for the thread

Russian oligarchs would be less thieving if only not for the dastardly HW encouraging them!
(because Soviet Union, of course, had no corruption...)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sometimes I don't get this level of propaganda. It makes zero sense to even the stupidest observers.

Joint Forces Operation: 1 ceasefire violation yesterday

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
no no no, oligarchs just spontaneously materialised all over russia one day in 1992. clearly some nefarious plot by americans. maybe some DARPA superweapon

nothing to do with disastrous economic policies of the late USSR, nothing to do with the existence of shadow economy that rivalled the official one in size and ran on a "who knows who" basis and was fertile grounds for all sorts of criminal shenanigans, nothing to do with the tremendously overgrown and festering security apparatus which revelled in the opportunity to join in on the aforementioned shenanigans, building new wealth and new capital and new power one thermorectal cryptoanalysis session at a time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It’s been a really long time since I’ve last seen that Lurkmore reference in the wild. That said, I’m fairly certain you and OddObserver are in agreement, unless I’m losing my way in this onion of ironic sarcasm.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s been a really long time since I’ve last seen that Lurkmore reference in the wild. That said, I’m fairly certain you and OddObserver are in agreement, unless I’m losing my way in this onion of ironic sarcasm.

i mean, it's a reference to a very real and very horrible thing first and foremost (irl torture tends to be much less imaginative and much more banal than how it gets presented in the media, which makes it that much more revolting)

and yeah, i'm not disagreeing with OddObserver, this was more aimed at folks doing the yanksplaining

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fair enough, and yeah irl you’ll just get kicked in the kidneys instead.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think anyone thinks America invented corruption in Russia. I do think that the posters like how are u who are huge fans of American foreign policy need to have a think about a guy like Putin was directly put in power by America's friend and ally Yeltsin.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nurmie posted:

no no no, oligarchs just spontaneously materialised all over russia one day in 1992. clearly some nefarious plot by americans. maybe some DARPA superweapon

nothing to do with disastrous economic policies of the late USSR, nothing to do with the existence of shadow economy that rivalled the official one in size and ran on a "who knows who" basis and was fertile grounds for all sorts of criminal shenanigans, nothing to do with the tremendously overgrown and festering security apparatus which revelled in the opportunity to join in on the aforementioned shenanigans, building new wealth and new capital and new power one thermorectal cryptoanalysis session at a time

yes, but we already knew stalin was right

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Truga posted:

yes, but we already knew stalin was right

i see you're quite into overgrown, bloated, festering state security apparatuses

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
There was definitely a huge missed opportunity for the West to properly integrate Russia into the global community, but it's not entirely their fault. For better or worse other Eastern European countries, with the notable exception of Belarus, have come a long way towards doing so and largely posted concrete gains in quality of life and freedom of expression.

As others have pointed out Russia has a large, well educated population with immense natural resources and it's a huge failure of governance and politics that has held it back. It's a conscious decision made by the Russian elite to rob their country, stoke nationalism, and try to do an imperialism on their neighbors. The only reason they're able to get away with it as the world's 11th largest economy (sandwiched between South Korea and Brazil) is because its western competitors are not playing the same game.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Am hello. Am Donetsk fighters Ukraine is wanting be Russia.

Russia help us

Nazi America only out for self interests and helped azovs with their plot to take over Ukraine Nazism

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nurmie posted:

im rereading The Oligarchs and the early khodorkovsky chapters are some great poo poo. what if you just conjured money from thin airsome weird gosplan accounting loophole, with the blessing of various mid-level komsomol functionaries

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

nurmie posted:

Russian oligarchs were hit with the capitalism bomb. It fizzled out their new Soviet man defenses. It's the Havana Gun on steroids we call it the Dutch rose syndrome

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

im rereading The Oligarchs and the early khodorkovsky chapters are some great poo poo. what if you just conjured money from thin airsome weird gosplan accounting loophole, with the blessing of various mid-level komsomol functionaries
New Oligarchs is such a fantastic read to the 1980s-1990s russian era.
The concept of capital was such an alien, verbotten thing to late soviet citizens that when business became a thing it was the American wild west of financing all over again.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
There is a book called "The Russia of Connections" or "The Russia of Who-You-Know" in Finnish about informal relationships in Russia and how you need to know people to get things done. Something quite a few Finnish companies have bashed their heads against a wall with. A friend of mine who lived on St Petersburg for several years was always talking about how things are sorta similar but sorta very different compared to Finland.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Ataxerxes posted:

There is a book called "The Russia of Connections" or "The Russia of Who-You-Know" in Finnish about informal relationships in Russia and how you need to know people to get things done. Something quite a few Finnish companies have bashed their heads against a wall with. A friend of mine who lived on St Petersburg for several years was always talking about how things are sorta similar but sorta very different compared to Finland.

yeah, to do something po blaty

fitzpatrick has a good chapter on it

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Ataxerxes posted:

you need to know people to get things done

This is still the case on like 90% of the planet. I'm a bit :shobon: that somebody felt surprised by it.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Doctor Malaver posted:

This is still the case on like 90% of the planet. I'm a bit :shobon: that somebody felt surprised by it.

No no it's a secret art of the mysterious slav that russians call "korupciya" or "neformalnaya ekonomika"

quote:

I don't think anyone thinks America invented corruption in Russia. I do think that the posters like how are u who are huge fans of American foreign policy need to have a think about a guy like Putin was directly put in power by America's friend and ally Yeltsin.

Really, because your post was addressed to me and said some wild stuff. But anyway thanks for coming to the thread to inform people who lived through the 90s that the 90s were bad. Always appreciate a big American brain explaining a thing or two about the world

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Somaen posted:

No no it's a secret art of the mysterious slav that russians call "korupciya" or "neformalnaya ekonomika"

last time I checked americans didn't have to use blat to buy cars, just to get into university

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Doctor Malaver posted:

Well, that maybe came out wrong, it's not like it isn't much the same in IT careers, for example. It's that just there was enough of a demand for a book explaining Russian social networking in Finnish for one to get made. And it is something I find interesting, since Russia is so close to Finland.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

FishBulbia posted:

last time I checked americans didn't have to use blat to buy cars, just to get into university

Is this the mysterious American art that russians call being "dolboeb"

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Corruption was always a thing in Russia. A topic for a lot of writers in pre-USSR Russia.
Bureaucrats and clergy had a reputation for being corrupt by default.
This might be propaganda by the USSR censorship though, but I tend to believe it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ataxerxes posted:

And it is something I find interesting, since Russia is so close to Finland.

I suppose nothing has really changed but in the good old days the chain of relations began with Finnish politicians and diplomats who would use their connections to sell sewing machines or ice breakers and maybe buy a few tanks in exchange. Toward the end Soviet Union was a great trade partner, too bad they couldn't pay their tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
A huge centralised totalitarian state with arbitrary application of the law and no way to change the government forces people to get by through favours, buttering up the bureaucrat you're dealing with, paying off the cop to not put you in prison, paying the overworked doctor to actually treat you, etc and this trickles down to every nook and cranny of society (people smarter than me probably wrote books on this)

This is why current democratic movements to make Russia a functional fair state focus on returning to a rule of law starting with exposing and demanding justice for corruption