Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are you saying I’m trying to cook too good? YOU SON OF A BITCH. I’m literally shaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

I saw a thing about after the roast has cooled but before you sear it (if you are doing reverse sear) to slather it in softened butter to really make the fat crisp up and add those brown butter notes which is easy enough that did try it and see how it goes.

I am skeptical of this since by adding butter you’re adding water to the exterior, after you’ve previously spent the last few hours removing water from the exterior. The browning and crust you want won’t form until the water has cooked off. Why undo all the work. When I’ve done a reverse seat rub roast, it took all of five minutes to get a beautiful dark crust in a screaming hot oven after the slow and low cook.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Wife got me a PitmasterIQ 130 for Christmas. Giving it an inaugural run on my WSM14 with some chicken wings. Largely unnecessary for this cook, but will be curious how long it can succeed at holding temp when I pull the wings.

This may get me back into more butts and brisket if I don't have to sacrifice sleep for them.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

What is your point here exactly because its not hard to read this as making GBS threads on people having fun doing project cooking.

So on another note: I'd like to find a really ethical butcher - I'd like the animals I eat to have nice lives. Does anyone have a good suggestion that sells on the internet?

Here’s part of a response to a different question but I think is germane:

“If you are willing to put in a little bit of internet work try http://www.eatwild.com/index.html
You can choose your state and find someone local with a website selling beef, or you can call up a local farmer and ask for what you want.“

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I am skeptical of this since by adding butter you’re adding water to the exterior, after you’ve previously spent the last few hours removing water from the exterior. The browning and crust you want won’t form until the water has cooked off. Why undo all the work. When I’ve done a reverse seat rub roast, it took all of five minutes to get a beautiful dark crust in a screaming hot oven after the slow and low cook.

This is a fair point. Adding water doesn’t sound reasonable for making something crispy.

Also, It’s not like rib roasts are lacking in flavor so that caramelized milk solids are really going to stand out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree I wouldn't do it, but if you want to try it, I would at least do ghee for much less water

Absurdly decadent, but if you really want those notes, you could just make a brown butter sauce and pass it at the table

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Murgos posted:

Here’s part of a response to a different question but I think is germane:

“If you are willing to put in a little bit of internet work try http://www.eatwild.com/index.html
You can choose your state and find someone local with a website selling beef, or you can call up a local farmer and ask for what you want.“

This is an excellent resource thank you

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Goign to do a double smoked ham for new years eve. Thought is to put it in the smoker at like 250 or so for 2ish hours to get more smoke in there since smoked ham from teh store isn't doesn't have enough smoke in it for me. Then move to oven at 350 or whatever is recommended and toss the glaze over it.
I've just left it in the smoker all day but found it ends up dried out a bit.. so trying the combo this time around

Sound good?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

How are meat prices looking for everyone's typical cuts? At the grocery store yesterday, baby back ribs were $22 a slab (up from $10-$13), pork butt is over $30, dino ribs are in the $60 range, and brisket is well over $80 (same range at Costco, don't even get me started on their prime pack of rib eyes being $75 when it used to be $35). Getting priced out of my favorite weekend hobby, goddamn.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IT BURNS posted:

How are meat prices looking for everyone's typical cuts? At the grocery store yesterday, baby back ribs were $22 a slab (up from $10-$13), pork butt is over $30, dino ribs are in the $60 range, and brisket is well over $80 (same range at Costco, don't even get me started on their prime pack of rib eyes being $75 when it used to be $35). Getting priced out of my favorite weekend hobby, goddamn.

I've been priced out for a long time. I found $60 brisket spendy. My Costco now has them in the $80-90 range. I was already only buying meat on sale. Maybe I'll just stick with pulled pork for a while until the US collapses. Or find someone to split a cow with.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

30 dollars for a 20 pound pork butt is a great price.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

IT BURNS posted:

I paid $83 for a 15-pound prime packer at Costco this week. It's a good excuse to figure out how to stretch things I guess?

Separated the point from the flat, froze the flat, then separated the point into two pieces: one to slice and one to cube and turn into burnt ends. It's just two of us, so that half a brisket will probably last three days? Also got a good four pounds of fat I am currently rendering.

$22 for ribs is nutso though.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

30 dollars for a 20 pound pork butt is a great price.

It was a 12lb butt :cmon:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Chad Sexington posted:

I paid $83 for a 15-pound prime packer at Costco this week. It's a good excuse to figure out how to stretch things I guess?

Separated the point from the flat, froze the flat, then separated the point into two pieces: one to slice and one to cube and turn into burnt ends. It's just two of us, so that half a brisket will probably last three days? Also got a good four pounds of fat I am currently rendering.

$22 for ribs is nutso though.

When you separate the point/flat, do you just do a vertical cut down the width of it? Or do you try and do a horizontal cut through the fat layer that divides the two?

I'm asking because I have a MES30 and unless I tried to get wildly creative with hanging a brisket, there's no way a whole one will fit in there.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's more than one way to seperate a flat and point? I always cut horizontally through the fat layer.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

um excuse me posted:

There's more than one way to seperate a flat and point? I always cut horizontally through the fat layer.

Maybe not! I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know if people usually go to that kind of effort, or if they just say "gently caress it" and pick a spot to just cut down through both, leaving some flat on the point and some point on the flat.

I guess my thinking here about separating it is that if I were to go horizontally, the flat will end up being almost as long as the whole brisket was anyway, yeah?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yup, flat extends the entire length. You could just cut it in half. The point is the money meat anyways. Reducing a flats length should not change the overall way it cooks, the thickness of a cut of meat matters much more. Separating the point and flat will have a greater effect.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

IT BURNS posted:

When i grocery shop for almost any meal, i hit the meat dept first to determine whats for dinner. If nothing is on sale, then its chicken. Chuck roast is around the 7 or 8 dollar per pound mark and goes on sale for 4. 4 was the standard price 10 years ago.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

um excuse me posted:

Eh, at this point (pun intended) I just feel where the flat gets dramatically thicker and whack the sucker off. I found that trying to separate it horizontally to not be worth the trouble.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Zarin posted:

When you separate the point/flat, do you just do a vertical cut down the width of it? Or do you try and do a horizontal cut through the fat layer that divides the two?

I'm asking because I have a MES30 and unless I tried to get wildly creative with hanging a brisket, there's no way a whole one will fit in there.

I went along the fat layer. Not perfectly, but not too hard and you have to trim anyway...

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Finally got a place where I can start smoking again, even if the wife hates it...

Trying the snake method for the first time on some pulled pork. Been sitting between 240-250F with only two vent changes in about three hours

Pork is in two lumps as the shoulder turned into two halves joined by the tiniest scrap of skin. Only, discovered that when I took it out of the supermarket packaging

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Took it off at 204F:

Currently wrapped in foil in the (turned off) oven, as it's about three hours too early...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I would understand a vegetarian hating smoked meat, but what makes your wife hate it?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

I would understand a vegetarian hating smoked meat, but what makes your wife hate it?

Yeah I feel like my wife is usually just happy I'm cooking instead of her, regardless of what it is.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

Past issues from when I first used it and wasn't sure what I was doing and had a couple failed cooks, combined with the initial smell as the first coals get lit

She's more than happy to eat the end product now though, and loved the tacos I made from the pulled pork

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

My wife managed a Wood Ranch BBQ restaurant for years and it ruined smoked meats for her after being forced to eat/taste it daily. It's a shame, she really doesn't like anything low and slow anymore.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Does anyone have any advice about reheating? Everyone usually loves the stuff I smoke on the first day but the leftovers aren't very popular because of the rancid meat fat flavor they get (Wikipedia tells me this is called "warmed-over flavor"). I got some good mileage out of brisket enchiladas this week and breakfast hash is usually okay, but I either need some other repurposing ideas or a better reheating method.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Donkey posted:

Does anyone have any advice about reheating? Everyone usually loves the stuff I smoke on the first day but the leftovers aren't very popular because of the rancid meat fat flavor they get (Wikipedia tells me this is called "warmed-over flavor"). I got some good mileage out of brisket enchiladas this week and breakfast hash is usually okay, but I either need some other repurposing ideas or a better reheating method.

Hmm, that is interesting because I feel like most of the stuff I smoke gets BETTER the day after.

What cuts/meats are problematic for you, and how are you reheating them?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Donkey posted:

Zarin posted:

Hmm, that is interesting because I feel like most of the stuff I smoke gets BETTER the day after.

The warmed over flavor hits me hard. Worst with pork.

Reheating sous vide is by FAR the best method. If you don’t have a circulator, just a ziploc bag with what you want heated tossed into a pot of water on the stove on Med/Low works great. That keeps a great texture and minimizes the reheated flavor for me.

Even still, I find that anything acidic helps too. Day 1 brisket I usually don’t bother with sauce, but I always have it handy for reheats.

Leftover pulled pork’s best possible usage IMO is mixed with some mojo and turned into carnitas.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Rooster posted:

The warmed over flavor hits me hard. Worst with pork.

Reheating sous vide is by FAR the best method. If you don’t have a circulator, just a ziploc bag with what you want heated tossed into a pot of water on the stove on Med/Low works great. That keeps a great texture and minimizes the reheated flavor for me.

Even still, I find that anything acidic helps too. Day 1 brisket I usually don’t bother with sauce, but I always have it handy for reheats.

Leftover pulled pork’s best possible usage IMO is mixed with some mojo and turned into carnitas.

Interesting, I have never had an issue with pork; I feel like chicken is the one meat that I cannot stand the flavor of re-heated.

I smoked/cooled/froze a pork butt in the late fall; I'll be re-heating that this week via sous-vide to see how it turns out.

For both brisket and pork butt, I've had real good results with reheating by cutting the meat into small/bite-sized pieces, preheating a skillet with a bit of smoked oil (I suspect tallow/lard/butter/other oils would also work) in the bottom, then putting the meat in once preheated. Press flat, let sit for 60/90/120s, then turn/stir; repeat the press/sit/stir process until desired level of crispiness is achieved. Serve in a tortilla, on a bun, or over rice, with or without sauce.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zarin posted:

Interesting, I have never had an issue with pork; I feel like chicken is the one meat that I cannot stand the flavor of re-heated.

I smoked/cooled/froze a pork butt in the late fall; I'll be re-heating that this week via sous-vide to see how it turns out.

For both brisket and pork butt, I've had real good results with reheating by cutting the meat into small/bite-sized pieces, preheating a skillet with a bit of smoked oil (I suspect tallow/lard/butter/other oils would also work) in the bottom, then putting the meat in once preheated. Press flat, let sit for 60/90/120s, then turn/stir; repeat the press/sit/stir process until desired level of crispiness is achieved. Serve in a tortilla, on a bun, or over rice, with or without sauce.

Oh yeah, the crisped up in a skillet tactic is legit. I should have specified that sous vide is the best for attempting to achieve closest to day of cook state.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I swear that sometimes the flavor from acrid white smoke is stronger after refrigerating / reheating.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Zarin posted:

Like Doom Rooster said, pork is the worst- typically in fattier cuts like butt, but also mildly with loins. I've had the same problem with brisket and chicken. The methods I've used to reheat the meat by itself, in order of increasing effectiveness, are microwave, medium-temp oven, air fryer, pan-frying in neutral oil, and low oven; for leaner stuff like pork loin I actually prefer it sliced cold in a sandwich. I haven't tried sous vide, but I'll definitely give it a shot. None of them are as good as the original so I will typically repurpose whatever I made into carnitas, chopped sauced brisket sandwiches, hash, enchiladas, pit beans (to my dismay, nobody else in my house likes any kind of bean that much), or some kind of Brunswick stew-type thing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I will always stan for brisket chili, and pulled pork gets made into carnitas. For regular reheating sous vide all the way.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

I will always stan for brisket chili

Preach.

I usually do a 12-15lb brisket for just me and the wife, fully intending to only eat like 3lbs sliced, and the rest in chili and breakfast tacos.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Preach.

I usually do a 12-15lb brisket for just me and the wife, fully intending to only eat like 3lbs sliced, and the rest in chili and breakfast tacos.

This is the way.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Whoops was a page behind. +1 for sous vide.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Doom Rooster posted:

Preach.

This and brisket fried rice is another one of my favorites for leftovers.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Donkey posted:

For pulled pork, I vacuum seal while hot and then freeze all the leftovers immediately after eating. Then when I want to eat it, it's easy to reheat sous vide (or just in a pan of boiling water on the stove) - no need to defrost, just reheat from frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've never noticed that myself but then again the way we prepare it is to pull as much fat out of it as possible while shredding