Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, you can listen to them on iPlayer whenever you like!

Also, pigs will absolutely do tricks. It’s like nobody here has ever been to a state fair.

look, i am not able to start a new show unless i listen to all the previous episodes first

now how many does that nice Archers radio play have again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Heath posted:

I can't remember exactly what the origin was (either a post on here, or one from Reddit that was quoted here) asking why Amazon doesn't invent a sort of Netflix service for physical books, where you pay a monthly subscription fee and have unlimited rentals of whatever book you want, and if your local station doesn't have it they can have it shipped to you, maybe with or without late fees to discourage people from keeping books forever

Someone pointed out that they were just describing a library. And they retorted that no, libraries don't make profit, and libraries are public and therefore bad

She was actually describing a circulating library, a kind of business that flourished in the 18th and 19th centuries because only the wealthy could afford to own a lot of books. They declined in the 20th century because 1) books got cheap enough for middle-class people to collect and 2) public libraries were on the rise. (There were also subscription libraries, which functioned as clubs for people with specific reading interests, but in practice "subscription library" and "circulating library" were used interchangeably. Some subscription libraries still exist today!)

E: Public libraries are great. Please use yours, and especially let them know if you're interested in diverse content. With the rash of anti-"CRT" challenges to library collections, this is all the more important!

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Dec 26, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Feliday Melody posted:

Several things that researchers believed cats couldn't do turned out as wouldn't do.

I liked one that found out that cats absolutely know when their owner is calling them specifically, they just don’t necessarily care

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

goblin week posted:

Also humans

Lol. I think birds eyes/brains don't gloss over the brief moment of darkness between frames of a film, so it's a very rapid slide show for them.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/LeviSnoot/status/1475130734176346122

Not so Non-fungible now, are they?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

This is beautiful. It was obvious that you could "forge" another link to whatever asset the original NFT was pointing to, but my simple mind never considered that there would be a market for that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not only did they just invent the city bus, now they're instantly inventing a hundred years' worth of all the ways to game the system of city buses. It's like when Deep Thought gets switched on and starts from "I think therefore I am" and gets as far as deducing the existence of income tax and rice pudding before anyone finds the off switch

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1475235380823736328?t=wENOrEbOWjOyzbV01z5qdg&s=19

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Heath posted:

I can't remember exactly what the origin was (either a post on here, or one from Reddit that was quoted here) asking why Amazon doesn't invent a sort of Netflix service for physical books, where you pay a monthly subscription fee and have unlimited rentals of whatever book you want, and if your local station doesn't have it they can have it shipped to you, maybe with or without late fees to discourage people from keeping books forever

Someone pointed out that they were just describing a library. And they retorted that no, libraries don't make profit, and libraries are public and therefore bad

Amazon did do that, but with digital books, through Kindle Unlimited.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think I read somewhere that a dog eye's "refresh rate" is somehow wrong for watching TV so they can't really see screens very well.

I dunno, my dog watches TV and stuff on my phone or monitor with me all the time. He loving loves seeing other dogs on there, we can just say "Wren look, puppies" and he'll bolt to the nearest screen to see them.

Hell it doesn't even have to be a real dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVPRtkGucn0

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno, my dog watches TV and stuff on my phone or monitor with me all the time. He loving loves seeing other dogs on there, we can just say "Wren look, puppies" and he'll bolt to the nearest screen to see them.

how is your dogg so good
this is a good dog

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think the thing with dogs and screens is they couldn't make sense of CRTs (they perceived the flashes of individual frames like a strobe light) but they can watch more modern LCDs where the frames blend together more

Not sure where OLEDs fit in though

repiv has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Dec 27, 2021

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

kirbysuperstar posted:

Used to live with a couple of dogs that would just go apeshit if there was a dog on screen, videogames included. They could recognise low poly PS2 dogs and tell them apart from other animals. I wish I'd done some more experimenting to see what's the lowest fidelity dog that they'd still recognise as a dog.

Then again, for all I know they might have been reacting to me noticing a dog somehow.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think I read somewhere that a dog eye's "refresh rate" is somehow wrong for watching TV so they can't really see screens very well.

I've been hearing that for decades. I think maybe it was true for old standard definition tube tvs, but it doesn't seem to be as true for HD flatscreens. And when you go back and look at SD poo poo you go, oh yeah I can see why dogs thought that looked like nothing, we humans were majorly delusional that we could see anything in the flickering mess.

Lots of dogs and cats respond to screens now, there are even videos aimed at them. You show a receptive cat a video of a mouse and the cat may try to look behind the monitor to find the mouse.

Some dogs and cats still ignore screens. I'm not sure if the problem is that they can't perceive the images properly, or if they find the whole setup unconvincing because sound and smell and other sensory data is wrong. They perceive it as fake so they ignore it.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I heard that cats see screens as relatively flat but moving images. Their eyes don't get fooled by the fake 3D like our eyes are.

Still doesn't mean that cats can't find what's on the screen really interesting.

Feliday Melody has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Dec 27, 2021

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dudes weird but i hate people that walk around after dark in dark clothes and x10 when they run across the road away from a cross walk

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The irony is animals probably have the same thoughts but in reverse, thinking we're dumb for being so entranced by something that's clearly not really there and not recognising that maybe we know and don't care - it's like the aliens in Galaxy Quest who have no concept of falsehoods and by extension fiction, and have trouble reconciling that humans lie to each other all the time for fun in increasingly elaborate ways, we call it storytelling. They aren't stupid just because they've never done it, they just aren't wired that way.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
also a lot of sapience tests are visually focused, specifically to human visual standards, which causes most non-human mammals to do pretty poorly at them because they're more smell-reliant

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Bismuth posted:

Dudes weird but i hate people that walk around after dark in dark clothes and x10 when they run across the road away from a cross walk

I am terrified of these people. Not only the whole darting around on the roads in black clothes. But when there's a light source behind them, they basically vanish.

I will get severely anxious when I drive around at night and don't spot any people in dark clothes. I will reach a pedestrian crossing and nearly stop and just think, "They're around here somewhere, I just haven't spotted them yet" I feel so powerless.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Feliday Melody posted:

I heard that cats see screens as relatively flat but moving images. Their eye don't get fooled by the fake 3D like our eyes are.

Still doesn't mean that cats can't find what's on the screen really interesting.

That makes sense. We can watch very simple 2D cartoons and find them entertaining even though we understand they aren't 'real'. No one thought Harvest Moon looked realistic, but millions still watered the obviously fake turnips and milked the unconvincing cows. Things can be entertaining without fooling you into thinking they are real.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Feliday Melody posted:

I am terrified of these people. Not only the whole darting around on the roads in black clothes. But when there's a light source behind them, they basically vanish.

I will get severely anxious when I drive around at night and don't spot any people in dark clothes. I will reach a pedestrian crossing and nearly stop and just think, "They're around here somewhere, I just haven't spotted them yet" I feel so powerless.

Yeah we have a bunch of areas around us with basically no street lights and often no sidewalks and we've swerved or hit the breaks a few times when some idiot in all black materializes out of the fog a couple feet from the car

Id love to not drive at night at all but it gets dark at like 4pm in winter so

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The comments point out in some places you might be better off being invisible so cars don't actively swerve to 'scare' you.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
if i am walking in the dark i turn my phone's flashlight on so that i have a headlight of sorts

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The comments point out in some places you might be better off being invisible so cars don't actively swerve to 'scare' you.

Definitely good to dress for the occasional rear end in a top hat rather than the dozens/hundreds of normal drivers just trying to buy groceries without killing someone

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I’ve lived in cities my whole life and it’s basically always light out because of street lights so I can’t really relate or understand. I’ve also worked as a bike courier in a lot of places and my biggest pet peeve on the road is still vehicles (both bikes and cars) with blindingly bright headlights. Like, hey, if I can’t see literally anything around you, there’s a much better chance that I’ll either crash into something or crash into you when I try avoiding something else that I can only notice at the last possible second. Or, most likely, I’ll just awkwardly stop in the middle of the road until I can see loving anything at all and you’ll have to deal with me blocking your way until then

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Bright lights can make dark clothed pedestrians harder to see.

Apply times 5 if it's raining, and you now have strong reflections on the ground.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Arivia posted:

look, i am not able to start a new show unless i listen to all the previous episodes first

now how many does that nice Archers radio play have again

This is me and my life is hell.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Seems like motorists should just slow down, and work on their defensive driving skills.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BioEnchanted posted:

The irony is animals probably have the same thoughts but in reverse, thinking we're dumb for being so entranced by something that's clearly not really there and not recognising that maybe we know and don't care - it's like the aliens in Galaxy Quest who have no concept of falsehoods and by extension fiction, and have trouble reconciling that humans lie to each other all the time for fun in increasingly elaborate ways, we call it storytelling. They aren't stupid just because they've never done it, they just aren't wired that way.

The ability to think in a meta way about what other people/animals are thinking (and to understand that they think differently from you) is actually a really advanced skill called "theory of mind" that relatively few animals demonstrate.
Human children develop it around 4 years old, and you can watch kids younger than that fail at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUpxZksAMPw
In the video, the doll Sally leaves a toy in a box, and then when Sally is gone and out of sight Ann moves it to a different basket.
You can ask the kids "where does Sally think the toy is?", and ones who haven't yet developed ToM will say that Sally thinks it's in the basket.

Most animals are gonna make the same mistake the 42-month-old kid makes and think that everyone else thinks/knows all the same things they do.
Dogs are really cool and unique though and have a pretty advanced theory of mind when it comes to humans. I don't know if anyone has managed to get cats to play along in experiments about that though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I carry a canister of highly volatile nitroglycerin on my person (secreted up bungholes) at all times and dress exclusively in a pitch black ghillie suit to assure that no Driver will ever see me coming and if their reflexes aren't razor sharp when I suddenly appear out of the darkness mutual destruction is assured.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got through the entire tweet having read "pedestrian" as "palestinian" and was very confused until I read back.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Boywhiz88 posted:

Seems like motorists should just slow down, and work on their defensive driving skills.

After years of working a job that involves being on the road all day, I'm convinced that most drivers aren't aware they have brakes

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

For some reason, people here in Denmark have decided that the most appropriate colors for winter clothing are black, charcoal and dark blue.

Absolutely perfect in a country where it rains a lot and gets dark at like 16:00 in the winter, also reflectors are apparently too much of a hassle to put on.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OwlFancier posted:

I got through the entire tweet having read "pedestrian" as "palestinian" and was very confused until I read back.

"Man that Yasser Arafat guy sure cares a lot about foot traffic"

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Based on my experience as a pedestrian in the US, I'd say wearing bright colors doesn't help at all. The streets are designed to be unsafe for anyone not driving and people drive like poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feliday Melody posted:

Bright lights can make dark clothed pedestrians harder to see.

Apply times 5 if it's raining, and you now have strong reflections on the ground.

This is one of those cases where I wish it were possible to see and perceive exactly what another person is seeing, rather than just taking their word for it that what they're seeing is what you're seeing.

Not disagreeing with anything you're saying or illustrating, I'm just taking a tangent.

When it's dark, and especially when it's raining and the roads are full of reflections, I cannot for the life of me see the lane markings. They are far dimmer than any of the reflected lights, and the only way I can glimpse them at all is if I veer slightly to one side and can see that some of the barely-visible yellow or white parts are moving differently than the blindingly white reflected lights.

But there's a guy I often drive with who acts like I'm some kind of invalid for not being able to see the lane markings well in those circumstances; he all but treats me as an unacceptable liability to ride with, like it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to run over a pedestrian or plow into a tree someday. Of course he's like "I'm a fighter pilot, I have perfect eyes, I can see everything just fine, it's all clear as day :smug: Your eyes are just defective" — but I look at those photos there in the quoted post and well, that's exactly what I see. And that description of the reflections at night is exactly what I'm familiar with. So I can't tell whether this is just a matter of the images matching what my experience is because that's obviously what I would see, the images captured by photo equipment are going to appear to me exactly the same way as real life does; or if there's some "objective truth" kind of image that I could show to someone and say "Look, this is how I see the world, and it's not just me, lots of other people too; you're the weird one if you somehow see a bright vivid world with perfectly legible lane markings when it's pissing rain on a 30-degree night in New York".

In short I would very much like to know whether I'm in fact hobbled by crappy vision and need to be taking action to compensate for it (and by extension the designers of roads and such ought to be aware that different people have extremely different levels of light perception, and it's not possible to even quantify or measure it through normal means of the person just saying "I can see that fine" because to them their definition of "fine" is someone else's definition of "unbearably awful holy poo poo how could you ever consider driving like this, you should have your license taken away"). Or if in fact I see exactly what he's seeing and he's just being a prick because I'm not as perfect a driver in adverse conditions as he is and/or he wants to ascribe it to some kind of debilitating shortcoming on my part for which my insurance should cost like ten times more.

"Duuuude is what I think of as green maybe what you think of as blue :350:"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It has the same type of Facebook chain post logic as your average hasbara tweet so I get it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

acyclicity posted:

Based on my experience as a pedestrian in the US, I'd say wearing bright colors doesn't help at all. The streets are designed to be unsafe for anyone not driving and people drive like poo poo.

Boomers are also particularly frothing mad at the idea that anyone else dares to be on or anywhere near their precious roads, including other drivers.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Data Graham posted:

This is one of those cases where I wish it were possible to see and perceive exactly what another person is seeing, rather than just taking their word for it that what they're seeing is what you're seeing.

Not disagreeing with anything you're saying or illustrating, I'm just taking a tangent.

When it's dark, and especially when it's raining and the roads are full of reflections, I cannot for the life of me see the lane markings. They are far dimmer than any of the reflected lights, and the only way I can glimpse them at all is if I veer slightly to one side and can see that some of the barely-visible yellow or white parts are moving differently than the blindingly white reflected lights.

But there's a guy I often drive with who acts like I'm some kind of invalid for not being able to see the lane markings well in those circumstances; he all but treats me as an unacceptable liability to ride with, like it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to run over a pedestrian or plow into a tree someday. Of course he's like "I'm a fighter pilot, I have perfect eyes, I can see everything just fine, it's all clear as day :smug: Your eyes are just defective" — but I look at those photos there in the quoted post and well, that's exactly what I see. And that description of the reflections at night is exactly what I'm familiar with. So I can't tell whether this is just a matter of the images matching what my experience is because that's obviously what I would see, the images captured by photo equipment are going to appear to me exactly the same way as real life does; or if there's some "objective truth" kind of image that I could show to someone and say "Look, this is how I see the world, and it's not just me, lots of other people too; you're the weird one if you somehow see a bright vivid world with perfectly legible lane markings when it's pissing rain on a 30-degree night in New York".

In short I would very much like to know whether I'm in fact hobbled by crappy vision and need to be taking action to compensate for it (and by extension the designers of roads and such ought to be aware that different people have extremely different levels of light perception, and it's not possible to even quantify or measure it through normal means of the person just saying "I can see that fine" because to them their definition of "fine" is someone else's definition of "unbearably awful holy poo poo how could you ever consider driving like this, you should have your license taken away"). Or if in fact I see exactly what he's seeing and he's just being a prick because I'm not as perfect a driver in adverse conditions as he is and/or he wants to ascribe it to some kind of debilitating shortcoming on my part for which my insurance should cost like ten times more.

"Duuuude is what I think of as green maybe what you think of as blue :350:"

I have sort of the same thing, I think some people are just more sensitive to light. This means I can walk around without a light when it's real dark outside, but I hate driving in the dark because all the lights are just blinding to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henchman of Santa posted:

It has the same type of Facebook chain post logic as your average hasbara tweet so I get it.

Facebook shock posts over misreading a single word in a post has thread potential.