Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

So apparently every year this guy on Reddit organizes a huge two-day book sale for charity (don't ask me details, I just found out about it this morning lol). This year it's 400 sci-fi/fantasy e-books for 0.99$ each, with the proceeds going to St. Judes. If you've got reddit, here's the direct post, but if you don't wanna go there here's the google doc spreadsheet with everything (and links to the non-US Amazon pages). There's some good stuff on there, and A LOT of stuff I've never heard of, but I figure for a buck a book you can't really go wrong.

It seems like a ton of these litrpg books feature army people as characters or were written by veterans. I wonder if it's bc the linear advancement of a litrpg is similar to how the up the ranks hierarchy works in the army. (half my family were army)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty much every genre of amateur fiction available on the internet has a noticeable fraction of it being veteran-oriented these days. Maybe they have time on their hands and issues to work through?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

pradmer posted:

Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #1) by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZX86BO/

This is #5 not #1, I think.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

So apparently every year this guy on Reddit organizes a huge two-day book sale for charity (don't ask me details, I just found out about it this morning lol). This year it's 400 sci-fi/fantasy e-books for 0.99$ each, with the proceeds going to St. Judes. If you've got reddit, here's the direct post, but if you don't wanna go there here's the google doc spreadsheet with everything (and links to the non-US Amazon pages). There's some good stuff on there, and A LOT of stuff I've never heard of, but I figure for a buck a book you can't really go wrong.

there's so much litrpg out there :dogstare:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Soysaucebeast posted:

Hey thanks! Grabbed a bunch of random stuff.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Even as late as 1968, US involvement in Vietnam had plurality (around 48%) support from the US population as a whole, with the next largest bloc being "not sure". Despite the famed protests, "get out" was a distinctly minority opinion.

It wasn't until after the war ended (and a lot of the dirty laundry from behind the scenes started being aired) that the public opinion hit super-majority disapproval.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It seems like a ton of these litrpg books feature army people as characters or were written by veterans. I wonder if it's bc the linear advancement of a litrpg is similar to how the up the ranks hierarchy works in the army. (half my family were army)

Its really not this. Its either vets working through issues with fiction, which is incredibly common, or its people going with soldier main characters because they are generally easier to write with the poo poo ton of examples out there and you get a character that readers can generally understand the background and viewpoint of without a bunch of explaining.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the soldier is kind of like the cop or detective as a useful background for someone who doesn't know anything about the situation to have

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yeah. Why are you here? Dunno, unit got deployed/sent on exercise, then poo poo got weird and the trees started speaking elvish or whatever.

Also being a soldier is an easy explanation for why someone might have necessary skills & stuff for an adventure story.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

If Tolkien and Jordan are any example, it's because veterans tend to have shitloads of trauma to work through and so they sometimes do it by writing.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Speaking of vets and fantasy, has anyone done a fantasy take on WWI or trench warfare? A lot of sitting in one awful place punctuated by raw terror? Black Company sorta kinda has what I mean, but it’s the trenches that I’m most interested in. That kinda dynamic is not often visited in genre fiction to my knowledge.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Tolkien and Jordan are any example, it's because veterans tend to have shitloads of trauma to work through and so they sometimes do it by writing.

David Drake too. Redliners is basically the poster child for this.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is #5 not #1, I think.

Darn, you got me. I was in a hurry this morning. Thanks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah maybe just noticed it because I went through the books on sale and looked at the authors all at once.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Speaking of vets and fantasy, has anyone done a fantasy take on WWI or trench warfare? A lot of sitting in one awful place punctuated by raw terror? Black Company sorta kinda has what I mean, but it’s the trenches that I’m most interested in. That kinda dynamic is not often visited in genre fiction to my knowledge.

Forever War by Haldeman is scifi, but it's probably the best representation of hurry up and wait in a novel. Soldiers going stir crazy sitting in a barren outpost for months and months only for a quick attack to blow up all the futile work they've done in seconds.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

Forever War by Haldeman is scifi, but it's probably the best representation of hurry up and wait in a novel. Soldiers going stir crazy sitting in a barren outpost for months and months only for a quick attack to blow up all the futile work they've done in seconds.

I've read it. It gets bonus points for dealing with the aftermath, too.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Soysaucebeast posted:

A lot of things seem interesting, will go through these more thoroughly later tonight, shocked at the amount of litRPG but probably shouldn't be.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Number Go Up is easy to write and everyone’s played video games, writers and readers

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

thotsky posted:

It's also a really boring book where we skip between unlikable characters with no character development until they finally meet up so nothing can happen.

I also felt this when I first read it years ago, but only just reading the sequels now, I think he improves on this a bit. Or at least some of his characters now feel like actual human beings instead of uber-competent psychopaths, even if they are all a bit samey and blend into each other. And the second book has at least two very good setpieces Clavain escaping the comet and then the speed-of-light chase towards the end

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I'm a vet of the 2nd Gulf War. We didn't have access to all the media soldiers probably do now, but even if we did, books were the easiest form of escapism. You could keep a book at your desk or in a cargo pocket and pull it out whenever the brass wasn't looking. I rember ruining a paperback copy of Perdido Street Station that way--it just barely fit in my side pocket. The spine broke before I'd finished the book and loose pages kept falling out, much to the bewilderment of the officers who kept finding them. The funniest time was when one of the old colonels found a page about a mutant (she was Grafted or something like that in the Miéville universe) puppy girl in the brothel and read it aloud quietly to himself, said nothing, and just had this middle distance stare for the rest of the day.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

The funniest time was when one of the old colonels found a page about a mutant (she was Grafted or something like that in the Miéville universe) puppy girl in the brothel and read it aloud quietly to himself, said nothing, and just had this middle distance stare for the rest of the day.

Hahaha that’s amazing.

As far as I’m aware Abercrombie never served in a war but the few times I’ve wandered into his subreddit there were vets talking about how “The Heroes” really captures warfare. Everyone who enlisted apparently knows someone like Corporal Tunny.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

BananaNutkins posted:

The funniest time was when one of the old colonels found a page about a mutant (she was Grafted or something like that in the Miéville universe) puppy girl in the brothel and read it aloud quietly to himself, said nothing, and just had this middle distance stare for the rest of the day.

Gotta imagine how he would have reacted to reading some of the pages where the slake-moths do their thing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StrixNebulosa posted:

David Drake too. Redliners is basically the poster child for this.

Nah, it's Hammer's Slammers. Drake didn't write Redliners until 1996 and he had gotten a lot out of his system by them. If you go back and read Hammer's Slammers...realize that basically every character is somebody Drake knew in Vietnam. Joachim Steuben is significantly creepier with that in the back of your head.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

ulmont posted:

Nah, it's Hammer's Slammers. Drake didn't write Redliners until 1996 and he had gotten a lot out of his system by them. If you go back and read Hammer's Slammers...realize that basically every character is somebody Drake knew in Vietnam. Joachim Steuben is significantly creepier with that in the back of your head.

Its both, but in a couple of interviews Drake specifically said how Redliners was the book that finally helped him put it all behind him.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I literally added this book to my books wishlist today as I realized I only had the first one on it and then was checking the list just now to see if any of the fantasy books from that big sale were on it and saw it got discounted to $1.99:

Prime Deceptions: A Novel (Chilling Effect Book 2) by Valerie Valdes
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082J2PRHH

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Groke posted:

Yeah. Why are you here? Dunno, unit got deployed/sent on exercise, then poo poo got weird and the trees started speaking elvish or whatever.

Everybody gangsta until the trees start speaking Elvish.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Cardiac posted:

If it’s like Red Wolf Conspiracy (another great series by Redick), Hobb or Tad Williams in terms of style.
Red Wolf Conspiracy is for me on a similar level as liveship series or Bone ships.

Walh Hara posted:

There is just one POV and he has no idea what's going on, just wants to stay alive, and can't trust anybody - pretty much everybody has secrets. The seting is probably inspired by Indonesia and contains both references to a more technologically advanced outside world and hints of supernatural elements (no magic as such).

The style reminded me a bit of Buehlman.

Thanks for the replies, will buy

branedotorg fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 28, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Read The Sentinel, and it was not good. It's a good "we found weird poo poo and dunno what it does" kinda book idea but the overall arc of the story from them finding it to the ending is just bleh. I kept hoping it'd get more interesting or just more lively, but nope. If you are absolutely dying for a new mystery object book, give it a whirl. That's about the only recommendation I can make for it.

Is this Clarke's The Sentinel you're talking about? The book that accompanied 2001: A Space Odyssey?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Blood of Elves (Witcher #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00276HAEY/

CIRCE by Madeline Miller - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M5TLLJ/

The Rook (Rook Files #1) by Daniel O'Malley - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QX07EG/

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pradmer posted:

CIRCE by Madeline Miller - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M5TLLJ/

Dunno if these are too normie for this thread but she’s a decent writer and there’s some good character work here, especially for those who like Greek myth.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Is this Clarke's The Sentinel you're talking about? The book that accompanied 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Nope. New book by T. M. Haviland. Sorry, forgot to put the author there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

buffalo all day posted:

Dunno if these are too normie for this thread but she’s a decent writer and there’s some good character work here, especially for those who like Greek myth.

Can't see how they would be, it's explicitly fantasy. And it's incredible, you're right, her character stuff is amazing.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

buffalo all day posted:

It's only normie if it turns out everything in there happened exactly as written, and if it did, I have questions for Madeline Miller.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

buffalo all day posted:

It can be considered "normie" because of how it was marketed. The character work and relationships are definitely wonderful which made it easy for blurbers to be like, "it's just like fiction and not at all that genre stuff we know can't possibly have these features." Just more gatekeeping.

But personally I wanted it to be weirder.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Circe is excellent. I don't consider it fantasy, mostly because it's a book you can easily recommend to somebody who never reads fantasy. In my opinion a book is fantasy if and only if the publisher/author thinks marketing it as fantasy will increase sales.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
By this metric Ursula K Leguin’s Lavinia is too “normie” which is lol, just stop

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

anyone read the new Ishiguro book? The buried giant and never let me go are both incredible. Was given it for Xmas so will post reacts when done

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

buffalo all day posted:

anyone read the new Ishiguro book? The buried giant and never let me go are both incredible. Was given it for Xmas so will post reacts when done

Klara and the Sun? Oh yeah, it’s drat good, but feels like a punch in the heart

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Been having a hard time getting into new books lately but yeah Circe is excellent, it’s keeping me from checking the covid graphs every hour which is high praise for engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stuporstar posted:

By this metric Ursula K Leguin’s Lavinia is too “normie” which is lol, just stop

This is an excellent novel by the way. Lavinia is namedropped in the Homeric/Virgilian epic, but is never present as a character. LeGuin uses her as a main character to tell much the same story. It's a true epic and has a great mix of day to day life in the period and the sweeping scope of great events that changed the course of history. It's not :eGuin's usual style, but she's more than up to it. Highly recommended.