Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Klyith posted:

What region of EU are you in, and does PCpartpicker have good coverage of your stores? (I selected germany as the example, change the dropdown at top right.)

I primarily do gaming and photo editing so nothing super intensive. I'm in Germany and generally go with idealo.de for comparing deals. I dug through reviews of the cheaper ones and I'm really thinking I'll just go for the 970 Plus 2TB as it seems to be the best performer at the price point.

quote:

It's a zero-force socket -- you slide the drive in at a ~30° angle which requires no real pressure, then fold it down and use the retention mechanism on the mobo (normally a screw).

That's definitely a relief, I'll just make an afternoon out of finding the box of parts for the case and pulling the system apart to install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ashex posted:

That's definitely a relief, I'll just make an afternoon out of finding the box of parts for the case and pulling the system apart to install it.

Yeah, make sure you find the M.2 screw.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How lazy can I be with sticking a 2.5" SSD in my case? I don't feel like taking out my motherboard to screw it to the back of the tray like how I have the OS drive set up. It doesn't feel like there's strain on the cables but I guess I could hang it on some string or something if it's going to be a problem.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's fine dangling

you'd need to secure it if the case was regularly jiggling

stick a wad of duct tape or masking tape on the lil guy if that makes you feel better

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The back panel is like felt so tape won't work too good there. I think I'm gonna try taping it to the back of the motherboard tray at an angle so it looks like it's peekin' out at me.

SSDs make clean cable management and airflow so much easier compared to the old days. My case came with a caddy for eight platter drives and it's been sitting in the box since I got it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ashex posted:

I primarily do gaming and photo editing so nothing super intensive. I'm in Germany and generally go with idealo.de for comparing deals. I dug through reviews of the cheaper ones and I'm really thinking I'll just go for the 970 Plus 2TB as it seems to be the best performer at the price point.

Yeah that's what I'd do in your shoes. For whatever reason in Germany the samsung drives are still priced very competitively -- in the US they're way more expensive by comparison. Samsung is still very good at your prices.

Coxswain Balls posted:

How lazy can I be with sticking a 2.5" SSD in my case?

Very. If you're not gonna move the case anywhere, you can toss it on the bottom loose. Or where you have it there, if it seems firmly in place.

A thing I did for a while was using some adhesive velcro to stick a SSD to a piece of case metal, similar to your spare 5.25 bay.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ran some tests to look at the fancy new numbers, and I'm surprised at how well my nine year old 840 Pro did in comparison. I'm guessing the doubled numbers are only because of Rapid Mode or whatever it is that the old thread said you need to turn on in Samsung Magician. Is there anything similar like that for WD drives where I should install a utility to tweak some options, or is it a system partition only kind of thing?

WD Blue vs 840 Pro:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wait, thread recommendation (very strong recommendation, at that) is to not use Samsung Magician's "optimizations" and/or ramdisk functionality. It messes up your power configuration and fosters a risk of old-fashioned poweroff disk corruption as the system will no longer be dependably informed whether or not any particular write has genuinely gone through to persistent storage.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

think of it this way: Sata 3 has a maximum throughput of 600 MB/S after protocol overhead.

The WD Blue (really a SanDisk Ultra Extreme? I can't recall) is running about as quick as you could expect a SATA III device to run. A healthy 840 performs juuuuust a bit better.

900+ MB/S should indicate that something is fundamentally wrong. Something is using the marketing equivalent of a parlor trick for ~big numbers~

Disable Samsung Magician's Rapid Mode. It's there to confuse gullible redditors and create artificially-high benchmarks.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 27, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I remember the old thread saying not to do the other optimizations but you wanted to turn something on in Samsung Magician. Looking back it was probably TRIM and not Rapid mode, so I'll turn that off now. Thanks for the heads up.

e: Yeah, this makes way more sense.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 27, 2021

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Klyith posted:

In that case I'd recommend that SK Hynix P31 at 1TB, or waiting around for post-christmas clear-outs to see if you can get a good 2TB for $200.

Thanks again for the help, this sounds perfect.

Is there any way that getting a larger size like 2TB could actually backfire? For example, if I have fairly limited RAM and can't upgrade, or is that completely irrelevant? Sorry if this is a really stupid question, I'm very unfamiliar with how this stuff works.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

yellowyams posted:

Thanks again for the help, this sounds perfect.

Is there any way that getting a larger size like 2TB could actually backfire? For example, if I have fairly limited RAM and can't upgrade, or is that completely irrelevant? Sorry if this is a really stupid question, I'm very unfamiliar with how this stuff works.

Nope, not at all.

The only thing I would warn you is to make sure you're buying the P31. There is also a SK Hynix S31 which is sata, and as mentioned a sata drive won't work in your laptop. In fact a goon ITT bought a P31 and got a S31 delivered to him by mistake -- probably the warehouse worker just grabbed the wrong one. The boxes even look almost identical.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Coxswain Balls posted:

How lazy can I be with sticking a 2.5" SSD in my case? I don't feel like taking out my motherboard to screw it to the back of the tray like how I have the OS drive set up. It doesn't feel like there's strain on the cables but I guess I could hang it on some string or something if it's going to be a problem.

Seeing that mobo + Cooler Master heatsink brings back memories of my old build.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

90s Solo Cup posted:

It's the USB front panel adaptor that does it for me, especially because it's on one of those floating single PCIE slots you used to find on cases way back when. That's where you would put your varister dials for your molex DC fan controller :allears:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

90s Solo Cup posted:

I've been lucky in that my last two builds were on hardware with ridiculous longevity for what I use my PCs for, with this one from 2013 and the one previous from 2003. I'm perfectly content with playing games at 1080p@60Hz, and I'm super glad I upgraded to a 1060Ti before GPU prices and availability really went bananas.

I'm already loving this SSD for stuff like VMs. I switched over to Wireguard for my home VPN so I'm using it as a learning opportunity to build an Android kernel with Wireguard built in and holy crap it needs 200GB for everything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Regarding SLC cache. I assume clearing the cache is a relatively slow process? So if you have multiple files whose combined size exceeds that of the cache, you're still gonna see a drop off in transfer speeds once you exhaust it, right?

Random example. Drive has SLC cache of 50GB, I want to move five 20GB files. The cache won't have time to reset itself between files if I move them all at once, correct?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
SLC probably means clearing the cache is as fast as any drive can be. I'd guess that it can sustain max rates forever actually.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What do you mean by "reset itself"? You don't need to scrub the cache after every write, you just flag sectors as available and write over old data as the next file comes in. Your write speed drops when the cache is exhausted, but only because your controller is now waiting on the slower side of your drive to finish copying data so it can mark space as available again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

isndl posted:

What do you mean by "reset itself"?

Be available for new files.

quote:

You don't need to scrub the cache after every write, you just flag sectors as available and write over old data as the next file comes in. Your write speed drops when the cache is exhausted, but only because your controller is now waiting on the slower side of your drive to finish copying data so it can mark space as available again.

My question was whether the SLC cache can become available again during a transfer after being exhausted if the copying (to the slower side) finishes mid-transfer. So you'd see transfer speeds going up and down as the cache becomes exhausted and back to available.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 29, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

My question was whether the SLC cache can become available again during a transfer after being exhausted if the copying (to the slower side) finishes mid-transfer. So you'd see transfer speeds going up and down as the cache becomes exhausted and back to available.

Rinkles posted:

Random example. Drive has SLC cache of 50GB, I want to move five 20GB files. The cache won't have time to reset itself between files if I move them all at once, correct?

The drive writes the first 50GB to the SLC cache and it's fast. Then, since you're writing data, the remaining 50GB is written directly to TLC or QLC zones of the drive. It's slower, but should be a consistent speed. When you're done writing the files, the drive starts shuffling data out of the SLC cache into TLC/QLC. The SLC will be empty, or mostly empty, as soon as the drive has enough idle time to move that data out.

That's the general / "in theory" idea.

Exactly how these events play out in practice depends on the drive firmware, and the details can be different. Some drives do exactly as described and the write speed is a two-step flat line. Some drives reserve some write bandwidth for emptying SLC cache even when you're still writing new data, and write speed will bounce up and down. Some do, I don't even know what this is, I guess it empties the SLC over time but doesn't start writing to it until its empty?

TBQH the exact details don't really matter that much. Because whether flat or bouncy the average write speed is going to be the speed at which the TLC/QLC is constrained, and the drive's exact SLC strategy won't make a huge difference. I'd guess a lot of it is tied as much to overall data management and low level details like fitting data into whole pages.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the graphs.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Dumb question maybe then, but in the hypothetical above (50gb cache, moving 5x 20gb files), would the user be better off moving two files, letting it empty, moving two more, then doing the last one?

Or just move the entire block all at once and go get a cup of coffee while Windows tries to figure out if it's going to actually take 900 years to transfer it all?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zarin posted:

Dumb question maybe then, but in the hypothetical above (50gb cache, moving 5x 20gb files), would the user be better off moving two files, letting it empty, moving two more, then doing the last one?

Or just move the entire block all at once and go get a cup of coffee while Windows tries to figure out if it's going to actually take 900 years to transfer it all?

Just do it all at once. You don't know how long it'll take to empty the cache and emptying the cache will be at the same speed as writing directly to the t/qlc, so you'll just be wasting your time waiting for a process you can't monitor to complete while needing to manually start the next transfer.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zarin posted:

If your goal is to move the files in the shortest amount of time, just move all 5 at once. You can't see the SLC cache or know how much the drive has cleared, so you won't know when it's empty.

If they are 5 different video games or programs that you're installing long-term, I would do one at a time and leave a 5-10 minute idle period between each one. Give the drive plenty of time to shuffle data around and optimize itself. I'm not positive whether this is actually beneficial, but it can't hurt.

As an aside, when copying data on your ssd is super slow, the limitation may be Windows Defender not the drive itself. Anything that's an executable / has programmatic data has to get scanned through the engine. Copying something like a android SDK folder goes at 10-12 MB/s for me, because it's all java libraries that defender is examining. So if you're shuffling data around and it's very slow, and you know everything is clean, you can turn off defender temporarily to speed things up.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Great replies, thanks!

I guess maybe my example was pretty bad or whatever, but yeah - I've always wondered if moving files as one huge block, or in pieces one folder at a time would be a better play.

Sometimes I feel like if I'm moving a LOT of stuff, that it takes longer in one go than breaking it up in pieces. I don't know how or why this would be, and quite likely may have something to do with network traffic than disk speeds.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SK Hynix finalizes the first phase of their acquisition of Intel's NAND business and names the new entity... "Solidigm" https://videocardz.com/press-releas...solidgm-company

Look forward to purchasing new "Solidigm" SSDs soon, I guess.

Solidigm

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sounds like one of those randomly generated pseudo-brands that are all over Amazon

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Any time you work paradigm into a name you make an MBA hard

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don’t see how that’s possible when part of the MBA process is to be exsanguinated and your spinal column removed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Disk Cleanup can remove a lot of it. Load it up, click on "clean up system files," then select "previous windows installation" and whatever else shows up that seems safe to remove.

FYI this didn't work for me until I renamed the Windows folder to Windows.old

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Haven't seen an SSD with 450MB/s read speeds before

Patriot Burst Elite 2.5" 1.92TB SATA III SSD, $130 @ Newegg

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Haven't seen an SSD with 450MB/s read speeds before

Uh, shall I show you my 8 year old 840 Evo?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

e:looking at anandtech numbers, it doesn't look that bad for a nearly decade old drive

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 1, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

on my 500GB 850 EVO:

such blazing fast speeds :supaburn:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

on my 500GB 850 EVO:

such blazing fast speeds :supaburn:

that's basically maxing out SATA 3, right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
SSDs have been at the SATA transfer cap (600MB/s minus overhead, which means 550-560MB/s in practice) since like 2015.

I dunno what you meant in your post, but 450 MB/s is very unimpressive. Maybe you trying to convey that you hadn't ever seen speeds that low?

Anyways since a google for "patriot burst elite" shows older articles talking about 500+MB/s read speeds, I would guess that this is a re-spin drive with QLC and a cheap controller or something. Very 'meh' on that deal, especially if the "flash will be cheap in 2022" predictions come true.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

I dunno what you meant in your post, but 450 MB/s is very unimpressive. Maybe you trying to convey that you hadn't ever seen speeds that low?

yes

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Question for you folks: I'm upgrading from a 1TB NVME drive (Samsung 970 Pro) to a 2TB (WD 750 Black). Assuming I only have a single NVME slot, what's the best way to do that?

For information: I've go an external NVME enclosure so I presume I could just clone from <old> to <new>, swap the drives out, then expand the partition on the new drive to use the new space? Presumably that's quicker/simpler than imaging the old drive onto an HDD, swapping the NVMEs, then restoring the image? Are there any pitfalls to consider here - e.g. I've assumed that copying / expanding partitions is feasible & straightforward on a NVME drive...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I_Socom posted:

Question for you folks: I'm upgrading from a 1TB NVME drive (Samsung 970 Pro) to a 2TB (WD 750 Black). Assuming I only have a single NVME slot, what's the best way to do that?

For information: I've go an external NVME enclosure so I presume I could just clone from <old> to <new>, swap the drives out, then expand the partition on the new drive to use the new space? Presumably that's quicker/simpler than imaging the old drive onto an HDD, swapping the NVMEs, then restoring the image? Are there any pitfalls to consider here - e.g. I've assumed that copying / expanding partitions is feasible & straightforward on a NVME drive...

If you've got an external enclosure just use Macrium Reflect Free and clone it directly. You can do it from inside windows, and do the resize at the same time as the copy in 1 step. Then swap out the drives.

No pitfalls, if you're already on a nvme drive then your system is GPT+UEFI already (which is the occasional gotcha for people going from older sata to nvme). iirc macrium does the smart thing with partition alignment and just puts everything in conservative 1MB alignments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Klyith posted:

If you've got an external enclosure just use Macrium Reflect Free and clone it directly. You can do it from inside windows, and do the resize at the same time as the copy in 1 step. Then swap out the drives.

No pitfalls, if you're already on a nvme drive then your system is GPT+UEFI already (which is the occasional gotcha for people going from older sata to nvme). iirc macrium does the smart thing with partition alignment and just puts everything in conservative 1MB alignments.

Just wanted to pop back in and say thanks for the advice! I cloned and swapped things over the weekend and everything went without a hitch, and I'm now sat with an extra TB of space on my OS drive. Time to raid gamepass!