Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I was thinking I should just get 3 more and put them on my car’s hubcaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
why not just wear the plate in your lower lip?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gotta hand it to the McElorys for completely monetizing peoples desire to join their secret club of being a family by trying to buy their way in via that fukken plate

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jeeves posted:

Gotta hand it to the McElorys for completely monetizing peoples desire to join their secret club of being a family by trying to buy their way in via that fukken plate

you’ve literally just described the essential core of the McElroy/MaxFun brand

MaxFun used to have a whole convention every year just capitalizing on grown-up lonely kids and their desire for basic connection

Jordan Jesse Go literally has a section in every episode where fans leave voicemails telling them about their day

it’s genius

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Actually I’m going to sharpen it and turn it into a throwing weapon like those ladies in that dark tower book. Fucken bad rear end

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’ve literally just described the essential core of the McElroy/MaxFun brand

MaxFun used to have a whole convention every year just capitalizing on grown-up lonely kids and their desire for basic connection

Jordan Jesse Go literally has a section in every episode where fans leave voicemails telling them about their day

it’s genius

tbf this is a podcast thing in general. Entice someone with an interesting subject, then sucker em' into a one-way friendship with your personality. How Did This Get Made does an advice show every other week where Paul answers voice mails too, for ex.

Also god drat, I meant to buy one of those plates for a friend and it looks like it's no longer available. Good work, Colonel. You own a McElory treasure.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Re: last episode... Which chain would be best for a McElroy meal and why is the answer Papa John's?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
It's Olive Garden. Feed Griffin more raw pasta

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's Olive Garden. Feed Griffin more raw pasta

God the raw sibling energy of that moment was incredible. Justin and Travis had been setting Griffin up for that fall his entire life.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
NOW YOU HAVE IBS!

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

even before the griffin dry pasta long game finally came to fruition, olive garden was always the signature restaurant of mcelroy bullshit

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Does tostinos have a restaurant

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If they did, it would be olive garden

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

External Organs posted:

Does tostinos have a restaurant

flavor.flv posted:

And this is the owner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-3jDVTLdaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrcgpJ5tQ4

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Apparently they recorded cams and edit this years Paul Blart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-X67yxOjA0. Sure, why not McElorys n' friends.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I kind of preferred the pretaped Candlenights. except for the song parodies.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I like the McElory's and the show, but Candlenights has always been too one note for me. Maybe it's because I never listened to the episodes where it originated, but it feels like a very shallow well for humor. It's like one punchline stretched over an hour and dries up quick. If there's a wealth of beats you can hit with "this made up holiday is actually a big deal", they never seem to find it.

They did get Alex freakin' Horne to guest in this year's tho, which good on ya boys.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

candlenights the made up holiday that resembles christmas in just about every way and originated from a joke about ‘hey hanukkah is pretty stupid isn’t it’

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's all been downhill since the 'no blue language' extreme restraints Candlenights Ad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

inferis posted:

candlenights the made up holiday that resembles christmas in just about every way and originated from a joke about ‘hey hanukkah is pretty stupid isn’t it’

yea if anything you get a better experience not knowing the entire joke is just 'let's just do christmas but jokingly make it nondenominational and call it what's that other holiday, candlenights???'

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

External Organs posted:

It's all been downhill since the 'no blue language' extreme restraints Candlenights Ad.

It's all been downhill since they stopped having extreme restraints as a sponsor period

Man some of those were funny

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Honestly surprised they don't get more flack about Candlenights and that they've made it like a cornerstone of their ~brand~. The original bit is literally them just making fun of Hanukkah.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AzureFlame posted:

Honestly surprised they don't get more flack about Candlenights and that they've made it like a cornerstone of their ~brand~. The original bit is literally them just making fun of Hanukkah.

I think it’s similar enough to Festivus and Chrimbus, tbh

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think it’s similar enough to Festivus and Chrimbus, tbh

Have you heard the original segment, it's in the Olden Times they don't want you to listen to. The whole name's a joke about menorahs and they joke about how the first Candlenights was celebrated with a bris.

Festivus is some writer's dad's attempt to project that he knows what Saturnalia is, I don't think it's comparable at all

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

For what it's worth that doesn't really come through in any of the jokes about it.

AzureFlame posted:

Have you heard the original segment, it's in the Olden Times they don't want you to listen to.

This is weirdly phrased. The episodes are still up, you can go listen to them if you want. It's also cool for people to grow from where they were when they were in their early 20's. Your phrasing makes it sound like it's some dark secret rather than something they quickly outgrew but kept the name cause #branding.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AzureFlame posted:

Have you heard the original segment, it's in the Olden Times they don't want you to listen to. The whole name's a joke about menorahs and they joke about how the first Candlenights was celebrated with a bris.

Festivus is some writer's dad's attempt to project that he knows what Saturnalia is, I don't think it's comparable at all

I meant in terms of how they sound to people/what people imagine them like. My bad.

Also that sounds like a joke Cumtown might make today, except that theirs would be funny

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

For what it's worth that doesn't really come through in any of the jokes about it.

This is weirdly phrased. The episodes are still up, you can go listen to them if you want. It's also cool for people to grow from where they were when they were in their early 20's. Your phrasing makes it sound like it's some dark secret rather than something they quickly outgrew but kept the name cause #branding.

That's fair, sorry it was weird I was trying to reference the number of times they've explicitly said "Don't listen to the first 100 or so, we've grown a lot since then" which is cool and good.

But the Candlenights origin is "pretending Hanukkah doesn't exist" and now a decade later it's a trademarked event where they pretend Hanukkah (and Christmas) don't exist to celebrate themselves instead.

It's not like harmful (and the charity work is great) but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time they say it. Maybe I just lack the holiday spirit.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's more like pretending that they're doing a holiday that brings everyone's winter holiday festivals together into one big non-denominational celebration, except that the way they do it is entirely christmas, only christmas imagery or references with basically nothing else, but they couldn't possibly call it christmas because that would be ~exclusionary~ so instead they're going to celebrate christmas but call it something else because that includes everyone!

I basically just avoid every candlenights related thing that I can.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's the joke from Invader Zim where Christmas has fully undergone the transition into a secular holiday and is just called "Xmas"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i just started listening to ethersea. I really liked the prologue stuff and the episodes themselves so far seem fun. why did Travis need this french accent though. it's so bad. sometimes it sounds Russian

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Huh, I had litteraly no idea of the controversy (?) Of candle lights and thought it was just a reference to the presence of small light sources and night traditions that transcends religion and culture

Like diwali, Hannukah, Christmas to an extent etc

Not arguing just I had a head canon that was entirely incorrect

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lmao the stereotypical MaxFun fans are coming from inside the thread

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I don't think that pointing out that the original, explicit origin of Candlenights is "meh" is on the same level as like, banning references to Glass Shark.

I mean it's a pretty great gag to me that 3 guys sincerely wanted to make a more diverse holiday, but ended up making Evangelical Christmas minus Jesus cause that's literally their only frame of reference. Evolving that gag into something presented as a "true" all-inclusive holiday removes some of the self-awareness, and I can imagine some people not going along for that ride.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jestery posted:

Huh, I had litteraly no idea of the controversy (?) Of candle lights and thought it was just a reference to the presence of small light sources and night traditions that transcends religion and culture

Like diwali, Hannukah, Christmas to an extent etc

Not arguing just I had a head canon that was entirely incorrect

That's what they say it is, and it would be cool if it was that, but then they celebrate it by celebrating Christmas, instead of doing an actual holiday-agnostic-holiday.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Yeah that tracks

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Organza Quiz posted:

It's more like pretending that they're doing a holiday that brings everyone's winter holiday festivals together into one big non-denominational celebration, except that the way they do it is entirely christmas, only christmas imagery or references with basically nothing else, but they couldn't possibly call it christmas because that would be ~exclusionary~ so instead they're going to celebrate christmas but call it something else because that includes everyone!

yea they're libs. we all know that.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao the stereotypical MaxFun fans are coming from inside the thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962949&userid=126228

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I find it hard to believe anyone really has the energy to care about this. A fake joke holiday they made up was mildly problematic eight years ago but isn’t at all now, is what I’m getting from this conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kinda creepy that you dug that up, mate.

did you just go digging through pages of my post history on a Sunday morning hoping to find obtuse proof of antisemitism or something?