Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah honestly even a daily shot would be less annoying for both you and the cat than a daily pill. Let alone weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Hey cat thread,

First off, cat tax.

I've got an issue that's driving my husband and I nuts.
Cats in question(littermates):

Wheatley - orange and white, neutered male, 9yrs old
Abby - black, neutered female, 9yrs old

We moved back in August from an apartment to a house, older with a decent sized fenced in yard. But of course, there's neighborhood cats and fences are a suggestion to them.
Our cats have seen a few of them through the patio doors and have mostly reacted with curiosity, and a tiny bit of slapping the glass. So we're not sure if the issue is related to this or not.
About three weeks ago, seemingly out of the blue, Abby and Wheatley got into a brief tussle that ended with Abby yowling like she was wounded, trying to hide under a kitchen chair, hissing and spitting if Wheatley got within four feet of her. The whole shebang. We kept an eye on them, and when it happened again we promptly separated them to different floors of the house and I got Abby a vet appointment ASAP. Vet says she's fine, no sign of illness or bodily injury. We hung up a sheet blocking the view out of the patio doors until we had them replaced(unrelated to cat issues, just homeowner poo poo). We also bought Feliway diffusers and set them up in the main floor and basement.
So we kept them separated for another couple of days after the vet and then tried a reintroduction. Things seemed to be going fine until this week. She's back to hissing and spitting, arched back, scuttling out of the way while puffing herself up if Wheatley looks at her wrong.
And yet, ten days ago they were cuddling with me on the couch.
Wheatley's always been a bit of a dumbass and not always been great with respecting Abby's boundaries so he'd get a whap in the face from time to time, but these are cats who grew up together and we expected the odd slap fight now and then. They used to groom each other fairly constantly, snuggle on the couch, all those good things. What the hell gives?

I'm seriously at my wits end over this. I don't want to have to segregate my cats for the rest of their lives. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

So poo poo's confusing but at least nothing life threatening for now. Definitely glad I pushed for the diagnostics. My main job now is to just keep medicating her and trying to fatten her up. Still struggling to pill her, she completely figured out pill pockets after one dose (she loves pill pockets, but breaks them into tiny pieces in order to find and isolate the pills). Guess I should get a pill popper, her loss.

Anyways, I present to you.... Droolcula?

Thank you for updating. I'm glad to hear Casca's not seriously ill. I've been thinking about you two often.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Canadian Bakin posted:

I'm seriously at my wits end over this. I don't want to have to segregate my cats for the rest of their lives. :(
That sounds like redirected aggression, but it's really hard to say with certainty. Even though the glass is covered the cats may still smell the presence of strangers. Do you know if they're still come around? Is there scat or other sign of the outside cats near your windows?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

gloom posted:

For the B12 deficiency, one of our cats turned out to have a similar issue. My partner wasn't crazy about trying to give her pills every day for a month, she's indifferent to treats so pill pockets don't really work, and she's squirmy so just cramming the pill down her throat is also an ordeal. The vet mentioned that giving her a weekly shot was an alternative option. My partner got the instructions / training to do it at the vet's office last week, and will now be administering the injection at home for the next few weeks. She said it was pretty easy and the cat doesn't even seem to mind that much, compared to having a pill forced in her mouth. If Casca struggles with pills, this might be an option for you.
Yes, one of the vets mentioned that, for the steroids at least, weekly injections were another option. I might go that route, but right now it doesn't really make sense since I have like four other medications I have to give her every day anyways. But I believe most of those are not going to be long term. Once the short term stuff has run its course I'm going to ask about moving to injections, or maybe transdermal compounds. I've read a couple places that you can even get some medications combined to reduce the number of injections necessary.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Like I keep saying - crush them up, dissolve them in water, and squirt them into the cats' mouth with a syringe!
I've actually been thinking about this for the short term stuff. How do you judge how much water to use? Is it ever ok to combine multiple drugs in one syringe, if the pills are small enough?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I just went to give her the first dose of vitamin B12 and holy moly:

The two tablets on the left are the antacid/nausea meds she's been on, the hosed up D5 thing on the right is the B12. There's no way in hell I could give her that in less than four chunks. Guess it's crushing time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

New kitty! His name is Pavarotti and he likes to chat and meow as much as it implies. He's a 2 year old boy and has all his shots and such. He also absolutely loves to play.

Unfortunately he's also VERY good at slipping out of doors, so he got out into our (luckily closed gate) hallway area while I was bringing his food and water and litter up to him. I tried to pick him up to put him back in the room (since my two current cats are sitting very expectantly at the top of the stairs smelling something new) and he actually hissed at me and grabbed my face with his claws :(

He went exploring and eventually went back to the bedroom on his own, I tried to touch him when he went by and received a very loud hiss again. He's currently up there with my wife and seems like he's totally calmed down now. Hopefully he doesn't hold a grudge, I feel awful about freaking him out like that by accident!

He's very sweet though, and absolutely loves rubbing on people, he even does this cute little like.. hop rub to do it harder. Once he calms down we'll worry about doing food introductions through the door, since he's understandably pretty nervous it seems like

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Hi cat thread, I posted this in the vet thread, but I thought I might as well ask here too. My 6 year old kitty Noodle and I had a very stressful Christmas. He was vomiting and refusing to eat for days, but they didn't find anything at the regular vet. It got to where he couldn't even hold down water at all, so I had to take him to the ER the day before Christmas Eve. They couldn't see any foreign objects on the x-rays or sonogram, but his stomach was inflamed and the barium they gave him got stuck in his colon, so they decided to do exploratory surgery at 2 AM on Christmas morning. They didn't find any objects, just a lot of very hard poop and a lot of hair which they removed. He is now home and doing fine, and finally eating a little bit again. I have to give him a bunch of medication multiple times a day which he absolutely hates, but he's also happy and relieved to finally be home after three days in the scary hospital.

The vet didn't say anything about how to prevent this from happening again. Should put him on a higher fiber diet? He eats dry food during the day and splits a can of wet food with his brother every night, but maybe he needs more wet food? He does like to drink water and is always stealing sips out of my cups, so I'm not sure why he was jam-packed with rock hard poop. Maybe he only became constipated because he couldn't drink for a few days, and something else caused the problem? This whole fiasco cost me $5,600 in total.

Cat tax: Noodle is the orange one. The other kitty's name is Boppo. :kimchi:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IMO there's no such thing as too much wet food. If you can afford it, give it to 'em. No idea if it will help Noodle's specific situation, but it's my general approach.

You can get high fiber dry foods to supplement to hopefully help out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I've actually been thinking about this for the short term stuff. How do you judge how much water to use? Is it ever ok to combine multiple drugs in one syringe, if the pills are small enough?

I don't think either of those things are a major concern - you just use enough water to dissolve the pills in (usually it was a half a syringe full for me), and AFAIK there's no issue with combining medication, as it's all going to the same place anyway. But if you're really worried, ask your vet, of course.

The only issue I see is you're probably going to have multiple syringe full of water to do THOSE pills, and your cat will NOT be up for it after the first one. So that'll be fun!

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Hi cat thread, I posted this in the vet thread, but I thought I might as well ask here too. My 6 year old kitty Noodle and I had a very stressful Christmas. He was vomiting and refusing to eat for days, but they didn't find anything at the regular vet. It got to where he couldn't even hold down water at all, so I had to take him to the ER the day before Christmas Eve. They couldn't see any foreign objects on the x-rays or sonogram, but his stomach was inflamed and the barium they gave him got stuck in his colon, so they decided to do exploratory surgery at 2 AM on Christmas morning. They didn't find any objects, just a lot of very hard poop and a lot of hair which they removed. He is now home and doing fine, and finally eating a little bit again. I have to give him a bunch of medication multiple times a day which he absolutely hates, but he's also happy and relieved to finally be home after three days in the scary hospital.

The vet didn't say anything about how to prevent this from happening again. Should put him on a higher fiber diet? He eats dry food during the day and splits a can of wet food with his brother every night, but maybe he needs more wet food? He does like to drink water and is always stealing sips out of my cups, so I'm not sure why he was jam-packed with rock hard poop. Maybe he only became constipated because he couldn't drink for a few days, and something else caused the problem? This whole fiasco cost me $5,600 in total.

Cat tax: Noodle is the orange one. The other kitty's name is Boppo. :kimchi:

Like, the general response to constipation is fiber/ miralax, from what I've seen. My two get 1/8 tsp miralax and 1/4 tsp canned pumpkin pie filling mixed in with their wet food, which they get twice a day. Might also want to put some extra water around the wet food when you serve it.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
My vet recommended miralax for my old-man cat’s hard poos. I only have one cat so I don’t have to worry about a normal pooper drinking poo softener water.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Wile E. Toyota posted:

jam-packed with rock hard poop
I'm not a vet but my friend has an old lady cat who has pumpkin purée mixed in with her wet food each day to keep things moving.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pavarotti is feeling more relaxed now a few hours later, but still hisses at me when I walk in the room (and then makes annoyed but still kind of cute little huff noises for a bit)

But he's drinking water and gets all rubby and affectionate if treats are involved. Also keeps trying to murder the heck out of a few older catnip toys that he's taken a shine too

I figure it's probably a good idea to avoid pets till maybe tomorrow when he's had an evening to get used to us in bed. This is the first cat I've ever adopted where they were this overwhelmed and all hissy

Our youngest cat desperately wants to play paws with him

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 27, 2021

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
A friend with male cats taught me to always add water to wet food, mine are girls and less prone to urinary tract issues, but I still do it because why not. I call it "making soup", I just rinse out the baggies with some extra water and mix it in.

I also mix in a teaspoon of salmon oil with their dry kibble once a day, this is a propos of nothing, I'm just really extra. They have the most luxurious soft shiny coats though.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Pavarotti is feeling more relaxed now a few hours later, but still hisses at me when I walk in the room (and then makes annoyed but still kind of cute little huff noises for a bit)

Just leave him alone unless he comes to you, I bet he'll get over it once he notices you're not picking him up against his will all of the time. We recently fed a friend's cats for a couple of days and the same thing happened to my partner, he grabbed the younger kitty because she was going for the other's kibble and she was like "who the gently caress even are you" and hissed. She side-eyed him for the rest of the weekend and hissed in warning a couple more times but she got over it eventually.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 27, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Haha, the little huff noises! My cat also kind of snorts when she's annoyed about something (usually about being held), it's super cute. Love all the little ways they express themselves.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Just leave him alone unless he comes to you, I bet he'll get over it once he notices you're not picking him up against his will all of the time. We recently fed a friend's cats for a couple of days and the same thing happened to my partner, he grabbed the younger kitty because she was going for the other's kibble and she was like "who the gently caress even are you" and hissed. She side-eyed him for the rest of the weekend and hissed in warning a couple more times but she got over it eventually.

I only did it the once :(

But update anyway since I got woken up and can't get back to sleep. Apparently sleeping quietly in the room with him has made him completely comfortable because about a half hour ago he woke me up by standing on my chest, then aggressively rubbed himself all over my hands and face before curling up against my chest and purring up a storm :kimchi:

Then he got up when my wife came in the room, since she hasn't been up here as much yet. After settling down again he's come over to snuggle again and is laying on top of me purring

It's funny that, for such a loud meowing and chatting boy, his purr is so quiet

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Thanks, I'll ask the regular vet about pumpkin or miralax tomorrow. I'm going to take Noodle back in because he ate a little when he came home but hasn't eaten again in 24 hours. He seems too nauseous because he gags or drools when presented with food. It doesn't help that he refuses to swallow his anti nausea tablet. He just froths and spits and goes nuts no matter how long I hold his mouth closed. It's understandable that you wouldn't want to eat after stomach surgery and a traumatic weekend, but he's losing weight and hiding a lot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

curling up against my chest and purring up a storm :kimchi:

Love when Quill does this !

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It's funny that, for such a loud meowing and chatting boy, his purr is so quiet
My chatty girl has a quiet purr too! And loooves curling up on a chest. Glad to hear about your cat cuddles :3:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cats are the best :D

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Mom got Harold a bed for Christmas and I scoffed cause cat using a bed :rolleyes: but I put it where he tended to curl up the past few days on the bed and now whenever I lay down to nap or sleep he lays down in his bed too :kimchi:

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Mom got Harold a bed for Christmas and I scoffed cause cat using a bed :rolleyes: but I put it where he tended to curl up the past few days on the bed and now whenever I lay down to nap or sleep he lays down in his bed too :kimchi:

One of my cats loves kitty beds. I put one at my feet by my desk so he can chill there when I'm working from home. It was a smashing success, so now there are two other strategically placed beds around the home and they all get regular visits.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Ours can't resist them. One of our big buns passed last year, and now her bed has been repurposed for Faffas, while the others cannot resist a comfy cat bed. There is typically a point in the night where 5 of the 6 are in a bed while the 6th is in her spot on the back of the couch.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Old cat question. I have 2 cats and the youngest one, Felix (male, 16 years, breed?, de-sexed) was let outside on Xmas eve 9pm and didn't return to our house 72 hours. It's very weird since both him and Ash (the older cat) hang around nearby and will always be near for when morning rolls around to get their breakfast. He eventually turns up as if nothing has happened although he seems different.... He is eating less and the past 2 nights when we let him out (both cats hate being inside at night) he doesn't return until the afternoon, so a no show for breakfast. He normally sleeps inside all day too. I could put it down to someone else feeding him but he is very skittish (always has been) and untrusting of strange faces. He seems more relaxed generally speaking but easily startled by sounds that I can't put it down to him going deaf. I think his mental faculties are deteriorating although he isn't pissing or making GBS threads in the house and seems to recognize myself and extended family.

Kitty tax. Ash(l) and Felix(r)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Don't let your cats out at night, and also take your cat to the vet if he's been gone for 72 hours and seems off, or even if he doesn't seem off for that matter.

They will get used to being inside and they won't suddenly disappear one day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cats often hide when they are feeling very ill or dying. Please do see a vet.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My two kitties have just been "in the wars" over the last week or so with different issues. One had a urinary blockage that had us quite worried and cost us an absolute fortune in emergency vet fees, and the other had a facial abcess like a day later.

We're having to give them both meds now, and it's been *absolutely incredible* how good they've been about it. One of them we have antibiotics to give him and the pill itself is supposed to be formulated and given like a treat, which works great, the other has some pills for stress where it's just half a pill every 12 hours, and it turns out he'll just eat it out of my hand like a treat. I guess it helps that we have them trained to eat small biscuits/kibble etc. out of our hands as a treat. Either my cat thinks these tablets are some kind of treat (he'll basically eat anything) despite them presumably tasting horrible or of nothing, or he understands that they make him feel better.

Here they are snuggling on my chair:

Inigo is the tuxie and Westley is The Man In Black.

Anyway we have to give Westley prescription urinary food now, which sucks. We can afford it but the ingredients are terrible. Does anybody have experience or suggestions regarding giving commercial "urinary" food instead of the prescription stuff? I asked in the diet and nutrition thread but it doesn't seem to get much traffic.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Vet-prescribed food takes priority over store-bought if you want to prevent another blockage.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I got bit by a stray while getting it away from some dogs. Would any of you get a rabies shot for that? It didn't seem to have symptoms, and it lived and ran off so I can't get it tested.

I'm 99% sure it's fine, but the fact that rabies is 100% fatal if you wait bothers me, although supposedly it's been almost eliminated in the US. Has anyone here actually seen a cat with rabies in the last few years?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I mean your appetite for risk is your own, but if I was potentially exposed to a 100% fatal disease that has a way to stop it if caught early I know what I'd be doing.

Is it a proper puncture wound or a surface level bite? If the former then you need to get to a doctor (or preferably hospital but I know the US is a hellscape) ASAP and get a tetanus shot and strong antibiotics. Do not gently caress around with cat bites, they will put you in hospital for days with severe infections.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I got bit by a stray while getting it away from some dogs. Would any of you get a rabies shot for that? It didn't seem to have symptoms, and it lived and ran off so I can't get it tested.

I'm 99% sure it's fine, but the fact that rabies is 100% fatal if you wait bothers me, although supposedly it's been almost eliminated in the US. Has anyone here actually seen a cat with rabies in the last few years?

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/index.html

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

I mean your appetite for risk is your own, but if I was potentially exposed to a 100% fatal disease that has a way to stop it if caught early I know what I'd be doing.

Is it a proper puncture wound or a surface level bite? If the former then you need to get to a doctor (or preferably hospital but I know the US is a hellscape) ASAP and get a tetanus shot and strong antibiotics. Do not gently caress around with cat bites, they will put you in hospital for days with severe infections.

Just to add to this, I got bit and scratched by a stray while rescuing it from a cleft branch when I was like 15. Due to America being a hellscape, I didn't get medical help and a few days later my arm was covered in pus-filled wounds and I was running a very high fever/experiencing delirium. It turns out "cat scratch fever" is a real thing.

Thanks to my delirium and the aforementioned hellscape, instead of going to a doctor I filled a baby bathtub with hot water and rubbing alcohol and lanced the wounds with my arm submerged while hallucinating.

I survived, but it was pretty hellish so regardless of anything else you should see a doctor ASAP if you are able. Cat bites and scratches aren't things to gently caress around with. I'm thankful I had my tetanus shot the year prior, at least.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Organza Quiz posted:

About 8 deep punctures spread out over both hands. It was a fairly vicious situation. I'm grateful I didn't get dog bit and also grateful I didn't have to beat a dog unconscious. I'm surprised the cat lived.
This was stupid of me, but I know how I'd feel if my cat got eaten.

Anyway. I got bit around 7. Got out of the clinic at 9 and was popping my antibiotics and antiparasitic at 10.
I hate to go the hospital, especially now with covid ramping up. But I think I'm gonna go ask about a rabies shot.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you. According to that site my state doesn't currently even have a wild reservoir. I guess I'll find a doctor to ask.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

You did the right thing.

Rabies aside, you should always get cat bites checked out because their teeth are like little needles and covered in bacteria. They essentially inject bacteria under your skin and then because the wound is so narrow the entry seals over and the bacteria is left do do its thing under your skin in a nice moist warm environment. If you're unlucky you can get bad infections pretty deep into your tissue, and that's bad.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, at minimum, wash the hell out of cat injuries. If my indoor cat scratches me it can itch for weeks and scab over for months, kinda like what poison oak does to me.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Keep a very very close eye on it and if the redness spreads even though you're taking antibiotics then you gotta go to hospital. That's basically what happened to my mother when she didn't listen to our childhood cat's warning signs while at the vet and even with taking antibiotics from the doctor she still ended up in hospital for three days and narrowly avoided surgery. And that was from only one puncture wound. Cannot express enough how much cat bites are not loving around.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Sad day today as we sent our two stripy foster kittens (Bean and Tofu, top and bottom) on to their next foster.

For anyone on the fence about fostering - it's an extremely gratifyingly experience, and the feeling you get when a shy kitten comes out of their shell is absolutely magical.

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Cats often hide when they are feeling very ill or dying. Please do see a vet.
Yeah, from past experiences with friends' cats I am aware of that.

I took him to the vet and now I am hundreds of dollars lighter(worth it for my special guy), the vet couldn't say what was specifically wrong. Something must have made him ill. Since I did my last post in this thread his behavior has normalized, he has hangs around the house all day and meowed early in the morning for his breakfast too. He seems to be eating a lot more which is a good sign.

Organza Quiz posted:

Don't let your cats out at night, and also take your cat to the vet if he's been gone for 72 hours and seems off, or even if he doesn't seem off for that matter.

They will get used to being inside and they won't suddenly disappear one day.
I do agree with you that it they are at the age where they should be locked inside, I am going to get a tray and litter for them now. But both my cats aren't the sort to abandon my place, but both for very different reasons.