Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've never heard of that before but it looks neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That looks like a game I'd think about playing when I remember I have it, but never actually get around to

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mages was decent. The rune system is really neat but unfortunately the rest of the game is pretty shallow.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

It best be good, after they scammed me today by offering me a free game they already gave me but I had no recollection of. Imagine thinking you’ve got a free gift, only to find out you already received it for free some unknown period of time earlier. I can’t believe I gave them my email for this!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Weavered posted:

It best be good, after they scammed me today by offering me a free game they already gave me but I had no recollection of. Imagine thinking you’ve got a free gift, only to find out you already received it for free some unknown period of time earlier. I can’t believe I gave them my email for this!

I bought Control from Steam a while ago, I then saw I already got it from Epic.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I want them to repeat Star Wars Battlefront 2. Last time it came out I had just moved so no internet and I just contracted Covid, so ethically I couldn't go out somewhere with internet. Wish I had known about claiming games from my phone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

That looks like a game I'd think about playing when I remember I have it, but never actually get around to

Ah we just call it "a game".

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Donkringel posted:

I want them to repeat Star Wars Battlefront 2. Last time it came out I had just moved so no internet and I just contracted Covid, so ethically I couldn't go out somewhere with internet. Wish I had known about claiming games from my phone.

Funny you should mention this one specifically; I broke the thread’s cardinal rule and randomly fired this one up on a whim just last week, knowing virtually nothing about it going in. I’m having a lot of fun with it so far! I too hope you get another opportunity to snag it again soon.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I just uninstalled it yesterday :smug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was excited for a second that they might actually give away Star Wars Battlefront 2, then I realised the game in question was the identically-named game from 2017, and not the good one

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
GOG has the complete edition of X-Morph Defense for free.

I'm not a fan of tower defense games but this one was awesome.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Lead Psychiatry posted:

GOG has the complete edition of X-Morph Defense for free.

I'm not a fan of tower defense games but this one was awesome.

Yoink.

Holy poo poo that trailer was incredible.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

When trying to claim Mages of Mystralia I kept getting an error in the app. When I clicked 'go back' it launched the epic games in my browser and was able to claim it that way. Hadn't experienced that issue before.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Partner has been playing Mages on and off and it's pretty decent. Then he downloaded a ps2 emulator and is just playing ps2 games now, because it felt so much like one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
apparently this is tomorrow's epic game

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Moving out is a hell of a lot of fun as a couch co-op game with controllers, I enjoyed it a lot when it was on game pass.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Moving Out is good fun. I play it with my 8 year old and there are enough easy mode options to turn on that I can even play with my 4 year old without getting frustrated. He laughs as he breaks everything while I move furniture into the van. Good silly fun.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Moving Out was on another leaked list posted yesterday, which had the next games after that as Salt & Sanctuary and The Tomb Raider Trilogy

Hopefully they mean the modern reboot trilogy but that wasn't specified explicitly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

The Tomb Raider Trilogy

Hopefully they mean the modern reboot trilogy but that wasn't specified explicitly

i want shadow mostly for the benchmark tool :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

just collected it, thanks!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got the first reboot game free on Steam last year and Rise through Epic on Prime, but I wouldn't mind also getting Shadow because it's the one I haven't played previously on console

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

apparently this is tomorrow's epic game

Oh hell yes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Moving Out is free today

Tomorrows teaser is clearly S&S so yeah expect Tomb Raider Trilogy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

Moving Out is free today

Tomorrows teaser is clearly S&S so yeah expect Tomb Raider Trilogy

Yup Salt and Sanctuary today, and Tomb Raider teased for tomorrow.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

S&S is not particularly good but it must have something going for it because I ended up 100%ing the thing and I'm interested in the sequel.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

bees x1000 posted:

S&S is not particularly good but it must have something going for it because I ended up 100%ing the thing and I'm interested in the sequel.

You do realise that this is the more technical version of the old joke 'The food here is awful... and such small portions!'

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

bees x1000 posted:

Or you have bad opinions because it's great and a lot of fun and probably one of, if not the best, iteration of Dark Souls as a 2D Metroidvania.

(Hollow Knight doesn't count, it's Sekiro as a Metroidvania, you can't mix and match weapons and there's only one actual way to play it - dodging everything, so it's a worse Sekiro since you can't even parry like a boss)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
S&S was pretty fun at the time but Dead Cells has completely overtaken it, imo. Still a decent game to keep in the collection and never play.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Fuzz posted:

(Hollow Knight doesn't count, it's Sekiro as a Metroidvania, you can't mix and match weapons and there's only one actual way to play it - dodging everything, so it's a worse Sekiro since you can't even parry like a boss)

I'm not gonna say you're necessarily wrong about the larger point, but you absolutely can parry in HK and there are lots of bosses where it becomes important at high level play (like hitless pantheon 5).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tomorrow's hint has an ice axe in the picture. Does Tomb Raider have ice axes?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cojawfee posted:

Tomorrow's hint has an ice axe in the picture. Does Tomb Raider have ice axes?

yeah, climbing axes are pretty central. that and bows

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

flatluigi posted:

yeah, climbing axes are pretty central. that and bows
Her climbing axe is basically equivalent to Gordon Freeman's crowbar. It's an iconic tool for the reboot series.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rynoto posted:

S&S was pretty fun at the time but Dead Cells has completely overtaken it, imo. Still a decent game to keep in the collection and never play.

they're not even remotely similar games
why do people keep treating deadcells like a metroidvania, it doesn't scratch the same itch at all

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they're not even remotely similar games
why do people keep treating deadcells like a metroidvania, it doesn't scratch the same itch at all

Modern gamers don't actually understand the concept of genre, as exemplified by the people who also say Dead Cells is a great "Souls-like" when it's not... it's a Rogue-like, plain and simple. A solid one, but still, just a roguelike.

Dancer posted:

I'm not gonna say you're necessarily wrong about the larger point, but you absolutely can parry in HK and there are lots of bosses where it becomes important at high level play (like hitless pantheon 5).

Which is fair, but over 50% of the mods you can get are pretty useless in practice, and it's not the same level of "you MUST parry as your primary method of damage avoidance or you will DIE" like Sekiro, since goons on this forum LOVE being pedantic assholes and would latch onto my Sekiro comparison and rant about how dodging is far more important in HK and way less useful in Sekiro, and therefore my entire argument is null and void over some stupid technicality which misses the larger point.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Modern gamers don't actually understand the concept of genre, as exemplified by the people who also say Dead Cells is a great "Souls-like" when it's not... it's a Rogue-like, plain and simple. A solid one, but still, just a roguelike.

Which is fair, but over 50% of the mods you can get are pretty useless in practice, and it's not the same level of "you MUST parry as your primary method of damage avoidance or you will DIE" like Sekiro, since goons on this forum LOVE being pedantic assholes and would latch onto my Sekiro comparison and rant about how dodging is far more important in HK and way less useful in Sekiro, and therefore my entire argument is null and void over some stupid technicality which misses the larger point.

We've essentially reached the stage where every 3rd person RPG with a budget get classified as a soulslike. Hell, Nioh gets called a soulslike despite being way, way more in line with the ps2/3 era Ninja Gaiden games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fuzz posted:

help i can't tell if this is poe's law or not

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

We've essentially reached the stage where every 3rd person RPG with a budget get classified as a soulslike. Hell, Nioh gets called a soulslike despite being way, way more in line with the ps2/3 era Ninja Gaiden games.

If Nioh had ditched the corpse run it would have avoided the comparison somewhat. And been a substantially better game.

That said I enjoyed the hell out of it. I did all the base game and all the story dlc, but skipped some of the final bonus missions like the boss refights and the grand tournament. My Kusarigama/Ninjitsu build fell off hard during the DLC. My damage was great but even with maxxed out gear my defense was non-existent. I don't buy the claim that they are designed for NG+ characters, but they perhaps don't expect you to be playing a glass cannon.

Also, you'd think Ryu Hayabusa literally being in the game would have tipped people off that it was Ninja Gaiden. He was a pretty late game special boss though. Either way, Nioh is the best Ninja Gaiden game since Black. 2 was mediocre at best, 3 is bad but Razor's Edge helped, Yaiba was... published. It wouldn't surprise at all me if Nioh had started life as a Ninja Gaiden title, maybe a prequel, and they made it a new IP to get away from the legacy of bad games.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 29, 2021

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fuzz posted:

This post upsets me more than I would like it to.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This thread is like a roguelike sometimes except I become more powerful with my posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The General posted:

This post upsets me more than I would like it to.

Absolutely. A soulslike it typified by combat that is challenging and relies on knowledge of enemy types to appropriately apply a fighting strategy to match what you're facing because simply running in swinging will get you killed in short order, interspersed with campfire savepoints.

You know, like horizon zero dawn.