Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
just started with one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I just get bollocks naked and smear myself with Vaseline like Tom Hardy in Bronson, every night at bedtime. Those burglars are in for a loving surprise

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
one cow, watchin

not one conker

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
don't think even cows would be interested in juggling with just one thing

might test it out mind

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Should do that thing where you throw up a bedsheet then hide behind a bush before it falls, see how they react.

You normally use a doorframe to hide behind, that might not be practical in the middle of the countryside though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

learnincurve posted:

you can't watch the west side story remake without watching the cats movie

Does West Side Story also have a “butthole cut”?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

i'm vegetarian but i'd cave in any oval office's skull who tried anythin sinister like

We don't (normally) eat the heart of our vanquished enemies, we just dump them in the Thames when the tide's on the way out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I just get bollocks naked and smear myself with Vaseline like Tom Hardy in Bronson, every night at bedtime. Those burglars are in for a loving surprise

...that's not what the man himself used to smear himself in.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

learnincurve posted:

you can't watch the west side story remake without watching the cats movie

What is the cats movie?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

Does West Side Story also have a “butthole cut”?

Well it's musical theatre.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've printed out all my posts and staked then up around the garden and hung them in the hall way and rarely get any inquisitive visitors

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...that's not what the man himself used to smear himself in.

Well yeah, bit that's why I specified, and it's one case where I'm kinda glad the film didn't go for verisimilitude

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is the cats movie?

Almost every time you post you make me envy you for the things the internet hasn't managed to ingrain into your very soul.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My approach to home protection is simply to have stairs in my house

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I'm probably going to make myself very unpopular round here but I find all this Household Weapons chat pretty depressing

Oh Barry you find everything depressing ;) no it is depressing for sure, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And if you gotta do it you may as well have a bit of fun with it. My secondary tactic is to soil myself so violently it disgusts my attacker into leaving.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i didn't mean to depress anyone, i know very well the chances of having to resort to such measures are very, very small

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
On Christmas chat by the way, spent a pleasant couple of days with my sister (said pleasantness being helped by the extremely patchy internet at her house, hence my rather intermittent presence), as always arrived with five big carrier bags of presents and left with one tiny one that was only half full. Being both the best-earning person in my family and also the only kidless one (well apart from the kids themselves) is a bit of burden.

It really is the thought that counts though, and my Large Adult Nephew really outdid himself by buying me a Kalimba after we'd had a chat about this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4we73GHH9k

being the purest thing on the internet just after my dog died in the summer, so that got me a bit emotional, and then the first song in the accompanying manual was "You Are My Sunshine", which is the song my mum used to sing to me when I was a kid, and I got even more emotional, and then my brother-in-law dug out the weird honey whiskey and homebrew dark beer and we all got extremely emotional, all in an extremely good way.

This will probably sound horribly heartless for those of you who aren't as lucky as I, and it really is I suppose, but hearing about the angst other people have about Christmas makes me all the more grateful for my family because while we differ *massively* on politics and all sorts of other subjects, we all respect each other enough to keep that sort of thing off the table for big family get togethers (and just have screaming rows on Whatsapp about it instead).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Almost every time you post you make me envy you for the things the internet hasn't managed to ingrain into your very soul.

Ah well I remember a time before the internet. At work it was 1995 before two senior people in our department were given email and had their secretaries print out and log every email in and out. It was 1997 - I was 37 and it was literally one week before Diana was killed - when I got a computer with a 33kB modem and a TV card (no TV for several years before that - I used to borrow audio books from the library) and an email address which I still have today (along with over 20 others... )

Oh and the pain of downloading a 135mB file overnight and at about 128mB some bastard would phone me up and break the connection.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you seen the original West Side Story? How did it compare? It's one of the few musicals I find bearable.

My totally official and 100% objective list of musicals to watch for people who don't like musicals:

West Side Story (1961)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Cabaret (1972)
8 Women (2002)
London Road (2015)

Also probably New York New York (1977) even though I've not seen it cos come the gently caress on it's Scorsese doing a loving jazz musical between Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, how can it not be at least weirdly interesting?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

My approach to home protection is simply to have stairs in my house

those cows have no chance

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Niric posted:

My totally official and 100% objective list of musicals to watch for people who don't like musicals:

West Side Story (1961)
Cabaret (1972)
8 Women (2002)
London Road (2015)

Also probably New York New York (1977) even though I've not seen it cos come the gently caress on it's Scorsese doing a loving jazz musical between Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, how can it not be at least weirdly interesting?

Cabaret is excellent.

Cue a blonde, blue-eyed chorus of Tomorrow Belongs to Me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Niric posted:

West Side Story (1961)
Cabaret (1972)
8 Women (2002)
London Road (2015)

People should just watch stagings of Sondheim musicals, almost all other musical theatre is crap but Sondheim was one of the greatest musicians and lyricists of the last century.

Cabaret is great tho. Saw the Sam Mendes production of it with Alan Cumming as the MC and Michelle Williams as Sally a few years ago and it owned

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

those cows have no chance

I thought stairs were used to deter daleks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stairs seems like a recipe to have many cows, all of them stuck upstairs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
only there are some pure shits out there who you need to watch out for

this one time this bloke off his head tried to hijack my car on toll cross in edinburgh, i think, at the very least he wanted into my car by force, i always drive with my doors locked thankfully (ALWAYS DRIVE WITH YOUR DOORS LOCKED) and it was just a sort of altercation at the traffic lights with him banging at my passenger side winda, trying to get in

this other time this bloke on the cairnryan to belfast ferry tried to rob my bag

both times i just shouted in a high voice WHAT YA DOIN WHAT YA DOIN like that and thankfully nothing more happened but it's better to be prepared imo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Blues Brothers is pretty loving good as far as musicals that non-drama students can enjoy

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The only time I got burgled was when I was in Ottawa and was out for the night . My housemate was in bed, the guy walked into his bedroom, saw my (terrified) housemate, said 'sorry bud, my bad' and then left

That's my chilling true crime story

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is the cats movie?

It has James Corden in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtSd844cI7U

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I didn't know Alex Harvey band covered tomorrow belongs to me.
Anyway marvelling that Alex Harvey was the same age as my dad.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Oh Barry you find everything depressing ;) no it is depressing for sure, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And if you gotta do it you may as well have a bit of fun with it. My secondary tactic is to soil myself so violently it disgusts my attacker into leaving.

After I got burgled I kept a hammer near my bed but I also had sleep hallucinations and a very loud nocturnal housemate. I retired the hammer after finding myself stood at my door naked, clutching the hammer and convinced my loud housemate coming in from work at 3am was someone back to get me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Watching the Idris Elba scene like

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

Oh Barry you find everything depressing ;)

Not true. I find a great many things profoundly beautiful.

But Household Weapon chat should be depressing, because it denotes one of two things; either that a group of explicit leftists are paranoid enough, fearful enough, and have so little faith in their fellow human beings, that they feel they need to arm themselves and be prepared for violence at any moment. Or, worse, that they're right to do so.

I don't think 'you may as well have fun' about preparing to hurt or kill someone for stealing your stuff. Perhaps that makes me privileged or naive, I am completely open to those charges. Nevertheless, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lol mate it's not about stuff being stolen, craziness transcends politics and you can find yourself up against people who just plain want to hurt you

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It depends where you live?

If the council put you in a tower block with druggies then "nah ain't worth it the're tooled up mate" isn't a bad thing but if you live in a average house on am average street and are tooled up then nah, get decent door chains.

I live on a notorious council estate and don't have weapons ready, I have home contents insurance.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i think it's well known i live in northern ireland lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i remember my first time seeing a police smart car in scotland :laugh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Which canal was it in?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One time our entire armed response unit was quietly fired for holding up drug dealers at gunpoint and robbing them.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you live in an area with high crime, then making your home look harder to break into than the average home around you will do the trick more often than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and coincidentally shortly after i moved to scotland, there was this big hooha about some polises who had gone into a supermarket for to buy their lunches with pistols on their belts and this was a big news story. i mean it's big picture a good thing that GBers are taken aback by something like that but being used to a heavily militarised police force and getting frisked going into shopping centres from no age, it took a bit of doing to comprehend why people were so upset about it