Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bob Socko posted:

:3:

My dog had zoomies in the snow drifts today and loved it.

The hummingbirds kept visiting the frozen feeder, so I kept emptying it and refilling it with hot sugar water. A few visited in between freezes, so I guess I did my good deed for the day?

I wrap xmas lights and a towel around mine, it seems to work alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TehSaurus posted:

Someone didn't finish "Nature Abhors a Dome".

Yes, it is 80 degrees on Christmas, and yet I bought a kerosene heater in the fall expecting to need it when our infrastructure collapses during our annual record breaking cold snap.

I tried to watch that but my ADHD is fatally countered by a video that's drat near 2 hours long. Can't sit through that, there's gotta be a better way to convey information that doesn't require viewing it in multiple chunks over the course of a week

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's also not uhhh particularly tightly edited. Like all the same content with less rambling would probably be 40 minutes long.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hey what's up youtube it's ya boy climate guy. Now to start off this video I'd like to spend an entire 25 minutes extemporaneously thinking of different criticisms someone might have of this video and rebutting them, before the video.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
He spent the entirety of the time I was watching that video telling me in excruciating detail why I shouldn't watch the rest of the video, tbh. Just a big long list of reasons not to watch it under the guise of serving up powerful truths that only the most crack-pinged are able to accept, and didn't actually include any real information in it. Dude just get to the point

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

HonorableTB posted:

He spent the entirety of the time I was watching that video telling me in excruciating detail why I shouldn't watch the rest of the video, tbh. Just a big long list of reasons not to watch it under the guise of serving up powerful truths that only the most crack-pinged are able to accept, and didn't actually include any real information in it. Dude just get to the point

Yeah it didn't seem like the style of presentation of a creator confident in their central thesis to stand on its own. Rebuttals to common counterarguments can wait til you've made your point

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah I hear you guys, it definitely isn't good. Some posts just had me thinking about a particular passage that juxtaposes record breaking cold snaps with global warming. Like, yeah, this is the expected outcome.

I know y'all know that though. Just posting away over here!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-new-type-of-storm-has-been-identified-called-an-atmospheric-lake

Neeeeat???

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Dog Case posted:

Lol, here comes more of that "That can't be right, there must be something wrong with the models" weather for the PNW

https://twitter.com/The_Weatherman2/status/1473413836606611456?t=yc3hx3sq9DGRMjbmu24fNQ&s=19

Turns out this won't be right. The folly of posting single run extended weather model maps.

Seattle did have a low this morning of 23F (one above the record low for this date) and got 3.4" of snow (not a record for this date, which is 8.8").

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Record lows in the north, record highs in the south, where are the supertornados

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Bob Socko posted:

:3:

My dog had zoomies in the snow drifts today and loved it.

The hummingbirds kept visiting the frozen feeder, so I kept emptying it and refilling it with hot sugar water. A few visited in between freezes, so I guess I did my good deed for the day?

We have a bunch of the feeders from Dollar Tree and keep an extra set in the house and swap them out when they freeze. They're also actually nice because the base comes completely apart for cleaning.

SirPablo posted:

Turns out this won't be right. The folly of posting single run extended weather model maps.

Seattle did have a low this morning of 23F (one above the record low for this date) and got 3.4" of snow (not a record for this date, which is 8.8").

The record December low where I'm at is 8F. It's currently 14 and falling so we'll see

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SirPablo posted:

Told you things aren't that bad, yet

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Told you things aren't that bad, yet

Premium

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

Yaaay, we won't freeze to death! Literally. Our heat is out.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
So basically is the thing that happened to Texas earlier in February happening now in the PNW? That can't be good for anything.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Futanari Damacy posted:

So basically is the thing that happened to Texas earlier in February happening now in the PNW? That can't be good for anything.

Nah, the deep south deep freeze was a far bigger anomaly (8+ standard deviations from normal). But poo poo happens.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Futanari Damacy posted:

It shouldn’t be that bad. Though it’s colder than normal, these temperatures aren’t completely unheard of, so our power grid should hold up because it’s built knowing this is a possibility. We’ll have downed trees and outages, but we won’t be minutes from complete collapse like Texas was.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Nah, the deep south deep freeze was a far bigger anomaly (8+ standard deviations from normal). But poo poo happens.

Is it that big of an anomaly when it happens to them like at least once every ten years?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
it's too fuckin cold for my joint to stay lit gently caress this weather man

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

lol the weather network has an extreme cold advisory saying to expect wind chill of -40 to -55 celcius over the next few days in my area

im pretty sure that not only would it be too cold for a joint here but that the lighter fluid would freeze before i could even try to light it

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm at an elevation of 6700 feet, today is going to be a fun day.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

blatman posted:

lol the weather network has an extreme cold advisory saying to expect wind chill of -40 to -55 celcius over the next few days in my area

im pretty sure that not only would it be too cold for a joint here but that the lighter fluid would freeze before i could even try to light it

winter camping tip: keep your lighter in your asscrack.

or i guess in an inside pocket

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Dog Case posted:

The record December low where I'm at is 8F. It's currently 14 and falling so we'll see

Minimum from some time last night. Right now it's 9

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Dog Case posted:

Turns out 8.6 wasnt 8 oh the folly :smug:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Get this. It can be cold in winter.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Get this. It can be cold in winter.

gasp

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dog Case posted:

that's a little cold I guess

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Can it be hot in winter?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Can it be hot in winter?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It was 70 loving degrees today

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

Are you in Chicago or Miami

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SirPablo posted:

Are you in Chicago or Miami

Chiami

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

70 in indiana while its 20 degrees in seattle. totally normal poo poo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I went out cross country skiing today and it was a windy 15 degrees but it's not cold once you get moving

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

I went out cross country skiing today and it was a windy 15 degrees but it's not cold once you get moving

love to xc ski bring me my freak blizzard plz

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
What weather and climate horrors will 2022 bring?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Real hurthling! posted:

love to xc ski bring me my freak blizzard plz

Me too please send snow to the midatlantic

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Planet X posted:

Me too please send snow to the midatlantic

You can have my snow. My snow has transitioned from “this is beautiful and magical” to “this is bullshit and how much more do I have to shovel so my garbage truck will pick up my poo poo?”

because that’s the bullshit for tomorrow

shoveling for an insane and nitpicky garbage man with a weird creepy god complex

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
shoveled out for 3 hours this morning in blizzard conditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The real danger of the cold weather is having to drive in traffic. Passed a ton of people on the way to work just riding the rear end of people that were actually driving safely for the conditions. Like less than a cars length on plowed but not bare roads