Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

drk posted:

The main argument for the price going up is that is was at higher price points earlier this year?

Student Loan debt moratorium ends soon, too.

I think their appeal is to the millennial/gen-z crowd interested in passive investing and not being a Robinhood idiot.

That said, this is a WSB play partially because Palihapitiya PIPEd it so your SPAC concerns probably aren't completely unwarranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Girbot posted:

I think their appeal is to the snake person/gen-z crowd interested in passive investing and not being a Robinhood idiot.

This is my subjective take on it; it's not your parents' bank, they are focusing mobile-first (not even websites / desktops / laptops, but all app-based, like a ton of the rest of the world where phones are the only compute devices most people have). I'm not expecting it to get back up to $25, but even getting back to $20 would get me back to even + a small profit since I've averaged down cost basis.

Or it'll drop to $10 and lol me, I'll never learn to not touch Chamath PIPE poop.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*Le me, up from -192% YTD to -100%* Santa rally FTW!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/22/options-trading-activity-hits-record-powered-by-retail-investors.html

quote:

A record of 39 million options contracts have traded daily on average this year, rising 35% from 2020. Retail investors now account for more than 25% of this trading activity.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Average Bear posted:

*Le me, up from -192% YTD to -100%* Santa rally FTW!

how are you down more than you put in? Like and still have positions, I get a short could blow up and you are left with a bill and no money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Welp, you can now just take a 5-day course of pills to cure covid so SPY 500 bring it on baby

Hope nobody was long Moderna with their dead-end "vaccine" approach

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Welp, you can now just take a 5-day course of pills to cure covid so SPY 500 bring it on baby

i took the little blue pill :smug:

up 40% :awesome:

not sure what to do now though

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

i took the little blue pill :smug:

up 40% :awesome:

not sure what to do now though

Go to ER if you’re still up after 4 hours

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

pixaal posted:

how are you down more than you put in? Like and still have positions, I get a short could blow up and you are left with a bill and no money.

I'm not actually but you can do that with margin and getting assigned on unsecured options you wrote.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Average Bear posted:

I'm not actually but you can do that with margin and getting assigned on unsecured options you wrote.

Your margin is very likely to force you to liquidate before that, so you couldn't recover. I use margin and short options all the time. I haven't blown a port up to the point of getting a liquidation warning, notice, or forced, but I've watched some positions balloon and watched other people not manage their margin well by loading it and getting margin called. Doesn't look like fun. Just at 100% down not 100% margin usage I'm pretty sure I'd get forced liquidated at open no hope to recover. At 100% margin usage I expect a phone call and being told to fix my poo poo in the next few days by closing some positions. (actually closing everything would leave you with most of your money assuming it wasn't mostly GME calls that are completely dead).

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Another way to do it is to exploit Robinhood's old infinite money cheat and use $50,000 of their money using only $2,000 of your own.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I was thinking about buying spy calls on the Monday dip and didn't so I guess the kids are getting some of that free expired toothpaste I found in the neighbors trash instead of a PS5.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I YOLOed my degenerate gambling fund into SPY calls on Monday morning and just cashed out now. Its definitely feeling like Christmas right now.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
drat, now that's a good buy. I have to cope with my 0DTEs only netting me a 4x gain.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just remembered NDRA and looked.

Lol

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I just remembered NDRA and looked.

Lol

Is this where we YOLO $100 in NDRAW?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Come one, come all - all aboard the theta gang train.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

so your move is to sell options to the people who are going to google what are retail stock options?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Sounds like boomer cope.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://old.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/rn3d68/that_thing_is_happening_tomorrow_and_they_still/

does anyone know what they're going on about? markets are closed tomorrow.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

quote:

Commenting at the top here. I don't know why this received so many upvotes so fast.

For Apes who don't get it, It's nothing, really. This has been a regular thing in this sub. Just continuing the tradition. It's that we don't set dates and we're hyped everyday. It's also a tactic to confuse the bots and shills reading off of the emotions of users in here.

Seeing a lot of DM requests to know what this is about. Hope this wasn't disappointing or something. I was in the unknown too when I first saw such post few months ago. Nothing happened yet. Nothing may happen tomorrow. I'm staying strong and hyped as day 1 regardless.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

:thejoke:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hedgies r going down

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Hoisted

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Space Fish posted:

Genuine question for someone more knowledgeable about stock options than what Google's delivering:

When an employee of a company exercises stock options, where do those shares come from? Elon Musk's recent purchase works as an example - he could either exercise the options and purchase shares of Tesla at $6.24 or let them expire worthless. Where were those shares when Musk purchased them? Were the shares already issued to Musk by Tesla and stood by waiting for his decision, or did Tesla have to create new shares? And if Musk let the options expire, would those shares revert to Tesla's ownership or simply disappear?

In case anyone was hoping for an answer, employee stock options are held by the employing company to be granted. This fact won't deter any conspiracy theorists who simply know shares are being generated out of thin air, in full view of the public and SEC, but oh well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah when you incorporate you say "we have N shares, each share is worth X, so the company is with N * Y" even private corporations are regulated by the secretary of state that they're incorporated in, it's not some wild west thing that's a black box. You can follow the legal zoom s Corp wizard all the way to the very end without putting in a credit card, only takes about 5 minutes, very informative

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

attn bagholders, pray for a xmas miracle

https://twitter.com/realwillmeade/status/1474385939543822343?s=20

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I want to believe!

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm long on Moderna. What happened with their vaccine?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Super86 posted:

I'm long on Moderna. What happened with their vaccine?
Treatment pill got approved.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The other guys are releasing COVID pills.

EDIT: VVVV Yes, but right now they only do COVID, and the other guys a) do more and b) are releasing pills.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 26, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so what, covid is just a sideshow to the potential of RNA vaccine technology

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I got vaccinated against goon stock recommendations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

so what, covid is just a sideshow to the potential of RNA vaccine technology

Yep we are a decade (or less, maybe) away from an all in one mRNA shot that you take annually. Walter Reed military hospital already has a proof of concept of a 24 in one vaccine under initial trials

It won't cure the common cold but it'll reduce your symptoms by 60-90% for 70% of the population. The other 30% just have lovely immune systems

Pretty cool but covid shots already only cost $4 each. Given that everyone will have mRNA tech in two years that just means $4 billion in ARR which isn't terrible but for a pharma company, also not a lot either

mRNA is seriously cool game changing tech, but it's about as complex as a high school science project, economic moat for mRNA is really in the legal/FDA approval pipeline, not the science side.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is there a good reason outside of systematic underfunding and reasonable scientific caution for the FDA's seemingly glacial pace for testing and approval during the pandemic? If that could get cleaned up via capital investment it'd be nice to get a head start on the next plague.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is there a good reason outside of systematic underfunding and reasonable scientific caution for the FDA's seemingly glacial pace for testing and approval during the pandemic? If that could get cleaned up via capital investment it'd be nice to get a head start on the next plague.

It's so they can charge an expediting fee via lobbying/other shady poo poo

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

DoubleT2172 posted:

It's so they can charge an expediting fee via lobbying/other shady poo poo

The FDA are scammers??

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Tetramin posted:

The FDA are scammers??

Almost half of the FDA's budget comes from user fees negotiated with the companies seeking approval. It's a big ethical problem.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

11 months start to finish for totally untested technology like mRNA vaccines, safely rolled out to 200+ Americans is pretty loving fast IMO

Usually politicians like Trump pick ridiculous project names like "enduring freedom" etc but in the case of "project warp speed" it was well deserved. He got a bunch of help from Gates and other think tanks

We ought to already have an omicron vaccine, but I think it's a combination of "we don't want the public complaining about more vaccines" but more largely the fact that the Biden administration has senile old man in charge, and the VP is a cop incapable of critical thinking skills not involved with getting elected, with absolutely no background in public health. I voted for the B/H ticket, full disclosure

My guess is we'll see omicron vaccine rolled out in March to the boomers and boomer+, and future vaccines will come out on a 3 month timetable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well the FDA has had a pediatric (2-18) years of age COVID vaccine submitted for EUA since early November, the WHO had/has given it emergency use auth. So far no peep from the FDA that I've found in news sources.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...2-18-Years.html

Maybe it's poo poo? Maybe they don't like some actual scientific reason for something to do with the study? Maybe they haven't been lobbied enough by a company from India?

cirus posted:

Almost half of the FDA's budget comes from user fees negotiated with the companies seeking approval. It's a big ethical problem.
Yeah so everything is probably on the up and up and it's not some Pfizer/Moderna gatekeeping gang over there now.

Not sure how this will effect NDRA though :v: