Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

same

1999 fuckin' owned

it was the best year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
rip left eye

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Falstaff posted:

*Agent Smith Voice*: The peak of your civilization...
agent smith was right and did nothing wrong

i think its pretty safe to say that every single subsequent year i've been alive has been globally noteably worse. like yeah sure there's personal, or even sometimes local, grievances/achivements, ups and downs, but otherwise i've only ever experienced is raw decline. it's pretty hard to point to any year in 2000+ and go 'yes this was globally a better year'. end of history except it's only perpetual and permanent declination

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i liked the "unpretty" video because it had CGI of titties getting bigger

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Falstaff posted:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

The New York Times review of Don't Look Up makes a big deal about how the movie criticizes humanity's failure, as a collective, to confront the climate crisis

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/23/movies/dont-look-up-review.html

This is very funny to me because the New York Times is specifically in the movie and mocked for being cowards. The movie (since it's made by liberals) seems unsure about what people outside of the halls of power should do in an existential crisis, but it's very clear about how the New York Times is loving up.
several pages back but I think saying it was made by liberals is a bit of an oversimplification. It was co-written & produced by David Sirota, who’s spent essentially all his time since working on the Bernie campaign attracting and reveling in the ire of liberals.

Sirota isn’t a revolutionary communist and he seems to still have some degree of faith in electoralism so maybe that makes him a lib by default but the label still seems somehow insufficient to describe his politics.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
fellas getting so stressed by no scrubz they know all the words to no pigeons by the sporty thievz

these were the things to occupy us before 9/11

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Falstaff posted:

1997 was more of an epic year for music and film

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

smarxist posted:

fellas getting so stressed by no scrubz they know all the words to no pigeons by the sporty thievz

now THAT is a song I haven't heard in decades

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wow jeff garlin is so loving annoying in real life

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

smarxist posted:

lol I forgot about no pigeons

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

a virus...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

lol I forgot about no pigeons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FnrEB2zP0I

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Matrix 4 is incredible. Best movie of the year.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

this is up there with “you kick my dog” and “stoned sesame street“ on my y2k napster playlist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

this is up there with “you kick my dog” and “stoned sesame street“ on my y2k napster playlist

lol i haven't thought about the first one since high school. also "devil went down to jamaica"

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheSlutPit posted:

kerPAL

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's a huge twitch streamer whose thing was talking in fake indian accent until like 2019

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

TheSlutPit posted:

link, he come to town;
come to save, the princess zelda

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i say swears online posted:

there's a huge twitch streamer whose thing was talking in fake indian accent until like 2019

fisher stevens is a twitch streamer???

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

link, he come to town;
come to save, the princess zelda

"all your base" is old enough to drink, that blew up december 2000

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

i say swears online posted:

"all your base" is old enough to drink, that blew up december 2000

we are mummies

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYcWHlEPqXQ

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i wish there was a list of all the fake weird Al parodies that went around napster and kazaa

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

i wish there was a list of all the fake weird Al parodies that went around napster and kazaa

if they had swearing or slurs in them they probably weren't legit

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Weezer-UptownGirl(COVER).mp3

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

i would wake up at 6am on saturdays to listen to dr demento so i remember that devil went down to georgia was written by travis meyer. google still says it's weird al lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

smarxist posted:

so all of them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Weezer-UptownGirl(COVER).mp3

furiously refreshing ants marching dot org to get the lossless recording of the concert i went to

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

the american psycho scene with “it’s hip to be square” but the guy is talking to you about the history of pre-meme _weird_al_(FUNNY).mp3 tracks while bringing out the axe in the next room

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSP8HenHFzA

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you can still telnet to towel.blinkenlights.nl and watch Star Wars in glorious ASCII art

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the MUD i played in 1996 is still going

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i am definitely not mudding literally every hour of my work day

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this is my last Don't Look Up post

lots of people apparently think nihilistic is the same as pessimistic. I've only seen one review or comment correctly use the phrase, everyone else is using it to convey that the movie is depressing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

technically it's annihilistic :eng101:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Atrocious Joe posted:

this is my last Don't Look Up post

lots of people apparently think nihilistic is the same as pessimistic. I've only seen one review or comment correctly use the phrase, everyone else is using it to convey that the movie is depressing.

nihlism has largely lost all meaning on the internets, as with grift and a bunch of other poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

The Matrix 4 is incredible. Best movie of the year.

come on now. i mean it was way better than expected for a reboot of a long pop-culture-dissolved-and-abused movies, and i would rank it above 2/3 yet still below 1 by a lot. but it's not the best movie of the year. Green Knight, PIG, Dune, Last Duel, DLU, or even Malignant were better movies overall. i would put it on par with something like King Kong vs Godzilla or Free Guy in terms of overall fun