Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I love going to a movie theater because the screen is huge and the sound is so loud and you can have communal emotional experiences and there’s just a special feeling about the whole process. Not a single movie worth getting covid for.

Yup. For the last decade I've done all my birthdays at the Alamo Drafthouse with friends, since my birthday is in October they almost always have amazing horror films playing. I think it was my last birthday of the Before Times where we got to see the Shining on film and on the big screen and goddamn what a wonderful experience that was. Did Army of Darkness some years prior to that.
Wonderful memories and yeah, still not worth getting sick and brain damaged/dead over.

Movies on the big screen are fun and cool and good. But they're not worth dying for. And while it's not the same experience, seeing movies at home on a nice modern TV screen is also cool and good and fun. And I mean I've been doing watch parties with friends in other states/countries since before the pandemic over CyTube or sometimes Discord and that's all lots and lots of fun.

We've been watching Sightings lately. 90s show that's a lower budget version of Unsolved Mysteries focusing solely on fortean and paranormal nonsense. The astrologists said that 1993 is going to be a really loving bad year and that in the future folks will probably talk about how they survived it, so you may want to get your beans ready, just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

These aren't matrix pills. It's paxlovid and you need to take it after going to the theater.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

lol my outermost tarsal is absolutely broken from dropping a desk on it the other day and I have insurance but what is urgent care going to get me, other than COVID? I'll just wrap it up real tight.

Thanks, America.

Hey doctors itt please correct me but as someone who knows this stuff, unless this is a compound fracture somehow then there should not be a lot of jagged bone edges that will cause more soft tissue damage and if you know it's broken you also know whether it was a clean (aka simple) fracture or not. If you've broken a bone before you know what I'm talking about here.

Assuming it's not a compound fracture you can bind and splint it yourself. You need to commit to giving it time to heal though, otherwise just doing that is an emergent and not therapeutic measure. The little bones like tarsals and metatarsals, like upper distal equivalents, often are a lot more painful than they are actually concerning when you injure or break them.

If there's swelling, reducing it with cold compresses will improve outcomes but do not do this after about 24 hours because it's too late At that point.

At that point just prioritize rest, elevation (if swelling continues), and if you develop a fever you need to call 911 because you probably hosed yourself up worse than you initially thought.

Goonspeed, and this is actual medical advice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like watching a movie on the TV because you can pause it, rewind it, take a break, watch it while wearing whatever, eat as much food as you like, don't have to wait for a showing, and on and on.

anyway, here's some poo poo:

quote:

It is controversial whether viruses are alive, but – like all living things – they do evolve. This fact has become abundantly clear during the pandemic, as new variants of concern have emerged every few months.

Some of these variants have been better at spreading from person to person, eventually becoming dominant as they out-compete slower versions of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. This improved spreading ability has been ascribed to mutations in the spike protein – the mushroom-shaped projections on the surface of the virus – that allow it to bind more strongly to ACE2 receptors. ACE2 are receptors on the surface of our cells, such as those that line our airways, that the virus attaches to in order to gain entry and start replicating.

These mutations allowed the alpha variant, and then the delta variant, to become globally dominant. And scientists expect the same thing to happen with omicron.

The virus cannot, however, improve indefinitely. The laws of biochemistry mean that the virus will eventually evolve a spike protein that binds to ACE2 as strongly as possible. By that point, the ability of SARS-CoV-2 to spread between people will not be limited by how well the virus can stick to the outside of cells. Other factors will limit virus spread, such as how fast the genome can replicate, how quickly the virus can enter the cell via the protein TMPRSS2, and how much virus an infected human can shed. In principle, all of these should eventually evolve to peak performance.

Has omicron reached this peak? There is no good reason to assume that it has. So-called “gain-of-function” studies, which look at what mutations SARS-CoV-2 needs to spread more efficiently, have identified plenty of mutations that improve the spike protein’s ability to bind to human cells that omicron doesn’t have. Besides this, improvements could be made to other aspects of the virus life cycle, such as genome replication, as I mentioned above.

But let’s assume for a second that omicron is the variant with maximised spreading ability. Perhaps omicron won’t get any better because it is limited by genetic probability. In the same way that zebras haven’t evolved eyes at the back of their heads to avoid predators, it’s plausible that SARS-CoV-2 can’t pick up the mutations required to reach a theoretical maximum as those mutations need to occur all at once, and that is just too unlikely to emerge. Even in a scenario where omicron is the best variant at spreading between humans, new variants will emerge to handle the human immune system.

After infection with any virus, the immune system adapts by making antibodies that stick to the virus to neutralise it, and killer T-cells that destroy infected cells. Antibodies are pieces of protein that stick to the specific molecular shape of the virus, and killer T-cells recognise infected cells via molecular shape as well. SARS-CoV-2 can therefore evade the immune system by mutating sufficiently that its molecular shape changes beyond the immune system’s recognition.

This is why omicron is so apparently successful at infecting people with previous immunity, either from vaccines or infections with other variants – the mutations that allow the spike to bind to ACE2 more strongly also reduce the ability of antibodies to bind to the virus and neutralise it. Pfizer’s data suggests that T-cells should respond similarly to omicron as to previous variants, which aligns with the observation that omicron has a lower fatality rate in South Africa, where most people have immunity.

Importantly for humanity, past exposure still seems to protect against severe disease and death, leaving us with a “compromise” where the virus can replicate and reinfect, but we do not get as severely sick as the first time

Probable future

Herein lies the most probable future for this virus. Even if it behaves like a professional gamer and eventually maxes out all its stats, there is no reason to think that it won’t be controlled and cleared by the immune system. The mutations that improve its spreading ability do not greatly increase deaths. This maxed-out virus would then simply mutate randomly, changing enough over time to become unrecognisable to the immune system’s adapted defences, allowing waves of reinfection.

We might have COVID season each winter in the same way we have flu season now
. Influenza viruses can also have a similar pattern of mutation over time, known as “antigenic drift”, leading to reinfections. Each year’s new flu viruses are not necessarily better than last year’s, just sufficiently different. Perhaps the best evidence for this eventuality for SARS-CoV-2 is that 229E, a coronavirus that causes the common cold, does this already.

Omicron will therefore not be the final variant, but it may be the final variant of concern. If we are lucky, and the course of this pandemic is hard to predict, SARS-CoV-2 will probably become an endemic virus that slowly mutates over time.

The disease might very likely be mild as some past exposure creates immunity that reduces the likelihood of hospitalisation and death. Most people will get infected the first time as a child, which could occur before or after a vaccine, and subsequent reinfections will barely be noticed. Only a small group of scientists will track SARS-CoV-2’s genetic changes over time, and the variants of concern will become a thing of the past – at least until the next virus jumps the species barrier.

Ben Krishna is a postdoctoral researcher or Immunology and Virology at the University of Cambridge. This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I love going to a movie theater because the screen is huge and the sound is so loud and you can have communal emotional experiences and there’s just a special feeling about the whole process. Not a single movie worth getting covid for.

Movies just get put on stream services in 2-3 months nowadays. There's a shitload of stuff on Prime. A lot of poo poo but plenty of stuff to occupy you if you're willing to look.

Got into Penny Dreadful last year. Really liked it. Don't touch City of Angels. It sucks.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Shear Modulus posted:

what did all the blue guys in the boxes do where they're all lumped together with no lines between them. the layout suggests they were all packed together in an airplane or a train or something

kreeningsons posted:

Does anyone have an english translation of this or higher res images so I can attempt to google translate my own

slightly higher rez source should be here: http://www.news.cn/local/2021-12/24/c_1128194722.htm
there's even an earlier version https://news.sina.com.cn/o/2021-12-23/doc-ikyamrmz0614278.shtml

you can attempt your own google translate. based on the watermarks, the sources for both is 北京日报 and you might find higher quality pics if you combine that with the keyword 确诊病例关系

the tweet is misleading, only cases with lines linking them showed probable causal link. as for the rest, it's still unclear who infected them. xi'an wouldn't be in total lockdown if they didn't gently caress up the transmission chain contact tracing. twitter pic 2's giant tan colored boxes with small blue boxes, they're gender and age (blue box) of confirmed cases grouped according to the date (white box) they tested positive. left tan box is for people who voluntarily went to test themselves, right top are cases picked up from fever clinics, right bottom are cases found among groups/persons of interest.

goons upthread have already said that what prompted this might be past incidences of probable surface infection (frozen seafood) and scaring people into taking greater precautions (same logic behind goons itt talking about wearing respirators in public having an unsettling effect on other people). i basically agree with their takes, not that im in any better position to know why xi'an govt is doing what they're doing. the govt might also be trying to atone for not taking poo poo seriously earlier, a bunch of govt officials heads r already on the chopping block.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm just struggling to still be personable and not visibly pissed and I'm not sure I'm succeeding

I am maybe polite to a fault and not a very good advocate for my own well being and no one else seems to care about that either so I am withering and retreating into my angry posting shell

we are in for a cold winter. Out of love you may need to be "cold" to people, to be offputting or awkward, precisely because you love them.
be strong svejk!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

a rare good article from npr with lots of pretty hard to look at pics

"Intimate portraits of a hospital COVID unit from a photojournalist-turned-nurse"

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...st-turned-nurse

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Strep Vote posted:

ngl I am pretty depressed by how many covid thread regulars decided that this was the time to yolo despite the near-perfect superspreader event being blindingly obvious.

otoh seeing my Aura during our very brief visit inspired my mom and siblings to upgrade from KF94s to Auras, and then my mom was able to convince her boyfriend and his kids to upgrade from cloth masks to Auras. So at least some good came of it. :unsmith:

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

McNugget Buddy posted:

If and when ADE happens, how are politicians even going to break that news to the public?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWuPW_Db-0

Morbus
May 18, 2004

quote:

The virus cannot, however, improve indefinitely. The laws of biochemistry mean that the virus will eventually evolve a spike protein that binds to ACE2 as strongly as possible.

Yeah, about that...

https://doi.org/10.1038/s41564-021-00954-4

vs.

https://doi.org/10.1021/acsinfecdis.1c00047

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

as someone who enjoys looking at memes written in foreign languages bereft of context I appreciate this post

the memes usually don't fill me with vague dread like this post did though so I have to assume this is bad news

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

https://twitter.com/watermelonpunch/status/1475290058349588480?s=20

If you'll excuse me, I have eight and a half million tweets to compose.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McNugget Buddy posted:

If and when ADE happens, how are politicians even going to break that news to the public?

easy: they won’t tell us

Morbus
May 18, 2004

blatman posted:

as someone who enjoys looking at memes written in foreign languages bereft of context I appreciate this post

the memes usually don't fill me with vague dread like this post did though so I have to assume this is bad news

People have made spike mutants in a lab that stick to ACE2 receptors with a disassociation constant (Kd) of ~1-10 pM. Smaller Kd means stronger binding to ACE2. This is down from an "unmutated" baseline of 1700

For antibodies from convalescent serum, the number is closer to 0.5 nM, or 500 pM

In order for antibodies to be effective at neutralizing spike, the antibody->spike affinity should be much lower than the spike->ACE2 affinity.

If spike evolves to "bind to ACE2 as strongly as possible", antibodies may just not be effective, period.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Morbus posted:

People have made spike mutants in a lab that stick to ACE2 receptors with a disassociation constant (Kd) of ~1-10 pM.
Mild dissociation

Not the best news! We'd be crossing our fingers and relying on the rest of the immune system at that point, right? And any (again, fingers crossed) treatments we've managed to develop at that point.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Morbus posted:

People have made spike mutants in a lab that stick to ACE2 receptors with a disassociation constant (Kd) of ~1-10 pM. Smaller Kd means stronger binding to ACE2. This is down from an "unmutated" baseline of 1700

For antibodies from convalescent serum, the number is closer to 0.5 nM, or 500 pM

In order for antibodies to be effective at neutralizing spike, the antibody->spike affinity should be much lower than the spike->ACE2 affinity.

If spike evolves to "bind to ACE2 as strongly as possible", antibodies may just not be effective, period.

thanks that's terrifying

edit: sorry if my earlier post came across as sarcastic, 2 years of steadily paring down my social circle as people become dangerous idiots has done a serious number on my sense of humor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like watching a movie on the TV because you can pause it, rewind it, take a break, watch it while wearing whatever, eat as much food as you like, don't have to wait for a showing, and on and on.

anyway, here's some poo poo:

Ben Krishna is a postdoctoral researcher or Immunology and Virology at the University of Cambridge. This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.

LMAO I started reading this thinking it was from spring of 2020, but that’s post Omicron?

Incredible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/CleanAirCrewOrg/status/1465064328718131202

I’m hearing about more and more people in situations where this sort of thing may help.

Here’s another basic page about the concept.
Negative pressure can keep airborne viruses from spreading to adjacent spaces. Positive pressure can keep viruses out of a space.

If you can open a window, it’s easy to rig a room or a small apartment to be at positive or negative pressure. Box fans can create a surprising amount of pressure, and they cost no more than thirty dollars.

Those dual small-fan window units probably work for a single room, with no filter, but if you can use a box fan, do. They’re far more powerful.

Put the fan in the window. Block the rest of the opening with cardboard or sheets of insulating foam cut to size. Big foam sheets are dirt cheap at DIY stores. Handsaws made for cutting wood cut foam well, just be prepared to clean up the mess. Seal the gaps around the foam or cardboard with adhesive tape—or don’t if you need to be able to remove the thing daily. The gaps around the edges make a relatively small difference, all things considered.

You may need to seal up things like central air inlets/outlets or attic access hatches. Beware of pulling exhaust out of oil/gas appliances within your home, like the furnace or water heater. Their exhaust drafts are gentle and can easily be overpowered by fans. This would expose you to carbon monoxide. Side note: everyone should have carbon monoxide monitors in their living space. Monitors are required in new construction with good reason.

You can filter the incoming or outgoing air by taping a furnace filter (MERV 12 to 14, higher better) to the face of the fan. Watch out for brands that claim filtration ratings that they don’t meet; FilterBuy is one of them. 3M’s Filtrete is good but expensive and they use their own rating system just to confuse everyone. The thicker the filter and its pleats, the better for airflow. Spacing the filter slightly from the fan also helps, as does shrouding the corners of the box fan with tape or cardboard.

You want at least eight pascals increase with the fan on for positive rooms. Two and a half pascals decrease for negative rooms is the rule but since your domicile probably doesn’t have a vestibule/airlock, you should aim for eight here as well. Most recent smartphones have barometers in them that can measure air pressure with this sensitivity. Close up the room as you would when using it, set your phone down somewhere not right in the path of airflow, run the barometer app for a short while till its fluctuations calm down, note the pressure, turn on the fan, and see how the number changes.

In hospitals, negative pressure rooms have been shown to help greatly against chickenpox even when no airlocks are present. In the present pandemic, many hospital rooms have been retrofitted with methods little different than what we’re doing here.

If you need more surface area to make the fan more effective and hit the pressure number, take inspiration from the Corsi Cube. To filter outgoing air, simply build the cube and stick the fan on the windowsill. If you need to filter air for a positive pressure room, the Cube must be built “the wrong way”, with the fan blowing into the box formed by the filters, so that you can once again keep the filters indoors with the fan on the windowsill. If you build the cube “the wrong way”, make sure that either the power switch remains accessible or that you have it in the on position. It would be a shame to tape up the cube and find that you have to take it apart to flip the switch.

For comparison, twenty pascals can be reached by a Lasko Power Plus fan (highly recommended) pushing into four 20x15x1 MERV 14 filters, or rather, two 20x30x1 filters cut in half (and the remaining side of the cube made of plain cardboard). You needn’t go overboard with an extreme amount of filter area. A three‐pack of 20x20x1 MERV 14 filters ought to do the job; they have the same total area.

Obviously all this air exchange is problematic when the temperature outside is uncooperative. You could use an inline, remote controlled outlet (as used with Christmas lights, for example) to manually activate the fan when you’re entering or exiting the room. Turning the fan on and off like this will stop you from having the full benefits of a true positive/negative space, but it may be worth it if the outside temperature is otherwise unbearable and the space is sealed well enough that the door opening/closing becomes the major problem.

It is a good idea to also place air purifiers (Corsi Cube or otherwise) within the space(s) to catch any ærosols before they have a chance to do harm to anyone, perhaps near the door, but you don’t want it creating turbulence there and disrupting the unidirectional airflow, so if you do put it there, turn it off before opening the door.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 31, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tweeting right through it https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-doctor-s-tweets-about-covid-19-deemed-inappropriate-and-unprofessional-by-regulator-1.5334692

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zugzwang posted:

Mild dissociation

Not the best news! We'd be crossing our fingers and relying on the rest of the immune system at that point, right? And any (again, fingers crossed) treatments we've managed to develop at that point.

I believe when that happens we are hosed.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/CleanAirCrewOrg/status/1465064328718131202

I’m hearing about more and more people in situations where this sort of thing may help.

Here’s another basic page about the concept.

Negative pressure can keep airborne viruses from spreading to adjacent spaces. Positive pressure can keep viruses out of a space.

If you can open a window, it’s easy to rig a room or a small apartment to be at positive or negative pressure. Box fans can create a surprising amount of pressure, and they cost no more than thirty dollars.

Put the fan in the window. Block the rest of the opening with cardboard or sheets of insulating foam cut to size. Big foam sheets are dirt cheap at DIY stores. Handsaws made for cutting wood cut foam well, just be prepared to clean up the mess. Seal the gaps around the foam or cardboard with adhesive tape—or don’t if you need to be able to remove the thing daily. The gaps around the edges make a relatively small difference, all things considered.

You may need to seal up things like central air inlets/outlets or attic access hatches. Beware of pulling exhaust out of oil/gas appliances within your home, like the furnace or water heater. Their exhaust drafts are gentle and can easily be overpowered by fans. This would expose you to carbon monoxide. Side note: everyone should have carbon monoxide monitors in their living space. Monitors are required in new construction with good reason.

You can filter the incoming or outgoing air by taping a furnace filter (MERV 12 to 14, higher better) to the face of the fan. Watch out for brands that claim filtration ratings that they don’t meet; FilterBuy is one of them. 3M’s Filtrete is good but expensive and they use their own rating system just to confuse everyone. The thicker the filter and its pleats, the better for airflow. Spacing the filter slightly from the fan also helps, as does shrouding the corners of the box fan with tape or cardboard.

You want at least eight pascals increase with the fan on for positive rooms. Two and a half pascals decrease for negative rooms is the rule but since your domicile probably doesn’t have a vestibule/airlock, you should aim for eight here as well. Most recent smartphones have barometers in them that can measure air pressure with this sensitivity. Close up the room as you would when using it, set your phone down somewhere not right in the path of airflow, run the barometer app for a short while till its fluctuations calm down, note the pressure, turn on the fan, and see how the number changes.

In hospitals, negative pressure rooms have been shown to help greatly against chickenpox even when no airlocks are present. In the present pandemic, many hospital rooms have been retrofitted with methods little different than what we’re doing here.

If you need more surface area to make the fan more effective and hit the pressure number, take inspiration from the Corsi Cube. To filter outgoing air, simply build the cube and stick the fan on the windowsill. If you need to filter air for a positive pressure room, the Cube must be built “the wrong way”, with the fan blowing into the box formed by the filters, so that you can once again keep the filters indoors with the fan on the windowsill. If you build the cube “the wrong way”, make sure that either the power switch remains accessible or that you have it in the on position. It would be a shame to tape up the cube and find that you have to take it apart to flip the switch.

For comparison, twenty pascals can be reached by a Lasko Power Plus fan (highly recommended) pushing into four 20x15x1 MERV 14 filters, or rather, two 20x30x1 filters cut in half (and the remaining side of the cube made of plain cardboard). You needn’t go overboard with an extreme amount of filter area. A three‐pack of 20x20x1 MERV 14 filters ought to do the job; they have the same total area.

Obviously all this air exchange is problematic when the temperature outside is uncooperative. You could use an inline, remote controlled outlet (as used with Christmas lights, for example) to manually activate the fan when you’re entering or exiting the room. Turning the fan on and off like this will stop you from having the full benefits of a true positive/negative space, but it may be worth it if the outside temperature is otherwise unbearable and the space is sealed well enough that the door opening/closing becomes the major problem.

It is a good idea to also place air purifiers (Corsi Cube or otherwise) within the space(s) to catch any ærosols before they have a chance to do harm to anyone, preferably near the door.

Thanks for the info. Although due to some financial issues had to move back in with my father because FML and my old room has an air conditioner so welp. Lol. Lmao.
Hopefully my corsi cube is enough. Well, corsi box. Financial issues so made the one filter version. Small room. Inshallah.

I'm in danger lol.

By the way my HF800 is doing some weird stuff and you're pretty knowledgeable about masking, mind if I shoot you a PM?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Conversely, Jack London, in 1908, published “The Iron Heel,” imagining an America under a fascist oligarchy in which “nine-tenths of one per cent” hold “seventy per cent of the total wealth.”

Ok that's going on the reading list immediately

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

By the way my HF800 is doing some weird stuff and you're pretty knowledgeable about masking, mind if I shoot you a PM?

Go ahead.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
I'd be surprised if brunch libs aren't in the finding out stage within one month from now, left with their own regrets for choosing poorly during the worst humanitarian disaster since the black plague. Or, y'know, they'll be far from any regrets like so many of their fellow Americans before them.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/amandalhu/status/1474867061566312455

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm just going to hang my respirator from my backpack wherever I go for the rest of my life, no matter what happens with COVID, and wear it whenever I feel my lungs are threatened, aren't I

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm just going to hang my respirator from my backpack wherever I go for the rest of my life, no matter what happens with COVID, and wear it whenever I feel my lungs are threatened, aren't I

Nah, because if you're hanging it from your backpack it's exposed to contaminated air.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

Mild dissociation

It may be possible to engineer a vaccine that elicits antibodies targeting some other part of the virus that are still broadly neutralizing. It would not be very straightforward, though. I'm not really optimistic...I think, in general, we should not expect vaccines to do anything the immune system on it's own can not or does not do, given enough time.

Honestly I don't know that more aggressive ACE2 binding would even make the virus "worse", in terms of severity, though. nAbs already do gently caress-all vs. omicron unless you are max titered, and the virulence we are seeing is pretty similar to what we've had with other variants. Since we live in the worst timeline, we may just end up with a scenario where nothing is stoping the virus, nobody cares, and it's just a tragic yet entirely sustainable disease burden on everyone, indefinitely.

It seems the most likely outcome of SARS-CoV-2 reaching its final form is just that it would give everyone an excuse to completely give up, and care even less than they do now. The perfect virus.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/26/africa/desmond-tutu-death-intl-hnk/index.html

No cause of death listed so he definitely got got by Omicron

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
thanks to this thread I am watching Don’t Look Up on Netflix and it feels like February 2020 The Movie

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Glumwheels posted:

I flew to India once and they sprayed insecticide in the airplane after we all boarded. I thought it was the most hosed thing and didn’t know it happened. I was really pissed.

lol one time I was catching a connecting flight in Guadalajara and they boarded everyone, only to realize that the cabin was filled with hundreds and hundreds of mosquitos, which caused everybody to freak out and try to swat them all, but there were simply too many and they kicked us all off for a few hours so they could run the air system at max pressure to try to blow them out the doors or something. I don’t remember if we ended up getting on the same plane or not but it was pretty whacky. Years later I was telling that story and tried to find footage of it happening on youtube, and I found a bunch of videos of completely different flights on completely different days having the same problem at the same airport.

I miss traveling.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Morbus posted:

Honestly I don't know that more aggressive ACE2 binding would even make the virus "worse", in terms of severity, though. nAbs already do gently caress-all vs. omicron unless you are max titered, and the virulence we are seeing is pretty similar to what we've had with other variants. Since we live in the worst timeline, we may just end up with a scenario where nothing is stoping the virus, nobody cares, and it's just a tragic yet entirely sustainable disease burden on everyone, indefinitely.

Call it optimism or call it cynicism, but I maintain that this being the new normal is not really in the realm of possibility. Things will either get worse and eventually lead to complete collapse, or they will have to get at least a little bit better. We could maybe have had Wildtype lasting indefinitely with the current batch of vaccines and no other NPIs as the corpse shambled along until climate change finish it off, and maaaaaybe even with Delta if we did some sort of seasonal lockdowns or something to keep hospitals from collapsing. But Omicron and the worse variants that will follow are not sustainable. This literally cannot become the new normal. Things will get worse, or they will get better, but they will change.

I can't find the clip from the Simpsons but I remember an episode once with Dr. Nick saying something like "In the morning he'll be better. Or he'll be dead. But the important part is, we'll know!"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Steve Yun posted:

thanks to this thread I am watching Don’t Look Up and it feels like February 2020 The Movie

It owns

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Morbus posted:

we may just end up with a scenario where nothing is stoping the virus, nobody cares, and it's just a tragic yet entirely sustainable disease burden on everyone, indefinitely.

It seems the most likely outcome of SARS-CoV-2 reaching its final form is just that it would give everyone an excuse to completely give up, and care even less than they do now. The perfect virus.
This is also my concern. The virus hit a sweet spot both virologically and psychologically in that it's extremely transmissible, but people who want to can ignore it and most of them will survive it (such as, sadly, Joe Rogan).

I'd like to think that collapsing the healthcare system will make more people pay attention to it. Then again, at least in the US, healthcare is already mega-broken, may never be fixed, and the people most likely to ignore the virus are the people most likely to act as apologists for the current system. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ariana Grande has unlocked a new race

kater
Nov 16, 2010

getting recommended don't look up by anti-vax 'i became a prepper in fear of blue jan 6th' family members has broken me.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

its the anime future we deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Morbus posted:

this is that variant. we lost, we’re giving up, and we’re gonna file it with antibiotic resistance and all the other contradictions between capital and science.