Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e: dp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity channeling their best Geese Howard

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

Rarity channeling their best Geese Howard

I have no idea who this is

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

I have no idea who this is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLekt6fGous

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I was worried that my post would have complaints over it being too long and having too many big gifs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was worried that my post would have complaints over it being too long and having too many big gifs.

When it comes to GOTY there's no such thing

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I won't complain but I also won't pay full attention.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

heck you just added to The Gigantic Page of Ten Billion Words, it was very appropriate

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have beaten 73 games this year and flushed playthroughs of many more so getting down to only 10 is pretty painful.

To help narrow it down i'm restricting to just 2021 releases.

Honorable mention Games i loved that missed the list:

Cybershadow: supremely tight ninja gaiden revival. Better than its inspiration and only slightly less bullshit!

Disco Elysium Final Cut: gave this a number 1 vote last year. Played it again for the expansion. Still great.

Raiden IV x mikado remix: classic shmup with all new incredible ost from the legendary mikado arcade.

Diablo 2 resurrected: my fav game ever but still full of bullshit qol issues they could fix.

Forgotten city: in a year of time loop games this is the only one that did it right.

Loop hero: very cool concept for bringing depth and decision making to an idle game

Toem: in a year of super cute indie games this one is still worth a play. Feels like a wheres waldo book you explore with a camera.

Shadow tactics blade of the shogun aiko's choice: great stand alone dlc for an incredible game. Being stand alone it needs to retutorialize the player and its over after only a few maps that reach the complexity the game is capable of.

Resident evil 8: another classic. Capcom is on a roll. I just cant give it a spot on my list cause its a little uneven in the back half.

top ten

10. Returnal
Great action, tough build choices, and very tense moments are part of every run of this roguelike experience. Never had such a rush of adrenaline all year compared with this game.

9. Monster hunter rise
Monhun continues to get better and better with less bullshit. Only downsides are i feel bad for the monsters now with each player's dog along to help gang assault them and also the rampage mode bores me.

8. Chicory
Lot of 2d zelda clones this year wanted this spot but chicory claims it for having an engaging set of non combat mechanics at its foundation for both practical traversal and frivolous self expression. Too many games blew their chances to get ranked this year with boring repetitive combat dragging out the levels (psychonauts 2 i'm looking at you) but chicory lets you chill and just paint every screen of the game however you like and saves what approaches its take on combat for the boss moments.

7. Earth defense force: world brothers
A nice breath of fresh air for the series. Great new character switching mechanics make solo play much less tedious while allowing multiplayer to be less frustrating cause scrubs can res their own characters themselves much of the time. The bright new voxel graphics, sense of humor, and bumping music were also a great fit for the series thats been stagnant in the 50s b movie aesthetic for too long.

6. Ys 9: monstrum nox
A b-tier jrpg take on the open world superhero sandbox genre that just works. I love ys games for their speed and flow of combat and exploration. 9 adds traversal super powers that allow the dungeon levels to be more vertical and complex than ever before.

5. Nier replicant
The new ending content is worth replaying the game 3.5 times. Its a glorious and beautiful moment that all nier fans must see. The new campaign chapter is excellent as well and develops in cool new ways with each playthrough.

4. Everhood
Indie rhythm game with an incredible style and great music. The narrative is very cool too.

3. Bowsers fury
They did it. They made open world mario and only slightly hosed it up with amibo poo poo.

2. Inscryption
Incredibly cool genre shifting card game. The less I say the better. Its special.

1. guilty gear strive
They threw decades of guilty gear gameplay conventions out the window and rebooted the series with a simplified new vision and incredible graphics and music. The choice to do mostly vocal tracks and the inclusion of female vocalists for the lady character theme songs is so good too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ITS BOLD

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Some bold choices there

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I was so loving happy to see Popful Mail in someone's list. I played that game decades ago the first time I got into emulation as a poor with a barely-good-enough computer, and I thought I was the only one left who still remembered it. :unsmith: Thanks for doing it justice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Legendary list veeg, it was such a wild ride this year.

Bad Beap feels: my pick for your #1 was FF7R for the last 3 months and in the last week I second guessed and chose Sekiro :unsmigghh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You still won tho! Congratulations!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:eyepop:

edit VVVVVVVV #whoa

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 27, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe you got 18 points. morally and I got 14 and someone else got 16. Super impressive prediction skills BP!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Where is the tally? Looks like I got 8 out of 10 right but none in the correct spot :D

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

This truly was the year of Final Fantasy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

not to mention last year and next year hell yeah

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

Nailed it :smug:

Good work scoops

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Good afternoon to all top ten entries apart from Final Fantasy :mad:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
1) Returnal (Hands down the most inventive and creative and interesting game I played this year. Mechanically if feels amazing to play, it feels amazing to gut gud, I love the structure and the beats and the twists, easy GOTY)

2) Outriders (I really like gaming with my little brother and it’s a game we both really love to play and it’s really simple and clean and fun)

3) Dark Souls 3 (epic beautiful emotional roller coaster, highs and lows, pinnacle of gaming at times, blah blah blah perfection)

4) Metroid Dread (the first game in the series to let us play as someone as badass and powerful as the character we all imagined her to be from the previous games)

5) Resident Evil 8 (even if the second half sucked, I think Castle -> Dollhouse was epic and Dollhouse is the most uncomfortable a video game has ever made me. If the game had maintained this momentum and energy then it would have been a masterpiece instead of merely “pretty good to fine”)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Returnal!!!!!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright I sat on this for awhile, struggling to fill out 5-10 on the list in a year that felt like it was about 4 games for me. I'm not saying this was a bad year for games, I'm saying this was a bad year for me playing games because...

Honorable Mention - My Bed
My bed isn't so much a 'game' as it is a place where I would often go and sleep because I found myself without the energy to play many of the games I bought. Sometimes I would look at my Steam library, think 'ok time to play this' and feel myself getting sleepier just thinking about it. My favorite games this year were games that energized my gray meat and inspired me to get out of bed.

10) Monster Sanctuary

There are few things in video games I love more than capturing lovable monsters, nurturing them into murderblenders and forcing them to do my bidding. I am a diehard pokefan (which should make BD/SP's absence from this list conspicuous). I also love metroidvanias so a mixture of the two was a surefire path to my heart. And I loved almost every minute of this game. Unfortunately I bounced off of it when it felt like the end stretch took the difficulty curve and turned it into a sheer wall. For me anyway. I've seen other people's mileage vary.

9) Mortal Kombat 11

Mortal Kombat is a weird duck in the fighting game world. It's a game people go to for the story and the extracurriculars rather than the fighting mechanics. Because Mortal Kombat's actual Kombat...isn't the best. I certainly wasn't thinking of picking it up until I started binging youtube videos of Kombat intros and I decided I needed to immerse myself in this wonderful B-Movie kung fu world. And it (mostly) did not disappoint. The story is extremely fun. The 'Towers of Time' (gauntlets of fights against the AI where you acquire currency for unlocks and also unlocks specific to the towers) is not only fun but a reflection of the game's design philosophy: Mortal Kombat knows you probably suck at it but still want to unlock things. So it makes it easy for you to do so by giving you access to a plethora of consumable items that can be used during battle that can trivialize most fights...including the ones where the AI is using consumables against you. With the Krypt they made the actual act of unlocking things a fun adventure romp as you explore the ruins of Shang Tsung's island.

The only two failings for me is that A: the DLC story felt unrewarding and uncathartic. and B: The Fatalities. They've gone too far. WAY too far. I thought I was just getting soft in my old age but no, they are just that grotesque. Grotesque enough that I eventually bounced off the game because unlocking the final part of the crypt requires doing about a bajillion of them and just no. Grotesque enough that they gave at least one of the artists PTSD. Too much man, too much. I have no idea how the Mortal Kombat series pulls up from this going forward. I don't think it can.

8) The World Ends With You NEO

My memories of the unique and fascinating gem that was the original occupy a unique space in my brain. NEO knows this and does its best to tap into this; going heavy on nostalgia while giving its own elements time to breathe. I wish I could elaborate further but as much as I loved it while playing it was still very much a set it and forget it experience.

7) Shin Megami Tensei V

I love the SMT series. Enough so that if I didn't own a Switch I would have bought one to play this one. And this one is good. Very good. Eschewing conventional dungeons (mostly) for sprawling, labyrinthine urban wastes gave the game a definite mechanical uniqueness from its predecessors. The core combat gameplay that has carried this series for 7 iterations or so now is still intact and still kicking rear end. Buuuut there was a definite feeling that this game didn't quite live up to the games that came before it. A big reason for this is because in my mind SMT is a game series that gets by large on the eerie mood and atmosphere that its offers. And frankly I'd consider this offering to be the weakest of the bunch in terms of that, including the SNES predecessors. It's hard to describe how an atmosphere is disappointing but I'll tell you, the neon blue misplaced Shonen protagonist did not help that in the slightest. Regardless of that, SMT V was still an amazing game that swallowed my days and nights.

6) King's Bounty II

Massive Fan of 1C's King's Bounty series. Love the core combat mechanics. Love the ability to cheat my way to places to I have no business being and profit from it (keep this in mind, it will come up later). Now up to this point King's Bounty had hit 4 iterations + expansions of basically the same core game that frankly peaked with the second one. They decided it was time to move on and give the series a face lift, try to elevate it from a niche indie title to something that might catch eyes from outside of it's core audience. From this KB 2 (actually 5) was born. It scrubbed away all of the series' (some would say dated) mechanics to accommodate more modern design sensibilities. And in doing so it got rid of a lot of the game's core problems (the most notable one I kept going back to was how necessary Paladins and Inquisitors were in most of the games). However it also got rid of everything that made the series special. You see this at #6 and you think 'oh it's great'. I was hoping this would be #1 or #2. #6 constitutes a big disappointment. King's Bounty 2 is the ultimate 'It is good for what it is' game. If you decouple it from its legacy and lord knows it kept me engaged for the ride. But the whole time I was wishing it was just 'more of the same'.

5) Pokemon: Per Aspera Ad Astra

I had forgotten about this game in my initial list, which was a mistake. Amazing pokemon fangame. How amazing? It's here, BD/SP isn't. It's a fan game that had a tremendous amount of love, care and production values(seriously look up the trailer on Youtube) put into it. It avoids a lot of pitfalls that other pokemon games fall in. The difficulty is threatening but (mostly) reasonable and the game uses up its edgy quotient 10 minutes in. Also it has this guy. What else could you want?

4) Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children

Coming out of nowhere it's a Korean Xcom-Lite that consumed a huge chunk of my August. You ever play X-Com and just want something like it but more chill. Something where instead of every wrong move leading to utter catastrophe you're empowered and mowing down your enemies like some sort of SRPG musou game while at the same time loving around with builds and set pieces and crafting? Well here you go friends. Worried it will end before you want it to? No problem the game is like 100 loving hours long. Want an excellent plot with great characters? Eeeeeh...you can't have everything. You want a game where a cult consisting of people wearing spoons on their faces is supposed to be taken seriously? Welcome to nirvana. Do you want a 100 hour obscure indie title by an unknown studio that concludes with 'End of Part 1'? I have no idea why you would but here you go. Overall excellent game if you love X-Com but hate failure.

3) Wooden Ocean

This list was delayed the better part of a week because how much I dreaded the write-up to this game. This game is the ex-partner you can't get out of your mind but know full well that if you ever got back together one or both of you would end up dead. This game is magnificent. This game is horrible. This game is obtuse and obscure as hell. How obtuse and obscure? Enough so that when I beat it I was greeted with a (since deleted) tweet from the game's lead (only?) designer congratulating me on being the second person he knew of to accomplish the task.

This seems to be a lot of emotions for an RPG maker game, it is. So what's so good about it to spawn this response? There are three big things. 1) A gigantic JRPG truly-open world to get completely and utterly lost in. Not just completely and utterly lost. Completely and utterly lost in a way where you can wander into places containing things you have no business encountering at your level and escape with goodies you have no business acquiring. It is a game that takes my attention deficient gray meat and pulls it into a million directions at once. Is this terrible? gently caress no. Because no matter WHAT I'm paying attention to it is the right thing to pay attention to. A seemingly endless cascade of 'my kind of poo poo' to engage my every goddamn synapse. How many JRPGs can do this? Not many.
2) An incredibly versatile and interesting combat system. How many elements do you want in your video game? 4? 8? Nah you want 16. You want to deal thread and blood and gravity damage. you want to use radiation to give your enemies cancer. Well maybe you don't (ok, honestly you really don't it's pretty garbage) but you get the idea. Do you want to mix and match them? Do it up. It's not as concise as SMT's combat system but it makes up for it in a very wild-west raw freeform kind of way. 3) The narrative. The worldbuilding. The loving insanity. I'm not going to get into detail. I can't. It's too insane. You might have played crazy-rear end RPG maker games before. It's in that vein. Probably moreso.

So what's so bad as to spawn this response: It's the obscure RPG maker work of a single auteur with all the flaws and all the stupid bullshit that entails. Almost the entire game map is dark. Dark as gently caress. This dark. Dark enough that you can miss important details like treasure chests and save points (right) and unlit teleportation crystals (lit one on the left).

The game is filled with (blessedly optional) puzzles. Some of them give way to self-indulgence and are trivia about the design and development of the game so enjoy brute-forcing those. There are gigantic, ambitious unfinished chunks of map hanging around. There is a minigame that I'm not sure is actually beatable. There are points of no return. One of which was so egregious when I complained it on these forums another forums user who had the devs ear passed it along. And I guess caught him in a good mood because he changed it. And also added this to the game.

(That's right, I'm actually mentioned in the game. This is part of an entire very flattering dialogue chain. Unfortunately it came too late for me as I had already started a second game by then).

Just to be clear, this was a completely untelegraphed point of no return in a game where you can't make backup saves. So goodbye 20 hours.
And there is grinding. Holy poo poo there is grinding. Particularly if you want to actually 'beat' the game. I won't lie, it sorta turns into Disgaea Jr. at the end.
And for all the effort the dev put into worldbuilding he also takes a special sadistic glee in not completely explaining anything. So after 127 hours put into an RPG maker game I am left with more questions than answers. Which gnaws at my soul.
And for all this confusion remember this game is obscure as hell so you're not going to find a ton of help online for it.

So in short. I love this game. I hate this game.

gently caress this game
Marry this game
Kill this game

2) Aegis Rim: 13 Sentinels

Ok I see no need to rehash all the praise everybody else has thrown on this game so I will simply add this: you might have noticed that even though this is a top 10 list I have been throwing a lot of shade. Can't help it. It's who I am. But this game? I got nothing. An almost-perfect experience from bell-to-bell. I was certain this was going to be #1 this year from the moment I beat it back in May. But then this happened.

1) Pathfinder: War of the Righteous

This game ate my October.
And then it followed it up by eating my November.
I have 340 hours in this game across 3 playthroughs. I have yet to beat it.
Whereas Aegis Rim was nigh-perfect from bell-to-bell this game has peaks and valleys. But the peaks...the delicious peaks. Just like Wooden Ocean, a game that will drown your synapses in busywork, not only with the game itself but the conceptualization of builds. It's a faithful (maybe too much so) translation of a Tabletop game that comes with 24 classes, each with 6 sub-classes, 13 Prestige Classes and the ability to mix and match. Then add on 10 'mythic paths' that give you even MORE options and drastically change the story when you choose which one to follow and you have a recipe for a single player experience you can get lost in forever.

Easy List for Rarity
10) Monster Sanctuary
9) Mortal Kombat 11
8) The World Ends With You: Neo
7) Shin Megami Tensei V
6) King's Bounty 2
4) Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
3) Wooden Ocean
2) Aegis Rim: 13 Sentinels
1) Pathfinder: Kingmaker

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 27, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Lady Radia posted:

I was so loving happy to see Popful Mail in someone's list. I played that game decades ago the first time I got into emulation as a poor with a barely-good-enough computer, and I thought I was the only one left who still remembered it. :unsmith: Thanks for doing it justice.

Thanks. It's insane how many gems the Genesis had. I always find the current general consensus of "Yeah there was a console 'war' but in reality the Super Nintendo had a WAY better library than the Sega Genesis!" I always find myself turning on my Genesis far more often than my Super Nintendo.

Also, make sure to download the Romhack that fixes the difficulty of Popful Mail if you try it again.

ChrisBTY posted:

7) Shin Megami Tensei V

I love the SMT series. Enough so that if I didn't own a Switch I would have bought one to play this one. And this one is good. Very good. Eschewing conventional dungeons (mostly) for sprawling, labyrinthine urban wastes gave the game a definite mechanical uniqueness from its predecessors. The core combat gameplay that has carried this series for 7 iterations or so now is still intact and still kicking rear end. Buuuut there was a definite feeling that this game didn't quite live up to the games that came before it. A big reason for this is because in my mind SMT is a game series that gets by large on the eerie mood and atmosphere that its offers. And frankly I'd consider this offering to be the weakest of the bunch in terms of that, including the SNES predecessors. It's hard to describe how an atmosphere is disappointing but I'll tell you, the neon blue misplaced Shonen protagonist did not help that in the slightest. Regardless of that, SMT V was still an amazing game that swallowed my days and nights.

I agree. There is something off about Shin Megami Tensei V that I had to put it down despite being a long time fan.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ChrisBTY posted:

I had forgotten about this game in my initial list, which was a mistake. Amazing pokemon fangame. How amazing? It's here, BD/SP isn't. I won't get into details because I am already exhausted from effortposting.

wait no this is the only one I'm actually curious about

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alxprit posted:

wait no this is the only one I'm actually curious about

OP updated. Not a ton of information into the nitty gritty because I played it 6+ months ago but you'll get the idea I hope.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

9. Chernobylite
Flawed, repetitive, but there’s something here that really stuck with me. I should probably just play Tarkov.

8. The Ascent
Maybe the best looking environments I’ve ever seen.

7. Atelier Ayesha
Played the PS2 games ages ago, but this was my first time really giving this series its day in court. Really enjoyed the freeform structure and will be checking out more soon.

6. Unsighted
Fully admit to turning off the timers, I liked the exploration too much not to. Little too much reliance on annoying add phases in later encounters, but the combat is rock solid.

5. Shin Megami Tensei V
Like the ideas here a lot a lot. Execution (out of combat anyway) can be a little rough around the edges.

4. Blasphemous
Huge turnaround from the original release. Probably my favorite of the Metroidvania Renaissance?

3. Valheim
Playing this with friends earlier in the year was a very timely, cathartic experience.

2. Final Fantasy IX
I hadn’t played this in 20 years. Moguri Mod is like playing it for the first time again. Would really appreciate this treatment for Chrono Cross.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
This was something special and I’m glad I’ve been able to experience it step by step over the last decade.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I knew I'd end up regretting doing my list early because now I've played & finished Life is Strange: True Colors and want to fit it on my list somehow.

Hell.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I knew I'd end up regretting doing my list early because now I've played & finished Life is Strange: True Colors and want to fit it on my list somehow.

Hell.
You can do that, you just have to make sure Rarity knows you updated your list

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
10. Final Fantasy 14: Heavensward

I picked up FF14 during the summer doldrums and, frankly, didn't love it. Don't get me wrong, it makes a good impression, especially for an MMO, but A Realm Reborn is a bit of a slog 75% of the time. That last 25%, however, is very much worth your time because it leads directly into Heavensward, which is one of the best Final Fantasy games i've ever played. As I type this, the insane high note of the theme song is ringing through my head. All the somewhat vague and convoluted characterizations from ARR come together to create an incredibly well written and polished RPG that feels like a sea change from what came before it. I got about halfway through Stormblood before I realized I wasn't going to be ready for Endwalker, and frankly it isn't nearly as good, but I hear great things about Shadowbringers and I'm genuinely excited to catch up in 2022. It also must be said that in incredibly stark contrast to the entire rest of the industry, this team has consistently put players over profit at nearly every turn, which must be commended and makes it that much easier to pay the subscription.

9. Persona 5: Strikers

I expected a musou with a typically garbage Persona b-side plot. Persona Q was incomprehensible, Ultimax was... a story that existed. I guess the Akechi part was fun. Q2 was better, but as much as I liked that game it never once felt canon. Persona spinoffs were always at least a little bit garbage. This bucks the trend completely by being a super fun hybrid action thing that somehow turns the SMT press turn system into a hectic beat-em-up and it rules. It's not really a musou, but it's not really anything else either. It's also a full fledged (if less consequential) story sequel to Persona 5 with consistent character writing. It also introduces some genuinely awesome new characters, especially Sophie. I guess there were bits that dragged a bit, and I haven't felt a desperate need to replay it, but it was the perfect summer romp and I would absolutely love a sequel.

8. Atelier Rorona

https://i.imgur.com/Je33KGA.mp4

This was my first Atelier game and it's just absolutely delightful. I was going through some really unpleasant mental health poo poo, and this game honestly helped. It's nice not to have to save the world sometimes. There's no unspeakable evil in this game to defeat (other than capitalism and monarchy, the workers of arland need to rise up against their feudal lords and seize the means of alchemy, but that's just my opinion.) It's mostly about making bombs and making friends, the soundtrack is delightful, the art is lovely and it's certified Anime as loving poo poo. I'm really looking forward to starting Totori, or maybe checking out Ayesha or Ryza.

7. Metroid Dread

I loved Super Metroid and Fusion but I haven't delved too deep down the Metroid Mines. Dread doesn't match the objective video game perfection of Super Metroid but it comes closer than Fusion, and that's saying a lot. The pacing in this game is absolutely brilliant, it's impossible to get bored. Just starting to get sick of exploring this biome? Well, time to run for your life before an EMMI eats your face. Oh dear, looks like you've checked every corner and you don't want to start backtracking yet? Well here's a complex boss fight to chew on! The difficulty of this game is absolutely perfect. Much more challenging than your average mainstream "triple a" game of recent generations, but much more fair than the 8 bit era of pixel hunting and quarter munching play time inflation. 2022 is going to be the year I play the Prime games and I'm champing at the bit.

6. Psychonauts 2

https://i.imgur.com/4DOOWY7.mp4

I love Tim Schafer games. I grew up with Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle. I even thought Brutal Legend was Not That Bad. I am just not that into 3d platformers as a genre. I've played and enjoyed some of the various marios and such but they're just not really my thing, especially when they lean into the collect-a-thon aspect. But with Psychonauts 2 coming out, I went back and played the first one and I was hooked. It's incredible. And the sequel is even more incredible. It turns out that this is the year I most needed a charming, polished romp through various wacky characters' fractured psyches. Everything comes together in this game. It's not only a seamless continuation of the brilliant original, but it's an expansion in all the best ways. It is also, somehow, one of two games on this list about diving into other people's minds and solving their problems.

5. Undertale

Much like my #1 game this year, enough ink has been spilled about this game that I'm not going to bother writing a whole paragraph for it. I played it in small chunks over something like 9 months because I just didn't want it to end. I still don't, and Deltarune is a surefire bet for my list next year, especially if we get another chapter.

4. Metal Gear Solid 3

Last year I said that Death Stranding was the most Kojima thing ever to exist. I think this is still true, but MGS3 is what happens when you get the man a loving editor. And it's glorious. Nearly every Kojima game spends at least some of its energy in non-diagetic rambling diatribes about the existential crisis of modern humanity. MGS3 shows a remarkable amount of restraint in this department, and what shows through are the characters. I don't think any of the characters of the Metal Gear series are as well written or expressive as Naked Snake, young Ocelot, Volgin, Eva and especially The Boss. The soundtrack is nothing short of legendary. And then there's the gameplay.
For me, the central appeal to the Metal Gear Solid games is how you're given a scenario with a practically infinite toolset, and every single possible action you can take leads to a cinematic outcome. MGS3 is a god drat cornucopia in this regard. The sheer breadth of wacky poo poo you can pull off in this world is absolutely unparalleled for the era, the vast majority of it is intended and accounted for, and very little of it breaks the game. You could go in guns blazing, or you could collect a bunch of random food, wait for it to go bad, blow up the guards' food supply, toss them rotten food from cover once they're hungry enough and waltz right in as they roll around on the floor pooping themselves. It's a technical masterpiece.
I have nothing at all bad to say about it, other than it runs a bit crappy on PS3. Emulate it on something better.

3. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

This is Vanillaware's magnum opus. It hurts my soul that this is a relatively niche game with a low print run and a console exclusivity deal. It is consistently beautiful in the unique, hand-crafted, exclusively Vanillaware style. The complexity of creating this story absolutely boggles my mind. Even if it unfolded in a linear fashion, there are so many twists and turns that you never once feel like you truly understand what's happening until the very end. But it doesn't unfold in a linear fashion. You choose, with relatively little restriction, which character's story you'd like to advance, chapter by chapter. These individual plot lines reference and foreshadow each other so that with any given entry point you're sucked into a vortex of mysteries, cats, time travel, yakisoba pan and giant robots until it's 3 in the morning and you fall asleep in your chair. Watching people post their revelations in spoiler tags on discord as their minds are blown over and over again is its own wonderful postgame that I can't get enough of.

2. Anodyne 2

You should play this game if you've ever liked games. You should play this game if you meditate, or if also you don't meditate. You should play this game if you appreciate the way PS1 era graphics were always slightly wrong. You should play this game if you have ever lost yourself in some esoteric PC adventure game late at night with a broken heart. You should play this game if a pixelated vista and the right soundtrack can genuinely move you. You should play this game if you like deep, throbbing sub bass. You should play this game if you snuck out of bed at night to watch weird movies on vhs in the basement. You should play this game if it's raining and the city looks old. You should play this game if you're in a house in the desert with a teal sky and only one cloud. You should play this game.

1. Bloodborne

It's bloodborne. I platinumed bloodborne this year, so it's number one. I'm not going to write out a paragraph about bloodborne. You know it, you've played it. If you haven't, you're doing it wrong. It's the best game and I will not be taking questions about blood vials at this time.

---

The Rarity Corner:

10 FF14: Heavensward
9 Persona 5: Strikers
8 Atelier Rorona
7 Metroid Dread
6 Psychonauts 2
5 Undertale
4 Metal Gear Solid 3
3 13 Sentinels
2 Anodyne 2
1 Bloodborne

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 27, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hell.

Just edit the OP and alert Rarity!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
These didn't make my top ten, but I thought I'd write about them anyway.

[game you like]
I feel like I gave it more than an fair chance, but it turns out [game you like] really sucks.What can I say? Sorry you liked it.

Twelve Minutes
Don't play this game.

Final Fantasy Legend III
Everybody can turn into a monster/robot/mutant/human! Queue five hours of frustration as everybody constantly turns into the wrong one.

Carrion
Playing as a carnivorous pulsating mass was a lot of fun to start with, but the finicky controls and the absolutely inexcusable lack of an ingame map made this one wear out its welcome quickly.

Yakuza 4 Remastered
Why the hell did they park a cop directly outside of Serena in Premium Adventure? Who the hell thought that anybody wanted to play the chase game every time they switched to/from Saejima? There's a lot of reasons that I'm never playing this one again, but this one stuck with me.

Carto
It's like Carcassonne but cute with some good puzzles and some dumb puzzles - perfectly fine gamepass fare.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster
Beat this twice and can confirm, Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage/Red Mage is still the best FF1 party. (Thief/Monk/White Mage/Black Mage, not so much.)

Yakuza 3 Remastered
It was quite a shock going from K2 to this, but Kiryu living his best life at an Okinawa orphanage was charming enough that I forgave all the jank and ten thousand sub stories. Warning: play this on easy!

Eggerland Mystery
No Don Medusas or Leepers, and the Skulls kinda sleepwalk everywhere, but all the other stuff that makes Lolo Lolo is here in the first entry.

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (NES)
I dipped my toes into a lot of ancient first person dungeon crawlers this year, but this is the only one I saw all the way through. I killed so many ghosts named Murphy, or ghosts owned by Murphy.

Final Fantasy Legend II
They overcorrected the monster situation from the first game to the point where they barely feel worth it. Thankfully robots have arrived to pick up the slack.

And now top ten.

10) Romancing SaGa (SNES)
I feel like I missed so much in this, quite aside from the other six (five?) characters I didn't start with. I'll be back someday. What a weird game.

9) Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster
My eternal comfort game, I'm always ready to rocket through this whenever they drop a new version, and this version is probably the best way to play it in 2D.

8) Yakuza Kiwami
Felt oddly like an expansion pack for 0, which was perfectly okay with me! Majima popping out of the nearest manhole to stab your rear end never got old.

7) Baba Is You
I've given up on this repeatedly on PC whenever I get to the point where the puzzles are tricky enough that I can't solve more than one or two in a sitting. Then I found out it's available on mobile and I can stare at the puzzles I'm stuck on forever! Hooray?

6) Return of the Obra Dinn
Just enough puzzle with creepy visuals and a fantastic soundtrack. I want to scrub my brain out and play it again.

5) Yakuza Kiwami 2
After the 30 fps shock wore off (console...) I was absolutely floored. So many QoL upgrades in the new engine, so much fun throwing fools off of bridges, so many tigers to punch. I even did all the drat bouncer missions because I didn't want to stop playing.

4) Hades
Just one more run, I swear!

3) The Binding of Isaac: Repentance
Isaac expansions have been a mixed bag ever since Wrath of the Lamb - any new content has to be weighed against all the straight up bullshit that comes with it. With Repentance, they rebalanced dozens of little things in favor of the players for a change (angel/devil rooms are good again! self red heart damage doesn't penalize you anymore! lost! keeper! portals! etc) as well as adding an absolute shitload of content. This is the best Isaac has ever been.

2) Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
What a followup to VIII! The most wonderful game in the greatest of series.

1) Yakuza 0
I never thought I would like the Yakuza series, I had grabbed this off game pass and didn't touch it for a year because I figured it would just be a boring slog. Well, was I ever wrong. With the sheer amount of everything in this game, it's hard to point to any single thing that made it special for me, but its sense of humor deserves a shout out. Whether they're racing slot cars against preteens or helping a man who's just trying to cross a bridge, Kiryu and Majima stay dead serious throughout every ludicrous situation, with hilarious results. I can't think of a game that made me laugh as much as this one (the prize for bowling a turkey. Majima's final stance revelation. Kiryu flying off the track. Every ron/tsumo. I'll stop now). Someone in Imp Zone posted that Yakuza 0 was so good they thought it changed them. Everyone had a good laugh but you know what? They were right - Yakuza 0 was so good I think it changed me. If you haven't bounced off of it already give it a try.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The 7th Guest posted:

You can do that, you just have to make sure Rarity knows you updated your list

exquisite tea posted:

Just edit the OP and alert Rarity!

I mean yeah, the problem is figuring out where to fit it on my list. :shepface:

Rarity posted:

6. If you want to go back and edit your list after the fact then go for it, just shoot one of us a PM or post in the thread to let us know you have or it might not get counted.

However I have figured this out and edited my list appropriately.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 27, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

no way, it's a fine list

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do my votes not count if they aren’t in descending order? Bust Rodd likes to follow the rules!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bust Rodd posted:

Do my votes not count if they aren’t in descending order? Bust Rodd likes to follow the rules!

They do count... in reverse :unsmigghh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

welcome posted:

10) Romancing SaGa (SNES)
I feel like I missed so much in this, quite aside from the other six (five?) characters I didn't start with. I'll be back someday. What a weird game.

The PS2 remake is even better, check it out if you can.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I should play Anodyne 2 and Psychonauts 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Just a heads-up, I edited my list. Didn't think I'd finish Far Cry 6 in time, but I did and it was very good.

I also picked up the FFVII Remake Intermission thing in the holiday sale, so we'll see if I knock it out quick enough and have to edit my list again lol