Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

thanks to this thread I am watching Don’t Look Up on Netflix and it feels like February 2020 The Movie
lol i wanted to watch this with my spouse and she noped out after hearing about the premise
don't look up upon don't look up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

speaking of don't look up

Bullfrog posted:

a rare good article from npr with lots of pretty hard to look at pics

"Intimate portraits of a hospital COVID unit from a photojournalist-turned-nurse"

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...st-turned-nurse
these photos are amazing

and should be blasted over all major media outlets 24/7

alas

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Yeah it’s very fun and doesn’t make me feel crazy at all to try to explain to people that the government is lying to them and actually they need to wear masks.

It’s weird, too, because basically everyone will agree if you say “the government lies to people.” That’s up there with “those clowns in congress are at it again.” If you say “the government is lying about this thing in particular,” you get a lot of “whoah lol citation needed is your tinfoil hat too tight you qanon weirdo/communist.”

I get that everyone thinks the government is lying about different things, but you’d think it would be easier to get a population that already uniformly distrusts the government to be able to look at a lie and then evidence that it was a lie and notice a discrepancy. Of course, this doesn’t work, because the lie is about how it’s safe and good to go get hammered and eat num nums and watch another spiderman, so everyone is heavily incentivized to believe the lie.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zodium posted:

this is that variant. we lost, we’re giving up, and we’re gonna file it with antibiotic resistance and all the other contradictions between capital and science.

Nah we've got lots of room to get worse. ACE2 binding isn't nearly as high as it could be. FCS bullshit is dialed way down from delta...nothing stopping it from going back up. God loving knows what m-m-m-monster kill wombo-recombo we're gonna get from the dozen or so animal reservoirs we've built up so far.

But yes, while the virus will continue to evolve, I suppose it's hard for society to give up any harder than it already has

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

king county. wa

coughing hard, thank you!

where do yall think number has been headed in the last week??? :laugh:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I think I posted this a long time ago, but when I was grinding a lot of metal in my garage I put together a simple but fairly savage dust collector that dropped the amount the airborne particulates into the single digits using a Dylos air meter (I can't remember the exact numbers).

A vortex 800 inline fan plopped directly on top of this merv 15 dust collector filter to draw air through the filter, it nestled in the top nicely. The square base on the filter made the whole thing free standing and it sucked some mother loving air dude.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I49Q84/ (can be found cheap on eBay)

https://wynnenv.com/products-page/woodworking-filters/13f230nano/ (230sq ft of Merv 15 filter media lol)

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 27, 2021

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Morbus posted:

Nah we've got lots of room to get worse. ACE2 binding isn't nearly as high as it could be. FCS bullshit is dialed way down from delta...nothing stopping it from going back up. God loving knows what m-m-m-monster kill wombo-recombo we're gonna get from the dozen or so animal reservoirs we've built up so far.

But yes, while the virus will continue to evolve, I suppose it's hard for society to give up any harder than it already has

yes, it has lots of room to get worse, and it will get worse. but this is the variant where we gave up. this is where we lost control of our measures. this is when we lost consciousness and we didn’t get back up. even as it gets worse, we can’t give up any harder.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
In this wave, loads of people who did everything they were told to do are going to get sick. Gonna be hard for them to keep caring.

Nevermind that most of the expert advice and guidelines are crap. I still marvel at the whole “mask required…to walk to your table, where you can take it off” thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zugzwang posted:

In this wave, loads of people who did everything they were told to do are going to get sick. Gonna be hard for them to keep caring.

Nevermind that most of the expert advice and guidelines are crap. I still marvel at the whole “mask required…to walk to your table, where you can take it off” thing.

They would have anyway because of waning immunity. Considering how low the number of boosted Americans are, I daresay that many, perhaps even most, who did in fact do literally everything they were told (since that would include boosters) are probably also actually taking masking seriously and will probably, unless they have the misfortune of having roommates/flatmates, be fine. Or maybe that's wishful thinking.

But remember; Omicron is just accelerating what would have happened anyway. There are probably some people who would have been fine from Delta who might get sick - most likely because of lingering miasma or sharing apartments - but by and large all the liberals who spent all year loving around and are about to find out are folks who would have had this happen to them anyway, maybe a month or two later, due to the waning efficacy from their vaccines. And yes, even the boosted.

I snuck my booster early so I don't recall, but didn't the boosters open up in September or early October? So even the boosted would have been or soon will be effectively unvaccinated against Delta if they hadn't snuck a 4th by now.

By and large all Omicron has done is make what would have played out slowly over the first few months of 2022 play out rapidly over the last few weeks of 2021 and first few weeks of 2022.

EDIT: And rendered MABs useless. But I'm talking about spread and hospital collapse and whatnot.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Coldrice how about a one player mode (or multiplayer solidarity mode) for the Covid simulator? I’m imagining some cross between the fragility of early levels in D&D, the challenge of an early NES game, and the catharsis of Liberal Crime Squad. Maybe cameos by like Monica Ghandi, our fave epidemiologists, and the Death Panel crew lmao

Edit: just essentially you control one of the little workers

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Sunny Side Up posted:

Coldrice how about a one player mode (or multiplayer solidarity mode) for the Covid simulator? I’m imagining some cross between the fragility of early levels in D&D, the challenge of an early NES game, and the catharsis of Liberal Crime Squad. Maybe cameos by like Monica Ghandi, our fave epidemiologists, and the Death Panel crew lmao

Edit: just essentially you control one of the little workers

Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode to the main game's fortress mode.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i read one player mode as you being the solitary character just wandering around empty levels

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zugzwang posted:

Finally starting to see chuds make fun of this, and rightly so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/siriusnerd/status/1475254777122476035

Shame about everyone else in the airport and on the plane.

https://twitter.com/siriusnerd/status/1475255348252626948

This isn’t how rapid tests work, you loving morons.

https://twitter.com/siriusnerd/status/1475256145745002500

loving blue MAGA.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

america will never fail never dfall never die. sorry losers

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Huffman[Reddit CEO] has calculated that, in the event of a disaster, he would seek out some form of community: “Being around other people is a good thing. I also have this somewhat egotistical view that I’m a pretty good leader. I will probably be in charge, or at least not a slave, when push comes to shove.”

someone, please, promise me that you'll do anything in your power to enslave this fucker right here when things do collapse. id help but am an ocean away and plan to not travel for the foreseeable future.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Don’t Look Up is CSPAM The Movie, including the sucking and loving

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/denise_dewald/status/1444988303078563840

lol that owns

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/zwood93/status/1474947018233720835

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Sunny Side Up posted:

the catharsis of Liberal Crime Squad

lmao so loving true. should do another playthrough one of these days

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kaMTqfHdPM

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Don’t Look Up is CSPAM The Movie, including the sucking and loving

I don't remember any sucking

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Airborne Infectious Disease Management: Methods for Temporary Negative Pressure Isolation

quote:

Large exhaust fans placed in the window can be used instead of HEPA filters if the air is exhausted 25 feet away from public access and air intakes.

Remind me not to go walking near any hospitals. And by “near” I mean “within fifteen kilometres”.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

walensky is still in march-april 2020 where a mask doesn't do anything and actually is counterproductive because you might mess with it which makes you more likely to touch your face

I'm mad about the messaging as per usual because she won't even say "Yes, N95s are good but they might be overkill and can be a little tougher to properly wear so we don't think everyone needs them" because that at least acknowledges their benefits. No, it's just acting like proper PPE is all downsides.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

So where do you actually buy legit good masks like 3m aura or n95s that aren't fake?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FateFree posted:

So where do you actually buy legit good masks like 3m aura or n95s that aren't fake?

You can get them at the painting tools aisle at Home Depot, near the sand paper and acetone.

The 9210 model is cheaper online and has better straps, if you can wait for shipping.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

FateFree posted:

Home Depot, and I see behealthyusa.net recommended on here a lot

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Don’t Look Up is extremely CSPAM friendly
The film expresses all the frustration of knowing there’s a catastrophe coming ahead of time and seeing the people in power, both conservatives and liberals, not take it seriously enough to prevent it until it’s too late.

Best comedy of the year.

Stay for the post-credits scene

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/KashPrime/status/1475171945083715595

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Flashback:

https://twitter.com/deejcane/status/1395521852672561153
https://twitter.com/deejcane/status/1395523316262264837

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

Airborne Infectious Disease Management: Methods for Temporary Negative Pressure Isolation

Remind me not to go walking near any hospitals. And by “near” I mean “within fifteen kilometres”.

pumping out the smell of burgers like burger king except it’s iodine and piss

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

If the government cared about kids they would have already approved the vaccine for 6 month to 2 year olds since that cohort didn't have the issue that the 2-4 year olds had with the shot being too small but of course we're making them all wait for reasons.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Re movie talk - it cost $100 to rent out a local theater for the opening matinee showing plus tickets.

if you know as many triple vaxxedmovie nerds who love respirators as much as I do - I’d say that’s a solution with minima risk.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Thoguh posted:

If the government cared about kids they would have already approved the vaccine for 6 month to 2 year olds since that cohort didn't have the issue that the 2-4 year olds had with the shot being too small but of course we're making them all wait for reasons.

This.

The only saving grace is that our baby got two Pfizer shots indirectly in vitro, but dunno how that would affect any additional shots either

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1417570700425039872

This #zeroTB policy is unsustainable.

We need to learn to live with the bacterium.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1417570700425039872

This #zeroTB policy is unsustainable.

We need to learn to live with the bacterium.

lol imagine trying to get the current-day CDC to admit that tuberculosis is airborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
is Death to 2021 any good?