Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

THE BAR posted:

You have a mod turned on, double check the launcher.

Thanks, it turned out the new launcher had turned on some mods that I had not used in years. I have not played since this particular launcher was introduced, so was kind of a new experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

blue squares posted:

Thanks for this post. I was worried my frequent posting might be obnoxious

your posts are literally the main reason why i lurk this thread once a week

edit: also the anbennar posts

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 27, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eordand is cool.

Winter Court is best court.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Venail is supposed to be a speed 5 rush to colonizing, right? There’s not anything else I should be doing very early game?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

skasion posted:

Venail is supposed to be a speed 5 rush to colonizing, right? There’s not anything else I should be doing very early game?

Nope. The first 50 years is straight colonize rushing then the next 20 or so until you finish the mission tree is spent kneecapping all the other colonizers as they spawn.

If you do it ~efficiently~ then by the time the Rianvisa starts you should have consolidated all of Noruin and have large gains in all the others.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

skasion posted:

There's keeping Lorent and their buddies off your rear end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Tried Jaddar. Gotta bring everyone under Surael's light.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tried Jaddar. Gotta bring everyone under Surael's light.

Hell yeah.

Minor hint if you're still early run: Do your best to constantly be cycling for heirs with all your massive prestige until you get a powerful mage elf. You'll need them later

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Torrannor posted:

Another source of information are the mission trees. Again, I looked at Austria in vanilla EUIV, and perhaps I don't own the correct DLC (Emperor perhaps?), but they had like three or four columns of generic missions, and one column of specifically Austrian missions. It's totally different in Anbennar.

I want to talk about this criticism cause it makes it sound as if EU4 devs are lazy.

I'm all for flavor in descriptions of stuff (though it would probably work much better with CK3-style tooltips that can differentiate between functional and flavourful text or even move it into a separate tooltip) but too important ideas and mission trees and events are something Paradox had moved away from. Earlier games like EU2 or Victoria 1 were very event-heavy, and events were very important. A valid criticism against EU4 is that it got rid of a lot of such things, but not enough. National ideas and missions do not react to the changing environment and are often silly. It's a valid path for Castille to try to become a European hegemon instead of going into colonies or to conquer North Africa - but its ideas send it into the New World. If, say, Corsica conquers Spain and becomes indistinguishable from it in terms of culture and religion - it will still not have those colonization bonuses or missions.

By mid-game when mission trees are mostly complete and the factions are established I'm getting to the meat of EU4. In Anbennar it's incomprehensible because I have to apply a lot of effort to know even basic things about the countries that surround me, not to mention all the cool lore and results of their missions. It's telling that to tell about those factions you need to use UI that is not accessible in the game itself. When I play as whoever and see a big Austria I might not know about some of their mission bonuses but those are relatively unimportant. I see their religion, important provinces their hold, government bonuses and so on. In Anbennar I can't see a race, their military type and most importantly I don't see all of their history and lore and bonuses, cause it's all told through events. Playing Anbennar made me realize why people love those HoI4 mods because HoI4 UI is actually good at showing all this stuff, giving you CYOA game on a big map. But it's a much shorter game and it doesn't try to give you that cool mid- and endgame of EU4. And by embracing this philosophy Anbennar loses mid- and endgame too. Not a problem if you don't like it anyway, but there are dozens of us who like those late game hegemonies while not being skilled enough to actually conquer the world by 1750!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

skasion posted:

venail
early
a: don't die to lorent. they start with an opinion buff towards you but sometimes they want your crappy island. i've found that if they're hostile then if you manage to push them over 100 relations they'll go back to neutral and they'll usually ally you
b: always reelect your starting ruler. he's guaranteed to have useful personalities for colonizing and keeping him around is realistically the only possible way to avoid the bad thing that happens
c: scam sorncost out of all of their stuff. sorncost has an event where you agree to sell your island to them in the future. always agree to it, the buff it gives is really good and even though they can theoretically declare war on you to seize it in like, 50 years, they basically never do because they're too busy getting owned by lorent(also when you actually leave lorent almost always just takes the island off of them immediately).
d: scam damescrown out of all of their money. improve relations with them to +100 so you can take the optional damescrown loan mission. they will just give you free money, among other things, for 100 years. by the time they ask you to pay them back you'll be 10 thousand miles away and a major naval power instead of being a three province minor, so you can just tell them to gently caress off. or you can pay them back because you have loads of cash by this point.
bonus: when you leave you take all of the development with you from your cannorian provinces. this isn't just your island, this is any cannorian province that you conquer. some guy had a screenshot where he conquered like everything west of Anbenncost and then packed it all up and hosed off. this is funny but not really useful.

colonization
a: snipe the lonely isle ASAP so that you can gently caress the gnomes and everyone else out of early colonization. the lonely isle counts as cannor for some reason so you're going to have to recolonize it after you move
b: snipe all of the other possible stepping stone islands and the stalwart outpost. this will gently caress everyone out of normal colonization for decades and you'll only have to deal with adventurer tags spawning
c: focus on the bloodgrove area since it's the one that the game makes you colonize before you can move. you want to move early so that you can stop caring about cannor or colonial nation mechanics.
d: even if nobody else can do proper colonizing, you still have to deal with adventurer tags. these are things like the Vanbury Guild: countries that spawn by event in aelantir and automatically colonize a province to be their capital. murder these whenever you see them. they almost always start with pathetic armies, AE doesn't matter since it only applies to other people in aelantir, and if you leave them alone they can become strong very quickly.
otherwise just check mission requirements and colonize to meet them

the bad thing
a: it's gonna show up right when you think things are really coming together
b: it's technically possible to avoid but it's difficult and you have to be lucky and the game becomes a lot more interesting if you don't
c: you're not supposed to, and can't, do anything for the first couple of years after it starts. it's fairly obvious when this changes
d: the unavoidable part is a lot worse than the avoidable parts so don't let them lure you into a false sense of security

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I’m currently having a blast playing as the train goblins, this is the most fun I’ve had with EU4 in a long time. I started out in Anbennar as one of the dwarf expeditions but the minute I bumped into the Victoria fans I pretty much had to abandon that run and restart as them. I think I got quite lucky, I hear it’s a difficult start but I haven’t had too much trouble and seem to have hit a tipping point where my army outclasses most things I fight.

The entirety of the southern continent seemed to have a crusade to kill my harpy friends (pretty much everyone was joined in against us) and they just rolled over the Harpies with no difficulty at all, but I was able to park my army in the fortified hold adjacent to the Harpies’ lake and just grind down everything they threw at me until ticking warscore from battles overcame the occupations, it felt great.

Are ogres locked in as persecuted? I took some provinces in the vale that have ogres in them, but they’re listed as oppressed and if I go to the racial tolerance decision they don’t appear as an option.

I’m thinking about my next run doing colonisation, I’m trying to avoid spoilers on the big secret, but when I do, is there any particular place I need to go to find it (e.g. the centre of the big circle or something), or is it just a matter of having colonies over there and the event fires eventually?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Are ogres locked in as persecuted? I took some provinces in the vale that have ogres in them, but they’re listed as oppressed and if I go to the racial tolerance decision they don’t appear as an option.

no, and they're in that menu if you scroll. however, increasing tolerance is a lot more difficult than reducing it. The menu mostly just lets you reduce it. If you want it to go up, you pretty much just have to wait for events that let you increase it. I don't think ogres actually have specific events for them yet, so you'll only be able to do it with the generic events for refugees and representation. So it's gonna take a while.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Thanks! I didn't realise you could scroll down the options in that event! I've designated them as a focus, hopefully that makes the generic events fire more frequently?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Thanks! I didn't realise you could scroll down the options in that event! I've designated them as a focus, hopefully that makes the generic events fire more frequently?

it does if they're one of the races which the focus mechanic has actually been coded for. some of them don't actually have that done yet so for them it doesn't really do anything(there's also a bug with like, orcs I think where you have to focus gnomes instead because someone swapped the IDs by accident)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I’m currently having a blast playing as the train goblins, this is the most fun I’ve had with EU4 in a long time. I started out in Anbennar as one of the dwarf expeditions but the minute I bumped into the Victoria fans I pretty much had to abandon that run and restart as them. I think I got quite lucky, I hear it’s a difficult start but I haven’t had too much trouble and seem to have hit a tipping point where my army outclasses most things I fight.

Railskulker isn't particularly hard once you pass the critical point and have control of most of the north. The real meat of the run is once you form Vez Udzenklan and it used to have a disaster called the Great Kinstrife but it's currently disabled because it was insane.

There's also a variant of Vez Udzenklan where if you form them with Spiderwretch you upgrade your giant spider cavalry with cannons.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 27, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rynoto posted:

it used to have a disaster called the Great Kinstrife but it's currently disabled because it was insane.

notably it was disabled by the same guy who brought you such disasters as:
your entire economy implodes overnight and you have to spend literal centuries of income to fix it
50k rebels per month in 1490
everyone in the entire dwarovar gets snake ebola and dies
half of your country gets automatically culture converted and ceded to another tag and you have to annex them to get it back

that guy thought the allclan disaster was unreasonable and disabled it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I do actually agree with most of the Serpentspine disasters, personally. You scale so ridiculously hard even with them all that you'll still easily be the most powerful nation and the optional ones give some pretty good buffs once you overcome them.

The Great Kinstrife was also interesting in idea and design but lol the millions of rebels was overkill. Walking the knifedge with their insane government seemed pretty appropriate as well considering the absolutely bonkers stuff you do to the serpenspine.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 27, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rynoto posted:

I do actually agree with most of the Serpentspine disasters, personally. You scale so ridiculously hard even with them all that you'll still easily be the most powerful nation and the optional ones give some pretty good buffs once you overcome them.

eh, yes and no.
on the one hand, yeah, if you really know what you're doing then you can overcome them and they end up as speedbumps on your road to unstoppable superpower status since all the dwarf countries scale to the point of insanity once they get rolling
on the other hand if you don't know what you're doing then once you finally manage to claw your way out of the extremely rough starts that most of those countries have your reward is the uncaring thumb of god reaching down from the heavens to unceremoniously squish you back into the dirt

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I decided to bring my Great Britain game to a close. I had colonies in the Americas (I successfully took all of Portugal's Caribbean and Mexican colonies, too), all down the West and South coasts of Africa, and several in Asia. It was quite fun, but managing such a far-flung empire is a bit of a pain, moving troops around with transports. I also found that the armies in the Indian Ocean islands I was colonizing/conquering to be much stronger than I expected, and very numerous.

I got a bit bored and tried to take advantage of Spain being in a war with France, and losing, to take Spain's colonies in South America. Well, Spain was smart to make a peace with France and then came for me, and due to my being overextended with troops scattered across my colonies, I got hosed up. I had an opportunity then, being at 10% warscore and colonies being very cheap, to end the war and take all of Spain's coastal colonies in Mexico, which would have been a great gain for my empire and I should have taken it, but I was about to land a 30k invasion force on Spain itself and thought perhaps I could leverage a better deal and take their inland colonies, too.

But alas, the tide turned when Portugal finished up their own war and together they retook all of my gains and wiped the floor with my invasion force.

I spent the whole game investing in expansion, exploration, and trade ideas, plus Quantity idea group and maybe 2 ideas in it.. My armies were infantry only, no artillery or cavalry. When I started going head to head with Spanish armies, both in America and Spain, I was obliterated in every battle, even when I outnumbered them by thousands. Clearly, I did not invest enough in my military quality and composition before deciding to hastily attack such a powerful foe.

Having played an Ottoman game and a Great Britain game, I do like the idea of expanding overseas and using colonies to power my economy, but I prefer my fighting to happen in a more centralized location so that I don't need to be sending troops on such long journeys (or getting them stuck places when superior naval forces mean I can't bring my transports in). I also hated dealing with the constant uprisings, and I spent many years moving troops around as quick as I could from one rebellion to another. Often this was after wars when my manpower was very low, so I had to use my existing troops rather than raise new ones nearby.

I'm still eager to play Anbennar but want to get more out of Vanilla first. Hopefully the mod doesn't break before I can play it!

This is now my most played game on Steam.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 27, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Reveilled posted:

The quickest way to increase tolerance is to find another country that is currently purging them and force them to stop in a peace deal.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

The quickest way to increase tolerance is to find another country that is currently purging them and force them to stop in a peace deal.

the thing that's gonna make it difficult is that the race in question is ogres
ogres are about an inch away from being extinct and only exist in 2 places at the start: the mossmouths in serpent's vale and the fathides in the forbidden plains. given that they have, I assume, conquered all the mossmouths themselves, the only way that anyone is going to be purging ogres is if the fathides fell to a united centaur horde over in the forbidden plains. declaring war on such a horde is an extremely bad idea

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you can get enough ogre land you can just accept them culturally which pushes them to coexisting immediately :shrug: Otherwise the chance of them leaving before you reach coexisting through event is quite low.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Funnily enough the Centaurs have absolutely crushed the ogres but are peacefully coexisting with each other so that's out. It looks like if I convert some of my provinces in the vale to Ogre I'll have enough to accept them, so that sounds like the plan!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lol I tried a Daimyo in Japan and got a game over after losing my first battle and then being conquered. I guess I shouldn't have been the first person in Japan to make a move.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

blue squares posted:

lol I tried a Daimyo in Japan and got a game over after losing my first battle and then being conquered. I guess I shouldn't have been the first person in Japan to make a move.

Japan is one of the best places to learn how to win tough wars, keep trying. Don't be afraid to take loans or go over your force limit.

Also, as a small country make sure to always put your capital on defensive edict, it makes a huge difference if you are siege racing someone.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Y'know what, that big Anbennar intro post the other day did it for me. My next game will be in that realm! No idea who I will play as for my first game, but I am really looking forward to it. I only hope I don't find myself unable to go back to vanilla because there are still things there I want to explore, too.

edit: this is an extremely overwhelming setting! There is even a 34 page powerpoint introduction to everything lol https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1GG9JVVG4zsng45dsy7OsclfkgJIuJPLV/edit#slide=id.p7

I like fantasy but this is a LOT... I dunno if I have it in me to wrap my head around this mod.

Also the better UI mod doesn't work with Anbennar so I can barely read the text on a 1440p monitor.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 27, 2021

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The write up was really good but if you want a game that’s very similar to Europe while you get your bearings then there’s some options to hop in and watch stuff unfold. I played Verne for my first game and I think it’s a great option with a lot of flexibility - a bit like Portugal, but better because you don’t have Spain blocking you from continental expansion. Also wyvern riders.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Going to second Verne as a great learner faction for Anbennar.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

blue squares posted:

I decided to bring my Great Britain game to a close. I had colonies in the Americas (I successfully took all of Portugal's Caribbean and Mexican colonies, too), all down the West and South coasts of Africa, and several in Asia. It was quite fun, but managing such a far-flung empire is a bit of a pain, moving troops around with transports. I also found that the armies in the Indian Ocean islands I was colonizing/conquering to be much stronger than I expected, and very numerous.

I got a bit bored and tried to take advantage of Spain being in a war with France, and losing, to take Spain's colonies in South America. Well, Spain was smart to make a peace with France and then came for me, and due to my being overextended with troops scattered across my colonies, I got hosed up. I had an opportunity then, being at 10% warscore and colonies being very cheap, to end the war and take all of Spain's coastal colonies in Mexico, which would have been a great gain for my empire and I should have taken it, but I was about to land a 30k invasion force on Spain itself and thought perhaps I could leverage a better deal and take their inland colonies, too.

But alas, the tide turned when Portugal finished up their own war and together they retook all of my gains and wiped the floor with my invasion force.

I spent the whole game investing in expansion, exploration, and trade ideas, plus Quantity idea group and maybe 2 ideas in it.. My armies were infantry only, no artillery or cavalry. When I started going head to head with Spanish armies, both in America and Spain, I was obliterated in every battle, even when I outnumbered them by thousands. Clearly, I did not invest enough in my military quality and composition before deciding to hastily attack such a powerful foe.

Having played an Ottoman game and a Great Britain game, I do like the idea of expanding overseas and using colonies to power my economy, but I prefer my fighting to happen in a more centralized location so that I don't need to be sending troops on such long journeys (or getting them stuck places when superior naval forces mean I can't bring my transports in). I also hated dealing with the constant uprisings, and I spent many years moving troops around as quick as I could from one rebellion to another. Often this was after wars when my manpower was very low, so I had to use my existing troops rather than raise new ones nearby.

I'm still eager to play Anbennar but want to get more out of Vanilla first. Hopefully the mod doesn't break before I can play it!

This is now my most played game on Steam.

A couple notes: When you finish both Exploration and Expansion idea sets you get a policy that reduces native uprisings by 50%, at which point you can change your colonial setting to the one that also gives you 50%, effectively ending the need to micromanage natives. Before you attack someone dangerous, get a look at their army size and stats in the ledger. Castile/Spain gets a huge bonus to morale which is hard to overcome without some significant advantages of your own. Almost every country ought to take a military idea in their first three sets. As far as army composition goes, it's usually the most cost effective to run all infantry (plus a few artillery for sieges) prior to tech 13 but England is rich enough to splurge on some cav. Once you have tech 13 you need to start running artillery, ideally a full combat with if you can afford it. Which brings us to combat width aka the reason it is easy to lose battles with a numerical advantage. At tech 11 for example, combat width is 27 meaning you can only deploy 27 regiments of inf or cavalry to the front line with any extra held in reserve. Reserve units don't do anything until space opens for them but they will still take morale damage.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Prop Wash posted:

The write up was really good but if you want a game that’s very similar to Europe while you get your bearings then there’s some options to hop in and watch stuff unfold. I played Verne for my first game and I think it’s a great option with a lot of flexibility - a bit like Portugal, but better because you don’t have Spain blocking you from continental expansion. Also wyvern riders.

Yeah a larger nation in or near the not!HRE is definitely the way to go, with Verne having loads of flexibility. The main dangers in that part of the world are the same as being in the HRE in Vanilla, namely that taking one (1) province runs you a decent risk of getting body slammed by Renaissance NATO, and the mid-game thunderdome of the religious wars. There are a couple of nations in the region with unique mechanics (Asheniande and Corvuria with the Vampires estate, for example), but mostly everything is pretty baseline for fantasy Europe.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah I had a shitton of money and just completely forgot about artillery. I ran in with zero and it’s probably why I lost!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Quorum posted:

Yeah a larger nation in or near the not!HRE is definitely the way to go, with Verne having loads of flexibility. The main dangers in that part of the world are the same as being in the HRE in Vanilla, namely that taking one (1) province runs you a decent risk of getting body slammed by Renaissance NATO, and the mid-game thunderdome of the religious wars. There are a couple of nations in the region with unique mechanics (Asheniande and Corvuria with the Vampires estate, for example), but mostly everything is pretty baseline for fantasy Europe.

the human, halfling and elven nations in this area are all pretty much just a fantasy version of their vanilla equivalents, yes, with the most confusing thing that could happen to you being picking an elven nation and then wondering why your manpower kind of sucks

it is worth noting, however, that this area also contains some super weird countries that you should probably come back to later
these are:
the various countries with names ending in -scale are all kobolds. kobolds count as monstrous and have some of the worst militaries in the universe, don't play these
portnamm and nimscodd are gnomes. gnomes aren't that weird once you get rolling but they have really bad starting positions and their mission trees require them to conquer a lot of stuff
silverforge and rubyhold are both dwarves, they have weird mechanics and you will probably get owned if you don't know how to exploit them
venail are elves and if you ignore their mission tree they're completely normal, but their mission tree has them form aelnar which is kind of a special case and not a simple thing to do

anyone else should be pretty straightforward

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

blue squares posted:

Y'know what, that big Anbennar intro post the other day did it for me. My next game will be in that realm! No idea who I will play as for my first game, but I am really looking forward to it. I only hope I don't find myself unable to go back to vanilla because there are still things there I want to explore, too.

edit: this is an extremely overwhelming setting! There is even a 34 page powerpoint introduction to everything lol https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1GG9JVVG4zsng45dsy7OsclfkgJIuJPLV/edit#slide=id.p7

I like fantasy but this is a LOT... I dunno if I have it in me to wrap my head around this mod.

Also the better UI mod doesn't work with Anbennar so I can barely read the text on a 1440p monitor.

I'm glad that my write-up made you try out Anbennar sooner :)

Just pick a nation and play it for a while. Events will flesh out the setting more, and if you're curious about why a specific neighbor is suddenly a whole other nation, quickly start as them to see what happened.

Prop Wash posted:

I wasn't showcasing Eordand to suggest new players should start there, I chose that region because it was really self-contained. If I had chosen Anbennar or a surrounding region, the write-up would have been like ten times as long to do them justice. The Day of Ashen Skies is a background event for the whole world, but in Cannor I would have had to write about the War of the Sorcerer King, the Landing, Jexis Phoenix Empire conquering half the place, the Lilac Wars, the Greentide, and so on. How the Magisterium basically founded the Empire of Anbennar, what was up with the Gnomish Hierarchy, what's up with the Venail elves in stark contrast to the Ibevar elves for example, why the non-human races all have their own electors, why the dwarves are living in Anbennar in the first place, etc. Gnolls invented slavery, tigers can ascend into tiger people, orcs could change skin color to match their environments, but can't with the death of Dookanson, some moon elves got lost in the Deepwoods and emerged a hundred years later as wood elves, while for them several hundred years passed. And so on. I don't recommend starting in Eordand, you will quickly fall behind in technology because no intervention will spawn in Aelantir, nearly all of them will spawn in Western Cannor.

ilitarist posted:

I want to talk about this criticism cause it makes it sound as if EU4 devs are lazy.

I'm all for flavor in descriptions of stuff (though it would probably work much better with CK3-style tooltips that can differentiate between functional and flavourful text or even move it into a separate tooltip) but too important ideas and mission trees and events are something Paradox had moved away from. Earlier games like EU2 or Victoria 1 were very event-heavy, and events were very important. A valid criticism against EU4 is that it got rid of a lot of such things, but not enough. National ideas and missions do not react to the changing environment and are often silly. It's a valid path for Castille to try to become a European hegemon instead of going into colonies or to conquer North Africa - but its ideas send it into the New World. If, say, Corsica conquers Spain and becomes indistinguishable from it in terms of culture and religion - it will still not have those colonization bonuses or missions.

By mid-game when mission trees are mostly complete and the factions are established I'm getting to the meat of EU4. In Anbennar it's incomprehensible because I have to apply a lot of effort to know even basic things about the countries that surround me, not to mention all the cool lore and results of their missions. It's telling that to tell about those factions you need to use UI that is not accessible in the game itself. When I play as whoever and see a big Austria I might not know about some of their mission bonuses but those are relatively unimportant. I see their religion, important provinces their hold, government bonuses and so on. In Anbennar I can't see a race, their military type and most importantly I don't see all of their history and lore and bonuses, cause it's all told through events. Playing Anbennar made me realize why people love those HoI4 mods because HoI4 UI is actually good at showing all this stuff, giving you CYOA game on a big map. But it's a much shorter game and it doesn't try to give you that cool mid- and endgame of EU4. And by embracing this philosophy Anbennar loses mid- and endgame too. Not a problem if you don't like it anyway, but there are dozens of us who like those late game hegemonies while not being skilled enough to actually conquer the world by 1750!

I have to agree that it's far from ideal to not being able to look up other nation's national ideas, except through an UI that's only accessible when you choose your nation at game start (or by having a wiki open I suppose). And that I can't see other nation's mission tree unless they are my vassal, at which point it mostly doesn't matter anymore. Not like that is necessarily a fault of the EUIV devs. Anbennar's national ideas mostly don't seem to be any more powerful than their vanilla counterparts, so apart from revealing lore tidbits, there's little need for an UI element that reveals other countries national ideas to the player. And there are obviously easier ways to learn about Savoy for example if you're interested than looking up their national ideas in EUIV.

And I can see why they went away from the hyper specific mission trees of the earlier games. That college professor who wrote articles about EUIV and Victoria 2 mentioned them, too (https://acoup.blog/category/collections/teaching-paradox/). But they obviously really help in fleshing out the fantasy setting. And they are imho not too deterministic then speaking from a game balance perspective. Sometimes the harpies take over most of Bulwar, and sometimes Irrliam wipes them out when they reform the Phoenix Empire. I've seen the Silmunas regain the Dove Throne, the sil-Wexes retain their position, or even other like the Siluriels becoming Emperors of Anbennar. One game I saw the AI reform Er-Nativir, in many other the goblins claimed most of the Serpentspine. It's still cool emergent storytelling, even if it is more railroaded than vanilla EUIV. That said, many of the nation-unique mission mostly only push you into certain directions without offering up too much of a reward. And in the same vein, it wouldn't have hurt for the devs to make more unique missions for the various vanilla nations. Those wouldn't have needed to push you too far into certain directions, and their rewards could likewise have been relatively modest. It would still imho be more atmospheric than what I saw.

But if you mainly value EUIV for the ability to shape history like you see fit, then I understand why you would dislike Anbennar's system. And that you can't easily tell more about an ascending neighboring nation without quitting out of your game is a real problem, but one the Anbennar devs themselves probably can't solve.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wait, you can play as harpies? That tickles my interest.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the first one i did was frostmaw and it was cool. i don't think it gets wacky crazy strong like some others but it felt like it was using every available mechanic to unfold a story, which really cemented anbennar to me as being, a Good Mod

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Try Asheniande, infect the Empire with Vampires.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Torrannor posted:

But if you mainly value EUIV for the ability to shape history like you see fit, then I understand why you would dislike Anbennar's system. And that you can't easily tell more about an ascending neighboring nation without quitting out of your game is a real problem, but one the Anbennar devs themselves probably can't solve.

I don't want it sound like I blame EU4 devs for not making the UI that would support that style of game, or that Anbennar devs do something wrong. In fact, I applaud Anbennar devs in their restraint. Most mods try to add a lot of mechanics while Anbennar only adds magic (that you can ignore for the most part), artificers and... that's about it? Everything else in the game is renamed base game mechanic or an event/decision, or relatively well-integrated diplomatic action like spreading Vampirism.

The point I'm making is that when you read people's reactions you might think that aside from not being historical Anbennar is just a more thoughtful version of vanilla the same way people speak of Kaiserreich for HoI4. The fact that on the surface it plays very similarly only empowers that feel. But it has a different philosophy. I'd say it's a perfect mod for people who don't care for EU4 after the first 100 years.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Poil posted:

Wait, you can play as harpies? That tickles my interest.
Harpylen is the only one with missions, though Jaddari has a lot of interaction with a harpy ally/eventual vassal through its mission tree. Unfortunately said ally has no real content of its own. Other harpy nations exist but are generic.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 27, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Harpylen is the only one with missions, though Jaddari has a lot of interaction with a harpy ally/eventual vassal through its mission tree. Unfortunately said ally has no real content of its own. Other harpy nations exist but are generic.

harpylen is also rather old so the tree is fairly basic, the mere fact that you are a harpy also makes all your neighbours hate you (and the harpy mechanics kinda encourage that hate as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

ilitarist posted:

I'd say it's a perfect mod for people who don't care for EU4 after the first 100 years.

Its the exact opposite though. There being actual mission trees and formable goals that take more than 100 years gives you reasons to keep playing other than trying another WC.

Edit:
Oh, I think I misread what you wrote and I'm actually agreeing with you.

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 27, 2021