Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

We bought this one for Ritz last year, it's definitely in the $400 camp, but I figure if it lasts 10 years like his first one did it's a win. 5/8" spacing though, I was a little nervous about it at first but he doesn't even come close to being able to fit his noggin through.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aande-cage-company-32-x-23-play-top-bird-cage-in-white-1544551

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

GotLag posted:

Biscuit!

This adventurous little scamp successfully ate from my hand last night! Still amazed at how it's this advanced at such a young age, all its siblings are progressing at about the rate I'd expect but Biscuit is months ahead despite being the same physical age.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

What Immaculate Borbin's. :kimchi:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

these appear to be borbs

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I may have mentioned this already, but whenever I see these two, I always think of Morpheus offering Neo the two pills.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I may have mentioned this already, but whenever I see these two, I always think of Morpheus offering Neo the two pills.

same size. about to go turn on their lights, i love every morning :-)

i’m pretty lucky with them at night. grace is a bit of a rascal but alex… all i have to do is dim the lights and he does his nighttime ritual (drink, stretch, poop) before going into his cage and house entirely on his own

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Alex pondering his borb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Home from work early because of Christmas eve, the boys are thrilled, and Sera is sometimes a more enthusiastic than skilled singer.

https://youtu.be/ruhsHb65QBU

He knows several songs, and is particularly fond of combining "if you're happy and you know it" and "the Addams family" into one song. But no, too happy, just squeak a bunch at my feet.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
So one of the stocking fillers this christmas was a beeping keyring locator. The keys are hung on hooks above the parrot cage, and it took my green cheek conure roughly 5 minutes to realise he can trigger it. He's been holding a 2-way conversation with it for the past hour.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Soylent Yellow posted:

So one of the stocking fillers this christmas was a beeping keyring locator. The keys are hung on hooks above the parrot cage, and it took my green cheek conure roughly 5 minutes to realise he can trigger it. He's been holding a 2-way conversation with it for the past hour.

oh my god :lol:

also, Alex and Grace are perfect and Sera is such a rake :allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

We bought this one for Ritz last year, it's definitely in the $400 camp, but I figure if it lasts 10 years like his first one did it's a win. 5/8" spacing though, I was a little nervous about it at first but he doesn't even come close to being able to fit his noggin through.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aande-cage-company-32-x-23-play-top-bird-cage-in-white-1544551

Also also, even aside from price (and I need to buy two!) this cage is too big for the amount of space I have in my home :( But I found an acceptable candidate for Bird bird cages by using this link as a starting point. Thank you!!! Happy holiday! 💚

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My mother gave me a set of crow-themed tarot cards.

Thought the thread might appreciate them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

those are pretty gorg

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Fool needs a dunce cap imo but those are awesome

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those are super rad

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This Christmas I visited about 40 magpies over the course of the day and went through over a kilogram of special festive magpie mix (insectivore mix, lean beef, 5% grated cheese as a treat).

A lovely time was had by all

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

GotLag posted:

This Christmas I visited about 40 magpies over the course of the day and went through over a kilogram of special festive magpie mix (insectivore mix, lean beef, 5% grated cheese as a treat).

A lovely time was had by all

They have trained you very well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

theHUNGERian posted:

They have trained you very well.

No, the two magpies who own the territory around my house have trained me well. They turn up in the morning and sing and I come out and feed them.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
GUYS

On Christmas morning I found this little chewed up fuzzy piece of bubble gum on the floor of a cage containing what I THOUGHT were two zebra finch hens. He was cold to the touch, so I warmed him up in my hand (during which time he stood and presented for feeding) and returned him to the wicker nest with the clutch of unhatched eggs that are customarily in residence. Last night I poked him a little while the parents were out of the nest and he moved only after I bugged him... Kind of a lot. This morning he was still warm and he had repositioned in the nest, but I decided not to antagonize him just to satisfy my anxiety so I didn't confirm that he's still moving. They also seem to have stuffed some of the nest lining (scraps of paper towels that I give them) over him- whether to bury or to insulate him I have no idea...

I am trying to keep faith that these first time parents just accidentally pushed the little fiy out of the nest and haven't truely rejected him, but I am worried sick for this chick and have no idea what the threshold of neglect is where I should be trying to embark on the extremely risky venture of hand-rearing. gently caress, sorry, this is just a stream of consciousness. I'm kinda freaking out a little 🥺 Does anyone have a connection with somebody who has genuine experience in finch husbandry?

Eikre fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 26, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eikre posted:

GUYS

On Christmas morning I found this little chewed up fuzzy piece of bubble gum on the floor of a cage containing what I THOUGHT were two zebra finch hens. He was cold to the touch, so I warmed him up in my hand (during which time he stood and presented for feeding) and returned him to the wicker nest with the clutch of unhatched eggs that are customarily in residence. Last night I poked him a little while the parents were out of the nest and he moved only after I bugged him... Kind of a lot. This morning he was still warm and he had repositioned in the nest, but I decided not to antagonize him just to satisfy my anxiety so I didn't confirm that he's still moving. They also seem to have stuffed some of the nest lining (scraps of paper towels that I give them) over him- whether to bury or to insulate him I have no idea...

I am trying to keep faith that these first time parents just accidentally pushed the little fiy out of the nest and haven't truely rejected him, but I am worried sick for this chick and have no idea what the threshold of neglect is where I should be trying to embark on the extremely risky venture of hand-rearing. gently caress, sorry, this is just a stream of consciousness. I'm kinda freaking out a little 🥺 Does anyone have a connection with somebody who has genuine experience in finch husbandry?

i'm sorry that i can't help you, but i think the terms that might help you search are "hand-rearing" with respect to finches

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i'm sorry that i can't help you, but i think the terms that might help you search are "hand-rearing" with respect to finches

Yeah, this would be the term to look for. You're probably going to need some baby bird formula and an oral syringe.

Good luck. They're probably pretty weak if no one's feeding them, because baby birds in general have incredibly fast metabolisms and need to eat a lot, but they may have a chance if you can get food into them soon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Eikre posted:

GUYS

check pm

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboRodent posted:

There's something very :darksouls: about these.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

guys guard bird wants everyone to know that there’s snow, that it’s worthy of alarm, but that’s he’s on the job and keeping us safe

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

guys guard bird wants everyone to know that there’s snow, that it’s worthy of alarm, but that’s he’s on the job and keeping us safe

What a brave boy. :kimchi:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's something very :darksouls: about these.

Yeah, I can see it. I guarantee my mother has never heard of dark souls, though I did accidentally convince her to try Stardew Valley. This is apparently her first experience with WASD controls, but she's struggling through this to plant her parsnips anyway.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

important red birb update: he got a christmas present
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71s05nuh6I

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

I feel safer in a world with such Watchful Guardians.

Serra got an extra Nutriberry for two days in a row thanks to the holidays.

Today, she hit 140g.

:stare:

Vet tells me anything within a couple grams of her "normal" is acceptable, and her average has been 137-139 for the better part of a year. But I have a 140g cockatiel that can fly from room to room with two clipped feathers on each wing.

Did someone trick me at the store and sell me a cockatoo?

Here, have a picture of her after deciding to fly around and screm. Is she some sort of giant?!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

She's a big beautiful lady!

Ozzy had a tantrum for a couple hours that was solved by taking him into the bathroom, whereupon he sat on my head and preened me for a while. He felt cuddly, but cuddles can only happen in the bathroom.

This is very stupid, but maybe it's a step forward.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Have you ever asked yourself, "Can a Big Borb Fly?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpANerSWx4Q

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It's been really snowy and cold here in the PNW, and I started putting out a plate of crumbled up crackers mixed with peanut butter (I know not the best for them but it's a vehicle for the peanut butter until I can some proper seeds.) The little black capped chickadees are fine and have been digging in, but the crows have been suspect. If I'm nearby they'll leave. The crows KNOW it's there, and they pace around on my railing trying to figure out how safe it is when I'm nearby. When I left and did some errands yesterday they totally cleaned it out and there were a bunch of crow footprints in the snow around the plate when I got back. I guess this will be a trust building excercise!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Have you ever asked yourself, "Can a Big Borb Fly?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpANerSWx4Q

My birds are in bed, because it's dark by 4 and they insist, but they started calling back to Serra, for the record.

mikerock posted:

It's been really snowy and cold here in the PNW, and I started putting out a plate of crumbled up crackers mixed with peanut butter (I know not the best for them but it's a vehicle for the peanut butter until I can some proper seeds.) The little black capped chickadees are fine and have been digging in, but the crows have been suspect. If I'm nearby they'll leave. The crows KNOW it's there, and they pace around on my railing trying to figure out how safe it is when I'm nearby. When I left and did some errands yesterday they totally cleaned it out and there were a bunch of crow footprints in the snow around the plate when I got back. I guess this will be a trust building excercise!

Crows are too smart to be trusting, I guess.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Hoping that if I consistently leave food for them out and don't attack any of them they'll grow less wary of me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Crows have made me realise just how approachable and friendly Australian magpies are

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, i did witness a mailman throw something down on the ground, whereupon three big crows who'd been watching swooped down to eat. I'm guessing they knew him and were waiting for him. They'll learn. They're just cautious.

It was -30 C here today, and it's been so cold for so long, but I also saw a crow hanging on the edge of a roof... Eating snow? Just knocking it off onto the ground because that was entertaining? I'm not sure.

I also saw a northern flicker lady hunkered down near a feeder. All the birds i have seen lately are extremely fluffy and round while they keep warm.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's been about 35°C the last few days and all the Fat Pigeons that hang around have been looking really svelte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
https://i.imgur.com/NO6Aaxo.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/lBmnnTQ.mp4