Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It would be interesting if the different L-cluster options were weighted based on total galactic fleet power.

Low = empty or dessanu, middle = drakes, high = tempest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That would be weird given the L-Cluster is decided at Game start and the setup in lore is the matter of the Nanites was long ago-you're just opening it, like opening up the vault on Tomb Worlds cn have mutant, be empty or have a civ in there. It's be like if what happened in the vault was based on your population on the planet when you open it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Bloodly posted:

That would be weird given the L-Cluster is decided at Game start and the setup in lore is the matter of the Nanites was long ago-you're just opening it, like opening up the vault on Tomb Worlds cn have mutant, be empty or have a civ in there. It's be like if what happened in the vault was based on your population on the planet when you open it.

Sure, but what does it matter if it's behind the curtain?

The chances of discovering an anomaly or archeological site depend on how long it's been since you last discovered one, and those theoretically exist or don't.
Lots of things have mechanics to suit gameplay rather than simulation.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bloodly posted:

Nothing stopping the actual strength of whatever comes out from changing based on the game state, which is really what’s being called for. What’s there when you open it can still be determined as is

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Tomn posted:

Is this a terminology issue? As far as I'm aware the vast majority of people use "bug" to refer to "broken coding," not "game design flaw" or "balancing issue." Like, a typo that breaks localization and causes an event to not fire is a bug. A building giving ten times the resources it's supposed to because someone added an extra zero is a bug. The game crashing every time you order a juggernaut to dock as a station is a bug. But "the Khan is too powerful and conquers the entire galaxy every time he shows up" isn't a bug, it's a balance issue. It's a serious balance issue, and a major problem, but it isn't something actively going wrong with the code, it's the code doing exactly what the programmers intended it to do without any hiccups. The issue there isn't the coding, but the unintended effects of what the devs set down on gameplay. Thus, not a bug - unless the reason the Khan is so powerful is because the programmers accidentally gave him five times the fleets they intended to.
You're right this is a semantics question. I don't know how game developers or players specifically refer to things, but basically every professional and hobby programming community I've been in uses the term "bug" much more generically to refer to any sort of problem. The reasons are fairly straightforward:

- it can be hard to determine if the problem is code doing the wrong thing or code doing the "intended" thing
- work to fix design problems is generally tracked in the same place, ie the "bug tracker"

So both design changes and new needed features are thus "bugs", and even social things like how to organize a team or grant access rights to a specific developer are sometimes "bugs".

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
But perhaps more importantly, "it's not a bug, it's" Is generally used to shut down discussion about something, either in the bug reporting forum or general chats, and that's often a user-hostile move when there's still an actual problem to address (whether via design or code or changes to user behavior)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodly posted:

At present it's a random roll rolled when you actually open the vault, so if you look "behind the scenes" for immersion it's even weirder than basing it on population size.

Atopian posted:

Sure, but what does it matter if it's behind the curtain?
If the method of determining which is which can be manipulated by the player using in-game tools then it's an incomplete curtain, and if the method of manipulation doesn't line up thematically then it can feel kind of weird once you know how to exploit it. To use the example above, "If I open the vault before 2250 then I'll get the 'people alive' ending" is a different gamefeel to "If I open the vault with less than 20 pops I'll get the 'people alive' ending" is a different gamefeel to "It's random so I can open it now for the possible pops or open it later when I have defences for the mutant monsters and which is the 'right' call is entirely down to the roll of a dice rendering all my deliberations meaningless".

Libluini posted:

If a game allows settings that just immediately remove all your opponents, that's a bug.
I mean, there's literal actual settings to remove all opponents. You can start a game with empires, marauders, L-Cluster etc all turned off and just noodle around exploring. That's not a bug or a design flaw, it's an active choice by the player sliding all them to 0.

Which is the "issue". The settings are to manipulate the game to the players' preferences. If you put too many hidden knock-on changes behind adjusting the research slider then you might get in the way of what the player was trying to do in the first place. What if you're increasing research speed because you want the L-Gates to open early and get you some cool things/spew out horrible death as early as possible followed by kerbstomping the end game crisis with your hundreds of repeatable techs? There really is no practical way to balance the game for every possible combo of settings without taking away the flexibility that having those settings is supposed to grant you in the first place.

That said, the settings screen UI/UX isn't exactly great in that there's a lot of "weird" settings (research speed, available planets) which have non-obvious knock-on effects, and they're presented with the same availability as much more mundane settings (Galaxy size, number of opponents). The usual solution is to have a few preset alternate game start setups that can be assumed to work fine (unmodded), with the fine grain weird stuff hidden behind an advanced "mess with at your own risk" screen, but this game doesn't have that. It should though.

The fact there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the L-Gates to account for your other custom settings also seems like an oversight. I'm guessing their reasoning is that if you have the research to open them you have the economy to fight them, but that's not necessarily the case. Changing the L-Cluster toggle to a slider which goes Off -> 5 Clues -> 7 Clues -> 9 Clues etc might be a good idea.

Personally I'd like it if there were two L-Clusters. The first gate you open hooks everything to L-Cluster goodtimes, but when an empire hits a second, higher insight threshold they can discover this was built on top of an even older system and do you want to re-point this gate and a random selection of other L-Gates back to L-Cluster lolgetfucked?

Also you have now encountered one, maybe two empires utterly destroyed by screwing around with nanites are you sure you want to keep screwing around with nanites?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vizuyos posted:

Hey, it's always possible that they could scale some event-spawned stuff to the actual strength of empires in the galaxy, so that the game isn't reliant on you manually triggering the event at exactly the right point in the game for it to be challenging but not overwhelming.

That's especially true for the L-Gates, which are meant to be a mystery box that the player will know nothing about the first time they open them, but is very obviously valuable and worth exploring in a game where exploration and investigation is almost always rewarding.
Eh, the devil's in the details for this kind of thing. Do you factor in badboy civic empires as positives or negatives toward galaxy readiness? What if they're a player? Do you treat a unified galaxy as the same readiness as dozens of bickering states, and if not do you try to account for weird gimmicks like keeping a few token contained enemies to lower the unification score?

e: which is not me saying "Scaling? *scoff*", just that seemingly simple fixes can have weird knock on effects.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 26, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I love L-Cluster style things and wish the game had way more of them.

They're a way to have exploration past midgame and thats great.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I love L-Cluster style things and wish the game had way more of them.

They're a way to have exploration past midgame and thats great.
I'd love to see different clusters connected only via wormholes for that reason.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
it seems like the L-cluster fuckery would solve itself if there was a non-modded slider for midgame event strength.

it shouldn't be PDox's job to ensure every combination of settings will result in a fun time, but they should definitely us the option to tune it up or down after steamrolling it or getting steamrolled. i'm sure there are plenty of scenarios where someone (or several someones in a multiplayer scenario) could handle, and would want the challenge of tackling, an early Grey Tempest.

Options are cool and good.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I just want a game option for the L-Cluster of "random, empty, tempest" where having it at random leaves it as is, having it set to empty makes it always empty, and then setting it to tempest makes it always tempest.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Haven't played in nearly a year, felt like dusting the game off again. Started up a new vanilla game since I haven't bothered to see if the 80+ mods I had before are still functional with Nemesis.

Helped the time-bubble planet, turns out it's the Prikkiki-ti who proceed to build up a massive clusterfuck of corvettes and take over my fledgling empire within about 15 minutes of real time playing on Fastest speed.

I missed you, Stellaris.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
stellaris has this new game breaking bug recently where i launch the game, start setting up the map, and immediately lose interest and alt f4

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Scaling mid-game lowercase-c crises is probably doable, but in the context of knock-on effects it should be mentioned that even the capital-C Crisis scaling is, AFAIK, an extremely blunt instrument that only kinda works because it applies to the Last and Ultimate Threat. I created the structure and reveal mechanics for the L-cluster, but a colleague made the gray goo so I don't have any unique insight there.

Anyway, I've handed in my notice and my last contribution to Stellaris is some (probably buggy) refactoring of truly ancient script, to be included in a future patch so please look forward to that. (As for the other project I was working on, I don't expect whatever fingerprints I leave behind to be identifiable by the time it is revealed to the public. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be a good game!)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

LordMune posted:

Scaling mid-game lowercase-c crises is probably doable, but in the context of knock-on effects it should be mentioned that even the capital-C Crisis scaling is, AFAIK, an extremely blunt instrument that only kinda works because it applies to the Last and Ultimate Threat. I created the structure and reveal mechanics for the L-cluster, but a colleague made the gray goo so I don't have any unique insight there.

Anyway, I've handed in my notice and my last contribution to Stellaris is some (probably buggy) refactoring of truly ancient script, to be included in a future patch so please look forward to that. (As for the other project I was working on, I don't expect whatever fingerprints I leave behind to be identifiable by the time it is revealed to the public. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be a good game!)

Nice work, and congrats on your next career move! You'll have to let us know whatever it is you move on to.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Haven't played in nearly a year, felt like dusting the game off again. Started up a new vanilla game since I haven't bothered to see if the 80+ mods I had before are still functional with Nemesis.

Helped the time-bubble planet, turns out it's the Prikkiki-ti who proceed to build up a massive clusterfuck of corvettes and take over my fledgling empire within about 15 minutes of real time playing on Fastest speed.

I missed you, Stellaris.

Never crack this particular egg! Some of the stuff others left behind in the galaxy was for good reason, not all of it is macabre apocalyptic experiments ~

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I ways free the Prikki-ti (after careful preparation) because I enjoy the incoming shitstorm.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

LordMune posted:

Good luck wherever you go next!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

Good luck wherever!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

LordMune posted:

Have fun wherever you're off to, and do let us know what it is when you can. Thanks for all the chit-chat around here - it's always lovely to have devs in the thread, and you helped make (imo) a really great game.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

LordMune posted:

Good luck, and throw a suggestion to one of the devs to come post here before you go

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

LordMune posted:

Good luck with your future prospects!

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

LordMune posted:

Best of luck LordMune in your future endeavors!

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
First time I got the Prikki-ti, they were in a dead-end system, so I just walled them off with a fortress and sprawled on. Then I kind of forgot about them.
Ended up keeping their system as a pet until endgame.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hi guys, I haven’t played in like three years. In the current meta, what would be a good setup for a puppet master race that uses vassals to grow in power?

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 27, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ShadowHawk posted:

But perhaps more importantly, "it's not a bug, it's" Is generally used to shut down discussion about something, either in the bug reporting forum or general chats, and that's often a user-hostile move when there's still an actual problem to address (whether via design or code or changes to user behavior)

The L-Gates working the way they do isn't a bug or a problem and quite frankly being hostile to Libluini in particular could only be to Paradox's advantage.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Tarquinn posted:

Hi guys, I haven’t played in like three years. In the current meta, what would be a good setup for a puppet master race that uses vassals to grow in power?

Note that vassals generally aren't a good way to do anything because they aren't reliable, but...

There technically is a build I came up with that utilizes vassals very well. I call it the militaires sans frontières build.

Basically it's a military megacorp build that gets as many subsidiaries as possible to build the +10 fleet cap building on to have a massive fleet.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone! It's not a secret that I'll be the lead content designer for Untitled Dune survival game at Funcom starting in late January. Still plenty of unknowns there, not to mention a completely different genre, but I think I've learned some broadly applicable lessons from Stellaris, CK3, and [unannounced].

I actually feel pretty good about leaving PDS now, after nearly seven years. Recent newsworthy unpleasantness aside, Stellaris and [unannounced] have really strong teams -- Stellaris in particular is the most stable it's ever been and it feels like the Custodian initiative is paying off. Hopefully they'll iterate on that relatively stable ground and not go off the deep end and redesign a bunch of core systems as soon as I'm out the door, but you never know.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

LordMune posted:

I actually feel pretty good about leaving PDS now, after nearly seven years. Recent newsworthy unpleasantness aside, Stellaris and [unannounced] have really strong teams -- Stellaris in particular is the most stable it's ever been and it feels like the Custodian initiative is paying off.

Thank you for your work on such a fantastic game! Also glad to hear the game is still in good hands.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LordMune posted:

Recent newsworthy unpleasantness aside, Stellaris and [unannounced] have really strong teams -- Stellaris in particular is the most stable it's ever been and it feels like the Custodian initiative is paying off. Hopefully they'll iterate on that relatively stable ground and not go off the deep end and redesign a bunch of core systems as soon as I'm out the door, but you never know.

I choose to believe this is confirmation of Stellaris 2 despite all logic.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

V3 -> Stellaris 2 chain play confirmed

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

LordMune posted:

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone! It's not a secret that I'll be the lead content designer for Untitled Dune survival game at Funcom starting in late January.

Untitled Dune Game: Its a lovely morning on Arrakis and you are a horrible sandworm.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

LordMune posted:

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone! It's not a secret that I'll be the lead content designer for Untitled Dune survival game at Funcom starting in late January. Still plenty of unknowns there, not to mention a completely different genre, but I think I've learned some broadly applicable lessons from Stellaris, CK3, and [unannounced].

I actually feel pretty good about leaving PDS now, after nearly seven years. Recent newsworthy unpleasantness aside, Stellaris and [unannounced] have really strong teams -- Stellaris in particular is the most stable it's ever been and it feels like the Custodian initiative is paying off. Hopefully they'll iterate on that relatively stable ground and not go off the deep end and redesign a bunch of core systems as soon as I'm out the door, but you never know.

Good luck with the new place, hope it all works out!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Does anyone know how the AI calculates threat?

Just curious as to why one federation member might be showing me -1000 while another is only showing -477, despite me pretty much being in an equal position to wreck either.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

Is this a terminology issue? As far as I'm aware the vast majority of people use "bug" to refer to "broken coding," not "game design flaw" or "balancing issue." Like, a typo that breaks localization and causes an event to not fire is a bug. A building giving ten times the resources it's supposed to because someone added an extra zero is a bug. The game crashing every time you order a juggernaut to dock as a station is a bug. But "the Khan is too powerful and conquers the entire galaxy every time he shows up" isn't a bug, it's a balance issue. It's a serious balance issue, and a major problem, but it isn't something actively going wrong with the code, it's the code doing exactly what the programmers intended it to do without any hiccups. The issue there isn't the coding, but the unintended effects of what the devs set down on gameplay. Thus, not a bug - unless the reason the Khan is so powerful is because the programmers accidentally gave him five times the fleets they intended to.

This could be it, I tend to internally file poo poo like the GT loving over players only under certain pre-set game settings as "unintended behavior" which from my view point is a problem in the underlying code, not primarily a balance issue. Essentially I see this and think "wow, this must be an unintentional consequence of bad coding".

I just did not think other people would disagree with me on terminology, so it looked to me like people where saying "gently caress players, devs rule", :lol:

Relevant Tangent posted:

The L-Gates working the way they do isn't a bug or a problem and quite frankly being hostile to Libluini in particular could only be to Paradox's advantage.

Considering my play time, I consider Paradox my best friend

LordMune posted:

Also from me some belated thanks for your work and some well-wishes! I hope this new project works out.

And yeah, apart from some pet peeves, Stellaris is really good right now, I don't really have anything to complain about.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Yami Fenrir posted:

Note that vassals generally aren't a good way to do anything because they aren't reliable, but...

There technically is a build I came up with that utilizes vassals very well. I call it the militaires sans frontières build.

Basically it's a military megacorp build that gets as many subsidiaries as possible to build the +10 fleet cap building on to have a massive fleet.

Don't know what that means yet, but I'll find out. Thanks!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ulmont posted:

Does anyone know how the AI calculates threat?

Just curious as to why one federation member might be showing me -1000 while another is only showing -477, despite me pretty much being in an equal position to wreck either.

The wiki claims https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Relations#Variable_modifiers_2

quote:

-2 per system conquered by you
-4 per starbase conquered by you
-8 per planet conquered by you
x0.5 if Diplomacy non aggression pact.png Non-Aggression Pact

So I'm guessing you have a non-aggression pact with one empire and not the other.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

hobbesmaster posted:

The wiki claims https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Relations#Variable_modifiers_2

So I'm guessing you have a non-aggression pact with one empire and not the other.

Also those are incremental modifiers, so I'd think newly-created empires (due to rebellion or liberation/subjugation war or releasing a sector) would start tabulating threat from an initial value of 0 instead of retroactively trying to figure out which planets you own were conquered and when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m at war with all empires in question. Really weird results then, unless some of the conquests were only noticed? by one or two of the three empires I’m looking at.