Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Deakul posted:

How's the combat on the whole? Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn are pretty much my gold standard for solid ARPG combat that make you feel like a god with almost every hit or spell cast.

It is reminiscent of D3 where even like your Level 2 Default Right Click Ability feels pretty powerful. I guess I haven't noticed if there's any like screen shake or paid close especially close attention to the sound design to add that extra layer of "oomph" that made D3 nice and polished, but the overall fluidity of skills just feels good.

For example the Primalist right away gets a Cleave ability that hits everything in the cone rather than just whatever you're targetting, and then you get Leap Slam and they both feel great in terms of mobility and power. Then you get like a Howl/Warcry ability and even if you're spamming your cleave those instant-cast abilities don't interrupt your cleave, so again it just "feels fluid". I've made 2 Primalists already so I could explore 2 of the 3 subclasses, and I already want to make a third to explore the remaining subclass.

The Sentinel has an okay mobility skill that requires a Target, unlike Leap Slam just point-and-leap but even here you don't really feel all that restricted. I'm digging the hell out of the Void Knight subclass, but the Paladin & Forge Guard subclasses didn't thrill me based on the descriptions.

Mage/Sorcerer felt really good, Acolyte/Necromancer wasn't thrilling me though. Rogue seemed good and cool, but it was too similar to my two Primalists so I just didn't play it much - but I will when its third subclass gets added.

You'll definitely know if you like the game or not within the 2-hour Return window on Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Sab669 posted:

(good stuff about Last Epoch)

Thanks for the info, sounds like it ticks my boxes and isn't a dumpster fire like Wolcen, so worth a shot. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Something I run into often enough to be annoying, I really wish the store would say how "packages" or editions of a game differ from the standard game. I presume it has some DLC or something but make it simple to see what the differences are.

Stellaris:
Regular Game
Galaxy Edition

Any idea what the difference is?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

slidebite posted:

Something I run into often enough to be annoying, I really wish the store would say how "packages" or editions of a game differ from the standard game. I presume it has some DLC or something but make it simple to see what the differences are.

Stellaris:
Regular Game
Galaxy Edition

An ebook and some minor graphical poo poo according to steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/616191/Stellaris_Galaxy_Edition_Upgrade_Pack/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone was asking for run-based games like Slay the Spire the other day. Monster Train was a great suggestion, but this Fanatical bundle also launched which might be interesting: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/deckbuilder-bundle. 11 games with different takes on the genre.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jordan7hm posted:

Someone was asking for run-based games like Slay the Spire the other day. Monster Train was a great suggestion, but this Fanatical bundle also launched which might be interesting: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/deckbuilder-bundle. 11 games with different takes on the genre.

System Crash is actually really good!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Cosmic Star Heroine is too real :smith:

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

LAIC9-VGKHY-WH532

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

pissinthewind posted:

LAIC9-VGKHY-WH532

Polish isometric hack and slash papercraft game? Ok, I'll give Book of Demons a try. Thanks for not being a prank code.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

slidebite posted:

Stellaris:
Regular Game
Galaxy Edition

This one’s been explained, but in my experience usually if you expand the right “read more” section on the steam store page for the base game, edition differences will be explained somewhere. Stellaris’s page, for example, has a section describing the galaxy edition if you expand the section right above “About this game”.

Not sure if the placement is consistent, but I can’t remember a game that didn’t show it somewhere.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Anyone know if there's a way to just browse DLC that's on sale for games I own? There's a home page widget for this on the store that shows four items but I can't find anything like a full version of it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Sales haul, I'm probably done now:

Rift Wizard
Kenshi
Omori

almost bought Sekiro but I'm going to wait for Elden Ring while playing the Ninja Gaiden trilogy instead :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Randallteal posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to just browse DLC that's on sale for games I own? There's a home page widget for this on the store that shows four items but I can't find anything like a full version of it.

https://steamdb.info/sales/

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Best of Steam 2021: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/BestOf2021?tab=1

These are usually interesting to look back on. Shout out to Microsoft remembering that they have a vested interest in PC gaming, putting in a bit of effort (and acquisitions) and starting to own the top 100.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Anno posted:

These are usually interesting to look back on. Shout out to Microsoft remembering that they have a vested interest in PC gaming, putting in a bit of effort (and acquisitions) and starting to own the top 100.

Single player is dead :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Anno posted:

The MMO genre has had one hell of a comeback this year.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Lol would people please stop buying GTAV.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anno posted:

Tale of Immortal showing up repeatedly makes me happy :kimchi:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jack Trades posted:

https://steamdb.info/sales/

Unfortunately due to a couple of different factors, SteamDB works like poo poo for this. For instance, since it's using the raw internal Steam data, if you've ever bought a piece of DLC via a bundle or some other kind of nonstandard store entry (something that's extremely likely) then it can't actually detect you already own it. There's also no way to manually cull through the list so even if it could remove what I already own it's going to be clogged with a ridiculous number of cosmetic DLCs and other crap I'm not interested in with no easy way of sorting through them.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 27, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

Lol would people please stop buying GTAV.

I assume its by overall revenue since there are F2P games on there so it's probably people shovelling money into GTA:O microtransactions more than anything

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

repiv posted:

I assume its by overall revenue since there are F2P games on there so it's probably people shovelling money into GTA:O microtransactions more than anything

Yeah

Steam blog posted:

The Top Sellers list is exactly what it sounds like - a look at the 100 games earning the most revenue on Steam during 2021. To get the total revenue, we look at game sales, in-game transactions, and DLC sales for every app on Steam from January 1st, 2021 through December 15th, 2021.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

Unfortunately due to a couple of different factors, SteamDB works like poo poo for this.

tbh, the list of all available DLCs for multiple Paradox titles would stress a good few servers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Unfortunately due to a couple of different factors, SteamDB works like poo poo for this. For instance, since it's using the raw internal Steam data, if you've ever bought a piece of DLC via a bundle or some other kind of nonstandard store entry (something that's extremely likely) then it can't actually detect you already own it. There's also no way to manually cull through the list so even if it could remove what I already own it's going to be clogged with a ridiculous number of cosmetic DLCs and other crap I'm not interested in with no easy way of sorting through them.

You can fix that by installing their browser extension.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

fez_machine posted:

Single player is dead :(

nah it just means the single player games are made by people who want to make video games instead of people who want to make money

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

Sales haul, I'm probably done now:

Rift Wizard
Kenshi
Omori

almost bought Sekiro but I'm going to wait for Elden Ring while playing the Ninja Gaiden trilogy instead :v:

You should play Sekiro, it's really really good. I never played a soulslike before and it's one of my favorite games period.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Foul Fowl posted:

nah it just means the single player games are made by people who want to make video games instead of people who want to make money

That's not true some of the highest-grossing mobile games are singleplayer
:laugh:

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

repiv posted:

Jesus what a world we live in. At least some indies like Valheim are up there too.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Foul Fowl posted:

Eh, I know people mean different things when they say “single player”, but there are a lot of single player games on that top 100 list. It’s just hard to crack the top of the top, but even then last year had a number of big single player games in the platinum/gold range. Next yeah probably will too with stuff like Elden Ring, SoD2 and Starfield.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
well that's true but with a few very notable exceptions big budget titles are creatively bankrupt garbage anyway (speaking of starfield)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Edit: Nevermind, there's an active S.T.A.L.K.E.R topic that I can ask. Should have did a better search!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 27, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't believe New World and Battlefield 2042 are in Platinum category.
I don't have any faith left in humanity.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The problem is AAA games cost almost as much as Marvel movies to make and you need to make enough money to pay for that game as well as the next game and all the flops and failed ideas that never get off the ground etc. etc.

If you figure a big single-player game sells a lot of copies say 10% of Steam's 120 million players it probably makes 576MM before taxes etc after the Valve cut and you can kinda see why they don't go for one and done games.

Hence the prevalence of relatively low-risk high-return projects as well as all the mid-sized developers getting gobbled up by large companies like Microsoft and Tencent. It's probably only going to get worse.

Jack Trades posted:

I can't believe New World and Battlefield 2042 are in Platinum category.
I don't have any faith left in humanity.
BF probably isn't going to stay there unless there is a big turnaround, they are burning big potential revenue to try and sustain right now and the player pop is still dropping like a stone. It's on Steam's frontpage and barely a bump, more people supposedly play on Origin but not looking great for EA

I haven't kept up with New World at all.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 28, 2021

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Hub Cat posted:

It's probably only going to get worse.

ohhhh it's definitely going to get worse. This will be the beginning of the surge of NFT! blockchain! games.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

funkmeister posted:

ohhhh it's definitely going to get worse. This will be the beginning of the surge of NFT! blockchain! games.

Not on Steam thank god

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hub Cat posted:

I haven't kept up with New World at all.
New World lost over 90% of it's userbase in under 3 months. Despite that, New World is in the top 5 games most played games right now with over 100 thousand concurrent players.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I’m pretty sure if you polled how many people thought New World would still hit six figures concurrent three months after release the answer would be pretty small. People like to look at concurrent drops but it’s still chugging along pretty well considering everything that’s happened to that cursed product.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I don't understand who the gently caress bought it. Battlefield makes sense, it's a long running franchise, but New World? Was there hype for the lovely Amazon MMO?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Amazon owns Twitch so yeah they were able to manufacture quite a bit of buzz by paying tons of streamers to play it for weeks.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't understand who the gently caress bought it. Battlefield makes sense, it's a long running franchise, but New World? Was there hype for the lovely Amazon MMO?

There's always hype for the hot new MMO. Whether or not it actually retains players, well..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Protocol7 posted:

There's always hype for the hot new MMO. Whether or not it actually retains players, well..

why

haven't we learned yet that mmos are poo poo

there's even a good one that has a free trial up to level 60 including the award winning heavensward expansion with no restrictions on playtime