Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
oh man, if the MMO continued this was the planned content, holy crap, why didn't they do this?

Neo's ultimate fate has been openly called into question as Morpheus has pointed out that his remains were never returned from 01 (the Machine City) back to Zion, but at the same time the Machines have commented that they did not recycle (liquefy for re-use) his body. On an interesting note, there is a newspaper clipping found during a Zion critical mission about a 27-year-old woman named Sarah Edmontons (an anagram for "Thomas Anderson") waking up from a coma and leaving the hospital on her own. In the text, there was a note written on it asking, "Is this him?" Furthermore, on one Machines' set of critical missions, it turned out that Edmontons does not exist in any known database, therefore supporting the speculation that Edmontons is Neo. Although no outright comments have been made, developers have hinted that Edmontons would have played a role in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just realized which old-franchise-getting-an-unnecessary-follow-up this movie most reminded me of. It reminded me of that graphic novel that Chuck Palahniuk wrote as a sequel to Fight Club. Just meta-narrative after meta-narrative, callbacks to the original, even the basic set up is similar (main character has been "reset" and is living a normal life on medication). And if Neo and Smith are "two sides of the same coin" then Smith is Neo's Tyler Durden.

In both cases I didn't hate the follow-up but it didn't need to be made :shrug:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Booty Pageant posted:

am i one of the few or only persons that don't really give a gently caress about the action scenes?? like there was some cool stuff but idgaf that there wasn't some epic kojima esque setpiece except near the end i guess, but i still reckon it's a cool and good movie. i mean we get the dramatisation of the life and times of hideo kojima, in spiderman no way home that ending was hella mgs1/2 and no time to die was just a huge mgs movie... is resurrections a strand type film???

I mean for me the action was a part of the allure along with the world built. To act like fans of the action are missing the point (not saying those are your words) is to ignore what really gave the film its status and success.

Personally I find the “it’s a love story” laughable because I found the chemistry between Neo and Trinity to be completely non existent and their entire relationship built on “oh the Oracle said I love you”. It probably doesn’t help that Keanu has almost no range and when he isn’t doing an over dramatic bewildered performance it feels like a parody of a student actor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Dave posted:

I mean for me the action was a part of the allure along with the world built. To act like fans of the action are missing the point (not saying those are your words) is to ignore what really gave the film its status and success.

Personally I find the “it’s a love story” laughable because I found the chemistry between Neo and Trinity to be completely non existent and their entire relationship built on “oh the Oracle said I love you”. It probably doesn’t help that Keanu has almost no range and when he isn’t doing an over dramatic bewildered performance it feels like a parody of a student actor.

I thought the action sequences of the original trilogy were subtly important because by showing the audience something they'd never seen before we were put into a headspace where we were willing to believe in something impossible and that made us empahise with the characters journey more.

"Nobody's ever done anything like this before"
"That's why it's going to work"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Booty Pageant posted:

am i one of the few or only persons that don't really give a gently caress about the action scenes?? like there was some cool stuff but idgaf that there wasn't some epic kojima esque setpiece except near the end i guess, but i still reckon it's a cool and good movie.

You clearly aren’t the only person who didn’t give a gently caress about the action scenes, but those scenes unfortunately take up about a third of the film’s runtime, alongside the very unhelpful exposition scenes. See all the people struggling to understand the basic plot? There’s maybe 45 minutes of actual movie in here.

You have stuff like Tiff being insulted by her husband but then dedicating herself to hardcore gaming to such a degree that she has vivid nightmares about it - a character arc that occurs entirely offscreen. (When Tiffany plays the game, does she play as Trinity or as Neo? Is that even an option?)

Maybe they could trim down the scene where the heroes beat up the homeless refugees, so that we can have a better understanding of why the genocide occurred.

Instead, we have one line. Like, “after Matrix 3, Morpheus became the supreme leader of Earth. All the food just plum ran out, and people started murdering eachother.” Like, wait, what? What the gently caress did Morpheus do?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You clearly aren’t the only person who didn’t give a gently caress about the action scenes, but those scenes unfortunately take up about a third of the film’s runtime, alongside the very unhelpful exposition scenes. See all the people struggling to understand the basic plot? There’s maybe 45 minutes of actual movie in here.

You have stuff like Tiff being insulted by her husband but then dedicating herself to hardcore gaming to such a degree that she has vivid nightmares about it - a character arc that occurs entirely offscreen. (When Tiffany plays the game, does she play as Trinity or as Neo? Is that even an option?)

Maybe they could trim down the scene where the heroes beat up the homeless refugees, so that we can have a better understanding of why the genocide occurred.

Instead, we have one line. Like, “after Matrix 3, Morpheus became the supreme leader of Earth. All the food just plum ran out, and people started murdering eachother.” Like, wait, what? What the gently caress did Morpheus do?

This is the good poo poo.

e: I think you can draw the dots without too much difficulty based on the previous films, but I agree entirely the exposition dump is a mess. Morpheus is the revolutionary who assumes the revolution is a once-and-done deal. He doesn't actually think about the material consequences of his revolution- that pulling loads of people out of the Matrix creates resource scarcity for the machine society. The forces of reaction in the Machine world reject the obvious course of 'disarm the military-industrial complex that drains so many resources' and instead use the military to seize back control. This counter-revolution results in leftsists deciding that trying to blend in better and not be noticed is better than fighting the system.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 27, 2021

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

There’s not much to the movie to elaborate on.

They straight-up do ‘the NPC meme’, multiple jokes about ‘triggering’, etc., while eliminating any trace of socioeconomics. That’s the whole film. The number of human characters ostensibly victimized by the poorly-defined ‘system’ could be counted on one hand, with fingers to spare.

Npcs have always been part of the matrix since the original. There’s always been the awakened and the unawakened used by authority. In the original it was the government exploiting them. In the new one it’s a modern monopolistic tech company.

Do you really think the triggering therapy sessions were played as jokes? nothing in the tone or visuals or acting or script would indicate this. They are shown accurately (perhaps based on directors experience) and shown to be exploited for control.

Also the whole of this new matrix and the analyst is an attack on the modern internet economy driven by algorithm controlled content. This is the modern form of capitalism in the west where gdp is primarily driven by services (like search engines or social media).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That entire last part about Morpheus and food running out is incorrect. The civil war was not between people but between machine factions post Revolutions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Like, wait, what? What the gently caress did Morpheus do?

Commissioned a statue of himself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think what they were saying about Morpheus in the movie was that he failed to anticipate that the Machines would also have separate factions that disagreed on things just like humans do. So when the truce caused resources to become scarce, the Machines went to war with each other and the humans decided to go back into hiding because the Machines that came out on top weren't going to honor the truce anymore.

Is that more or less accurate?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Alchenar posted:

This is the good poo poo.

e: I think you can draw the dots without too much difficulty based on the previous films, but I agree entirely the exposition dump is a mess. Morpheus is the revolutionary who assumes the revolution is a once-and-done deal. He doesn't actually think about the material consequences of his revolution- that pulling loads of people out of the Matrix creates resource scarcity for the machine society. The forces of reaction in the Machine world reject the obvious course of 'disarm the military-industrial complex that drains so many resources' and instead use the military to seize back control. This counter-revolution results in leftsists deciding that trying to blend in better and not be noticed is better than fighting the system.

Morpheus’ weakness was his same as in the original matrix trilogy: zealous belief. He was always overly dogmatic and neo ending the original war would just further convince Morpheus he was correct.

Good point about the machine city military industrials complex. I assume Sentinel production lobby is strong and controls many program jobs.

Post machine civil war it seems that many machines and programs allied themselves with the human groups who left Zion. This is a fairly pro immigration view that obviously shares some analogy with the u.s. post wars where fleeing foreign scientist helped increase all of America’s tech. Also just a generally favorable view of working with people of all types.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This was the worst movie I've seen in a very long time. It was what I'd imagine a Matrix movie would look like if it were made by Benioff and Weiss, after they found out they had 10 days to wrap up production if they wanted to be given the chance to reboot Harry Potter.

None of the sequels really live up to the original, but at least 2 and 3 maintained the style and technical quality that the original was known for. This movie is a lot like that Fantastic Four movie that was made just so the studio would maintain the rights to the IP. It is such a low effort entry to the series that I really have to wonder why it was made. The Wachowskis didn't want to do it, and this effort is definitely not going to spin up another money printing franchise for Warner Brothers. It was just a waste of time and money all round.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

It was just a waste of time and money all round.

Given that it ended up being a disappointment, WB is probably happy with it overall considering that it was like the anchor of their pandemic releases on HBOMAX. So I think we can see now that it was never going to be a box office smash, and it was probably more valuable to them this way in the end, as something enticing to drive subscriptions until the end of the year.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Matrix 4 is good. Best movie of the year.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mr Hootington posted:

Matrix 4 is good. Best movie of the year.

This is correct.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

This was the worst movie I've seen in a very long time. It was what I'd imagine a Matrix movie would look like if it were made by Benioff and Weiss, after they found out they had 10 days to wrap up production if they wanted to be given the chance to reboot Harry Potter.

None of the sequels really live up to the original, but at least 2 and 3 maintained the style and technical quality that the original was known for. This movie is a lot like that Fantastic Four movie that was made just so the studio would maintain the rights to the IP. It is such a low effort entry to the series that I really have to wonder why it was made. The Wachowskis didn't want to do it, and this effort is definitely not going to spin up another money printing franchise for Warner Brothers. It was just a waste of time and money all round.

Lol source your quotes

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I get why people like the first half of the movie, but the save Trinity section of the movie was a long series of boring action sequences with ugly effects. There were enough cool shots for trailers, but nothing more.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ghostwritingduck posted:

I get why people like the first half of the movie, but the save Trinity section of the movie was a long series of boring action sequences with ugly effects. There were enough cool shots for trailers, but nothing more.

Yeah the bit where the film starts to go off the rails is on landing at IO.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The first thirty minutes or so was a good short film, followed by yet another Matrix sequel. The film shares a lot with Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Gremlins 2, Alien 4, and Spaceballs but I'm not sure it even has the guts of the latter in terms of auto-critical self awareness.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

This was the worst movie I've seen in a very long time.

lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
When somebody says that a middling movie is the worst thing they've seen in a long time, just assume they don't watch many movies.

Anyway this was billed as the Gremlins 2 of Matrix movies and it wasn't, at all. Bummer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

When somebody says that a middling movie is the worst thing they've seen in a long time, just assume they don't watch many movies.

I do try not to watch bad films.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
My friend if you do that you will certainly fail and all you will watch will be bad films

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You'd be surprised how many bad films you can avoid watching if you only watch stuff that's recommended around here. Like, yea of course it's all down to taste so sometimes I'll be disappointed in something that's recommended here but for the most part if people are talking about it here then it's at least decent.

It's extra true in the horror thread, if you only watched horror movies recommended by the horror thread for a whole year you'd probably never see a bad movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I only watch good movies and given that I’ve seen this movie it’s safe to say it is actually a good film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watch as many movies as you can

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

checkplease posted:

Famous right wing red piller Lana Wachowski after all.

I was expecting this movie to try to “reclaim” the redpill and/or change it to mean something that would piss chuds off. There was one line about how the pills are symbolic and don’t really represent a choice, but then later in the movie with Trinity it seems like they do matter, since the gang is anxiously asking if Trinity took the red pill?. So that was a bit disappointing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Trinity didn’t actually have to take the red pill. She chose by choosing Neo. Everyone is so caught up in the pill but as was stated the pill is symbolic, you just have to be mentally ready and make a choice.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Couple things I was wondering about...in the scene where Trinity and Neo are having coffee we get a look at what Trinity really looks like in the reflection of the table as she answers her phone call about the kids. Its a little confusing because Trinity's whole speech is about how her husband laughed at her for thinking she looks like the video game character. But she doesn't look like Trinity in the modal, or Trinity in the "video game" clips we keep seeing, or Moss herself.

Is this the same lady behind Neo when he's shown at the party about to jump off the roof? May be a case of goon face blindness but looks like her to me.

And what is going on here? This is supposed to be the "real world" isnt it? This is during the Analysts exposition dump about resurrecting them. But they are producing fusion by touching in the "real" world?

I mean you can always just yell symbolism, or unreliable narrator or anything with the Matrix and it basically makes sense. As far as these movies are concerned "A wizard did it!" is totally valid, I just wondered if there were better explanations or something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think that's showing you that Trinity has the same body-morphing field applied that Neo does.

As for creating fusion with a touch or w/e, yeah chalk it up to the power of True Love or some poo poo.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sedgr posted:

And what is going on here? This is supposed to be the "real world" isnt it? This is during the Analysts exposition dump about resurrecting them. But they are producing fusion by touching in the "real" world?

wireless charging stations

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Watch as many movies as you can

Sometimes I respect a one star movie more than a three star mainstream blockbuster simply for the fact that the three star mainstream blockbuster is made safe and inoffensive by design to maximize profits across all demographics of the mainstream audience.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sedgr posted:

I mean you can always just yell symbolism, or unreliable narrator or anything with the Matrix and it basically makes sense. As far as these movies are concerned "A wizard did it!" is totally valid, I just wondered if there were better explanations or something.

Static buildup! Neo did show real world powers by interfacing/stopping the sentinels at the end of Reloaded and was wirelessly plugged in to the Matrix for a part of the third film so this isn’t exactly new.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

Npcs have always been part of the matrix since the original. There’s always been the awakened and the unawakened used by authority.

That’s exactly the trouble. The narrative of being radicalized against a conspiracy by nonspecific “authorities” has always been conducive to right-wing appropriation. Because Lana could not or would not address that issue, Matrix 4 takes the bold stance that the previous three films were ideologically pure, and people of all stripes simply failed to somehow ‘take the movies seriously enough.’

The obvious contrast is made between the crew of the hovercraft who are ‘the true fans’, as contrasted with the fake fanboys who are Tom’s employees. The fake fanboys are fans of the films - the ones talking about trans rights and anticapitalism - while the true fans are like “I was inspired to become a superhero-god like you, so I’ve taken up a career as a geneticist!”

Lana is (seemingly) dismissive of the trans rights stuff because the film is about technologism as a source of change as opposed to leftism.

So, we need to very specific about what’s going on: the videogame company is not in any way presented as ‘the bad guy’. The coders and other employees are presented as silly doofuses, rather than as exploited workers with whom to have solidarity. Even the boss joins in on the fun, while the actual villain is the therapist whose goal is to make reality boring.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I love how Neo cucks Chad.

Only bad part of the whole thing was that they couldn't get Hugo Weaving back.

Like I understand Lawrence Fishburne being written out but c'mon, you can't just recast Smith as some young goober

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hugo doing the scene where Smith awakens would have been so loving good.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I liked Jonathan Groff in this, but the fact that it could have been Hugo Weaving is all I could think about whenever he was on screen.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Xenomrph posted:

This new one.... I've got a lot of questions and they aren't philosophical ones. I might as well spoiler-block this whole bit.
- Morpheus was a waste. He's a construct within a video game written by Neo, but becomes "real" (I think?) by transferring himself out of the "game" reality and into the "Matrix" reality, who can then take physical form in the "real" reality via magnetic marbles or whatever. Like, a genuinely human-created artificial construct developing consciousness and transcending reality is a neat character idea, but having him "be" Morpheus was nonsensical. He didn't act like Morpheus, he didn't have Morpheus' motivations from the first three movies, there's no link between him and the "real" Morpheus that existed in the first three movies other than his name. He should have just been his own character.

He had Morpheus' exact motivation from the first movies. He found The One. Neo set up the modal to establish a program that combined the traits of the people who were critical in bringing about his awakening. The character was Smith while he was still in Agent mode and once he was freed from the modal Matrix, he chose the name Morpheus because he realized he was supposed to find Neo. His aping the style and lines from the original Morpheus were just him having fun with it.

Like someone else said, Reloaded and Resurrections never really had Morpheus do anything particularly important. It makes some sense that this Morpheus also wouldn't really have much to do after fulfilling his purpose, but I do think it makes him a bit of a wasted character.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

checkplease posted:

That entire last part about Morpheus and food running out is incorrect. The civil war was not between people but between machine factions post Revolutions.

The machines are people who had a civil war over a lack of food. It sounds like Morpheus just ignored this, inadvisably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

remigious posted:

I was expecting this movie to try to “reclaim” the redpill and/or change it to mean something that would piss chuds off. There was one line about how the pills are symbolic and don’t really represent a choice, but then later in the movie with Trinity it seems like they do matter, since the gang is anxiously asking if Trinity took the red pill?. So that was a bit disappointing.

The reversal of the One mythos, which the trailers made me think the movie was going lean into,m was my fav part of the movie.

One man will save everyone. Blech