Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Jakabite posted:

I don’t think it’s all that outrageous to think that it could have come from a failure of containment. It’s just that usually when people harp on about it it’s an excuse to do a racism against Chinese people.

Agree with the former, not sure if you're shooting from the hip on the latter as I dont read infowars/most American media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I also think the idea that the leak (if it was indeed one, and like I said, I don’t think it matters) was deliberate is idiotic. Who would be stupid enough to release it not only in their own country but in the city where people were working on the virus? It’s completely implausible. Which brings us back to is being an accidental leak (if it was a leak, which is less likely). And then back to the original question of why it matters. I still don’t see how it’s practically relevant (“important immunobiology” notwithstanding).

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
But if a nonhuman intelligence was trying to hide its role in the virus, somewhere with a research facility —and a large concentration of animals known to create cross-species viruses— would be the perfect place to cover your tracks.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

But if a nonhuman intelligence was trying to hide its role in the virus, somewhere with a research facility —and a large concentration of animals known to create cross-species viruses— would be the perfect place to cover your tracks.

Pinkie & The Brain made one major mistake - it was the virus, not them that took over the world.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It occurs to me that its not actually that suprising that the only lab in the world equiped to detect Covid was the first to detect it, nor that a facility built to research sars/covid would exist in close proximity to a place previous outbreaks have originated from.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I somewhat disagree. You never k ow what hilarious poo poo you can get them to say if you don't engage. I got that @verycentrist guy to say he knows more about what is and isn't apartheid yesterday than Nelson Mandela or Desmond Tutu and that's hilarious.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jolyon the Fox-Killer is about to show how loving dumb he is on Christmas University Challenge

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

But again, nobody who thinks it was made in China (heh) whether it was a bio weapon or let out by accident, has explained why it matters at all? Should we go to war with China? Are we going to sanction the country that makes basically everything on the planet? It doesn't matter and there's nothing anybody can do about it

Or any plausible evidence that that's what happened, but lets not let the that get in the way. Incidentally, I hear twisto is Terry Pratchett's illegitimate and much more boring child.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think you'll find they don't make melton mowbray pies or diana plates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(they prob make diana plates)

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

therattle posted:

And then back to the original question of why it matters. I still don’t see how it’s practically relevant (“important immunobiology” notwithstanding).

Don't you have even a baseline level of curiosity about the world around you? Does there have to be a practical consequence or motive or aspect to this? None of us have any agency as it relates to this situation, what's being discussed is an attempt to investigate how it happened.

Just kidding, buy my cereal and do racism

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

Jolyon the Fox-Killer is about to show how loving dumb he is on Christmas University Challenge

lol he doesn't understand the meaning of the word "centenary"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Miftan posted:

But again, nobody who thinks it was made in China (heh) whether it was a bio weapon or let out by accident, has explained why it matters at all? Should we go to war with China? Are we going to sanction the country that makes basically everything on the planet? It doesn't matter and there's nothing anybody can do about it

Weird attitude to have tbh. Surely investigating the origins of COVID is scientifically useful?

In the very unlikely event that it was proved to be lab made that'd at least create a push for increased restrictions on creating/working with highly infectious viruses.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spangly A posted:

Im going to be the guy that reread the lovely dumb article and restated the incredibly obvious rebuttal to the lab leak theory: there is literally no evidence for it presented in the article, and the null hypothesis of any virus is always natural origin because that is how viruses work

the entire argument is "an autistic man is upset that "prove the negative" is not how science works".

:raise:

Why that phrasing?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Necrothatcher posted:

Weird attitude to have tbh. Surely investigating the origins of COVID is scientifically useful?

In the very unlikely event that it was proved to be lab made that'd at least create a push for increased restrictions on creating/working with highly infectious viruses.

Either way, I highly doubt we'll ever find out, in much the same way we'll ever find out if HIV was created in a lab. You'd hope that there's already as many restrictions on that sort of thing anyway.

I don't k ow enough about viruses to know if the origins would be helpful in combating it, you'd assume it's already fairly extensively sequenced at this point, but again, I don't know anything about it. Would it be helpful?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

endlessmonotony posted:

Why that phrasing?

yeah, i don't really see the need to bring the guy's autism into it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

endlessmonotony posted:

Why that phrasing?

because it is the given argument for why we should trust this rando instead of the scientific consensus of people with actual qualifications in related fields

quote:

Gilles Demaneuf is a data scientist with the Bank of New Zealand in Auckland. He was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome ten years ago, and believes it gives him a professional advantage. “I’m very good at finding patterns in data, when other people see nothing,” he says.

Mugsbaloney posted:

I find the article and the podcast persuasive.

e;

Angepain posted:

yeah, i don't really see the need to bring the guy's autism into it

it is literally the basis for the article

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Comrade Fakename posted:

My family’s mainly dead so I’m spending Christmas with some family friends. The older parents of one of the family friend’s husband are also here. The mother is talking about how much she loves her Kindle, and how easy it is to change the page, just by flicking.

“I’m just flicking away all night,” she says.

This not amusing. At all. How's her clematis?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

InspectorCarbonara posted:

If nothing else covid has removed any hopes I had that we could stop climate change. If people and governments are this reluctant to take the relatively small measures to stop a pandemic then lmao at them taking the bigger measures and changes to lifestyles that it would take to save us from that.

This. We had major world leaders falling ill with Covid and they still haven't taken it seriously. That's like having your home destroyed by wildfires or floods and still refusing to believe climate change is happening.

Re: Covid escaping from a lab, if you were creating a bioweapon you'd want something with a higher mortality rate. You don't want a pandemic that will spread everywhere including your allies and predominantly kill the over 80s, why bother with that? You want a disease that kills like Ebola. And if you are creating a bioweapon, you make sure you are creating a treatment alongside it, just in case of accidents.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's a lot to be said about the rapid uptake of China as the new Global Enemy. But it's difficult. It's such effective propaganda. Sometimes the call comes from inside the house.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 27, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
why would you bother listening to the thoughts of virologists or epidemiologists when you could instead listen to *checks notes* a data geek working in a New Zealand bank

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Once again we are proving this to be the most easily trolled thread in the forums.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

Everyone on that episode should be ashamed of themselves, but especially Jojo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Everyone on that episode should be ashamed of themselves, but especially Jojo

Ings was pretty good, and Glaser was OK

the rest of them though, yeesh

it's pretty hilarious how even the best of the "professionals" would get absolutely slaughtered by any of the student teams

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

Ings was pretty good, and Glaser was OK

the rest of them though, yeesh

it's pretty hilarious how even the best of the "professionals" would get absolutely slaughtered by any of the student teams

I wanted Jon Robbins to be terrible, because a lot of his Friday afternoon radio-show is about people admitting to shameful things or having questions where Robbins plays the part of a know-it-all (which isn't really an act). But he was decent

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
As as I can see, mugsbaloney was posting in good faith and I dunno why some people were reacting with such snarling hostility :shrug:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

IllusionistTrixie posted:

Once again we are proving this to be the most easily trolled thread in the forums.

Nah, this is just everyone saying "gently caress off" but in slightly more words, this is the rare example when people engaged only minimally with the dipshit

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Good faith or not I do wish all the posters who feel the need to just say gently caress off would just ignore the offending poster.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just :rubby: and scroll on

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Good faith or not I do wish all the posters who feel the need to just say gently caress off would just ignore the offending poster.

It's fine if people have to hear the words "gently caress off" sometimes, or even just read them on a dead forum. It doesn't matter at all

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

As as I can see, mugsbaloney was posting in good faith and I dunno why some people were reacting with such snarling hostility :shrug:

Yeah, I dunno if they have a history of being a dipshit (glance at posts itt and rap sheet says no) but I don't think they were some secret fash troll.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wanted Jon Robbins to be terrible, because a lot of his Friday afternoon radio-show is about people admitting to shameful things or having questions where Robbins plays the part of a know-it-all (which isn't really an act). But he was decent

I wanted him to to do badly because his radio shows quality is inversely related to how well his life is going.

EDIT: While discussing OXBRIDGE comedians I fell off of Richard Herring when he started inviting labour right wingers on his comedy podcast, but I gave a recent episode ago and his Stuart lee bashing asides seem much less light-hearted, did something happen recently?

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 27, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Julio Cruz posted:

why would you bother listening to the thoughts of virologists or epidemiologists when you could instead listen to *checks notes* a data geek working in a New Zealand bank

Yeah come on surely if we were going to listen to someone like that we'd just pay more attention to Dom Cummies

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JoylessJester posted:

I wanted him to to do badly because his radio shows quality is inversely related to how well his life is going.

Good news then, his fiancee left him!

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Good news then, his fiancee left him!

Man dumped over xmas again. The last time this happened he got an Edinburgh award.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's fine if people have to hear the words "gently caress off" sometimes, or even just read them on a dead forum. It doesn't matter at all

It’s not to protect their delicate wee hearts, it’s just tedious and pointless.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

It’s not to protect their delicate wee hearts, it’s just tedious and pointless.

I honestly find the backlash to it more tedious but ok

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JoylessJester posted:

Man dumped over xmas again. The last time this happened he got an Edinburgh award.

My brother once dumped a girl so he didn't have to buy her a Xmas present. It would be entirely in keeping with Robbins' persona to arrange that kind of scenario

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Jakabite posted:

This very much depends on whether you think they're only annoying to you, or you think they're making the thread worse for everyone. If you ignore them everyone else still has to deal with them.

Personally, I think getting a hostile response to wanting to discuss fash talking points is pretty normal.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
For everyone asking why it matters whether the pandemic resulted from a lab leak, from what I remember of the Vanity Fair article, there are two reasonable takeaways:

1. There should be better safety precautions at these kinds of facilities, including mandatory quarantines for anyone working with infectious material (I think they suggest something akin to a shift system, 2 weeks on, 1 week in quarantine, 1 week off, or something like that) to ensure that accidental infections don't spread easily.

2. These labs shouldn't be located near major urban centres, which in turn ties back into point 1 and the need for more firewalls between the lab and the outside world.

I read the VF article and some counterarguments and I honestly don't know what to make of the argument. Anyone arguing that COVID was deliberately released and that China is thus uniquely bad is obviously an idiot (and, as the article lays out, this kind of research is a collaborative endeavour -- even if it did leak from China, the research itself involves many nations), but the author lays out a pretty clear case that security and safety protocols at the Wuhan lab were shockingly lax in the period prior to the beginning of the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I honestly find the backlash to it more tedious but ok

And I find the backlash to the ‘backlash’ even more tedious but there you go. Please continue your insightful and brilliant posting.