Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

https://twitter.com/hello_gonzalo/status/1475536125573828609?t=AfxiU4uv9PGetjpLTjRnpg&s=19

Biden's hands off, big business friendly approach to the pandemic has been deadly and inexcusable and IMO only the memory of Trump is saving him from a storm of criticism.

Also I feel worse today and I tested positive so now my wife and I can suffer together :waycool:

There's been a robust and immediate federal response all year long, and yet COVID has not been solved with the powers and mechanisms available to the federal government. And yeah, we can quibble about stuff like whether the government could have done more on test availability, but even sending out tests and masks to every person in the country every week wouldn't be enough to end COVID. The key interventions that would be needed are all state-level stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"Medical masks are bad" seems like a thread lore thing that isn't strongly supported.

I think the main issue is there's a giant disconnect between posters rationally wanting the absolute best protection for themselves, and thinking everyone else in the nation is one national N95 airdrop away from ending COVID forever. The people most concerned about COVID ignore the huge portion of everyone else around them who are willing to irrationally not give a poo poo.

Even in Bluest Blue NYC at the absolute worst positivity numbers we've ever seen, I saw a good 1 in 5 people in Grand Central Station yesterday either dicknosing or chin diapering. Maybe a 1-2% no mask at all, but they stood out. I wish we could get to 100% of people simply getting a surgical mask over their noses, but the only ones with the authority to actually enforce that are the loving masks-are-for-pussies NYPD. Now try getting <50% vaccinated Alabama or wherever to hit even that low benchmark. No amount of federal pressure or free anti-plague options will get them putting on N95s or getting 95%+ vaccinated.

And for the record I'm triple vaxed, N95 + surgical indoors, and only went maskless at places that did vaccine checks before Omicron hit.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Judakel posted:

You're going to a pharmacy, potentially sick, to get the vaccine.

Well it was written as (numbering mine):

quote:

vaccination during quarantine could be considered during (1) outreach and contact tracing activities or (2) at the time of post-exposure SARS-CoV-2 testing"

Which to me sounds like it's either 1. during times that you're potentially being given a housecall of some kind or 2. during a time that you're already at a testing facility anyway, so there's no additional risk involved.

I agree that if neither of those were the case, it doesn't make sense to have you rush out to a pharmacy. But that doesn't seem to be what this is talking about

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At least from my perspective in a blue state that attempted to do its best to manage Covid while Trump was in office, not much has changed since Biden has been in office. We still have a mask mandate in place and there's vaccine mandates for health care workers and state employees, but the thing is that it's not just "states" that have to do something about it. Like there's no real enforcement of mask mandates on businesses that I can see. Some places have people all masked up, some seem to be lax about it. I guess you can report violations and maybe they get a fine or something? And even a big blue state has lots of red counties where the county sheriff reigns over their little fiefdom and like hell are they gonna enforce the communist Biden agenda. There is far too much variation in municipalities and jurisdiction in this country to be able to tackle Covid on a federal level, and arguably even a good state response won't be enough with the amount of power the "we want to love and kiss the virus" idiots can wield in local municipalities.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Professor Beetus posted:

At least from my perspective in a blue state that attempted to do its best to manage Covid while Trump was in office, not much has changed since Biden has been in office. We still have a mask mandate in place and there's vaccine mandates for health care workers and state employees, but the thing is that it's not just "states" that have to do something about it. Like there's no real enforcement of mask mandates on businesses that I can see. Some places have people all masked up, some seem to be lax about it. I guess you can report violations and maybe they get a fine or something? And even a big blue state has lots of red counties where the county sheriff reigns over their little fiefdom and like hell are they gonna enforce the communist Biden agenda. There is far too much variation in municipalities and jurisdiction in this country to be able to tackle Covid on a federal level, and arguably even a good state response won't be enough with the amount of power the "we want to love and kiss the virus" idiots can wield in local municipalities.

It comes down to the fact that nobody in power is actually doing anything meaningful, because any implementation of npis WITH ENFORCEMENT will disrupt capital. We can eat poo poo with 10k deaths a day and it still won't happen. You are well and truly on your own.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Does anyone know what the deal is with the telomere shortening/up to 35 years of biological aging chart/paper? Does this mean even a mild case is knocking that many years straight off your lifespan or what?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1475537714086694919

this seems really, really, really good?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

It doesn't seem possible with the omicron rates in high boost areas

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Riptor posted:

Well it was written as (numbering mine):

Which to me sounds like it's either 1. during times that you're potentially being given a housecall of some kind or 2. during a time that you're already at a testing facility anyway, so there's no additional risk involved.

I agree that if neither of those were the case, it doesn't make sense to have you rush out to a pharmacy. But that doesn't seem to be what this is talking about

That's true, if you're one of the few in situation 2 it makes sense. Very few people are in that situation. They either exhibit symptoms and have a reasonably good idea it is covid or go to a testing site that only does tests. Number 1 is just an asymptomatic person who wouldn't know they had it or even suspect it. Because as soon as you have symptoms, don't go.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

What are those?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

OddObserver posted:

What are those?

Israel and Denmark

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The scientists who were urging people to not freak out over the initial studies of neutralizing antibodies may have been correct. B cells are not nearly as picky when it comes to killing things.

Wang Commander posted:

The above study only refers to symptomatic infections, not sure how many of the omicron infections being reported in those areas are symptomatic vs asymptomatic (though there does seem to be less infections requiring hospitalizations at least).

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Wang Commander posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the telomere shortening/up to 35 years of biological aging chart/paper? Does this mean even a mild case is knocking that many years straight off your lifespan or what?

it might be helpful to link the study you're asking about

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/01/210111115738.htm

The study was that shorter telomeres correlate with worse outcomes, not that Covid saps out the telomeres in random cells in your body. What would even be the mechanism for it stealing telomeres from unaffected cells?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Denmark - 27 December

Switching to use text file as of today which seems to be more cut-and-dried. https://covid19.ssi.dk/overvagningsdata/download-fil-med-overvaagningdata

So even with new source, while cases continue to climb in Denmark, hospitalizations are not yet fully tracking the rise.

pre:
Denmark Covid Cases
------------------------------------
Dec 27 16,164 new cases, 639 reinfections, 115 new hospitalizations (608 total), 70 ICU (-1), 46 Vent (-2), 7 dead
Dec 26 14,844 new cases, 644 reinfections, 123 new hospitalization (579 total), 71 ICU (-2), 43 Vent (+1), 13 dead
Dec 25 10,027 new cases, 463 reinfections, 86 new hospitalization (522 total), 73 ICU (-1), 44 Vent (+5), 10 dead
Dec 24 11,229 new cases, 527 reinfections, 134 new hospitalizations (509 total), 74 ICU (+2), 39 vent (+1), 14 dead
Dec 23 12,487 new cases, 613 reinfections, 158 new hospitalizations (541 total), 72 ICU (+6), 38 vent (+1), 15 dead
Dec 22 13,386 new cases, 531 reinfections, 126 new hospitalization (524 total), 66 ICU (-1), 37 vent(+2), 14 dead 
Dec 21 13,558 new cases, 501 reinfections, 121 new hospitalization (526 total), 67 ICU (+1), 35 vent(+2) , 17 dead
Dec 20 10,082 new cases, (no reinf. data),    85 new hospitalization (581 total), 66 ICU (+3), 33 vent(-2), 8 dead
Dec 19 8,212
Dec 18 8,594
Dec 17 11,194
Dec 16 9,999
Dec 15 8,773
Since yesterday, rates per 100,000 population. Not sure what to say about this except again, big uptick in cases for all 3 classes. Hospitalizations maybe tick up in unvaccinated but not seeing it in partial or full populations.
pre:
                                  Unvaccinated              Partial           Full                           Unvaccinated    Partial    Full
27 DEC    New cases:                     304.4                324.9          263.3    Hospitalizations:              40.0       15.8    7.8
26 DEC    New cases:                     310.4                274.9          241.2    Hospitalizations:              39.0       15.4    7.3
25 DEC    New cases:                     181.6                162.1          161.5    Hospitalizations:              33.9       16.0    6.8
24 DEC    New cases:                     184.1                173.0          182.1    Hospitalizations:              34.5       14.9    7.1
23 DEC    New cases:                     237.1                202.6          197.9    Hospitalizations:              35.4       16.2    7.5
22 DEC    New cases:                     257.1                198.1          211.7    Hospitalizations:              34.2       15.3    7.3
21 DEC    New cases:                     270.1                226.2          207.8    Hospitalizations:              32.9       14.3    7.5

Omicron percentage of variant tests jumped to 70-75% from 60% or so yesterday. A lot of PCR numbers take a few days to make their way to SSI so the numbers wobble and stop at 22 December

Todays report on PCR tests for Omicron as a percentage of variant tests show that Denmark is probably well over 80% by now in Omicron.
pre:
1.77% on 1 December
4.8% on 6 December
10.17% on 8 December
22.06% on 12 December
37.97% on 14 December
50% on 17 December
60% on 20 December
70% on 21 December
76% on 22 December
79.31% on 23 December (only 29 tests though)

Sources:
https://covid19.ssi.dk/overvagningsdata/download-fil-med-overvaagningdata
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/242ec2acc014456295189631586f1d26
https://covid19.ssi.dk/virusvarianter/delta-pcr

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 27, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/01/210111115738.htm

The study was that shorter telomeres correlate with worse outcomes, not that Covid saps out the telomeres in random cells in your body. What would even be the mechanism for it stealing telomeres from unaffected cells?

Okay that's kind of what I figured. It's worth noting that diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and a whole bunch of other factors can cause shortening telomeres. It's perfectly reasonable that causality goes shortened telomeres (associated with a bunch of risk factors) leads to more severe outcomes.

edit: and the article talks about how shortened telomeres hamper the body's ability to recover and regenerate after COVID-19 infection.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 27, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Wang Commander posted:

That chart is a prime example of correlation vs. causation. There is a correlation between shorter telomeres and worse COVID cases. This does not imply that the COVID caused the telomeres to shorten. The telomeres were not measured prior to the patients acquiring COVID nor were they measured at different time points during the infection, so we have no way of judging if the disease itself had any impact or if it was entirely a preexisting condition.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

this seems really, really, really good?

Wang Commander posted:

Vaccinations

Cases

Deaths

And the anecdotal evidence of half a dozen cases so far among double vaxed patients is sore throat and rhinorrhea, otherwise fine.

My triple vaxed 65F tested positive with zero symptoms.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

brugroffil posted:

That was last updated almost a year ago.

I don't know why but I've started noticing artefacts from specific times in the pandemic all over the place lately. My favourite is the government-issued notice taped to the counter at my closest liquor store which says something like "Do not enter the premises if you have been in China, South Korea or Iran in the past 14 days." But not Italy. You could probably pinpoint down to the precise day in February 2020 when that was printed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz the Horse posted:

it might be helpful to link the study you're asking about

There is no study, he just posts wild stuff all the time then asks people to disprove it.

Wang Commander posted:

The only magic words here are "Marek's disease but for people" pretty much

Wang Commander posted:

We're seeing R estimates up to 36

Wang Commander posted:

We also know from the lab that Spike can evolve to bind ACE2 so strongly that immune response becomes irrelevant and the only way out is either being born with a mutant ACE2 or gene therapy.

Wang Commander posted:

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1470109244011827205
Not suggesting this is the cause of car accidents and this guy did die of covid but man, still creepy coincidence.

Wang Commander posted:

The last coronavirus iirc took 20,000 years to "attenuate" via selection pressure... On humans

Wang Commander posted:

We've seen young healthy people get Parkinson's within a year of getting this, no one should want a repeat of the loving sleepy sickness just so we can mindlessly consume treats.

etc

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

MadJackal posted:

And the anecdotal evidence of half a dozen cases so far among double vaxed patients is sore throat and rhinorrhea, otherwise fine.

I've heard a lot of anecdotes like this from hcw but then we have the MRI guy talking about the hospital filling up with double vaxxed, hoping he's just unlucky

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I knew that relative telomere age chart was going to cause problems when I saw it posted

I follow r/nursing and apparently a big problem with ERs right now is that people are flooding in the second they're notified of an exposure and demanding treatment

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MadJackal posted:

Vaccinations

Cases

Deaths

What are the hospitalizations at in New York City?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Tiny Timbs posted:

I knew that relative telomere age chart was going to cause problems when I saw it posted

I follow r/nursing and apparently a big problem with ERs right now is that people are flooding in the second they're notified of an exposure and demanding treatment

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1475459017480810497

Found it again for reference

Michael Penis
Dec 15, 2021

by sebmojo

Wang Commander posted:

I've heard a lot of anecdotes like this from hcw but then we have the MRI guy talking about the hospital filling up with double vaxxed, hoping he's just unlucky

Quick question, did you actually get 20-30 booster shots

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Michael Penis posted:

Quick question, did you actually get 20-30 booster shots

Did you register just to ask me this? Press/scientific inquiries via pm only please.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The improved breadth/avidity of antibodies post-booster, in addition to simply increased antibody concentration, is well in-line with all the other literature, and is definitely good.

I wouldn't put much value in those VE% figures, though. For one, I have no idea where he is getting them. The paper he links doesn't really have anything to do with it, and doesn't even involve vaccines--it's just a paper demonstrating that antibody maturation produces antibodies that are better at neutralizing omicron. Probably he is trying to estimate VE based on neutralization titers, which, while there are some papers providing estimates along those lines, is extremely rough way of estimating VE, with huge error bars, relying on lots of assumptions based on older (pre-omicron) data. Apart from that, VE of 75% against symptomatic illness doesn't look very compatible with epidemiological data so far.

Finally, and unfortunately, we should keep in mind that the efficacy of boosters seems to wane more or less as rapidly as 2nd shot VE did. That is where the antibody maturation process becomes both good and bad news, imo. If the efficacy of boosters was purely due to quantitatively higher antibody concentrations--that would in some sense actually be good news, since you can keep boosting antibodies to high concentrations indefinitely (in principle). Otoh, if the efficacy of boosters vs. omicron is in large part due to some qualitative improvement in antibodies (breadth, avidity, etc.), that's in some ways kind of bad news, because that's not a trick our immune system can play indefinitely if the virus continues to evolve against a backdrop of selective pressure by nAbs

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

There are gigantic differences between outpatient office COVID symptomatic +/- tests, ED visits for positive COVID tests (which for radiology techs might be overwhelming depending on how gung-ho ED docs are in each hospital), actual inpatient admissions, and ICU upgrades. "The hospital" filling up could mean a backlog of ED docs ordering CT chests on every single COVID positive who walks in the door. They like to go Tube of Truth on everything because of the whole "lose your license if you miss something" thing.

Also MRIs aren't used to diagnose COVID. A basic chest Xray showing bilateral ground glass opacities is enough to diagnose / get a handle on how screwed a COVID patient is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

You can tell this is a good study because the whole methodology is drawing a single straight line. The study contains no actual children, and the default for a covid free child (the blue graph) is to be aged TWENTY years by not getting covid.

Also covid deages anyone over about 70.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisCEOHopson/status/1475540067187834886

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can tell this is a good study because the whole methodology is drawing a single straight line. The study contains no actual children, and the default for a covid free child (the blue graph) is to be aged TWENTY years by not getting covid.

Lmao I was just going to point out that they lacked data from the COVID individuals prior to their contracting the disease but turns out the study was even dumber than I thought.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Wang Commander posted:

yes that is literally what is happening, exactly

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

We finally found the way to attain eternal youth, with a certain definition of youth.
That eponymous fountain would be kind of a copout if it would just let you stay at age 70...

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
also re: the Biden “There is no federal solution. This gets solved at a state level.” tweet, it's literally a right-wing account plucking a short bit out of context. What that quote actually is, is Biden complimenting governors on a phone call after they compliment actions taken by the White House.

https://twitter.com/Amanda_Kerri/status/1475573771587174409

https://twitter.com/CMargaronis/status/1475554746073190400

If you listen to the full context, what's happening is Biden is on a phone call with several governors. The first couple of minutes are a lot of rear end-kissing by one of the governors. Then Biden responds with some compliments back. The “There is no federal solution. This gets solved at a state level.” quote is not Biden declaring the federal government can't/won't do poo poo and is leaving it to the states, he's replying directly to a governor who just finished sucking up to him. He's schmoozing with governors on a phone call, they're complimenting the White House, he's complimenthing them back on their responses. Then Biden launches into talking details about how they're trying to improve testing and sending military personnel (federal actions) etc.

Look I think the Biden admin has been fairly poo poo at pandemic response, but it's useful to consider context and what twitter accounts you're boosting when you repost and respond to ragebait tweets.

edit: like, the @beingrealmac account that is being retweeted with the short Biden quote is a right-wing anti-masker, anti-vaxx, transphobe etc.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 27, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fritz the Horse posted:

also re: the Biden “There is no federal solution. This gets solved at a state level.” tweet, it's literally a right-wing account plucking a short bit out of context.

I'm shocked, shocked, to find that gambling is going on in here.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Fritz the Horse posted:

also re: the Biden “There is no federal solution. This gets solved at a state level.” tweet, it's literally a right-wing account plucking a short bit out of context. What that quote actually is, is Biden complimenting governors on a phone call after they compliment actions taken by the White House.

https://twitter.com/Amanda_Kerri/status/1475573771587174409

https://twitter.com/CMargaronis/status/1475554746073190400

If you listen to the full context, what's happening is Biden is on a phone call with several governors. The first couple of minutes are a lot of rear end-kissing by one of the governors. Then Biden responds with some compliments back. The “There is no federal solution. This gets solved at a state level.” quote is not Biden declaring the federal government can't/won't do poo poo and is leaving it to the states, he's replying directly to a governor who just finished sucking up to him. He's schmoozing with governors on a phone call, they're complimenting the White House, he's complimenthing them back on their responses. Then Biden launches into talking details about how they're trying to improve testing and sending military personnel (federal actions) etc.

Look I think the Biden admin has been fairly poo poo at pandemic response, but it's useful to consider context and what twitter accounts you're boosting when you repost and respond to ragebait tweets.

edit: like, the @beingrealmac account that is being retweeted with the short Biden quote is a right-wing anti-masker, anti-vaxx, transphobe etc.

I know Amanda Kerri in real life, and may I say lmao at her tweets being posted here.
Just lmao.

She's great in person, but not an authority on ANYTHING political.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/12/27/cdc-reduces-isolation-time-for-people-with-covid-to-5-days/

quote:

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — U.S. health officials on Monday cut isolation restrictions for Americans who catch the coronavirus from 10 to five days, and similarly shortened the time that close contacts need to quarantine.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials said the guidance is in keeping with growing evidence that people with the coronavirus are most infectious in the two days before and three days after symptoms develop.

The decision also was driven by a recent surge in COVID-19 cases, propelled by the Omicron variant.

Early research suggests omicron may cause milder illnesses than earlier versions of the coronavirus. But the sheer number of people becoming infected — and therefore having to isolate or quarantine — threatens to crush the ability of hospitals, airlines and other businesses to stay open, experts say.

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said the country is about to see a lot of Omicron cases.

“Not all of those cases are going to be severe. In fact many are going to be asymptomatic,” she told The Associated Press on Monday. “We want to make sure there is a mechanism by which we can safely continue to keep society functioning while following the science.”

What a complete loving disgrace

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One of my friends just told me he's had 5 shots. The original two back in January somehow. Then over the summer he wanted to travel somewhere internationally for vacation so he lied to Walgreens and told them he was unvaxxed and got two more, then he just got the booster right before Christmas.

I'm trying to comprehend being worried enough about breakthroughs to get a third and fourth(!!) shot to party it up and Brazil or whatever, but not worried enough to ya know not do the international suck and gently caress.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Keeping society functioning by helping covid spread even faster, very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

If the infection is milder and everyone is getting it anyways then this seems fairly practical. We need to keep society running, after all.