Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weird that this argument is coming right after the talk of Tienamen Square.

Most other authoritarian governments around the world seem to have been hit real hard by the pandemic, so it's not really civil liberties screwing things up. The US in its first year of the pandemic had to deal with a chief executive actively sabotaging things and refusing plans to provide masks or tests while the states and congress did their best to fight, while now that we have a responsible chief executive, the politically opposed states are holding out and doing their best to kill people, so a federalized system with (relative) political diversity helped and hurt.

I hear Taiwan has responded pretty well to the pandemic and built a pretty good tracking system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

MikeC posted:

bolded and italicized - my emphasis

I am actually glad our governments here in the west do not strip whatever civil liberties we have in order to combat a disease that isn't some extinction-level event. We had a shot back in early 2020 to kill Covid in the crib, but we failed and even countries with high levels of PHI compliance like South Korea and Singapore failed to stop it in its tracks due to international travel - a necessity in our global economy. But if you think what China is doing is cool and that level of authoritarianism is ok then by all means continue to do so. If you want to debate COVID policies and think the entire world should emulate China, then I invite you to take it to the COVID thread? In the mean time, China will continue to fail with its policy especially given Omicrom.

So here in Taiwan we have zero covid, we also crushed, absolutely crushed, an outbreak while still at ~1% fully vaccinated or whatnot. Just with basic poo poo like masks and contact tracing and no indoor dining.

People just don't want to do it, or have been told that any minor inconvenience is the gubbermint oppressing them. So 20mm people or so are dead worldwide.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

LimburgLimbo posted:

So here in Taiwan we have zero covid, we also crushed, absolutely crushed, an outbreak while still at ~1% fully vaccinated or whatnot. Just with basic poo poo like masks and contact tracing and no indoor dining.

People just don't want to do it, or have been told that any minor inconvenience is the gubbermint oppressing them. So 20mm people or so are dead worldwide.

So this is exactly what I am talking about. The Taiwanese populace was willing to follow PHIs. It is clear that the North American and European populations are not willing to comply, or at least a large enough segment that doesn't adhere to the measures to the exacting standards required and it would be political suicide to enact anything further such as mandatory vaccination or extended shutdowns of the economy. I would rather live in a political system where non-compliance exists rather than a police state which would rather weld the doors shut on people inside their own homes in order to enforce PHIs to chase COVID zero. A government that is accountable to no one other than its own party members and whatever internal factional struggles that go on behind the scenes.

Obviously, it should not be necessary to pick between these two extremes - but it is clear that we have to because of dumbfucks who refuse to wear a mask or get a vaccine. Most of the people ending up in ICUs or dying are those same dumbfucks anyways. Even on their deathbeds some of them are unrepentant. So unless you do martial law the moment one case pops up we gotta learn to live with it. And even with these super stringent lockdowns, the CCP can't keep COVID at zero either. So it's not like you are even trading "muh rights" for Covid Zero.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

A small island handled covid better than a massive nation with huge land borders? Shocking.

And maybe its extremely brave of me to say, but I'd rather have 3.5m dead. China is the most analogous nation to us when it comes to size and spread, and its absolutely ridiculous to claim that the only way they were able to handle the pandemic is because of spooky authoritarianism. China has functional governmental infrastructure. If they say they'll deliver you food, you comply because they will. America doesnt even bother to try because we all know that the government cannot provide for us. It sucks, and if you think that the only thing standing in the way of that is nonmasker idiots, you're selling yourself a fiction that justifies doing nothing.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MikeC posted:

So this is exactly what I am talking about. The Taiwanese populace was willing to follow PHIs. It is clear that the North American and European populations are not willing to comply, or at least a large enough segment that doesn't adhere to the measures to the exacting standards required and it would be political suicide to enact anything further such as mandatory vaccination or extended shutdowns of the economy. I would rather live in a political system where non-compliance exists rather than a police state which would rather weld the doors shut on people inside their own homes in order to enforce PHIs to chase COVID zero. A government that is accountable to no one other than its own party members and whatever internal factional struggles that go on behind the scenes.

Obviously, it should not be necessary to pick between these two extremes - but it is clear that we have to because of dumbfucks who refuse to wear a mask or get a vaccine. Most of the people ending up in ICUs or dying are those same dumbfucks anyways. Even on their deathbeds some of them are unrepentant. So unless you do martial law the moment one case pops up we gotta learn to live with it. And even with these super stringent lockdowns, the CCP can't keep COVID at zero either. So it's not like you are even trading "muh rights" for Covid Zero.

I genuinely can’t figure out what the idea is here. It sounds like you’re saying that Taiwan enacting strict anti-COVID isn’t authoritarian because the people accept it—but China doing the same thing is bad? Why? Is it because the Chinese people reject it, unlike the Taiwanese, but have no choice but to comply? Is there any evidence of this? It would make sense if you were saying you thought Taiwan’s approach, while strict, was more measured and represented an ideal political system where compliance exists without a police state—but then you go out of your way to reject that in favor a saying it’s an inescapable dichotomy!

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
From the very beginning basically all western countries had the strategy of reducing the amount of cases to a degree that the health system could handle and all of them were largely successful at this (some notable temporary exceptions, especially in the beginning). Corona is seen as a disease that would most likely recur in waves similar to the flu and once enough people had immunity could be managed the same way. Zero Covid was never on the table and it is highly doubtful that it would have been possible politically and socially.

China had a different approach and was highly successful as well. Though the question remains what the end game is here. Wait until an effective vaccine or treatment is found (and hope that you can keep up with mutations)? Keep up local temporary lockdowns forever? A combination of these?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah China's initial (local) response was a disaster, the subsequent national response has been extremely effective, the question now is how and when to transition away from Covid measures when its endemic to the planet and even high vaccination rates dont provide herd immunity.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Yeah China's initial (local) response was a disaster, the subsequent national response has been extremely effective, the question now is how and when to transition away from Covid measures when its endemic to the planet and even high vaccination rates dont provide herd immunity.

That's certainly a question for us, but I don't really see a pressing need for China to transition from a strategy that so far has proven extremely effective and minimally disruptive to their citizenry at large

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I imagine what will happen is China continues to quarantine until the rest of the world figures out how to stop spreading a deadly virus, which leaves 1.4 billion fewer hosts for the virus to mutate from which will be good for the world in general.

Either the the problem-nations in the west figure out how a shutdown actually works & vaccine patents are lifted to aid the global south, or Zero Covid just becomes the norm and China continues to devise ways to maintain trade with other nations without getting everyone killed. Maybe the virus suddenly and idealistically mutates a dominant strain that kills nobody and infects everyone, I'm personally skeptical!

As was mentioned before, I think comparing China (landlocked massively population-dense country which relies on global industry and was the epicenter of the virus) to a Taiwan or New Zealand (island states that were able to shape their COVID policy in reaction) is a little disingenuous. I dont personally see a way in which China, by the time the virus was identified, was going to stamp it out without severe lockdown measures. In fact I think we're witnessing what a more à la carte policy would have accomplished, in the United States.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 26, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think its also worth reiterating that the 'welding people into apartment blocks and leaving them to die' reports were from the 'poo poo poo poo poo poo we hosed it' Wuhan phase of the outbreak and not anything remotely like national policy.

E: if we want to go after bad covid policy then its more fruitful to look at Japan, which mysteriously had virtually no covid until after the 2020 summer games, at which point reported cases matched global trends, or Russia which was also suspiciously free while simultaneously suffering tens of thousands of pneumonia related excess deaths.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 26, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MikeC posted:

i mean, by and large the chinese populace is willing to follow the rules too. especially after the initial wave in early 2020, there's pretty minimal resistance to masking, lockdowns, vaccinations, testing, etc. i'm glad i live in a country that felt like appropriate measures to save millions of lives were worth whatever political blowback happened to the leaders. you realize here that what you're saying is you wish more chinese citizens had died?

it's also bullshit that you came in to the thread this time specifically to talk about how bad you think china's covid policies are, and when you encountered the slightest pushback you told the other guy to talk it to the covid thread.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 26, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

You're assuming that they haven't been lying their asses off about their numbers.

They weren't then or they'd be lying now.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Ignoring Covid and letting it spread isn't viable. There's about 16,000 ICU beds left in the US, in the entire country, and when all the beds are full , that's it. Anyone who has a heart attack, or a stroke or a bad accident over the next month is looking at long wait times to be treated, and the staff are still burnt out from the Delta wave.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Ghetto Prince posted:

Ignoring Covid and letting it spread isn't viable. There's about 16,000 ICU beds left in the US, in the entire country,

Do you have a source for that? Not to score internet points here, to score internet points elsewhere where I argue with "hurf durf just let it burn itself out" chucklefucks.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Daduzi posted:

Do you have a source for that? Not to score internet points here, to score internet points elsewhere where I argue with "hurf durf just let it burn itself out" chucklefucks.

https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-utilization

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

A big flaming stink posted:

That's certainly a question for us, but I don't really see a pressing need for China to transition from a strategy that so far has proven extremely effective and minimally disruptive to their citizenry at large

They've moved back from some public missteps in the beginning and/or done what was necessary to make them not public in a damaging way, so there's always been some sort of transition. I guess the latest phase is to learn how they intend to use strict containment tools and how well it will function versus loose, quasi-manageable republics.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ghetto Prince posted:

Ignoring Covid and letting it spread isn't viable. There's about 16,000 ICU beds left in the US, in the entire country, and when all the beds are full , that's it.

Probably important to provide context since saying there's only 16,000 ICU beds seems really bad/low, but there's about 80,000 ICU beds, so about 25% of capacity available with that 16,000.

Not that I disagree with the general though, since the US is handling Covid like a lovely clusterfuck and somehow worse than Trump, and it's going to be a lot worse in January once the Christmas Super Spread results start coming in.

Edit: And having only 25% capacity is still not good, since about 20% is Covid and we'd probably be at somewhere in the 50-55% otherwise.

Ghetto Prince posted:

Anyone who has a heart attack, or a stroke or a bad accident over the next month is looking at long wait times to be treated, and the staff are still burnt out from the Delta wave.
Back during Summer 2020, a lot of states activated crisis care triage standards, and I believe some states still have it active, and it seems likely many wouldn't hesitate to activate it again. So while it would be bad for serious non-Covid issues, someone who has a heart attack/stroke/etc., would get higher prioritization over someone with Covid, flu, etc..

It really sucks, but, everyone knows, :USA:

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 27, 2021

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

eSports Chaebol posted:

I genuinely can’t figure out what the idea is here. It sounds like you’re saying that Taiwan enacting strict anti-COVID isn’t authoritarian because the people accept it—but China doing the same thing is bad? Why? Is it because the Chinese people reject it, unlike the Taiwanese, but have no choice but to comply? Is there any evidence of this? It would make sense if you were saying you thought Taiwan’s approach, while strict, was more measured and represented an ideal political system where compliance exists without a police state—but then you go out of your way to reject that in favor a saying it’s an inescapable dichotomy!

How did I reject Taiwan's approach? I was lamenting that we dumbfucks in the West couldn't get with the program early on and were forced into lockdown as a reasonable PHI. The two extremes are either do nothing or chase covid zero regardless of cost. Taiwan chose the middle path, got mass compliance and were rewarded with it.

fart simpson posted:

i mean, by and large the chinese populace is willing to follow the rules too. especially after the initial wave in early 2020, there's pretty minimal resistance to masking, lockdowns, vaccinations, testing, etc. i'm glad i live in a country that felt like appropriate measures to save millions of lives were worth whatever political blowback happened to the leaders. you realize here that what you're saying is you wish more chinese citizens had died?

it's also bullshit that you came in to the thread this time specifically to talk about how bad you think china's covid policies are, and when you encountered the slightest pushback you told the other guy to talk it to the covid thread.

You are saying welding people shut into their homes is an "appropriate measure?" Having checkpoints on all exits and around the cities to make sure no one leaves their home for any reason is an "appropriate measure"? Lightning blitz lockdowns with almost no warning to the general populace resulting in people stuck in their homes with insufficient food while they wait out their 2 days before they are allowed outside for their necessities is an "appropriate measure"? I guess so if you are an authoritarian government that doesn't give two shits amirite?

Also I was responding to this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3466532&pagenumber=629&perpage=40#post520215201. Specifically commenting on how COVID zero isn't a feasible possibility for most countries and how they have abandoned them but China continues to try to play whack a mole with no judgment on whether the policies the CCP has are or are not bullshit exactly because I wasn't intending to start a COVID slap fight in a China thread. Idiot responds and decides to make it about that topic anyways though so down the rabbit hole we go.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

MikeC posted:

You are saying welding people shut into their homes is an "appropriate measure?" Having checkpoints on all exits and around the cities to make sure no one leaves their home for any reason is an "appropriate measure"? Lightning blitz lockdowns with almost no warning to the general populace resulting in people stuck in their homes with insufficient food while they wait out their 2 days before they are allowed outside for their necessities is an "appropriate measure"? I guess so if you are an authoritarian government that doesn't give two shits amirite?

How common does something have to be before it makes sense as a criticism of something much larger? You get to a point, where you're using single incidents or otherwise very rare things where you're demanding absolute perfection that no country or government lives up to, then all perspectives become valid, and things get nuts.

None of that was even remotely the normal experience for Chinese people during the lockdowns. Chinas huge and some places gently caress up (like they shot that woman's pet) but it's thousands of local governments and one and a half billion people.

In Henan we've never gotten welded in our homes, we did have checkpoints and all that but we have always had ways to get food (even if that was sometimes a donated sack of potatoes or a volunteer shopper) and this was probably the experience for 99.999% of people in China.

That's why reporting on China is so bad, there's an insane amount of attention on very rare instances and no attention on the bigger things that actually matter in China.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The whole welding people in their homes poo poo never saw any actual reporting outside of reactions to the videos, too, so its funny how heavily MikeC seems to be relying on it. Most of the detail I've been able to find seems to come to the conclusion that it was overactive and paranoid groups of citizens or local authorities doing it, considering that a guy is yelling how illegal it is in one video. I'd really love some proof that this was even a local policy, instead of a couple incidents, at best.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The welding people in their homes thing was always bullshit, afaik there is a single video of it that is almost certainly out of context. Also it doesn’t even really make sense if you think about it for a second.

EFB

Starks fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 27, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Recall that SARS had a CFR of ~10% with hospitalization. At those rates, uncontrolled spread would be a country-destroying disaster. The harshness of policies from early 2020 when the virus was not yet well understood must be judged in that context.

China aside, humanity as a whole has been massively fortunate that we did not get a virus with the stealthy incubation and transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 and yet the mortality of SARS-CoV-1 or MERS-CoV. The dramatic fevers caused by SARS-CoV-1 - the reason why a swathe of the Asia-Pacific countries have armouries of crowd temperature scanners just waiting in storage - was the main reason it could be plausibly intercepted without mass lockdowns. But it was apparent very early on that SARS-CoV-2 did not reliably generate such fevers.

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 27, 2021

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Varinn posted:

The whole welding people in their homes poo poo never saw any actual reporting outside of reactions to the videos, too, so its funny how heavily MikeC seems to be relying on it. Most of the detail I've been able to find seems to come to the conclusion that it was overactive and paranoid groups of citizens or local authorities doing it, considering that a guy is yelling how illegal it is in one video. I'd really love some proof that this was even a local policy, instead of a couple incidents, at best.

Maybe we should ask Peng Shuai? I am sure she can vouch for how it was all just a misunderstanding. Oh, that's right, we really have no idea how prevalent it is or wasn't because they censor the bloody press don't they, and they have armies of people deleting poo poo off their social media nets. Maybe that's why no one trusts the statistics coming out of China. 100% poo poo wasn't the defacto policy. But the fact that it happened is still insane.

Maybe stories like this is all CIA-inspired propaganda? https://www.ft.com/content/7ed987cb-195e-4f53-bd86-2b21277f6a27 Or maybe China just doesn't trust its own population to do the right thing and will apply draconian measures regardless of how much it fucks people over?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Feels like a lot of words to say that you couldn't find anything actually substantiating your claims about the welding people in their homes policy!

The FT article was an interesting read, but I thought this WSJ article was a little more in-depth: https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-lockdown-exposes-fragility-in-aging-chinese-city-11612353618

The struggle of locking down a city with an overly large elderly population overwhelmed the local authorities, but it sounds like they were eventually able to get human logistic support from outside the city to supplement. Another example of the system straining, but not breaking, under the "authoritarian" pandemic protocols, and leaving countless more people alive than dead. Imagine having the kind of infrastructure!

I think whats happening to Peng is awful, but I'm frankly baffled as to why you would invoke the coverup of a rape in a discussion of COVID policy. I think governments across the globe have proven that you can both have callous views about that AND have poor pandemic responses.

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 27, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
The door welding isn't really plausibly disputed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlKtfBXGJQM

Lots of reports of other cities welding returning migrant workers from Wuhan as well

See my previous remark though...

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

No one denies that videos exist, but is there any reporting on them as not separate incidents and instead actual local or national covid policy?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems like the sort of thing that maybe some local or regional government might do as part of the panicked response and not exactly representative of the whole country, but also the sort of thing that there would never be public acknowledgement of by the national government of China whether there was an internal investigation or not. It's not like they have any obligation to be open or accountable.

The only other big things I remember about the PRC dealing with the pandemic badly was how they were trying to stifle word getting out about the epidemic at the beginning and Sinovac turned out to be much less effective than their claims were.

SourKraut posted:

Not that I disagree with the general though, since the US is handling Covid like a lovely clusterfuck and somehow worse than Trump, and it's going to be a lot worse in January once the Christmas Super Spread results start coming in.

I know people wanna doombrain, but things are definitely getting better and we're at 61% totally vaccinated, and 73% at least partial, and for reference that's while now 87% of the US is eligible for vaccines. It's only a small minority really holding out. We also have reliable non-sabotaged testing.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Depends how literally one takes "封城、封村、封路、封小区、封家、封门" as an exhortation, I suppose

This being China, here is a after-action criticism in China that acknowledges that some... regrettable... local interpretation enacted by local officials may have existed:

quote:

五、治理手段:

宁左勿右,简单粗暴

在疫情防控中,武汉等形势严峻地区采取封城、封路等措施可以理解,但一些疫情比较平稳的地方“一刀切”式使出封字诀,封村、封路、封小区、封门……甚至在中央强调要求统筹做好疫情防控与经济社会秩序恢复后,仍有不少地方一封了之,影响群众生活、企业复工。

网上曾接连爆出各地强制封路限行造成一些人有家不能回、在路上流浪十几天的极端案例。孙女士向半月谈记者反映,她从一个地级市开私家车回老家农村,本人体温正常,也无湖北接触史,但由于道路封堵进不了,返程时高速口封闭下不去,被困在路上。

有的地方出台“外地人没房产不准回小区居住”等规定,导致一些租房客回不了城。一些租房客表示,本想尽快投入工作甚至参与防控物资生产,但一纸禁令让他们回不了城。

“我们自己的车出不去,外地的车也进不来,每天摘1000斤左右的草莓急等着卖也没有人来收。”安徽省合肥市包河区大圩镇一位草莓种植大户说,自己种了20亩的鲜草莓,正月正值草莓上市销售关键时期,如果出村回来要被隔离14天,外地车辆也得隔离14天,这一季大概率是要赔本了。

某农业大县的蔬菜行业协会理事长说,蔬菜基地分布在不同乡镇,只要不是本村人,车子跟人都进不去。“工人雇不到,蔬菜运不出,菜烂在地里,城里的经销商急得跳脚,菜农急得掉眼泪。”

目前,交通运输部已出台“一断三不断”原则(坚决阻断病毒传播渠道,保障公路交通网络不断、应急运输“绿色通道”不断、必要的群众生产生活物资运输通道不断),各地物流问题得到缓解。但半月谈记者采访了解到,有的地方政策落实并不理想。

有企业负责人反映,内蒙古、河北等地部分牧场出现原辅料供应不足难题,奶牛日常生存难以为继。主要原因有三:一是对饲料运输等车辆虽然不拦,但需要通行证,而“通行证要村乡县三级审批”;二是各级政策执行标准不一致,有些乡镇对省里通行证和保供证明不认可,只听从当地指令;三是司机进出得执行14天隔离政策。

有基层群众反映:“防疫安全是要保证,但不能简单粗暴,我们各方面都没问题,你还不让我们进出,那叫懒政,那叫治理无能。”对此,不少基层干部也感到委屈:“疫情防控,责任如山,我们如果有更好的办法,何至于此?”

除了封字诀,各地防疫中还出现了一些粗暴野蛮的做法,如有人在自己家里打麻将被防疫人员扇耳光,有人在空旷农田劳作未戴口罩遭防疫人员殴打,有人下楼遛狗结果狗被防疫人员打死……这些极端案例虽然没有普遍性,但也是基层治理缺乏柔性手段、法治思维的体现。

专家认为,无论是日常管理还是应急管理,都要综合施策,坚持自治、法治、德治相结合,此次疫情防控中简单粗暴的方式层出不穷,暴露出基层治理办法不多、资源不足的困境。

quote:

5. Governance measures:

Rather than right, simple and rude

In the prevention and control of the epidemic, it is understandable that Wuhan and other severe areas have adopted measures such as city closures and road closures. However, in some places where the epidemic situation is relatively stable, the "one size fits all" approach is used to seal villages, roads, communities, and doors... …Even after the central government emphasized the need to coordinate the prevention and control of the epidemic and the restoration of economic and social order, many places still wrote about it, affecting the lives of the people and the resumption of work.

On the Internet, there have been a series of extreme cases of forced road closures and traffic restrictions in various places, causing some people to be unable to return to their homes and wandering on the road for more than ten days. Ms. Sun told the reporter of Banyue Tan that she drove a private car from a prefecture-level city back to her home village. Her body temperature was normal and she had no history of contact with Hubei. On the way.

In some places, regulations such as "Foreigners are not allowed to live in the community without real estate" have caused some tenants to be unable to return to the city. Some tenants said that they wanted to work as soon as possible and even participate in the production of prevention and control materials, but a ban prevented them from returning to the city.

<Announcement prohibiting outsiders from entering the community>

"We can't get out of our own car, nor can we get in from other places. We pick about 1,000 kilograms of strawberries every day and wait to sell them, but no one comes to collect them." A large strawberry grower in Daxu Town, Baohe District, Hefei City, Anhui Province I said that I planted 20 acres of fresh strawberries. The first month is the critical period for strawberry sales. If I come back from the village and have to be quarantined for 14 days, and vehicles from other places must be quarantined for 14 days, there is a high probability that this season will lose money.

The chairman of the vegetable industry association of a large agricultural county said that the vegetable bases are located in different towns and towns, and as long as they are not from the village, cars and people cannot get in. "Workers can't be hired, vegetables can't be shipped, vegetables are rotten in the ground, dealers in the city jumped anxiously, vegetable farmers shed tears in eagerness."

At present, the Ministry of Transport has issued the principle of "one stop and three continuous" (resolutely block the virus transmission channel, ensure the continuous road transportation network, the continuous "green channel" of emergency transportation, and the continuous transportation of necessary mass production and living materials), and the logistics problems in various regions Be relieved. However, during interviews with reporters from Banyue Tan, we learned that the implementation of some local policies is not ideal.

<Ministry of Transport denouncing the ad hoc road closures>

Some business leaders reported that some ranches in Inner Mongolia, Hebei and other places have insufficient supply of raw and auxiliary materials, and it is difficult for dairy cows to survive daily. There are three main reasons: one is that although feed transportation and other vehicles are not blocked, a pass is required, and "the pass needs to be approved at the three levels of villages, towns and counties"; the other is that the implementation standards of policies at all levels are inconsistent, and some towns and towns have a pass and guarantee certificate for the province. They don’t approve, and only follow local instructions; third, drivers have to implement a 14-day quarantine policy when entering and exiting.

Some people at the grassroots level said: "Epidemic prevention and safety must be guaranteed, but it cannot be simple and rude. We have no problem in all aspects. If you do not let us in and out, that is called lazy governance, and that is called incompetent governance." In this regard, many grassroots cadres also Feeling aggrieved: "The responsibilities for the prevention and control of the epidemic are like mountains. If we have a better way, why are we here?"

In addition to the word seal formula, some rough and barbarous practices have also appeared in the epidemic prevention in various places. For example, some people play mahjong in their homes and are slapped by the epidemic prevention personnel, some are working in the open farmland without wearing a mask and are beaten by the epidemic prevention personnel, and some go downstairs to walk the dog and result in the dog. Killed by epidemic prevention personnel... Although these extreme cases are not universal, they are also a manifestation of the lack of flexible means of grassroots governance and the rule of law thinking.

Experts believe that whether it is daily management or emergency management, it is necessary to implement comprehensive policies and adhere to the combination of autonomy, rule of law, and rule of morality. Simple and rude methods in the prevention and control of the epidemic have emerged one after another, exposing the dilemma of not many grassroots governance methods and insufficient resources.

Xinhua: http://www.xinhuanet.com/2020-02/22/c_1125611271.htm

Or from a non-media source, some random minutes from the Third Session of the 13th CPPCC National Committee: http://www.cppcc.gov.cn/zxww/2020/02/21/ARTI1582249272308186.shtml back in mid 2020:

quote:

陈萌山:应迅速纠正过度防疫措施

湖北、武汉的疫情防控措施迅速升级,这是补课,也是必要的。但是,到基层落实时,层层加码,有的从封村、封小区、封路到封家、封门,有的村干部将大木头将农户大门从外面封死,家庭成员居家娱乐也被禁止。有的地方纷纷效仿湖北做法。一些过激的行为,引起老百姓的反感,形成不可忽视的社会经济成本。。。

quote:

Chen Mengshan: Excessive epidemic prevention measures should be quickly corrected

The epidemic prevention and control measures in Hubei and Wuhan are rapidly escalating. This is a make-up lesson and a necessity. However, when it is implemented at the grassroots level, layers are added, some from closing the village, closing the community, closing the road to closing the home and closing the door, and some village cadres block the gate of the farmer from the outside with a large wood, and family members’ entertainment at home is also prohibited. . Some places have followed Hubei's practice. Some extreme behaviors arouse the disgust of the common people and form social and economic costs that cannot be ignored...

In China as in other countries, there are officials pushing to ease or tighten lockdowns; contemporary China is not totalitarian and there isn't One Allowed Opinion as such on most things

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 27, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Seems pretty in line with what I thought, yeah.

Fun anecdote: my mom lives in a small "town" (census designated place) outside of a major american city that sees a LOT of day tourists passing through on their way to hike/cycle/etc. Early on in the pandemic of a bunch of the locals got whipped up and literally stole road closed signs to adorn their barricade blocking the road into town. This caused a ton of problems and they had to be sternly reminded that it was mega illegal lol

beginning of the pandemic was wild

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Speaking as someone in red state America, the whole "welding people into their homes" thing is definitely a thing here. Just test positive for TB and maybe in a year you'll have all your """constitutional rights""" back lol

Like if you aren't compliant they will literally station state troopers outside of your boarded up home 24/7. Also no nation in history has imprisoned more of its people than our own

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Speaking as someone in red state America, the whole "welding people into their homes" thing is definitely a thing here. Just test positive for TB and maybe in a year you'll have all your """constitutional rights""" back lol

Like if you aren't compliant they will literally station state troopers outside of your boarded up home 24/7. Also no nation in history has imprisoned more of its people than our own

jfc I can't believe I need to explain this in D&D

You need to understand, when you detain someone to save lives, that's communism and it's bad.

When you imprison someone to make money, that's good and it's actually freedom.

It's not that hard, okay?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MikeC posted:

You are saying welding people shut into their homes is an "appropriate measure?"

not standard policy, it was just a few incidents very early on afaik and considering what was going on at the time? not really surprised and i can't really blame anyone. i do think forcing people to stay isolated was and sometimes remains appropriate policy, yes, although literally welding specifically is kinda nuts. you can't let people leave of their own choice, or the entire quarantine and lockdown system becomes performative bullshit and millions more people could die.

in my area of china, they put a paper seal on the outside of your door so if anyone opened the door before their quarantine period was up, all the neighbors would be alerted and contact the authorities. this made sense to me.

e: this was my next door neighbor's place when they came back from hubei province in march 2020:

MikeC posted:

Having checkpoints on all exits and around the cities to make sure no one leaves their home for any reason is an "appropriate measure"?

yes. as long as you provide and make sure people have the necessities to survive through it.

MikeC posted:

Lightning blitz lockdowns with almost no warning to the general populace resulting in people stuck in their homes with insufficient food while they wait out their 2 days before they are allowed outside for their necessities is an "appropriate measure"?

yes. as long as you provide and make sure people have the necessities to survive through it. do you have any examples where this turned out badly? my mother in law and some of my wife's cousins were stuck in this exact situation back in february 2020 and the neighborhood party organization brought food to their door, and i think this was the normal experience for people in it.

in my experience, covid zero and the associated policies are pretty darn popular in china among the actual people. all i can see here is you arguing that you wish millions of chinese people had died because the (extremely effective and popular) measures to contain the pandemic offend you.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 27, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Also no nation in history has imprisoned more of its people than our own

Proportionally you're still behind late-Stalin Soviet Union, that's still the highest rate known in modern history (and that's only really counting the GULAGs, though at the time they probably held most of prison population of the Soviet Union, so it's probably accurate enough to just count that)*. Though the high point of around 2010 or thereabouts was higher than the average for the GULAG period, and it might still be higher than the average by a little bit**.

*Soviet height would be around 1950, when the GULAGs are estimated to have held around 2.5 million people (not counting another 2.8 million people in "internal exile") out of a population of around 180 million, US prison population peaked in 2008 at 2.4 million out of 304 million.
**Average for the GULAG period appears to have been between 700 and 800 out of 100,000 people imprisoned, the 2008 US incarceration rate then would be at the high end of that average.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 27, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

What in the absolute gently caress are you talking about

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What in the absolute gently caress are you talking about

What happens if you test positive for tuberculosis in an American red state.

The cops will put you under effectively house arrest

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

TB is massively different from COVID. The bacillus can render you infectious for weeks or months, and is a bitch to cure.

And it's the public health service putting you in quarantine. The cops just enforce it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rust Martialis posted:

And it's the public health service putting you in quarantine. The cops just enforce it.

I mean I would assume that people in China aren't getting told to stay home by local party cadres alone, but possibly due to medical recommendation.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

TB is massively different from COVID. The bacillus can render you infectious for weeks or months, and is a bitch to cure.

I don't disagree with the response! Highly infectious diseases are extremely serious! I was merely providing context to gargoyle

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

A brief search does not pull up evidence of this having happened on any significant scale any time recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

A brief search does not pull up evidence of this having happened on any significant scale any time recently.

Check the ebola outbreak in Dallas Texas a few years ago.

'and, Jenkins said, finding a better living situation for Duncan’s partner Louise Troh and the three young men who had been placed under quarantine with her in the apartment. Law enforcement officers stood outside the door blocking the family’s exit from a home where they were forced to stay with linens stained with the sweat of a man infected with one of the most deadly diseases known to man.'

https://time.com/3474650/ebola-dallas-judge-jenkins/