Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

thats the sad part, he didnt even get cucked. he just had a crush on a woman on his security detail and then she hosed hojo, she didnt even know vincent existed

lmao. vincent ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cast Noel Fielding as Vincent for FF7R2 and just have him mope around being goth and sad the whole time

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well, except Vincent, who basically has no character arc. Even Yuffie has more of a character arc than him, which is weird considering Vincent is technically easier to recruit than she is.

Good thing they made Dirge of Cerberus to fix all that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

thats the sad part, he didnt even get cucked. he just had a crush on a woman on his security detail and then she hosed hojo, she didnt even know vincent existed

He's an incel.

Vincel.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Golden Goat posted:

Good thing they made Dirge of Cerberus to fix all that

Dirge of what now? Stop making up terrible FF7 spinoff games.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Late but unless something's changed you can't buy FFXIV or start the free trial right now until further notice

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 27, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know it's cool to hate on Vinny but Lucrecia clearly knew who he was.

As for his arc, it's pretty minor but I guess it would be him realizing he didn't do anything wrong. He blames himself for what happened to Lucrecia and even Sephiroth but if you confront Hojo with him at the end he understands it really wasn't his fault that this evil madman did evil madman poo poo.

Vincent looks he part of a Shadow or Magus but he's actually a very nice guy.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

He's an incel.

Vincel.

Turns out the true source of all his vampire abilities is the power of NoFap

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

dirge of cerberus getting its own FF7R dlc owns.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dirge of cerberus getting its own FF7R dlc owns.

Not only that but deepground is in the main game! Can't wait for more when we get Vincent himself!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where is the hidden monastery that will teach me to do those sick rear end Tifa combos in FF7R

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I know it's cool to hate on Vinny but Lucrecia clearly knew who he was.
dirge of cerberus makes it seem like they had a relationship but in ff7 it mostly feels like they were just coworkers on somewhat positive terms. she definitely knew him even in ff7 but it doesn't feel like she loved him exactly, more just trusted him. since he was her security detail that sort of relationship makes sense. i kind of like it.

im fine with most of the backstory details in dirge but im not a fan of the bit where she basically says she loved him. it being more on vincent's part is more interesting and fits with the game's theme of how people rewrite their own memories. i get that they didnt want to have vinny come across as a creep but i think you can walk the line where he's projecting a bit but still genuinely cared about her, and, well, his competition in this case is hojo so it's not hard to have him come across better.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

Cast Noel Fielding as Vincent for FF7R2 and just have him mope around being goth and sad the whole time

I mean sure but these days he's just a smiley guy with black hair.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

dirge of cerberus makes it seem like they had a relationship but in ff7 it mostly feels like they were just coworkers on somewhat positive terms. she definitely knew him even in ff7 but it doesn't feel like she loved him exactly, more just trusted him. since he was her security detail that sort of relationship makes sense. i kind of like it.

Yeah, that was my understanding as well.

quote:

im fine with most of the backstory details in dirge but im not a fan of the bit where she basically says she loved him. it being more on vincent's part is more interesting and fits with the game's theme of how people rewrite their own memories. i get that they didnt want to have vinny come across as a creep but i think you can walk the line where he's projecting a bit but still genuinely cared about her, and, well, his competition in this case is hojo so it's not hard to have him come across better.

My biggest problem was the addition of her having worked with his father, a single scene that exists just so she can also kill his father by accident. That adds a layer of melodrama that wasn't needed. I love me some melodrama, it's not inherently a bad word like some people think, but this just makes it look like any feelings she had for him was due to guilt or she kept her distance from him due to guilt. It was better when they were just colleagues and something horrible happened. It didn't need to be any deeper than that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the dad/chaos connections are stupid. frankly they feel like a way to make the connection deeper when like, its fine for it to just be a purely emotional thing, not based on anything but how people are.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Just got past Aerith's death again. The death reactions to me are still really interesting. Yuffie's being the strongest has always made me curious, not just because she's an optional party member, but again because of her straight up admitting she was just using the party and stealing their materia a couple of days earlier. Maybe she changed her mind a bit after they saved her from Don Corneo, but it's hard to imagine she was that close to the party. Though admittedly, it could just be that Yuffie is still a kid and this is the first time she's actually seen someone die. I know they shoved her into the Wutai war in Crisis Core but since I didn't play that game and I'm not exactly sure what happened, I guess it's possible she didn't actually see anyone die during the war.

Vincent's is interesting too because I feel like his reaction is the only one limited by the technology level of the game. He looks at Aerith for a moment, then at Cloud, then walks off. Vincent isn't the kind of person to callously dismiss her death, and the fact he looks at Cloud says a lot that he's thinking about how this will affect Cloud, but there's no way to know what kind of look he gave the two of them.

I'm not sure what to think of Cait Sith's. Personally I interpret it as Reeve screwing up and causing Cait to make the wrong gesture, and that's why he shuffles off looking embarrassed, but apparently other people think it's Cait trying to cheer Cloud up. That interpretation doesn't really make sense to me, Reeve knew how close Cloud and Aerith were, he's the one who gave them the fortune that they were a perfect match at the Temple of the Ancients. I can't imagine he's so dense that he thinks Cloud will smile or cheer up from a silly dance.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I like that they did something in general with Chaos and I hope the Remake continues to do something special with Chaos but the specific things they did with Chaos in DoC are not super great. Truly amazing how bad that game was.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope they kill Chaos.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mega64 posted:

I hope they kill Chaos.

i want to befriend chaos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not sure what to think of Cait Sith's. Personally I interpret it as Reeve screwing up and causing Cait to make the wrong gesture, and that's why he shuffles off looking embarrassed
i interpret it more as 'cait sith literally cant make any sad/emotional gestures.' its only functions are combat and spying. its cover was working at the gold saucer, so it can dance around and be goofy, but there's no reason he would have built it to be able to express negative emotions. even in the scene where the first cait sith dies its all 'ah, geez, guys, it was a lot of fun!!!'

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Endorph posted:

i interpret it more as 'cait sith literally cant make any sad/emotional gestures.' its only functions are combat and spying. its cover was working at the gold saucer, so it can dance around and be goofy, but there's no reason he would have built it to be able to express negative emotions. even in the scene where the first cait sith dies its all 'ah, geez, guys, it was a lot of fun!!!'

Interesting how this contrasts with Remake Cait Sith, where they go with the direction of having him pound his fist on the ground in visible frustration and despair upon witnessing the plate drop like fanart of a Sonic OC reacting to 9/11. Limitation of the PS1 graphics I guess

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Asterite34 posted:

Interesting how this contrasts with Remake Cait Sith, where they go with the direction of having him pound his fist on the ground in visible frustration and despair upon witnessing the plate drop like fanart of a Sonic OC reacting to 9/11. Limitation of the PS1 graphics I guess

I wonder what they intended for people to think or feel about that scene because I actually busted up laughing, it was honestly hard to believe what I was seeing. Like I could see it if (FF7 spoilers, and FF7r I guess) it was a shot of Reeve looking out at the plate drop, but the fuckin' cartoon cat? lmao

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They wanted people to see the cat and go "Hey I know that guy!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They wanted people to see the cat and go "Hey I know that guy!"

i knew him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think they wanted to give a pretty heavy story beat a bit of levity and while its an odd place to do that its completely in the spirit of the original considering cait does the exact same kind of thing when he comes back from dieing right as cloud starts hitting aerith

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

If there's one thing FF7 does in spades, it's awkward jarring clashes of tone, and Cait Sith embodies that better than anyone.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope Cait Sith dies in Part 2 and it is the most melodramatic thing imaginable.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Always happy to see that cat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

God i'm so excited for playable Cait Sith next game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

If there's one thing FF7 does in spades, it's awkward jarring clashes of tone, and Cait Sith embodies that better than anyone.

one of the things i feared about the remake is that they would remove the silly stuff in favor of making it a very serious story with little humor... very happy to see they kept the games spirit intact with plenty of humor and awkward moments involving Cloud and his social awkwardness in the remake

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i was worried theyd cut cait completely and just have reeve be a party member, glad they didnt go that route. i need hd cait sith.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm just playing through the remake now and I was so happy when Cloud finally high fived Aerith

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I interpreted the scene with the cat differently, actually. In the original we see Reeve protest what will happen to Sector 7 but nothing after that. So I figured they added the scene of Cait Sith as him trying to do something to prevent the atrocity and then being too late and going all drat IT ALL!

Watching VG play original FFVII, I think it's hard for a lot of new players to sympathize with Reeve and they wanted to add more to help with that.

Asterite34 posted:

I've pondered this a lot in the past. Pretty much every Square game of the 90s I played did this. FFVI's Ghost Train is entirely comical, with Sabin banging the table demanding ghost food. But then at the end Cyan sees his murdered wife and child going to the afterlife. In Xenogears we transition from a flying robot breaking down (complete with heroic music fading in a zany way) and becoming a hopping robot saving our heroes from certain death to our heroes being destroyed by the mysterious Red Gear and apparently all dying.

And it just kinda goes on like that, examples after example of tonal whiplash.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 28, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think a lot of people barely know Reeve exists if they're just familiar with the original game. I know in the original game when it was revealed that Cait was Reeve on my first playthrough, my reaction was "Who?" I think the last time you even see him is way back during the assault on the Shinra building to rescue Aerith where he talks about how much it will cost to rebuild Sector 7, and then his shock when the president says they're not rebuilding.

I know he gets an expanded role in DoC and a little bit of mention in Advent Children, so he probably sticks out a bit more in people's minds if they go back to 7, but for someone who knows nothing about the FF7 EU going in blind to the game, they probably won't even really take notice of him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the very first time i ever played final fantasy 7... all the way back in the early 00's. i had completely forgotten who reeve was and was really confused when cait sith's human identity was revealed and everyone acted like they knew who he was lmao.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 28, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

not gonna lie cait sith's death hit me harder than aeris's as a kid because they were treating him like he was disposable and no one gave a poo poo about him sacrificing himself, but he actually was an individual with a personality. hosed up

that said he still sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest detail in ff7 nobody notices is that cloud's mom's name is claudia

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Endorph posted:

the funniest detail in ff7 nobody notices is that cloud's mom's name is claudia

Claude Strife when?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

They don't tell you his mom's name in the original game or Crisis Core, apparently it only gets mentioned in FF7R.

The scene with his mom is kind of sad too, replaying it. When his mom goes "Oh is that a SOLDIER uniform?" and Cloud starts to say "Mom, I" right before it cuts off, since we know Cloud came back in a regular Shinra grunt uniform it's obvious that she didn't know Cloud failed to get into SOLDIER and he's just now having to tell her, though he's being prevented from remembering. Also how even she seems to think Cloud is kind of a fuckup who can't take care of himself which is why she's like "I think you need an older woman who will take care of you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Just did the coliseum bit earlier. Masterpiece.

"Skyward, as only a Manderville can!"