Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ola posted:

I parked outside yesterday and put the wipers in service mode, but they seemed to be retracted when I arrived to a pre-heated car this morning. It was early so I may have missed it, but do the wipers normally stay up indefinitely if you don't put it in D?

Yeah, they have for me. I've gone up to a week without driving in wintertime and the wipers stay up so long as I remember to set it in wiper service mode when I park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Just realized that with an EV not having waste heat from the engine, some parts of my car will just stay frozen for a couple of months...
Also really important to put in anti freeze for the window washer cause theres no engine to heat up the tank when you forget about it...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Probably a progression in tech as much as the drive train, but driving EVs in snow feels like cheating even if on non nordic winter tyres like Blizzaks. The smoothness of how EVs deliver power just makes it such a breeze. I do wish I could turn down the ESP etc on my ID.3 and have some fun, but for a normal drivers cars the system is pretty amazing at keeping the grip.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wish my TCS was more aggressive actually -- I wonder if it's tuned for ICE vehicles. Having all the torque at 0rpm makes it hard to modulate the pedal. Blizzaks would make it easy mode though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Polestar manual recommends turning down or off the regenerative braking in icy conditions, any idea why?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The Polestar manual recommends turning down or off the regenerative braking in icy conditions, any idea why?

Letting off the throttle in an "oh poo poo" moment can lock the rear wheels and send you spinning, although the anti-spin logic should fix that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Just realized that with an EV not having waste heat from the engine, some parts of my car will just stay frozen for a couple of months...
Also really important to put in anti freeze for the window washer cause theres no engine to heat up the tank when you forget about it...

Most washer fluid they sell up in the frozen north is rated to like -40C already. It'll still freeze to your windshield though, which makes me wonder how you defrost your windshield in an EV if you're using just the seat and wheel heaters? Do they have an embedded heating film in the glass? Or is there a little resistive heater or heat pump blower (depending on the model) that'll blow warm air up the glass like a regular car?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Finger Prince posted:

Most washer fluid they sell up in the frozen north is rated to like -40C already. It'll still freeze to your windshield though, which makes me wonder how you defrost your windshield in an EV if you're using just the seat and wheel heaters? Do they have an embedded heating film in the glass? Or is there a little resistive heater or heat pump blower (depending on the model) that'll blow warm air up the glass like a regular car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyZd4_2unFM

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Some have heating film in the windshield, it creates weird halo effects when driving an I-Pace in the dark for instance, but heating the cabin air is enough really. Which shows how much heat is lost through glass.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Waiting here in the Tesla showroom because my bank was dumb about transferring the loan, and of course the person who I have been in contact with is out for the day.

On the plus side the car looks great!

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Waiting here in the Tesla showroom because my bank was dumb about transferring the loan, and of course the person who I have been in contact with is out for the day.

On the plus side the car looks great!

Post pictures once you wrap up!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

I don't know how exactly but Polestar's window defrosters are extremely fast, moreso than my previous ICE car's. Leave it to a Scandinavian car to not give two shits about a bit of ice

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It is understandable but also mind blowing when we get questions about EV's about issues that are solved the exact same way or in a more efficient way in an electric. Yes, the EV will heat air with resistive heating or use waste heat to heat the inside of your windshield, or it has metal elements on the glass (also some have a fancier thing apparently).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Aino Minako posted:

Post pictures once you wrap up!

I would love to! But I guess I ended up some weird perfect storm of annoyances. The guy that was helping me through the loan is out today, and they had to still get approval for the wire transfer as well as my electronic signature. So I guess I’m gonna stick around for a bit longer. If I choose to go home Tesla said they’d just drive the car to my house when it’s all done so that’s cool

Edit: And Tesla wouldn’t accept a screenshot of the DocuSign of the transfer so that added some fun

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I would love to! But I guess I ended up some weird perfect storm of annoyances. The guy that was helping me through the loan is out today, and they had to still get approval for the wire transfer as well as my electronic signature. So I guess I’m gonna stick around for a bit longer. If I choose to go home Tesla said they’d just drive the car to my house when it’s all done so that’s cool

Edit: And Tesla wouldn’t accept a screenshot of the DocuSign of the transfer so that added some fun

Post pictures of the lobby you've been waiting in

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Electrek!

Even worse... It's a 120v hair dryer is connected straight to the battery pack. So accelerating causes the hairdryer to slow down due to voltage sag. The rest of the electronics are pretty innovative for the late 70s though. They custom built their own motor controller that does regen with a brushed DC motor.

This guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf_kV84T0oc3rl4dAff5OLw is restoring one with occasional help of one of the original engineers that helped design said vehicle.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

atomicpile posted:

It’s a cheap around town vehicle that I got really really cheap. Cheap being the key word here because it takes a lot to even get me to consider an off warranty German car.

One I got has a “range extender” which is a gasoline scooter motor under the trunk that does its best to maintain the charge of the battery when it gets low and isn’t connected to the wheels. Range extender is probably the least efficient way to do a hybrid. But it was really really cheap for a low mileage well equipped car. Can’t emphasize cheap enough because there’s no other way I’d even look at one no matter how nice it is otherwise.

I have a 60 mile round trip commute. No charger at work. Does that sound like too much for an old i3?

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Failson posted:

I have a 60 mile round trip commute. No charger at work. Does that sound like too much for an old i3?

With the range extender, no issue no matter the battery. With a 60ah battery (2016 and earlier) probably fine, but cold weather/driving conditions could put you close. You’ll need access to level two charging every night at least. For the 2017+ with the 94ah or 120ah battery you’d be fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why is amp hours used a unit of measurement vs kWh btw?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Good lord, I just got quoted $2800 to run wire 40 ft in a straight line outside my house and into the back of my garage to add a 14-50 outlet. Should I be looking at <$1000?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Good lord, I just got quoted $2800 to run wire 40 ft in a straight line outside my house and into the back of my garage to add a 14-50 outlet. Should I be looking at <$1000?

It depends a lot on where you are. Back in July, it was $1400 for me in Ohio for a similar run, but I had them use 60-amp wire so I could replace the breaker later on and put in a wall connector or another 48-amp charger if I want to.

I think the price of copper is still turbofucked (along with everything else?) which might contribute to your quote.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

how deep are they burying it, and what are they digging in.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Charles posted:

Because BMW.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MRC48B posted:

how deep are they burying it, and what are they digging in.

No burying, just running pvc conduit along the side of the house. They're asking $500 per 10ft + $900 base.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Are you running above ground conduit or asking that it be buried X feet? Are they just installing the outlet, or are they also installing a subpanel?

I would say more than $1000 but less than $2k for a 40 foot underground run to a single outlet, in my area.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Are you running above ground conduit or asking that it be buried X feet? Are they just installing the outlet, or are they also installing a subpanel?

I would say more than $1000 but less than $2k for a 40 foot underground run to a single outlet, in my area.

This'll probably be easier to interpret:

It's not underground, it's strapped to the siding/wall since it's around the back of the house and I'm not worried about looks (and I figured that'd save me a bunch of money).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Also remember you're bidding against everybody else on electrician labor. There's a global shortage of this right now, so expect prices to be high.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Charles posted:

Because BMW and because marketing didn’t want people to figure out how small the early model’s batteries are.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

So as soon as I got home from the showroom, the rep called and said the transfer cleared. I ate some lunch while the rep drove to my house, and he did a quick walkthrough of how everything works, then I accepted. I spent some time going through the settings, testing the wireless charger (which actually works with a Pro Max phone in a case!), and finally took it out on a drive.

Holy gently caress that’s a great car to drive. Everything feels so tight, acceleration is a blast, and Autopilot works great at least around the highway where I live. I’m thoroughly impressed!

Required pic:

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

testing the wireless charger (which actually works with a Pro Max phone in a case!)

Congrats! Could you tell me what your experience is after you use the charger more?

I have a 13 mini and it’s acting just like my recently replaced iPhone 8. Phone says it’s charging when I place it in the right spot but doesn’t seem to consistently charger after that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TJChap2840 posted:

Congrats! Could you tell me what your experience is after you use the charger more?

I have a 13 mini and it’s acting just like my recently replaced iPhone 8. Phone says it’s charging when I place it in the right spot but doesn’t seem to consistently charger after that.

It doesn't hit the spot somehow. Put it upside down and the mini will charge.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

TJChap2840 posted:

The drive I made from my house to my workplace to copy a key added 3%, so it did something! I’ll hardly ever use it but it’s nice to know it works. Apparently hueg phones are hit or miss with the standard charger

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Beautiful! Congratulations!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's not underground, it's strapped to the siding/wall since it's around the back of the house and I'm not worried about looks (and I figured that'd save me a bunch of money).

That's insanely high. I'd strongly consider doing it yourself because you can do it for like $500 to the exact same standards and you don't even have to contend with the house wiring or cosmetics. I did basically the same thing a few months ago to install a hot tub circuit and it was only a couple hours of light work and that was a fancier setup with a GFCI. Someone else might know more but that quote isn't even to code around here because the romex to THHN switch should be inside the house because romex isn't outdoor rated.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

atomicpile posted:

Because BMW and because marketing didn’t want people to figure out how small the early model’s batteries are.

For reference, a 75 kWh Tesla pack is about 208 amp hours. 75,000 watt hours / 360v = 208.33 amp hours.

The amp hours rating of a battery pack is not particularly useful because it doesn't directly tell you how much work the battery can do. Basically BMW is using amp hours to give their battery a bigger number. If you know the amp hours and the voltage you can use them to calculate out the watt hours which will tell you how much work the battery can actually do for 1 hour.

It is also possible to manipulate the amp hour rating by changing the layout of the cells, putting more in parallel will lower the voltage but increase the amp hours. Like if you took all 4416 cells out of that 75 kWh Tesla pack and welded them all in the same orientation to two giant metal plates, you would convert it into one 3.7v battery with over 20000 amp hours. But a 3.7v/20,000 amp hour battery would only really be useful for melting basically anything connected to it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

No burying, just running pvc conduit along the side of the house. They're asking $500 per 10ft + $900 base.

that seems high. get other quotes.

as other posters have mentioned, you can DIY, however I would still get a licensed sparky to inspect and sign off on it before flipping the breaker, for liability/insurance reasons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

For reference, a 75 kWh Tesla pack is about 208 amp hours. 75,000 watt hours / 360v = 208.33 amp hours.

The amp hours rating of a battery pack is not particularly useful because it doesn't directly tell you how much work the battery can do. Basically BMW is using amp hours to give their battery a bigger number. If you know the amp hours and the voltage you can use them to calculate out the watt hours which will tell you how much work the battery can actually do for 1 hour.

They're actually giving their battery a smaller number, as you've shown (208 < 75000). If they wanted to present a bigger number they could just present Wh instead of kWh

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

For reference:

BMW i3 battery sizes
60ah (22kWh)
94ah (33kWh)
120ah (42.2kWh)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

They're actually giving their battery a smaller number, as you've shown (208 < 75000). If they wanted to present a bigger number they could just present Wh instead of kWh

My guess is, since rechargeable batteries typically list capacity in mAh, they figured they'd do the same. Also maybe it allows their customers to look down their noses at the plebs using kWh.

Personally I would have gone with Joules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Here's a basic breakdown for a 40ft run, breaker box tie in for those curious about DIY costs.
--------------------------------------
$100 - 50AMP GFCI Double Pole Breaker
$65 - 8-3 Romex, 15FT (inc overage)
$100 - 8 gauge THHN 200FT (4 50ft runs, overage accounted for)
$58 - 50FT 1 1/4" PVC conduit
$25 - box, joints, conduit body, nuts, cable clamps
$2- double gang box
$9.50 - 14-50R
$2 - double gang single plug cover
$5 - fasteners, wire nuts, ect.
--------------------------------------
$266.50