Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

THE BAR posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/889080/Deity_Empires/

Has anyone here tried this? Looks like a cheapo Dominions, and therefore sorta interesting.

Its cheapo Master of Magic. Biggest complaint I have is how tough it is to find a spell list for your chosen school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Does the Wild Space mod help with that at all?

I mean, for me, the game stales out just after the first war. Or after you have in some other way grown large enough that the AIs will never be able to threaten you again. But I think the Wild Space mod is designed specifically to fix your thing.
Yes. But in my experience it can really screw you up with a single uncolonizable system connected to 4 others so it becomes an impossible to defend anti-choke or just plop down in the middle of otherwise regular systems so it breaks all your trade routes with piracy. Also opening up the center of the galaxy is amazing for traversing but it usually leaves some regular systems in the center and the game loves spawning you there which is TERRIBLE.

The game definitely stales when you can't explore or expand and it just becomes a waiting game for techs, hoping against hope you random into the ones you want, and more pops to grow. Also I hate how AI's who spawn near you knows they do and just spam tons and tons of ships so they either rush you or you pretty much have to rush them.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 7, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Shadow Empire's UI/UX and general gamefeel once you know your way around? I've heard really great things about the depth of gameplay, but the interface looks really nightmarish in both screenshots and gameplay videos.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Shadow Empire's UI/UX and general gamefeel once you know your way around? I've heard really great things about the depth of gameplay, but the interface looks really nightmarish in both screenshots and gameplay videos.

If you can handle a Paradox grand-strategy game you can handle Shadow Empire. I fell for it hard, I probably logged 100 hours in under two months. I bounced off when the turns started taking 5~10 minutes plus to run, but my understanding is they've corrected that quite a bit.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's ugly but it's excellent and after a while the ugliness has a sort of familiar charm. It's my fav 4X, def keep the manual handy but it's 100% worth the learning curve which isn't too bad.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Turn off planes for your first game. It pains me to say this but you probably want to turn on double logistics points. Getting supplies exactly where you want them can be fiddly, especially in conquered AI territory. The game is basically the story of your logistics chain expanding to meet the growing needs of your logistics chain. Everything else is fairly straightforward in the opinion of someone who has played since before pull points were implemented. Regular reminder that the game is basically a war game, peace is just a way to secure your flank.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If you're comfy with hex and counter grog games you'll love Shadow Empire

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I love early access :allears:

This owns

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Distant Worlds has always been "that one 4X game that's stupid expensive for no reason" but I never actually heard anything else about it.
Now that it's 90% off I'm thinking of maybe taking a look at it. Is it any good? What does it play like?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, a question. Are there any good real-time 4X games with multiplayer besides Stellaris and Sins of a Solar Empire?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Jack Trades posted:

Also, a question. Are there any good real-time 4X games with multiplayer besides Stellaris and Sins of a Solar Empire?

Northgard? Also kind of Offworld Trading Company, too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Northgard is really cool, but it has some infuriating AI cheats at higher difficulties.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jack Trades posted:

Distant Worlds has always been "that one 4X game that's stupid expensive for no reason" but I never actually heard anything else about it.
Now that it's 90% off I'm thinking of maybe taking a look at it. Is it any good? What does it play like?

It's my favorite 4x (noting I like space games that aren't Stellaris). If it seems daunting, let the AI do everything at first and then take over as you feel comfortable.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Real good. But also very fiddly and grognardy. Very focused on logistics and resources running around your empire, but much of it is automated. Big learning curve as a result figuring out how all these systems, many of which you don’t control, interact. One of my absolute faves though, it’s complicated enough but the UI is IMO actually real good for this type of game, so you feel like you have a pretty good grip on running a space empire and directing things to happen. The outbreak of a war and tasking a half dozen fleets to leave their home bases to start taking apart the enemy empire, starting with their fuel and mining bases, just feels great. Or surrounding a potential enemy with monitoring stations to detect their fleets and ambushing them like Return of the Jedi, complete with Death Stars.

The LP that just concluded gives a pretty good overview of how it plays out if you have a few hours to kill on that.

E: and I stand by “big learning curve,” but as noted above you can automate nearly everything and still do OK. You can do fine automating or having advisors suggestions for virtually everything, or jump in the deep end with manual control and mess with the number of docking ports your mining stations have, whatever floats your boat works.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 23, 2021

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Anno posted:

Also kind of Offworld Trading Company, too.

Offworld Trading Company is an absolute beast of a game. I don't play it as often as I should, but it is some of the tensest/nervewracking gameplay I've ever experienced.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Grevlek posted:

Offworld Trading Company is an absolute beast of a game. I don't play it as often as I should, but it is some of the tensest/nervewracking gameplay I've ever experienced.

It's a very very good game which sadly underdelivered on the solo front at release, and was probably too weird in the first place to succeed. But DLCs have added plenty of campaign options, new planets and, more importantly, a lot of solo scenarios that work out as puzzles. Limited Supply in particular is very neat imho.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Has anyone tried Void Eclipse?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Jack Trades posted:

I paid pretty much full price >$130 and I enjoyed it for a few hundred hours, but it's very much single thread cpu limited and really bogs down irregardless of how good your other hardware is late game.

It has some really good features if you care to learn them though, little tricks.

I liked making a custom satellite at the start that had a trading outpost on it before I could afford a real starbase, this would jumpstart me over the ai occasionally.

You can also bribe the hell out of factions to keep them off your back.

I also learned that a fleet of empty dropship troop carriers can act as chaff for you to land your manned transports to take over their planet without destroying their turtles up space defences.

And breaching pods on your ships often let you take over enemy ships and often you can capture derilicts to get a jumpstart or even unique tech.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You can always repair derelicts to claim them, all those scores of hulks floating out in the middle of nowhere? All salvageable. Takes forfuckingever and you probably only want to do a few at a time but the usual end result is an endgame-tier battleship crashing through the midgame like a tank through a daycare, which is always fun

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How’s Distant Worlds 2 coming along? I think the beta started last summer?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mokotow posted:

How’s Distant Worlds 2 coming along? I think the beta started last summer?

March 22, 2022.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way to make text in Distant Worlds readable at 1080p?

This hurts my eyes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So Distant Worlds 2 is coming out in March and a few streamers have gotten access to it and put some very early videos out and... The game looks like a copy paste?

The UI is identical, the flavor text is almost identical (you find warp drives in a crashed troop transport in your starting system), the research tree is still a linear piece of crap and it honestly looks like the developer hasn't iterated on any features at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he hasn't even updated the codebase and is just building off the original game from 12 years ago. So far the only new thing I've seen is the ship designer now has component slots for each ship type.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

This hurts my eyes.

I believe the Bacon Mod/Retreat UE/Das Chrome fixes some of that, found here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4481684

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think they always said most of the work is in re-writing the engine for multi-threading. The original DU took a few DLCs to become a proper game. I think it's just one of these developers and games that takes years to get anywhere sensible.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack Trades posted:

This hurts my eyes.

There’s also a way to sort of “sharpen” the text in that game by using Windows build in DPI settings. It helps a lot! I’m playing in 2560x1080, fwiw.

Edit: speaking of this game, after owning it on Steam for 5-6 years I finally started playing it. I’m following TortugaPower’s tutorial Let’s Play on YouTube and taking baby steps and I absolutely love it so far! Can’t wait for DW2!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 31, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

So Distant Worlds 2 is coming out in March and a few streamers have gotten access to it and put some very early videos out and... The game looks like a copy paste?

The UI is identical, the flavor text is almost identical (you find warp drives in a crashed troop transport in your starting system), the research tree is still a linear piece of crap and it honestly looks like the developer hasn't iterated on any features at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he hasn't even updated the codebase and is just building off the original game from 12 years ago. So far the only new thing I've seen is the ship designer now has component slots for each ship type.

isn't the game still being made by one dude

it's basically Dwarf Fortress: In Space idk what you were expecting. hopefully the new version will attract more of a third-party modding community and won't be any harder to crack open and fiddle with.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 31, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's basically Dwarf Fortress: In Space idk what you were expecting

Dunno for everyone else, but here I basically expected a lot of polish on UI and art. It's not like the rest needs much imho, but some prettier sprites/models and something less obviously windows forms for UI would go a long way. Haven't looked at previews, mind, I'll see what it's like from reviews when it comes out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

chaosapiant posted:

There’s also a way to sort of “sharpen” the text in that game by using Windows build in DPI settings. It helps a lot! I’m playing in 2560x1080, fwiw.

Edit: speaking of this game, after owning it on Steam for 5-6 years I finally started playing it. I’m following TortugaPower’s tutorial Let’s Play on YouTube and taking baby steps and I absolutely love it so far! Can’t wait for DW2!

Ooo thanks for the pointer, I'm in the same boat, owned it for years and always been scared away.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

chaosapiant posted:

Is this a Windows setting yes? Not a in-game setting? I had the same problem with the text once I changed to a 1440p monitor and I just never went back because I figured it was just hosed.

Can you elaborate on what Windows DPI settings you changed to make it look better? I'm only turning up info about mouse movement for DPI stuff in windows when I google.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HopperUK posted:

Ooo thanks for the pointer, I'm in the same boat, owned it for years and always been scared away.

Check out the YouTuber I mentioned above. I’ve been following right along, and he teaches from the very bottom up. So you’ll do the super early game start with one system pre-warp, and from there learn how to build/design your own ships and bases and on and on from there. It’s really loving cool!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Captain Beans posted:

Is this a Windows setting yes? Not a in-game setting? I had the same problem with the text once I changed to a 1440p monitor and I just never went back because I figured it was just hosed.

Can you elaborate on what Windows DPI settings you changed to make it look better? I'm only turning up info about mouse movement for DPI stuff in windows when I google.

Yep, windows. Keep in mind that at 1440 the text will still be super small. I’ll try and find the instructions I found.

Edit: I can’t find the original thread, but this has most of the fix. Try this, or there’s another option to “enhance” DPI settings in the same menu.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4049416&mpage=1&key=&#4049416

Another Edit: Here's a better fix, similar to the one above but this seemed to work for me:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4752207

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 1, 2022

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's basically Dwarf Fortress: In Space idk what you were expecting. hopefully the new version will attract more of a third-party modding community and won't be any harder to crack open and fiddle with.

I believe you're thinking of Aurora 4x, Distant Worlds has a small dev team but it is definitely not a solo project.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Kanos posted:

Seconding this. For some reason SotS1 continually sticks in my memory as the 4X where I played a shitload of games but very rarely ever got into the "I'm bored because nothing is happening but map painting/research, time to restart" loop that most 4Xes fall into. The grand menaces were tuned very well to keep things dangerous even if you were rolling, and the AI could occasionally be very mean about pulling out hard counter techs if you got complacent.

They should make a sequel

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

unwantedplatypus posted:

They should make a sequel

:negative:

It still hurts.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SOTS was that one time an army of monkeys on typewriters accidentally produced Hamlet; to see it once in a lifetime was miraculous, expecting to see it twice was just greedy

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The SotS1 expansions were good enough that it was reasonable to expect that Kerberos had some idea what they were doing.

Until they demonstrated that they absolutely, positively, definitively did not.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Has anyone tried the galactic civ IV beta / early access, is it good, and did I overlook a thread?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’ve been keeping an eye on it because I’m actually fairly fond of GalCiv but you might remember how 3 started life as “2 but bigger” and that’s where 4 seems to be at right now. Though at least they are making fundamental changes in the early testing phase this time instead of over four years of expansions like 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Kanos posted:

The SotS1 expansions were good enough that it was reasonable to expect that Kerberos had some idea what they were doing.

Until they demonstrated that they absolutely, positively, definitively did not.

What worked in SotS was a reasonable ship builder, a simplistic but not overly-so strategic layer, and decisive real time battles. I feel like Total War kind of scratches that itch, but I liked the space naval focus of SotS.