Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

On the contrary, the machines learning how to squeeze more juice out of fewer people only in response to restrictions born of class struggle is straight out of chapter fifteen.

The issue is that the ‘juice’ is a metaphorical new-age ‘soul energy’ - and it’s well-established that these infinitely-reproducible programs all have souls....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DaveKap posted:

Y'know... I totally understand Lana trying to take back the franchise, prevent WB from running it into the ground, and pushing forward the messages she wants to push forward...

...but there is something to be said for the hundreds of other people who worked on that first film (and maybe the other two) and contributed to its greatness and how they might feel about its continuation being what it is. I'd be interested in what Bill Pope thinks, for example.

So for fun, I decided to see if he expressed any opinions. Here's an interview where he talks about how filming for the Matrix sequels sucked rear end because the Wachowskis were trusting in Stanley Kubrick's style of filming of doing 90 takes:
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/the-matrix-cinematographer-sequels-mind-numbing-1234573077/
This kinda kills the argument (for me, anyway) that filming taking 4 months was a detriment to the film.

This is really interesting, I had no idea the wachowskis fell into that Kubrick trap. I think Bill Pope is right about filming too much poo poo at once, ultimately 2 & 3 felt sort of soulless to me, but again, were at least an honest to god attempt and making good movies.

Speaking of filming multiple projects at once, Avatar 2 should be out dec. ‘22. James Cameron has been filming like 3 movies at once lol, but he’s had like 10 years to do it.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
Movie was entertaining enough, but ultimately pretty mediocre. It would’ve been way more interesting if it had stayed entirely within the matrix, basically fully committing to the ideas from the first act. Is it all real, or a simulation? Is Thomas Anderson really Neo, or is he psychotic? Did any of the previous movies even happen? Is this all part of a new simulation? Etc. That kind of mystery and maybe even open-endedness would’ve been way more interesting than the boring steampunk garbage city real world stuff, which already dragged the other sequels down.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is really interesting, I had no idea the wachowskis fell into that Kubrick trap. I think Bill Pope is right about filming too much poo poo at once, ultimately 2 & 3 felt sort of soulless to me, but again, were at least an honest to god attempt and making good movies.

Speaking of filming multiple projects at once, Avatar 2 should be out dec. ‘22. James Cameron has been filming like 3 movies at once lol, but he’s had like 10 years to do it.
Yeah as much as people dislike the sequels, I revere them appropriately. Reloaded's highway chase and burly brawl pushed boundaries as well as bullet-time did for the original and the turret defense in Revolutions still looks great today while the big slow Smith punch is, to this day, used to wonderful effect in other films and even television. The trilogy, as a whole, changed and influenced action cinema for the better forever. Nobody can take that away from the Wachowskis, Bill Pope, and the many people who made those things possible, even if Resurrections won't contribute to the legacy.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
resurrections will absolutely contribute to their legacy because it fuckin rules and all the haters are insane and wrong

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Christopher Nolan kinda ate all the biscuits for consciousness-expanding action sequences with Inception and Tenet.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ram dass in hell posted:

resurrections will absolutely contribute to their legacy because it fuckin rules and all the haters are insane and wrong
But... how? I'm speaking purely from a cinematography perspective, mind you.

Alchenar posted:

Christopher Nolan kinda ate all the biscuits for consciousness-expanding action sequences with Inception and Tenet.
True. The backdoors scene was basically already done better by Inception. Force pushing has been done to death by Star Wars. None of the new wire-fu was particularly interesting and, if anything, felt less realistic than the original trilogy (which is what you get when your stunt coordinators change.) Most of the melee action was fast-cut confusion. The closest we get to a new idea is the bot rainfall at the end of the film which, uhh... I don't think anyone's going to look at that as "upholding a legacy."

Tenet's highway chase definitely felt Reloaded inspired, though. Loved it. Wanted way more of it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 28, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ram dass in hell posted:

Yeah. It was a good and fitting conclusion. I hope they don't make any more with Neo and Trinity, though won't mind some side stories that play with the concept/world. It was a mostly happy ending.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue is that the ‘juice’ is a metaphorical new-age ‘soul energy’ - and it’s well-established that these infinitely-reproducible programs all have souls....

It's really no different from modern businesses wringing higher-intensity performance out of new hires by deliberately giving them imposter syndrome. The challenge for the machines has gone from creating the illusion that there's no alternative to creating a social context in which the alternative is just slightly too unpleasant, and the payoff for sticking with the status quo just tantalizingly close enough, that everyone chooses to just get out of bed and go to work today the same way they did yesterday. The new matrix is kind of like the first world, where it's actually no secret what's going on, but little incentive to do anything about it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

DaveKap posted:

But... how? I'm speaking purely from a cinematography perspective, mind you.

in the sense that i liked it a lot, mainly

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Haha okay never mind then. I was having a technical discussion.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
re: cinematography, somebody make a gif of the zombie face punch drift from the end please

mc.schroeder posted:

It would’ve been way more interesting if it had stayed entirely within the matrix
lol

ram dass in hell posted:

I came out of the theater thinking it was "stimulating, and cleared the bar of 'not the worst Matrix movie'" but because 1) I could barely understand most of the dialogue (see previous post about the sound from the adjacent theater barging into Niobe's scene about silence) 2) it is barely cresting fresh on RT, which is perhaps the best possible outcome 3) the criticism I am seeing is generally not as on target as I was expecting, I need to watch it on computer to see if it indeed fuckin rules. every bad hater post is adding .1/10 to my score

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Well, speaking of the idea of side stories and having a movie entirely set in the Matrix,
The best piece of Matrix media is actually that one anime short in the Animatrix where the kids play in that glitched "haunted house", realise weird poo poo is going on that they're never going to understand, but basically just laugh about it and move on

The closest thing to a Zizekian third pill offered by the entire series, the constraints and bizarre idiosyncrasy of the world's boundaries become a mere curio rather than a thing to be resisted against

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

VROOM VROOM posted:

re: cinematography, somebody make a gif of the zombie face punch drift from the end please
Are you talking about this?
https://i.imgur.com/WgRfB3C.gifv

Oh my god I decided to cut the cut and uhh:
https://i.imgur.com/s93XJVP.gifv

This is why editors are saints.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 28, 2021

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Shortly after that (e: 1 minute and a couple seconds after that), there's one shot where Neo punches a zombie in the face from the back of the motorcycle (e: while yelling) and then the camera follows and turns 90 degrees as Trinity drifts through a crowd of zombos

thinkin' about how the horror elements here are good, including the zombies. The Matrix already covered body and epistemological horror, here we have existential and solipsistic horror

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

VROOM VROOM posted:

Shortly after that (e: 1 minute and a couple seconds after that), there's one shot where Neo punches a zombie in the face from the back of the motorcycle (e: while yelling) and then the camera follows and turns 90 degrees as Trinity drifts through a crowd of zombos

thinkin' about how the horror elements here are good, including the zombies. The Matrix already covered body and epistemological horror, here we have existential and solipsistic horror
Gotchu

https://i.imgur.com/XBvy1X0.mp4

It's a fairly fun shot that would've been amazing were it one-shot chained to a second action.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Well, speaking of the idea of side stories and having a movie entirely set in the Matrix,
The best piece of Matrix media is actually that one anime short in the Animatrix where the kids play in that glitched "haunted house", realise weird poo poo is going on that they're never going to understand, but basically just laugh about it and move on

The closest thing to a Zizekian third pill offered by the entire series, the constraints and bizarre idiosyncrasy of the world's boundaries become a mere curio rather than a thing to be resisted against
That's my favorite Animatrix. It's the one I rewatch whenever I find the disc.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 28, 2021

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do feel bad for anyone who doesn't like Morpheus 2. He's probably the best part of the good half of this movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really like that dude in the new Candyman movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regardless of its flaws I am much happier we got this movie than the soulless boring Marvelized Matrix we would have gotten otherwise.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The only thing that could make it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTeXBTStek0&t=20s

Inspired by the movie Demons

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Regardless of its flaws I am much happier we got this movie than the soulless boring Marvelized Matrix we would have gotten otherwise.

Can you imagine Neo turning to the camera and making a meta joke about bullet time?

Or Trinity waxing poetic about brunch?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, much agreed with this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I assumed that once the car/motorcycle chase started then everything was heavily into CGI territory and that possibly nothing at all on the screen was real.

e: and once you know you are watching Unreal Engine 5 then really the camera work is only interesting as a matter of artistic vision, not a 'how the gently caress did they make that happen?'

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

DaveKap posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XBvy1X0.mp4

It's a fairly fun shot that would've been amazing were it one-shot chained to a second action.

:sickos:

I am appreciating the cinematography for that precise reason, there are so many cuts that one can only conclude that it is an intentional subversion of the wide-shot-long-take martial arts cinematography that defined The Matrix, ebbed during the shakeycam era, and has had a massive resurgence in the wake of The Raid etc. that it is essentially the default of the times. Now here we got John Wick preferring not to fistfight. It's fantastic. The cuts are synchronized to hits (if I were braver I would say it gives them impact), and yet the choreography is still comprehensible. You got Jackie Chan showing a single hit three times, here they show you them zero times but you can still see them.

ImpAtom posted:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Movie held my attention the entire time, which is more than I was expecting. Ultimately, it felt a little flat to me - lots of interesting ideas throughout with zero of the ideas getting fleshed out enough to drive the movie imo.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Alchenar posted:

I assumed that once the car/motorcycle chase started then everything was heavily into CGI territory and that possibly nothing at all on the screen was real.

e: and once you know you are watching Unreal Engine 5 then really the camera work is only interesting as a matter of artistic vision, not a 'how the gently caress did they make that happen?'

The action within the Matrix is not real, we are past that. Neo spends the movie casually doing cool Matrix things instead of harder, cooler martial arts things, and then at the end he does a big cool Matrix thing and it nearly gets them killed. The One awakens and immediately literally says "Bye" and flies out of the cool action entirely.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Keanu had to train for 6 months, stretching for 8 hours a day, to do his own stunts in Reloaded and Revolutions. I can forgive the actor for not wanting to gently caress with that, but there’s no excuse for NPH and Geoff not going hog wild king fu-ing each other. Make the fuckers work for it!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

McCloud posted:

This might be a stupid observation, but if they wanted to portray therapy as bad and therapists as monsters, they probably would have called NPH's character The Therapist instead of The Analyst.

The Analrapist.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Keanu had to train for 6 months, stretching for 8 hours a day, to do his own stunts in Reloaded and Revolutions. I can forgive the actor for not wanting to gently caress with that, but there’s no excuse for NPH and Geoff not going hog wild king fu-ing each other. Make the fuckers work for it!

See this is probably the best criticism I've seen of the film so far. Keanu was essentially resting up for JW4 with this. Throw NPH off a roof or something.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

VROOM VROOM posted:

The action within the Matrix is not real, we are past that. Neo spends the movie casually doing cool Matrix things instead of harder, cooler martial arts things, and then at the end he does a big cool Matrix thing and it nearly gets them killed. The One awakens and immediately literally says "Bye" and flies out of the cool action entirely.

"The action was bad on purpose" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

It's really no different from modern businesses wringing higher-intensity performance out of new hires by deliberately giving them imposter syndrome.

Besides that nothing remotely like that is depicted in the movie, there’s a substantial difference between that and what actually is depicted: the old trope of nightmare creatures that “feed on fear.” As others have already noted, this is Monsters Inc. imagery. At best.

The children in Monsters Inc. aren’t employees of the titular company, and the entire joke is that closet monsters aren’t real but are an attempt by Pixar at illustrating the concept of “psychic economy.”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe some day people will try making things good on purpose :kiddo:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Besides that nothing remotely like that is depicted in the movie, there’s a substantial difference between that and what actually is depicted: the old trope of nightmare creatures that “feed on fear.” As others have already noted, this is Monsters Inc. imagery. At best.

The children in Monsters Inc. aren’t employees of the titular company, and the entire joke is that closet monsters aren’t real but are an attempt by Pixar at illustrating the concept of “psychic economy.”

The analyst describes the key to his manipulation as "Quietly yearning for what you don’t have, while dreading losing what you do." This happens throughout the first third or so of the movie, where Neo is tantalized by Trinity (his handler pushes Neo to talk to her and stuff) but then made aware of various blocks to actually being with her (Chad). The analyst says that this kind of emotional push and pull is what keeps everyone productive and compliant, much more so than when the Matrix was just occluded from them.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There’s also the visuals of them trying to get together and exploding when they touch. it’s a controllable amount of love energy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

The analyst describes the key to his manipulation as "Quietly yearning for what you don’t have, while dreading losing what you do." This happens throughout the first third or so of the movie, where Neo is tantalized by Trinity (his handler pushes Neo to talk to her and stuff) but then made aware of various blocks to actually being with her (Chad). The analyst says that this kind of emotional push and pull is what keeps everyone productive and compliant, much more so than when the Matrix was just occluded from them.

Yes, but what they are producing is literally just the fear and desire. Fear energy emerges from their palms as a glowing light. There’s no step 2.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

So, we need to very specific about what’s going on: the videogame company is not in any way presented as ‘the bad guy’. The coders and other employees are presented as silly doofuses, rather than as exploited workers with whom to have solidarity. Even the boss joins in on the fun, while the actual villain is the therapist whose goal is to make reality boring.

The workers at the video game company are not the bad guy in the same way that Facebook or Amazon or google employees are the bad guys. But they are part of the system of control. Here they directly work to contain neo and help him create the matrix game as an illusion to his memories. This is reinforced by the analyst with his therapy session.

But the analyst goal is quite clear: maximize profit for matrix.co by delivering content that keeps people yearning for emotional connections.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yes, but what they are producing is literally just the fear and desire. Fear energy emerges from their palms as a glowing light. There’s no step 2.

Isn't the glowing light that came out of their palms something that happened in the real world when they were mistakenly brought too close together and blew up the entire resurrection tank in a "failed experiment" flashback? That was just the same machine empathy power Neo used to mind-kill some sentinels back in Reloaded.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

That’s clearly love energy. The brightest of all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I cannot believe they didn't run with Social Media Is The New Matrix, and your Attention makes it run instead of your Body Heat. Instead of Neo's Denied True Love. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I feel like that’s implicit, but definitely open to interpretation. Attention is kept because people keep looking for connections (the push and pull) but never quite make it. I see social media as being this. Liking, dems, ghosting, blocking.