Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
also almost no one actually works as a farmer anymore, a combination of heavy automation and overreliance on seasonal labor from undocumented immigrants has caused a near total collapse in the number of people actually full-time employed in agriculture.

Oklahoma has seen an over 95% decline in the number of people working as farmers since I was born, even though it’s still a major sector of the state economy. It just doesn’t require very many people anymore, and the ones it does require are mostly only there for a few months. This also means that the service workers who supported all those farm laborers are no longer needed, so their jobs also go away, and you end up with a countryside full of dying small towns that have maybe 15-20 paying jobs available total and only still exist because the inhabitants are too poor to move.

The independent small farmer is also basically dead as a career, there’s only a few hundred thousand of them left in the entire country and almost all of them have a day job or other source of primary income.

The depopulation of the rural areas of my state over the last few decades has been really dramatic, there’s multiple towns I drive through regularly when going to visit family that don’t have main streets anymore because every building was abandoned and then fell over. The people who do live there survive on the informal economy (drugs, illegal salvage of abandoned buildings, etc.; I used to know a guy who made a decent chunk of money stealing sand from recreational beaches on the lake and reselling it as sandbox sand) or on government money like Social Security.

What this has meant in practice is that the state’s two large cities have been getting redder as Republican voters flee small towns for the suburbs, and rural areas have been getting redder because the Democratic Party has so completely given up on them that they mostly don’t even bother to contest elections out there anymore. It’s really frustrating because the Dems had an ironclad hold on rural OK politics from the New Deal era until the mid-2000s and were even still reasonably competitive on the local level well into the Obama administration, but they don’t even try anymore, they’ve just conceded all that ground to the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

also almost no one actually works as a farmer anymore, a combination of heavy automation and overreliance on seasonal labor from undocumented immigrants has caused a near total collapse in the number of people actually full-time employed in agriculture.

Oklahoma has seen an over 95% decline in the number of people working as farmers since I was born, even though it’s still a major sector of the state economy. It just doesn’t require very many people anymore, and the ones it does require are mostly only there for a few months. This also means that the service workers who supported all those farm laborers are no longer needed, so their jobs also go away, and you end up with a countryside full of dying small towns that have maybe 15-20 paying jobs available total and only still exist because the inhabitants are too poor to move.

The independent small farmer is also basically dead as a career, there’s only a few hundred thousand of them left in the entire country and almost all of them have a day job or other source of primary income.

The depopulation of the rural areas of my state over the last few decades has been really dramatic, there’s multiple towns I drive through regularly when going to visit family that don’t have main streets anymore because every building was abandoned and then fell over. The people who do live there survive on the informal economy (drugs, illegal salvage of abandoned buildings, etc.; I used to know a guy who made a decent chunk of money stealing sand from recreational beaches on the lake and reselling it as sandbox sand) or on government money like Social Security.

What this has meant in practice is that the state’s two large cities have been getting redder as Republican voters flee small towns for the suburbs, and rural areas have been getting redder because the Democratic Party has so completely given up on them that they mostly don’t even bother to contest elections out there anymore. It’s really frustrating because the Dems had an ironclad hold on rural OK politics from the New Deal era until the mid-2000s and were even still reasonably competitive on the local level well into the Obama administration, but they don’t even try anymore, they’ve just conceded all that ground to the GOP.

well yeah, youve just explained why the dems don't waste their time with those areas, they don't have any money.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

well yeah, youve just explained why the dems don't waste their time with those areas, they don't have any money.

Its not like Republicans care, though. Also, the US electoral system being what it is and states gerrymandering as much as they can means most people are irrelevant.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/beingrealmac/st...ingawful.com%2F

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that's a right wing Twitter account that has taken a 6 second clip way out of context, and everyone seems to be falling for it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

that's a right wing Twitter account that has taken a 6 second clip way out of context, and everyone seems to be falling for it.

It’s not out of context the whole video has been posted and that’s just the highlight.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what's the context

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

what's the context

He was talking to some governors.

https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1475605523118632971?s=21

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spankmeister posted:

biden's secret plan for federal lockdowns

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Biden's secret plan is to let Republican states kill off their own supporters

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BALK BALK BALK

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

this is just san francisco, which was populated almost entirely by imported tech workers who are now all getting work from home giga and moving somewhere cheaper.

SF is not populated almost entirely by tech workers lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Rah! posted:

BALK BALK BALK

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!

now we're cookin

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

now we're cookin

lmao how Sleepy Joe continuing the whole Trumpian "let the states figure it out / do what they want" approach to deal with a national pandemic.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!

etalian posted:

lmao how Sleepy Joe continuing the whole Trumpian "let the states figure it out / do what they want" approach to deal with a national pandemic.

im not sure thats strictly a trump thing. federal support for the provinces has been declining steadily for decades now, through increasing privatization and reduction of federal funds for steady state operations and disaster relief. if balk is what you want, look no further than the federation no longer serving local and regional power interests from its own purse. thats the entire point of membership in the federation.

here's some general jack t ripper guy talking about the anticipated and feared consequences of limited american imperial power projection. its written in a very "ideology-rich" style, so you have to navigate around that, but it applies both internally and externally.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Once we finally break up does everyone get a free pass to choose what team they wanna join?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

spankmeister posted:

come on man

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Once we finally break up does everyone get a free pass to choose what team they wanna join?

i dont think its going to matter

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!
the most important question facing americans today is which branded warlord to swear fealty to. im thinking monsanto state enterprises but im open to suggestion

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!
you better get the gently caress outta here, this is a unilever town

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

does pepsi still have the soviet ships?

Fame Douglas posted:

Its not like Republicans care, though. Also, the US electoral system being what it is and states gerrymandering as much as they can means most people are irrelevant.

The best thing about this for Republicans is that they don't need to care. They just gotta keep their mouths shut and the poor rural areas will reliably vote for them. The idea of Democrats being not just apathetic, but actively hostile to the rural poor is so engrained that so long as the gerrymandering remains in place, the RNC doesn't have to do poo poo in most areas.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

croup coughfield posted:

you better get the gently caress outta here, this is a unilever town

Procter & Gamble rules! Piss off!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

choose your clan

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mars is 100% owned by like one old lady

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

mars is 100% owned by like one old lady

Mother is not to be referred to as "one old lady", cretin

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tfw your wikipedia page says you have 45 billion dollars and the only picture of you is modern art

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

croup coughfield posted:

the most important question facing americans today is which branded warlord to swear fealty to. im thinking monsanto state enterprises but im open to suggestion

ill be driving a tank for Uber defending the city from roving bands of chud deathsquads from the hinterlands

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

tfw your wikipedia page says you have 45 billion dollars and the only picture of you is modern art

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They tried to make her retire but there was no one who could fill her shoes. I guess you could say Mars needs Mom.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Real hurthling! posted:

The one smart rich person

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

her actual face is all over google images she's not some secret identity supervillain

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
which part of the us will become the kangarat murder society

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My heart wishes i could join the communi-bear silo state

My brain reminds me I'll just be another screamer in the mad-lands

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

choose your clan

You can't post this without also posting their battlemech lineup.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nestle would just be a fleet of illegally obtained, previously-used-for-warcrimes timberwolves

J&J would have just one mech but it's made of cyanide

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Cup Runneth Over posted:

choose your clan

HARLAN “COLONEL” SANDERS
HEAD OF THE KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN FAMILY
A PEPSICO CLAN SUBSIDIARY

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

they're gonna merge, consolidate, hostile takeover, etc. its gonna be Unilever vs Nestlé in the end anyway

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

spankmeister posted:

they're gonna merge, consolidate, hostile takeover, etc. its gonna be Unilever vs Nestlé in the end anyway

vs you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

i mean the "blue states" are usually "a couple of blue cities surrounded by blood red chudlandia," the idea that you'll be safe in oregon because portland is hilarious unless you live within portland (which is basically going to be white liberals hoping minorities with guns protect them) and even then it doesn't matter much. seattle white people turn into heinrich himmler 2: heinrich harder when homeless people or extending the light rail come up.