Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KittyEmpress posted:

At least here in California any business with more than a certain number of employees nation wide (I believe 50) was required to give covid sick pay for the duration of the quarantining required by the CDC.

The way it was spelled out as (this is nor verbatim) as being paid for the length of time mandated by the CDC means that this ruling could change that massively.

Though yeah I'll admit I just kinda assumed that was nation wide, and it took me googling it after reading your post to realize it was something Newsom did, not the federal government. So I guess it probably is less targeted towards 'gently caress those poor I want my fast food and target checkout queues'

California's covid sick leave expired in September, when the pandemic ended.

The CDC is just as politicized as the previous admin, if not moreso.

e:
Here have a qualified expert's opinion on how dumb this is
https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Ordered some vented Auras, can't wait to try these puppies

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

James Garfield posted:

The CDC reduced the recommended isolation time to 5 days if you are asymptomatic and wear a mask for the next 5 days. Thanks CBSNewYork Team for reporting correctly on a one sentence news item! :yeah:

edit:

The CDC announcement only coincidentally mentions omicron. The rationale for the change is that transmission mostly occurs early.

That is the honor system and we saw how well that worked with mask compliance and their vaccination requirement. Right before delta, too.

Discendo Vox posted:

Anthony Leonardi's background seems to be specifically in oncology (cancer) immune system research; he's had no publications on viral epidemiology or immunology, and no publications for a couple years since grad school until covid 19. Since the pandemic hit he's had two articles published in pubmed, both on publishing platforms commonly characterized as predatory: MDPI and Frontiers. One of the two articles was an opinion piece; the other was a lit review with no new research, apparently pursuant to a patent application. The first person to post Leonardi was poll plane variant, as part of an effort to fill the thread with as many sources claiming doom as possible. He's not a good source of authority; he's one of the many people in a vaguely related area who are suddenly holding themselves out as authorities on social media, competing to provide the illusion of insight.

He must just be a very lucky guy, because he's been mostly right.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1475529419812974595
Lol what on earth

slorb
May 14, 2002
Given the CDC isn't even trying to hide its lust for death these days, who are the public health bodies worth listening to? Are there any European ones with a good track record?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Judakel posted:

That is the honor system and we saw how well that worked with mask compliance and their vaccination requirement. Right before delta, too.

Obviously the CDC guidelines only matter for people who follow CDC guidelines. But the complaint here was specifically that the CDC changed its guidelines. There are already people ignoring the 10 day isolation and going around in public with symptomatic covid.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

slorb posted:

Given the CDC isn't even trying to hide its lust for death these days, who are the public health bodies worth listening to? Are there any European ones with a good track record?

i basically just listen to whatever israel says at this point.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

James Garfield posted:

Obviously the CDC guidelines only matter for people who follow CDC guidelines. But the complaint here was specifically that the CDC changed its guidelines. There are already people ignoring the 10 day isolation and going around in public with symptomatic covid.

It gets a lot harder to ignore the CDC guidelines when, for example, your job goes by them to craft its response to potential exposure and you have to stay away from work for at least that amount of time + test negative multiple times. Some places don't just trust you. It isn't about what that person does during that time, but what they can't do. Now that same job can just have you back if you say you're asymptomatic and wear a surgical mask.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 28, 2021

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

The CDC reduced the recommended isolation time to 5 days if you are asymptomatic and wear a mask for the next 5 days. Thanks CBSNewYork Team for reporting correctly on a one sentence news item! :yeah:

yeah, very disingenuous framing by CBSNewYork here.

this updated guidance makes sense if we want to keep the economy intact as we deal with omicron. people need to be able to work. we can't just shut everything down and give people money again, that's unrealistic. and just look at the havoc it wreaked on the economy and the value of the dollar. biden's still cleaning up after that mess (and the rest of the mess drumpf left for him, of course).

these new guidelines are flawless, really; as we all know, an employer would never pressure an employee to come to work when they shouldn't, and of course workers will always be honest about their symptoms or lack thereof so they can safely return to work after a COVID infection. this just makes sense and i'm very glad to see the CDC moving in a more sensible direction.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We saw that pretty much all the states and many employers changed their mask policies based on the CDC's political, indefensible decision back in May. This'll be more of the same.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

We saw that pretty much all the states and many employers changed their mask policies based on the CDC's political, indefensible decision back in May. This'll be more of the same.

I expect schools to follow it as well, for both employees and students.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

brugroffil posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1475647719641427976?s=20

Yep same thing as the mask mandate changes, figure the same people who defended that will do so this time around as well

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

And then the dumbest of them will still insist months later that there was no way anyone could possibly have known how disastrous this was ahead of time!

e: honestly at this point the CDC just needs to give up any pretense of even minor mitigation

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

brugroffil posted:

And then the dumbest of them will still insist months later that there was no way anyone could possibly have known how disastrous this was ahead of time!

e: honestly at this point the CDC just needs to give up any pretense of even minor mitigation

The jump from 5 days to 0 will be effortless and is the next step

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Google Butt posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1475647719641427976?s=20

Yep same thing as the mask mandate changes, figure the same people who defended that will do so this time around as well

the NBA is just being smart here. we need the NBA to be active for the US economy to function properly.

thank god former president Obama stepped in to talk some sense into those clown players who wanted to strike last year. that would have been catastrophic!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
At least the nba desire to have players come back quickly saps the claim everyone that gets Covid is disabled and maimed.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

At least the nba desire to have players come back quickly saps the claim everyone that gets Covid is disabled and maimed.

"Everyone". By the way, Tatum still has to use an inhaler before games.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's a hyperbolic claim but how does "capital wants to maximize profit" prove anything about the severity of COVID

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1475657353387298819?s=21

holy poo poo, nearly half a million cases

Michael Penis
Dec 15, 2021

by sebmojo

tmfc posted:

the NBA is just being smart here. we need the NBA to be active for the US economy to function properly.

thank god former president Obama stepped in to talk some sense into those clown players who wanted to strike last year. that would have been catastrophic!

Yeah that fucker singlehandedly defeated the only reasonable chance at a general strike in our lifetimes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

that's backlog, but give it a week for the holiday travel to have fully saturated things and I'm sure we can beat that

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

https://twitter.com/CNNSitRoom/status/1475614249766559748?t=xD14wVF0Ntqr_nEqfOKolg&s=19

He literally said it himself, so anyone saying it's for any reason besides 'to ensure capitalism keeps grinding away as numbers burst higher and higher' can stop.

Michael Penis
Dec 15, 2021

by sebmojo
What a moron. Capitalism can suck my nuts.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Judakel posted:

"Everyone". By the way, Tatum still has to use an inhaler before games.

No he doesn’t

https://mobile.twitter.com/KeithSmi...covid-battle%2F

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

professional athletes with the best healthcare available are surely representative of the general publics covid outcomes

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

How topical, he's out with covid today.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Google Butt posted:

professional athletes with the best healthcare available are surely representative of the general publics covid outcomes

There being a known cure for “long Covid” would be news as well.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There being a known cure for “long Covid” would be news as well.

Are you aware that shitloads of money is devoted to getting athletes back into playing shape after any injury or ailment

Money that absolutely will not be available for the average person.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/1475623194954506242?t=-rJqNDiSRY16KVN8fPb-ow&s=19

I'm glad that we're dispensing with the deception and admitting that our health response is driven by the need to protect Number

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

A big flaming stink posted:

Are you aware that shitloads of money is devoted to getting athletes back into playing shape after any injury or ailment

There being a cure and it being known already to sports medicine would be huge, even if it currently cost a billion dollars a treatment or something. Just the fact it’s known would be important.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

That's really good. I am sure it's not a bad sign when a professional athlete has to use an inhaler (temporary) because he had a mild case of covid.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
perth has managed to get back down to zero cases (Delta, not omicron). clubs and dancing still banned over NYE tho :qq:

https://twitter.com/MarkMcGowanMP/status/1475663305561632770?t=p4Nwx3HyqW0TfRVtp_KdkQ&s=19

can someone do time dilation so the border opening day never comes?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Judakel posted:

That's really good. I am sure it's not a bad sign when a professional athlete has to use an inhaler (temporary) because he had a mild case of covid.

I don’t think it’s ever good for anyone to ever get Covid but it kinda kneecaps the idea Covid damage is inevitably irreversible if even one guy had long Covid then a year later recovered enough to win the Olympics.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don’t think it’s ever good for anyone to ever get Covid but it kinda kneecaps the idea Covid damage is inevitably irreversible if even one guy had long Covid then a year later recovered enough to win the Olympics.

That's not how human variance works.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Judakel posted:

That's not how human variance works.

Forces you to include the data point that at least some long Covid sufferers recover enough to be Olympic athletes within a year.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Forces you to include the data point that at least some long Covid sufferers recover enough to be Olympic athletes within a year.

They were already Olympic caliber athletes, though.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

me after a single person recovers 100% from long covid: well, well, well

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

long covid actually makes you healthier

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Judakel posted:

They were already Olympic caliber athletes, though.

Yeah, and they apparently returned to that within a year. Indicating at least some of the damage is reversible in at least some of the cases.

The fact the nba wants players back after Covid indicates the damage reverses in many cases.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
covid made my balls bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
one person recovering from long covid is an anecdote that means nothing but if you find brain damage in one child who died of encephalopathy and covid, it proves covid causes parkinsons