Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mayor Dave posted:

Escape was impossible and the colony is doomed. They're all too old to have kids and they don't appear to have any means of building anything or even protecting themselves from the native life. It just enhances the message - even the people who think they're smart enough to escape will fail

Just like Elon Musk's Mars colony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mayor Dave posted:

Escape was impossible and the colony is doomed. They're all too old to have kids and they don't appear to have any means of building anything or even protecting themselves from the native life. It just enhances the message - even the people who think they're smart enough to escape will fail
yeah it was just an extremely exaggerated gag, but it also functionals terrestially in the form of 'oh well i'll just go live in the woods and hunt+gather if things get bad! good ol' escape into mother nature is always an option'. and oops no there's no infrastructure to survive. or trying to move to a 'climate proof rural area' and expect waving bundles of cash around will work instead of proverbially getting eaten by the locals.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I was really scoffing at the idea of the colony ship. Especially the idea that they could freeze themselves like that.

The most unrealistic part of the movie was the guy who looked up, saw the comet with his own eyes, and instead of doubling down and screaming even louder that comets were a myth actually got mad that his chosen political savior had lied.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

bag em and tag em posted:

The most unrealistic part of the movie was the guy who looked up, saw the comet with his own eyes, and instead of doubling down and screaming even louder that comets were a myth actually got mad that his chosen political savior had lied.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Spergin Morlock posted:

i kinda like how it led to the scene of people so out of touch with reality that one of them tries to pet a large carnivore which immediately starts eating her

I really liked how the exo planet was framed as an idyllic garden of eden and then suddenly, lol nope!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

oscillating so fast I exist in the simultaneous superposition of lol and lmao

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Yeah that part really broke the immersion for me. In actuality they would have just switched to "well, it's not actually on a collision course.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bedpan posted:

how the hell is anything I can do on a personal level going to outweigh a sovereign nation voluntarily closing an existing nuclear power infrastructure in favor of more natural gas natural gas and brown coal?

I mean there are certainly things you as an individual can do that would be worse than closing a nuke and replacing it with lignite.

You could be like a modern day Johnny Appleseed + John Henry: traveling the land with your sledge hammer, breaking off the caps of sealed natural gas wells.

Or pull an American V for Vendetta but instead of lighting up parliament you ignite a coal seam.

Don’t let depression get you down! If you really set your mind to it, you as an individual can make a difference…admittedly a negative one, but a difference non-the-less!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

bedpan posted:

how the hell is anything I can do on a personal level going to outweigh a sovereign nation voluntarily closing an existing nuclear power infrastructure in favor of more natural gas natural gas and brown coal?
have u considred cold showers

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

E: misread. Don't mind me

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

California is getting a ton of snow so this disproves global warming ya dummies

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was wondering why they didn’t try to approach astronomers in other, more serious countries.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
So DLU is a neolib version of Melancholia?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I was wondering why they didn’t try to approach astronomers in other, more serious countries.

They glossed over it pretty fast, but someone blew up Baikonur Cosmodrome. Presumably China threw in on that project.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Laterite posted:

Melancholia is about finding acceptance through your state of mind, wether it's optimistic (the older sister) or pessimistic (the younger sister).

DLU is about reality lol. It's only neolib I guess in the sense that they redeem the main scientist dude by having him accept the truth of his failure and his return to his family at the very end. A true shitlib would double down. C-spam collapse thread is the red haired woman, C-spam adjacent are the main scientist, and D&D would be the BASH ceo. I'm sure others could find more appropriate comparisons.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

skooma512 posted:

other, more serious countries.

about that...

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
https://twitter.com/GhostPanther/status/1475615802426462208

lol; lmao

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

D&D is the ex boyfriend gossip columnist

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

suspicions confirmed

can't remember which thread it was in but that tweet about an adam mckay movie being viewed with annoyance if you know anything about the subject its covering and viewed with contempt if you're one of its targets seems fairly accurate imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

this is your brain on idealism

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
https://twitter.com/LabourAccel/status/1475551692573794307

The libs don't like what they see in the mirror.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Shyrka posted:

https://twitter.com/LabourAccel/status/1475551692573794307

The libs don't like what they see in the mirror.

it was a body double anyways, meryl didn't show her rear end

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
doomer cinema

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

the most unrealistic part was when the crackpinged scientist hooked up with Timothée Chalamet. I would feel a lot better about climate change if I got to hook up with Timothée Chalamet :(

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Record high and low temperatures recorded in different parts of Alaska at the same time. If you take the average it evens out though..

https://twitter.com/NWSAnchorage/status/1475568750778671106
In addition to setting a statewide record, #Kodiak obliterated the daily record by TWENTY degrees, It is the warmest temperature on record for anytime between October 5th and April 21st...meaning this would've set monthly records in Nov, Jan, Feb, and Mar as well.

https://twitter.com/NWSAnchorage/status/1475572176715612160
Other hi temp records were set y'day across the Bering. Cold Bay obliterated its daily record by 18º, also setting a monthly record for Dec. It is the warmest temp recorded between Oct. 27 and May 7, so monthly records would've been set in Nov, Jan, Feb, Mar, and Apr.

https://twitter.com/NWSJuneau/status/1475463159737507841
Ketchikan did it again yesterday, by breaking it's record low temp of 5F from 1917! when it recorded 0. Other locations also broke their daily low temp yesterday Juneau forecast office (-7F), Haine#2(-2f), Klawock airport (3F), Pelican(10F) & Thorne Bay (0F) #akwx .@KRBDRadio

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

don’t look up was great. I need to cook up a nice final prayer that I can recite for before I freeze to death or get crushed by flood induced mudslides, or starve to death, etc

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Anyone watch First Reformed?

It's another climate change movie but is pretty obscure and hard to understand.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol this is great too

https://twitter.com/GhostPanther/status/1475627741621878786

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
we're so hosed lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lmao

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The fact that it was as warm in Kodiak as in Atlanta today is only slightly concerning.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
one thing that's really crack-pinging me lately is that literally nothing you can buy, for any price, is made to last anymore.

Houses? lol you're lucky to get a decade out of a modern one. Cars? Good luck getting through the 7 year financing without it falling apart. Clothing? I've got shirts I bought 20 years ago that are in better shape than expensive ones I bought 2 months ago. Literally falling apart after one laundry cycle.

Crapitalism discovered that people were saying "you get what you pay for" and realized they could sell the same garbage at a higher price point and people assumed it was better quality. Now you might as well buy something at the store and throw it in the trash cans on your way out and save yourself the effort of taking it home.

This is probably related to the exponentially growing pile of trash this country exports...

It's also related to why "first world" energy consumption per capita is so high, because it costs an enormous amount to make things and dispose of them, and our lifecycle is rapidly approaching 0. This is without even going into how over-packaged everything is. 15 layers of plastic and cardboard we could live with if it lasted a decade. Not so much if we have to replace it every week.

This is well beyond any individual action short of becoming a helicopter pilot, because there's no market signal you can possibly send to counteract it. They can out-advertise any boycott campaign and there's no label saying "this only lasts a month" that you can refuse to buy. it's going to require governments to intervene and lol, lmao at the thought of any government doing anything to impede the ascent of number.

Harik has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Dec 28, 2021

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Harik posted:

one thing that's really crack-pinging me lately is that literally nothing you can buy, for any price, is made to last anymore.

Houses? lol you're lucky to get a decade out of a modern one. Cars? Good luck getting through the 7 year financing without it falling apart. Clothing? I've got shirts I bought 20 years ago that are in better shape than expensive ones I bought 2 months ago. Literally falling apart after one laundry cycle.

Crapitalism discovered that people were saying "you get what you pay for" and realized they could sell the same garbage at a higher price point and people assumed it was better quality. Now you might as well buy something at the store and throw it in the trash cans on your way out and save yourself the effort of taking it home.

This is probably related to the exponentially growing pile of trash this country exports...

in the grand scheme of things, nothing is a safe bet. nothing is a safe investment, except for community. each other. that is what the collapse of complex societies really teaches us.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Dec 28, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Hubbert posted:

in the grand scheme of things, nothing is a safe bet. nothing is a safe investment, except for community. that is what the collapse of complex societies really teaches us.
I edited my posts to expand on why it's directly related to the thread. So much energy spent on making disposable trash and no way to avoid buying it.

Example:

A cooking spoon that fell apart on first use because the glue isn't waterproof WTF. I get that hashtag brands are meaningless nowadays but goddamn have some loving pride in your work. This was cut out of wood, glued together, logo-stamped, packaged, shipped to a warehouse, shipped to a store, bought, un-packaged, used a single time, and if it wasn't for my pathological refusal to generate trash would have been thrown away. What a loving waste.

Instead i glued it up with the correct poo poo and threw some wood clamps on it because knowing how to do basic repairs makes a big difference.

It's the same with wear-once clothing that drowns children on the beaches of manilla because people think "donating" means anything other than "throwing it into unregulated trash heaps overseas. Or "just put a chip in it" appliances that only work until the manufacturer outsources to a different technology vendor and shuts down the old server, bricking your $900 dishwasher...

Harik has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Dec 28, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Harik posted:

have some loving pride in your work.

this is bad for profits so the employees aren't allowed

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pfffft, suck it down winterailures. It's -20c in Vancouver BC tonight, and the pow-pow is Steep, Deep, and Plentiful.

I don't see any sign of your so-called "global warming" :airquote:, global cooling more like - the palm trees here are drooping!

Looks like all the progress we've made with the ton of positive things that have happened over the last decade is finally paying off! More importantly trends have remarkably changed with emissions, renewables becoming affordable and cost competitive. As evidenced by the Sick Blower Pow all over my face today.

Checkmate, Libs. :smuggo:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Rime posted:

Pfffft, suck it down winterailures. It's -20c in Vancouver BC tonight, and the pow-pow is Steep, Deep, and Plentiful.

I don't see any sign of your so-called "global warming" :airquote:, global cooling more like - the palm trees here are drooping!

Looks like all the progress we've made with the ton of positive things that have happened over the last decade is finally paying off! More importantly trends have remarkably changed with emissions, renewables becoming affordable and cost competitive. As evidenced by the Sick Blower Pow all over my face today.

Checkmate, Libs. :smuggo:

lmao if there are actually palm trees in BC

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forecast for my area is saying 55°F on january 2nd

starting to treat opening my weather app with the same trepidation as a healthcare bill

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

He's right, you know.

while lmao to his point on carbon capture + storage, it's why I'm so interested in the "first launch" sequence in Don't Look Up. It deliberately uses all of the technology we do have, with almost no margin of error possible. The space cowboy manning the ship even acts like your insensitive and politically incorrect 1980s American conservative ("he's from a different generation"). We have the technology - we simply just refuse to implement for numerous societal reasons. We chose not to do so back in the late 1970s, because the promise of never-ending wealth and prosperity in the 1980s seduced us. It's never too late to take action of any kind, but every day brings us closer ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
they want you to buy a plastic spoon fyi, after you eat the plastic that was in that glue and probably also coating the wood