Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It was literally Christ Mas weekend. People have families.

Yeah I understand why it was quieter. I was just surprised by how much quieter. I guess not really doing anything with my family this year probably had something to do with that perspective though. :shrug:

Begemot posted:

When is 6.1 gonna be? Some time in March?

I'm probably gonna let my sub lapse until then, don't want to level all my classes right away.

I was just telling my friend the other day that if the free time had just been free time and the 30 days I actually paid for weren't still coming, I might actually just drop sub now since I've played an absolutely monstrous amount recently (the queues paradoxically made me play more by making me want to never log off). Since I still will be subbed for a while, I think I'm going to use the 1st as a convenient point to downshift quite a bit and go into more of a maintenance mode where I do weekly stuff but don't do anything that feels like much of a grind for a while, and how well that goes will decide if I stay subbed after the month or not.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Even if people aren't raiding the Savage patch will be busy because people like capping their weekly tomes.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’ve never done more difficult content in FFXIV, how do I dip my toe into the extreme trial stuff? Is there a set of steps somewhere?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

In the process of getting Sage to 90 as my healer so I've been trying to decide what Tank I want to level.

And the perpetual cycle of indecision begins again because tanking is the role I play least and I've never settled on any of them to play consistently. :shepface:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

gay_crimes posted:

I’ve never done more difficult content in FFXIV, how do I dip my toe into the extreme trial stuff? Is there a set of steps somewhere?

Open up PF and join learning parties. Watch a guide or two. and most importantly...Have fun. :cheerdoge:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

gay_crimes posted:

watch joonbob's mini-guide(s) for the one you're doing. Browse a text guide. Join a learning party. Get the clear.

Trial one has more complicated mechanics imo, but in exchange every single one is follow the leader--if you're ever unsure, you can just follow the most confident-looking party member and tand where they stand

Trial two is mostly based around either/or mechanics. Like, at this point it might make you stack or spread. At this point t might make you go in or out. Then is has two big group jumprope mechanics where everyone has a slightly different job and the entire group needs to be doing it right, or multiple people will die

All three of those styles of mechanics are very common so getting used to them in the relative ease of the first trials of an expansion will pay off.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hearing that queues were longer again gave me some semblance of FOMO and I jumped back onto the queue even though I thought I was done playing earlier today lol, I am part of the problem

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Is there a preferred role for being newer to the challenging content? All of my 90s are tanks but I am flexible and will play whatever.
Am I limited by being on the Crystal DC?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

gay_crimes posted:

Is there a preferred role for being newer to the challenging content? All of my 90s are tanks but I am flexible and will play whatever.

play the role you have the most fun and/or are the most comfortable with

party finder is restricted by data center but all of them are more than capable of raiding

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hearing that queues were longer again gave me some semblance of FOMO and I jumped back onto the queue even though I thought I was done playing earlier today lol, I am part of the problem

Why though I don't understand the connection

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

drat u

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tank is the easiest role to play in high end content by far so having them as your only 90s is a boon rather than a burden. You can afford to gently caress up more and all that jazz makes learning easier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I think my ideal solution to the weaving/boss movement issue without harming the class fantasy would be to make the 1-2-3 combo not interrupt Gnashing Fang. That way you could throw in a filler GCD if you needed it much like you used to be able to with Burst Strike. I would also like to see Bloodfest become a 60 second cooldown for 2 cartridges instead of 90 seconds for 3 since that would greatly aid recovery and get GNB away from being one of the only jobs that bursts on 3 minutes instead of 2 or 1 minutes. Nerf their damage slightly to make up for the better cooldown alignment.

Yeah, I think that makes sense. If you could throw in a filler GCD from your 1-2-3 combo without breaking Gnashing Fang it'd go a long way.

It feels arbitrary that the standard 1-2-3 combo breaks Gnashing Fang anyway. Other GCDs don't, and it works fine the other way around (Gnashing Fang doesn't break the basic combo) so it seems like a change that wouldn't shake things up too badly but would make things a little more smooth.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tank might be easier mechanically, but in terms of pressure I think dps is easier just because everyone expects dps to be morons and die, while tanks have more responsibility/can wipe the group more easily. Obviously expectations for everyone rise the higher you go, and I've topped out at normal raids, but that's my sense of it there at least.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Tank might be easier mechanically, but in terms of pressure I think dps is easier just because everyone expects dps to be morons and die, while tanks have more responsibility/can wipe the group more easily. Obviously expectations for everyone rise the higher you go, and I've topped out at normal raids, but that's my sense of it there at least.

Yeah I play stoned out of mind, and so far Summoner seems great for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The hardest endgame-relevant skill for tanking is learning how to position/recenter/steer the boss, and unfortunately I haven't really seen good guides on how to do this so it's very much a "learn as you go" sort of skill, and very much one of those things where you don't notice your tank doing it until you get a bad one who doesn't.

My big piece of advice is just to be conscious of where the boss is rather than simply autopiloting. You'll start to notice things like "the boss will recenter themselves in the arena for [mechanic] soon so I shouldn't waste time moving them" whereas if you aren't really thinking about it you probably won't pick up on little tricks like that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
everyone will die constntly in learning parties. It's not like a dungeon where there's an expectation of a smooth run and deviations from that are a point of friction. Everyone will die, and is expected to do so

Tanks will die somewhat less, becaue f their high hp and defenses letting them survive at a higher number of vuln stacks

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Sinteres posted:

It's a little less likely for a tank to eat poo poo though because in like Extremes mechanics are either something everyone needs to deal with or something one person needs to deal with or everyone is punished. If it's the former, you're a tank, and you gently caress it up, a vuln stack on you is less punishing than on anyone else because you're beefier than everyone else, have defensive cooldowns, and were soaking all the heals anyway. If it's the latter and you're a tank, the mechanic is "Don't point that tankbuster at the raid or voke off the other tank when the obvious "THIS IS A TANK SWAP" mechanic happens" so it's super easy and obvious

Savage tanking is probably a little trickier but I think if I had a choice I'd rather be a tank than anything else as a newbie

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also if you're playing bad as dps people 100% notice, but you can't really say anything unless you're failing dps checks since it's not worth risking an argument that doesn't go anywhere. Whereas mentioning someone's tanking mistake is a lot easier to correct since it's usually some variation of "press your mitigation when this specific castbar appears" or "don't turn the boss for a cleave", compared to teaching someone how to do a correct dps rotation for their specific class.

e: thinking about the samurai who ate poo poo four times in one pull on my """"farm party""" and still was given dance partner for some reason

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 28, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Also if you're playing bad as dps people 100% notice, but you can't really say anything unless you're failing dps checks since it's not worth risking an argument that doesn't go anywhere.

This is my not so secret fear I knew was true all along.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Countblanc posted:

Even if people aren't raiding the Savage patch will be busy because people like capping their weekly tomes.

There aren't any weekly tomes yet :v: e: oh just saw mention of the Savage patch, nevermind!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sinteres posted:

This is my not so secret fear I knew was true all along.

If it makes you feel better DPS at least have plausible deniability since it's usually a more vague sense of huh, I could swear the boss had less health during this mechanic the last time I did this fight, and it isn't necessarily obvious who isn't pulling their weight.

Until someone banishes you to the shadow realm by pointing out the threat meters.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

gay_crimes posted:

Tanks have easy jobs in the current extremes which also works out in your favor.
Trial 1: On the tankbuster, the current tank needs to mitigate + use Shirk on the offtank, offtank has to Provoke. Otherwise follow group
Trial 2: No swaps, a few shared tankbusters that the offtank has to join in for. On add phase you each grab one tank and move them around the platform together

Sinteres posted:

Extreme and harder difficulty fights have hard timers where the boss just kills everyone (commonly known as "enrage") so DPS not doing much damage and/or dying constantly leads to hitting the enrage.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

If it makes you feel better DPS at least have plausible deniability since it's usually a more vague sense of huh, I could swear the boss had less health during this mechanic the last time I did this fight, and it isn't necessarily obvious who isn't pulling their weight.

Until someone banishes you to the shadow realm by pointing out the threat meters.

No listen the other guy's threat is so much higher than mine because of all the incidental healing their skills do. I'd be outdamaging them if they hadn't been popping Bloodbath and Second Wind on cooldown, I swear.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The two extreme fights are especially easy on tanks. You don't have to worry about boss positioning in EX1 and there's only one real spot in EX2 where you have to move the boss. The offtank in EX2 in particular has very few responsibilities, just share the marked tankbusters and pick up an add.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

To be fair, quick reaction and positioning of the adds in EX2 is quite important.

On the other hand, the positioning is "not near the things that are blatantly glowing", so y'know.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Countblanc posted:

Also if you're playing bad as dps people 100% notice, but you can't really say anything unless you're failing dps checks since it's not worth risking an argument that doesn't go anywhere.

Even so, pointing such things out risks bans if you get into a discussion on why you know a specifc player's dps is bad. So yeah, most times I just don't say anything and leave if its going nowhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mightygerm posted:

Even so, pointing such things out risks bans if you get into a discussion on why you know a specifc player's dps is bad
i am an expert in reading samurai animations and have rechecked the combat log 5000 times. honest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Begemot posted:

When is 6.1 gonna be? Some time in March?

I'm probably gonna let my sub lapse until then, don't want to level all my classes right away.

shadowbringers came out in july and 5.1 was october. stormblood was june and 4.1 was october. heavensward was july and 3.1 was november. endwalker came out in december so 6.1 will probably be late february-mid march, yeah.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Turning your tank stance off after a wipe is actually the hardest mechanic in the game

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RME posted:

Turning your tank stance off after a wipe is actually the hardest mechanic in the game

that's not even necessary so long as you remember shirk exists.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mr. Nice! posted:

that's not even necessary so long as you remember shirk exists.

I finally made a macro for this so I could justify putting it on my bar after like 3 years

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like there's every reason to suspect 6.1 will be delayed a bit. April or may just seem more plausible, though maybe they can cut stuff promised for it instead. Prove me wrong yoshider

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What is ostensibly promised for 6.1? PvP changes, alliance raid, was there anything else? Was island sanctuary slated for 6.1 or just a nebulous "after 6.0"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

What is ostensibly promised for 6.1? PvP changes, alliance raid, was there anything else? Was island sanctuary slated for 6.1 or just a nebulous "after 6.0"?

Alliance Raid, PvP, housing changes, Ishgard housing, new Hrothgar hair.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Countblanc posted:

Nothing has been promised besides the usual stuff, but there are a lot of things that are vague "6.1 or later". Hrothgals, more hats for buns and lions, expanded glam dresser, island sanctuary, the next Ultimate (Omega, I guess?), etc etc.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like there's every reason to suspect 6.1 will be delayed a bit. April or may just seem more plausible, though maybe they can cut stuff promised for it instead. Prove me wrong yoshider

If it will be, I hope they're more willing to admit it (to themselves and the community) ahead of time instead of optimistically waiting until the last minute hoping they can get it out the door on time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Begemot posted:

Nothing has been promised besides the usual stuff, but there are a lot of things that are vague "6.1 or later". Hrothgals, more hats for buns and lions, expanded glam dresser, island sanctuary, the next Ultimate (Omega, I guess?), etc etc.

Next ultimate is Thordan, isn't it?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The new gold saucer attraction also comes to mind but that could be in the vague after 6.0 category too.

Sinteres posted:

If it will be, I hope they're more willing to admit it (to themselves and the community) ahead of time instead of optimistically waiting until the last minute hoping they can get it out the door on time.

Yeah I wish. As much credit as people give yoshida for project management, mostly deservedly, it seems like a weak spot of his

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Endorph posted:

Next ultimate is Thordan, isn't it?

It's a big what-if surrounding the Dragonsong War as a whole, but yeah.