Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

:stare:

Yikes, that's seriously in need of a curb, bollards, or some kind of barrier/island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That.... can't be the intended way of operation?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fuckin bollard earning its pay today i'nnit?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

dog nougat posted:

Yikes, that's seriously in need of a curb, bollards, or some kind of barrier/island

Considering the cars coming from the right are already going the wrong way, I’m not sure that would help.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

stunned by that anchor's reaction

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

That.... can't be the intended way of operation?

It’s brief but at 7 seconds you can see the cars crossing the oncoming lane are supposed to make a u-turn but in an actual lane. There should be a barrier on the outside of that turn.

Zopotantor posted:

Considering the cars coming from the right are already going the wrong way, I’m not sure that would help.

They aren’t but I’m struggling to see what kind of need building a highway like that fills.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dog nougat posted:

Depends on what kind of bollard you use. I used to live in San Antonio and there was an exit on 410 that was right before a road people wanted to go on, like 20 feet before the road. Instead of taking an earlier exit so they could take that road, people would just take the exit and then immediately swing all the way over and then turn right. Eventually the city put up the kind of bollards that are attached to the ground but there's a joint at the bottom so someone could hit them and they would theoretically spring back up. Instead, people kept driving through them until they were all destroyed so they could make that dangerous right turn.

Zopotantor posted:

They aren't. When the camera zooms out a bit, you can see that there is one lane going that way that turns around before that big painted section. I don't know if they are later given a chance to turn again and keep going that direction, but it seems like they would rather risk a head on collision than lose a couple minutes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Zopotantor posted:

Very briefly you can see a turn lane at the bottom of the screen. It looks like the cars are supposed to be turning to go down, but instead a lot are just going straight for some reason.

Is this Hong Kong? They’re driving on the left. It’s a very odd intersection either way.

E: beaten

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

Watch again. The cars coming from the right are in a lane that's supposed to essentially make a u-turn to the left to merge with the traffic they're just running across.

e: beaten

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Please don't dox my Cities: Skylines builds.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

There definitely needs to be a barrier - at 11 seconds you can see the "source" of the cars is a U-turn lane or some kinda cloverleaf that the cars just blow through and keep going straight

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
There not even following that large striped painted arrow on the road telling them to head down straight down the middle of those three on coming traffic lanes.

They literally could not of painted that arrow any more obviously telling them where to go!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I don't understand what this intersection is trying to do. I see the traffic pattern it wants, but have no idea why anyone thought it would be a good idea.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Guy holding umbrella gets zapped by lightning, survives. Not looking good for the umbrella and I do have to wonder how he's doing.
story link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1BNXK6RdYQ

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kw0134 posted:

I don't understand what this intersection is trying to do. I see the traffic pattern it wants, but have no idea why anyone thought it would be a good idea.
Yeah its like you can put a curb and bollards and traffic terrorists will remove it with a jackhammer because the painted pattern make no sense.

If it was better framed maybe the desire lines would be more obvious but the big brain solution here is a traffic circle, which can probably even be reasonably fit into that painted space if in a weirder than optimum shape but I'm no traffic engineer either despite my pedigree of being 100% accurate about where they need to lower the road.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hellotoothpaste posted:

Worked on part of this tech, fun fact: That entire strip mall was photogrammeterized with some drones and was plopped into place instead of the actual building.

God drat that's cool as hell.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I like on the weird road junction tweet in the thumbnail you can see a bunch of parallel heavy skid tracks, each one with its own near-miss story no doubt.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cthulu Carl posted:

There definitely needs to be a barrier - at 11 seconds you can see the "source" of the cars is a U-turn lane or some kinda cloverleaf that the cars just blow through and keep going straight

Yeah, I missed that. It’s still an insanely bad layout.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Zopotantor posted:

Yeah, I missed that. It’s still an insanely bad layout.

They need to remove the pavement from the white striped area and replace it with a nice soft runaway truck area type sand. That crap will stop quickly...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Field Of Bollards: If You Build It, They Will Come To A Stop

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
mystery solved: it's china

https://twitter.com/PretendNotToBe/status/1475477915122892802?s=20

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Move

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...783!4d118.46149

Looks like the exit ramp only goes one way, so people are supposed to use that U-turn lane to go the other way after exiting. But I guess they just kinda... keep going.

The Google satellite picture looks like there's a bunch of cars and stuff stuck in that middle section, too.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
The fact that the painted lines form chevrons probably doesn't help with the confusion either

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

The fact that the painted lines form chevrons probably doesn't help with the confusion either

"Ah, this is where I get the speed boost!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around that because it appears the road arrows on the Google maps image are reversed from where they are in the video. Or maybe the resolution is just that bad.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
The TikTok logo is backwards in the video, so the video got mirrored at some point? My guess is that the Mandarin characters in the screen center are mirrored too.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The satellite pic seems to show two bidirectional roads merging at the apex of the traffic triangle, so I'm not sure that this is the spot. At least the Google map would make sense, it's a u-turn in lieu of a cloverleaf overpass, but to my eyes if you keep driving on that lane you still get taken to a merging lane that continues in the same direction.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Ah, this is where I get the speed boost!"
Goddammit, now the Excite Bike theme is stuck in my head.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sagebrush posted:

This is illegal (you have to fly over the stadium, not through it) and apparently the event is under investigation by the military and the FAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvrNs-kOVYo

cockpit video

https://i.imgur.com/OTcdPeH.mp4

I was not too long ago tasked with imagineering the worst losses of life that *client* could experience; air disaster over a football game was near the top.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

kw0134 posted:

The satellite pic seems to show two bidirectional roads merging at the apex of the traffic triangle, so I'm not sure that this is the spot. At least the Google map would make sense, it's a u-turn in lieu of a cloverleaf overpass, but to my eyes if you keep driving on that lane you still get taken to a merging lane that continues in the same direction.

I'm sure it's not that, because just for a moment try to imagine the traffic patterns that would result from two bidirectional roads just merging into each other. It would be even more insane than that video.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I phrased that poorly, basically there are two bidirectional roads, but both of them allow through traffic in a sane manner.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Field Of Bollards: If You Build It, They Will Come To A Stop

lol

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Potato Salad posted:

I was not too long ago tasked with imagineering the worst losses of life that *client* could experience; air disaster over a football game was near the top.

It was worst case scenario 45 years ago too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xknWZIAzBCc

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Flyinglemur posted:

It was worst case scenario 45 years ago too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xknWZIAzBCc

That was a lot of extras wow

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

ILL Machina posted:

That was a lot of extras wow

Had to look it up:

“ Evans helped secure the unprecedented cooperation of the National Football League and the production was allowed to film at Super Bowl X on January 18, 1976 and shoot extensive footage with the principal actors for the film's final half hour as the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Dallas Cowboys 21–17.[10] The production returned to the Miami Orange Bowl on January 29, 1976, to film the final moments of the pursuit, as the blimp crashes into the stadium. A mockup nose section of the blimp was recreated. The thousands of extras needed for this footage, which obviously could not be shot during the real Super Bowl, were instead provided by the United Way charity, in exchange for Frankenheimer directing a promotional film for them, narrated by Shaw.[9] Members of the Miami Dolphins were hired and outfitted with Cowboys and Steelers uniforms to appear in the footage as well. During filming of the chaotic scenes of panic as the blimp descends into the crowds, Dolphins player Barry Hill fell and injured himself, requiring a splint and a bandage on his right hand.[11]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sunday_(1977_film)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I can think of air disaster over a racetrack (Indy seats 257k), natural disasters, and nuclear/biological terrorism, what other horrible things did you come up with that were worse?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Otteration posted:

Had to look it up:

The thousands of extras needed for this footage, which obviously could not be shot during the real Super Bowl, were instead provided by the United Way charity, in exchange for Frankenheimer directing a promotional film for them, narrated by Shaw.

Uhh. What does that mean: "the United way provided thousands of extras"?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ILL Machina posted:

The United Way is a charity.

They got a bunch of volunteers on their mailing list to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ILL Machina posted:

kidnapping