Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Who's the parks and rec creeper

Aziz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the pants guy??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i don't like aziz and he's not funny, and he was bad in parks and everything else he's done, but that whole thing was loving stupid as poo poo. it was literally an 'oh no i had a bad date that we parted ways amicably, i'm very triggered rn' and everyone just trying to ride the hot burning coat tails of the next franken bomb. unless there's another event i'm not aware of

but aziz sucks enough that i'm cool with calling him a sex pesty creeper just for being bad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/magi_jay/status/1475536706636075013

think we can safely confirm that the backlash against this movie is entirely because it makes libs look bad now that someone was finally dumb enough to say it loud

...there is no difference between the Republicans and Democrats on this issue. That's the point.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm the "David Sirota retweeted" on his own tweet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

every vox article can be summed up as follows

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Hugo No-Weaving

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

WHOA

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah basically, if the action was better and the Analyst had been as well defined as the Architect or Oracle I think it woulda threaded the needle and been a great sequel.

I like the constant talking to and poking the audience and the way the world has changed since neo left, simultaneosly very different and the same but worse, just like real life.

It wasn't a straightforward retread which I'm happy enough with

yeah basically my thoughts exactly

liked the first half a lot more and was disappointed by the fight scenes but overall, it was okay. i actually figured out trinity would fly before neo before the reveal and thought to myself "lol can't wait for the redpillers to spaz out"

also 2 and half hours is too long

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

crepeface posted:

also 2 and half hours is too long

This is true of basically any movie

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
movie should be capped at 90 minutes and tv episodes at 45. thanks for coming to my ted talk

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

second season lilyhammer is shockingly prescient when it comes to teambuilding antiracist seminars that buy into and validate racist premises to assuage white guilt rather than doing anything even remotely useful to actual people with disadvantaged backgrounds

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

havent gotten around to the new matrix but i rewatched the original and it still goes hard

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

500 good dogs posted:

movie should be capped at 90 minutes and tv episodes at 45. thanks for coming to my ted talk

br2049 is the perfect movie, gently caress u

i could watch 4 hours of villenueve just showing the ships taking off in dune or 2049 flying over LA to some sick hans zimmer dronezone synth

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

havent gotten around to the new matrix but i rewatched the original and it still goes hard

it's weird how essentially nobody was able to capture that aesthetic as well as the first film despite it setting the tone for a generation of imitations, like the stars aligned and all the other goofy poo poo that came after were shadows on the cave wall

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

smarxist posted:

it's weird how essentially nobody was able to capture that aesthetic as well as the first film despite it setting the tone for a generation of imitations, like the stars aligned and all the other goofy poo poo that came after were shadows on the cave wall

the action in the first one is pretty silly at times but its still just barely riding the line of believability and all the imitators including the sequels felt like they had to outdo the lobby scene

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

the action in the first one is pretty silly at times but its still just barely riding the line of believability and all the imitators including the sequels felt like they had to outdo the lobby scene

the only thing i kinda sniggered at was some of the exaggerated kung fu stuff; otoh there's some great poo poo in there- the shot of trinity swinging out of the exploding helicopter loving rocks

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

the only thing i kinda sniggered at was some of the exaggerated kung fu stuff; otoh there's some great poo poo in there- the shot of trinity swinging out of the exploding helicopter loving rocks

yea inhaling a bunch of john woo movies over the last few years kinda spoiled a bit of the magic for me but its still doing all that stuff way better than any other hollywood movie

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
not a lot of other projects that wanted to ride the uber stylized action train hard bothered to bring in Yuen Woo-ping, which is why the standouts from that era seem to be his work still (CTHD, Kill Bill, hell throw in Kung Fu Hustle)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hero didn't have woo ping I don't think but yeah, pretty much everything else did

It's also a crazy historical fluke that stahelski breaking his leg doing the stunt in the subway vs agent Smith led to the wachowskis letting him hang out in the editing booth, making the wicks and getting Keanu the career resurgence that was probanly needed to greenlight matrix 4

Serf
May 5, 2011

rewatched "big trouble in little china" and that movie still rules. kurt russell and victor wong are loving perfect in that movie

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Serf posted:

rewatched "big trouble in little china" and that movie still rules. kurt russell and victor wong are loving perfect in that movie

it's such a good movie, kurt russell is an S-tier moron

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I've watched Tango & Cash an embarrassing amount of times

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

because it was completely earnest. everything from the industrial music (which whips rear end, rage, manson, rob zombie, massive attack, hell yeah loving owned) to the bullet time to the kung fu to the trench coats and mirror sunglasses was actually quite earnest. it really believed in itself thinking "this loving kicks rear end". it never tried to brow-beat itself over it's aesthetic, it never tried to play along with the audience going "haha ya this is silly and stupid m i rite? ya we know it too"

and unfortunately with anything popular that is earnest, the problem then became pop culture and pop-culture lampooning quickly feasting onto it like parasites descending upon a beached whale carcass. 'pop culture' (this is not the right phrase but I'm stumped for a better encapsulation) needs to feast upon earnesty to exist. and what has happened in media is generally being taken over by over-educated self-aware "irony" brain poisoned people and mindset. people these days would go "oh no everyone made fun of bullet time and industrial metal and trench coats, we can't do that ugh look at how cringe it would be, but what if we put some self-aware whedon quips??" and that would just completely poison itself.

i could write more about it but i'm wiped out. people generally want to think of themselves above the sheeple, that they see beyond the veil and 'get everything', to not be a target of ridicule that you have seen others undergo or partook in the chorus yourself; and the sort of 'irony' or rather lack of earnestness is a way to hide vulnerabilities and close off yourself. to always pretend to be one-step along with the crowd, beheading of any potential criticism or ridicule by not even believing in it yourself. but doing this outright kills the soul because now you truly believe in nothing, not even yourself. this manifested in media in a bad way especially by the year 2001+. DFW spent a lot of time talking about the mental toxicity of 'postmodernism irony cynicism' (especially in media) and wanting to people to move beyond it; and like him or not, he was right.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Dec 28, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

smarxist posted:

I've watched Tango & Cash an embarrassing amount of times

Serf posted:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
does this thread gently caress with YouTube creators? because Joel Haver is the funniest young dude I've seen come along in literal decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMekubv3qNM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

smarxist posted:

does this thread gently caress with YouTube creators? because Joel Haver is the funniest young dude I've seen come along in literal decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMekubv3qNM

lost me at “isn’t it funny I don’t know how to use a shovel”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm 60+ years too late but drat Hiroshima Mon Amour is so loving good. I have bad attention span and managed to be entranced by this movie that's basically just two people talking the entire time. Well, okay, the last 10-20 minutes lost some of the magic but otherwise what a film

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
pleaae do not forget sammo hung

https://twitter.com/realJackEason/status/1464639466665123847?t=1mBhH0HkMM6MnkuoDVd6IA&s=19

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
he died of covid

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
he died with covid actually.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

he certainly didn't die of malnutrition

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StashAugustine posted:

Think ill just smoke up and do this

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Serf posted:

its one of those little perfect gems

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

recommended the movie to my friendchat

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The movie didn't go hard on liberals enough when it was clear the White House was more Trumpian than Biden or Obama-esque. And the legacy newspaper was portrayed at least somewhat sympathetically initially.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

recommended the movie to my friendchat

nobody knows who is who in this exchange

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

watching the matrix and it looks like poo poo!! like the netflix cowboy bebop what is going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If Don’t Look Up really wanted to go the distance it would have ended with the entire cast getting torn apart by an angry mob Day of the Dead style, denied even the hollow comfort of lying to themselves about all they did