Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/YaBoiFlyman/status/1475071813872803845?t=ZaK9d_unwtheVhtuCrhgEw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Markplier is a pretty handsome dude. Discuss.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its a miracle markiplier has managed to stay safe from the la gangs for so long

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no opinion on lindsay ellis but I legit can't think of a good reason for people to find out they're fired from a patreon post, because it sure seems like that's what she's doing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She fired herself

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i believe this is in reference to the 8 employees she has that were referenced in the patreon post

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

She fired herself
She has other people on staff but the posts implies she going to try and support them someway.

Even from the responses and what the page itself this has been coming for a while and they definitely discussed this before.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

also putting aside the actual whole thing, i just want to say that if i was doing a youtube channel where i just talked about poo poo for an hour and it blew up to the point where it needed employees, multiple, i would have extremely bailed on that project. that is way too much responsibility and stuff placed on a very fragile vocation. not a dig or anything, just my honest gut reaction to hearing that

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, I guess that explains why there won't be any more MusicalSplaining episodes :(

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Well, I guess that explains why there won't be any more MusicalSplaining episodes :(

Maybe not though? These posts were made a week ago, but hopefully they're still truckin.

https://twitter.com/kavehtaherian/status/1473092333591674884?s=20

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I would utterly hate being a YouTuber or a Twitch partner. Just churning out content constantly for the Internet just consumes you. I can't stand watching people on Twitch that have reached a large enough threshold that they are constantly talking about money and what works on stream and what doesn't. There's a lot of overlap with self-published writers and freelancers that just constantly have to push their brand and product, because if you're not grinding, you're not earning. It just totally consumes you.

Lindsay had an interview on Double Toasted where she and Korey Coleman talked about how being an online personality is so overwhelming. You can't just go to work and come home and be away from it. You're just on all the time. The separation from your working life and your private life just starts to disappear. I feel like some of her stress was self-inflicted, but once you dive into the online discourse and the gossip, it's just so hard to pull up and get out of it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Star Man posted:

I would utterly hate being a YouTuber or a Twitch partner. Just churning out content constantly for the Internet just consumes you. I can't stand watching people on Twitch that have reached a large enough threshold that they are constantly talking about money and what works on stream and what doesn't. There's a lot of overlap with self-published writers and freelancers that just constantly have to push their brand and product, because if you're not grinding, you're not earning. It just totally consumes you.

Lindsay had an interview on Double Toasted where she and Korey Coleman talked about how being an online personality is so overwhelming. You can't just go to work and come home and be away from it. You're just on all the time. The separation from your working life and your private life just starts to disappear. I feel like some of her stress was self-inflicted, but once you dive into the online discourse and the gossip, it's just so hard to pull up and get out of it.
Her 'Mask Off' video was pretty eye opening in a lot of ways and it frustrates me that a lot of her worst critics were going to completely write that video off because it was so long. Everything she was saying was valid, especially the parts about YouTubers being regular people without a dedicated PR staff that actual celebrities and public figures have...they are, in a lot of ways, completely on their own when poo poo hits the fan.

It sucks. I -liked- Nostalgia Critic videos, but Lindsey's videos were the ones I'd go back and watch two or three times. Same can be said when she struck out on her own. She really got me in to longer-form video essays and it sucks to see her go, but at the same time I don't blame her at all. She just had a contingency of people aways wanting to read her in the worst faith.

Edit: it was because of her that I got in to Hadestown last year during some of the worst of the pandemic :(

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 28, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Is she a human being? The scientific evidence just isn't out yet

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
She's a YouTuber, so....

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Happy Landfill posted:

She's a YouTuber, so....

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This sucks. Her videos on the Hobbit are real standouts in the YouTube documentary format.

Honestly this thread is pretty guilty of amplifying toxicity and harassing people. Locking it would be a positive move.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

This sucks. Her videos on the Hobbit are real standouts in the YouTube documentary format.

Honestly this thread is pretty guilty of amplifying toxicity and harassing people. Locking it would be a positive move.

can you name these toxic people

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

Why do you think doing that would be helpful?

Are you going to cure toxicity by provoking more toxicity?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Booklegger posted:

Why do you think doing that would be helpful?

Are you going to cure toxicity by provoking more toxicity?

the problem isn't people per say

the problem is the medium

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Ash Crimson posted:

Koga, poison type leader of the Fuschia City gym

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

As someone who had extremely bad year I cant imagine how worse my brain would have been from emotionally investing in what online people say so I can only recommend not being online too hard and not making your income dependent on the online blob if possible.

Hope the books thing is working out for her.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 28, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Ash Crimson posted:

Just because guns kill people doesn't one shouldn't judged for going along with gun culture.

No poo poo the medium sucks that's not an excuse.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

Okay, but like, that's a cop out. The post you quoted didn't say "toxic people" it said "toxicity". You then ascribe this toxicity to people, and then (perhaps Socraticly, idk) ask to have these people named.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Bug Squash posted:

It's kinda funny seeing the Lindsay Ellis discussion come up right after the Tom Scott discussion like it's two separate things.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Solar Tornado posted:

It's kinda funny seeing the Lindsay Ellis discussion come up right after the Tom Scott discussion like it's two separate things.
Some people have been a bit too bad faith about but for the most part even Ellis seems to agree with us on this: https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1475560170713333762

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Rockit posted:

Some people have been a bit too bad faith about but for the most part even Ellis seems to agree with us on this: https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1475560170713333762

Have I jabroni'd myself...?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Booklegger posted:

Okay, but like, that's a cop out. The post you quoted didn't say "toxic people" it said "toxicity". You then ascribe this toxicity to people, and then (perhaps Socraticly, idk) ask to have these people named.

okay but can you name these people

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
oh, the forums can be bad because people love drama (me included, I'm messy), but twitter just makes it like a billion times worse

- it's way too easy to remove anything from context
- people can direct waves of people at you effortlessly and without you knowing
- some people are dedicated to reading bad faith into everything you write, and character limit sure makes it a lot easier
- one influential person making a dumb criticism of you can go viral
- suddenly everyone who's ever had any problem with you wants to spill
- defending yourself just makes it worse

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ash Crimson posted:

What is the point of this bit?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

jackofarcades posted:

oh, the forums can be bad because people love drama (me included, I'm messy), but twitter just makes it like a billion times worse

- it's way too easy to remove anything from context
- people can direct waves of people at you effortlessly and without you knowing
- some people are dedicated to reading bad faith into everything you write, and character limit sure makes it a lot easier
- one influential person making a dumb criticism of you can go viral
- suddenly everyone who's ever had any problem with you wants to spill
- defending yourself just makes it worse

Also numbers go up

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I watched that video Lindsey did about the twitter mob coming after her and I still have no loving clue what she was cancelled about. Not respecting some dumb Disney show centring Asian voices or some such nonsense?

Sad to see it affected her so badly, she made good videos.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

This person has exclusively posted about how lindsay deserved to be harassed but only a little and also started the sealion argument

Pachylad posted:

The nicest thing I'll say about Lindsay Ellis's news is that she's broadly right about the Discourse devouring all and some aspects of her getting criticism stemmed from her being a woman as yes if she was one of those 'good, progressive cis, straight, wealthy white men' the blowback would be less severe.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i would simply ban the people who touch the poop so that the people who like to see funny youtube videos can enjoy

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

fun hater posted:

i would simply ban the people who touch the poop so that the people who like to see funny youtube videos can enjoy

I'm assuming touching the poop also means not touching twitter where the person says not to start poo poo.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Blocking twitter links forum-wide is the single greatest thing that can be done to increase the quality and decrease the toxicity. everywhere. Half the threads will probably die because they're just reposting and reacting to tweets, but it is a price worth paying to have one tiny corner of the internet free of that writhing mass of eldritch horror that consumes all other content in its wake.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Star Man posted:

I would utterly hate being a YouTuber or a Twitch partner. Just churning out content constantly for the Internet just consumes you. I can't stand watching people on Twitch that have reached a large enough threshold that they are constantly talking about money and what works on stream and what doesn't.

I came pretty close to getting Twitch partner in the last couple years (had the numbers consistently, regularly over a hundred concurrent viewers, but was always just slightly below the bar) and in retrospect letting the whole thing go before I actually got there was the best thing I could have done. I wasn't trying to do it for a living, either. COVID meant I never left the house and I'm a decent live producer (part of my day job is producing software developer conferences) so I started doing fighting game tournaments and people liked them so it started growing. Some of the bigger names in Tekken started commentating and playing in the brackets I ran, so they started getting bigger. Then, suddenly, because I was willing to say such bold and controversial things like "transphobes are not welcome in my events" I was getting my own share of harassment from shitheads and from the better quarters of the community I was suddenly getting asked to weigh in on this or that bullshit from this or that idiot in the community, like I was suddenly responsible for everybody who played Tekken. And I've got under 2,000 followers on Twitter and Twitch -- I cannot fathom the shitstorm folks with ten or a hundred times that following get all the time, unendingly.

Even though I wasn't trying to do it for a living and even though I was dreading almost every event I ran? The numbers kept going up, and that check mark would be really cool, right? My mood directly reflected whether my numbers were better than other people's, even those of people I considered friends (actual friends--and they've quit running events too). It wasn't why me and my SO of three years broke up, but it was a hell of a contributing factor, having my mood obviously keyed on how many people (not "did any", but how many) showed up to watch. If I'd gotten partner it probably would have harmed my job (which is way less work for a way more predictable paycheck) and would have stapled my self-worth to the algorithm on ways I don't know if I could have walked back from.

My events did some pretty cool stuff in there too. Through like six charity events we raised about $25K for a bunch of good causes. But everything else melted my loving brain and it took months to get myself right. People I know are still trying to make partner. They dismiss me when I say the above. They think it's what they want. the weirdest thing to me is how aimless it seems. I started running events because it was COVID and we couldn't do offline Tekken tournaments. These folks say they want to "create content". Not say something, or make art, or even entertain. They want to Create Content, as if that's an end into itself. I don't get it.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 28, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

What is the point of this bit?

There isn't a single non toxic person on the internet, we all reinforce this poo poo be it intentionally or otherwise, the only winning move is to not play at all

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

Blocking twitter links forum-wide is the single greatest thing that can be done to increase the quality and decrease the toxicity. everywhere. Half the threads will probably die because they're just reposting and reacting to tweets, but it is a price worth paying to have one tiny corner of the internet free of that writhing mass of eldritch horror that consumes all other content in its wake.

They would just post screenshots of tweets instead

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Rockit posted:

I'm assuming touching the poop also means not touching twitter where the person says not to start poo poo.

huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I Before E posted:

They would just post screenshots of tweets instead

ban on sight imo