Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
lindsay ellis is so dramatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If Don’t Look Up really wanted to go the distance it would have ended with the entire cast getting torn apart by an angry mob Day of the Dead style, denied even the hollow comfort of lying to themselves about all they did

But that would have betrayed the theme. The point is we’re not even going to get some cathartic rending of the flesh like you desire. We’re going to get quiet denial and hyper-focus on the inconsequential up until the very end.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

watching the matrix and it looks like poo poo!! like the netflix cowboy bebop what is going on

HDR was a mistake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

nobody knows who is who in this exchange

this is it the definitive statement on dont look up discourse

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Judakel posted:

lindsay ellis is so dramatic

oh no where am i going to get my hour long kid's cartoon analysis videos from now

jk she's probably one of the more tolerable breadtubers, probably cos she mostly sticks to pop culture

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Laterite posted:

HDR was a mistake

it looks good op

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

But that would have betrayed the theme. The point is we’re not even going to get some cathartic rending of the flesh like you desire. We’re going to get quiet denial and hyper-focus on the inconsequential up until the very end.

yeah i liked the dinner table scene of literally ignoring impending death because they convinced themselves "hey what else can we do, we tried our danged-est"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jacobin did another pop culture article

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
is emplemon a creep or something because i really loved his video about Home Movies

edit:
linking cuz its good, it's that same-y youtube doc voice guy kinda delivery, but i think he was one of the earlier ones doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6U9amcfU-s

smarxist has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Dec 28, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I knew Jacobin's pop culture articles weren't worth reading when they thought Wolf of Wall Street was pro Wall Street.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

jacobin did another pop culture article

taking a moment to appreciate that this dipshit would swear up and down that lion king is a remake of hamlet because were at the stage where remake discourse is based entirely on smug ability to regurgitate shallow half remembered bullshit from decades old interviews rather than any sort of media literacy in terms of being able to detect similarities in narrative structure

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

I knew Jacobin's pop culture articles weren't worth reading when they thought Wolf of Wall Street was pro Wall Street.

:psyduck:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

hahahaha

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
is station eleven good

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

500 good dogs posted:

is station eleven good

the book was really sweet and resonating, dunno about the show

its very hopeful and sincere, for post collapse fiction

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
things are finally coming up moviebob

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
shadow of a doubt (1943, Hitchcock) has spellbinding camerawork. the crane shot in the library, the tracking shot as Charlie walks into the house as her uncle talks to her mother, the internal frame of Charlie standing outside the door at the bottom of the steps. it's a real visual treat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Judakel posted:

things are finally coming up moviebob

Do I want to know

Of course, I do, but so to speak

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

smarxist posted:

is emplemon a creep or something because i really loved his video about Home Movies

From what I can piece together he's been on the Internet long enough to know not to air any kind of politically personal opinions.

He got famous making YTP as a kid, and later got kicked out of that community for being successful at it. Being irony-poisoned that early probably gave him a perspective on the do's and don'ts on the internet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

us itt

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

i drank a bottle of wine while watching the new matrix movie and it significantly enhanced the experience. it owns that lana made the analyst spew ben shapiro rhetoric about facts and feelings and then later had trinity kick his jaw off his face.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serf posted:

rewatched "big trouble in little china" and that movie still rules. kurt russell and victor wong are loving perfect in that movie

Genuinely perfect movie, and absolutely hilarious that john carpenter made it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mandatory lesbian posted:

absolutely hilarious that john carpenter made it
not really, john carpenter is like one of the top movie directors of all time and everything he makes is perfect. it would make sense that a perfect film like big trouble was a carpenter movie

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Xaris posted:

not really, john carpenter is like one of the top movie directors of all time and everything he makes is perfect. it would make sense that a perfect film like big trouble was a carpenter movie

Yeah hes one of my favorite but big trouble is quite the shift from the thing, or they live or in the nouth of madness, or the fog or

Well you get the picture

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do I want to know

Lindsay Ellis completed her self immolation with a genuinely embarrassing patreon post

more of a testament to the importance of knowing when to log off than eternal validation for moviebob though

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the curse of assad but for people who publicly disowned moviebob

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

not even public lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

not even public lol
https://web.archive.org/web/20211228021744/https://www.patreon.com/posts/60406124

LGD posted:

Lindsay Ellis completed her self immolation with a genuinely embarrassing patreon post

more of a testament to the importance of knowing when to log off than eternal validation for moviebob though
eh, there's a lot there that... as the cool kids would say, 'cringe', but i do somewhat feel bad for her because the whole thing was stupid as poo poo over some nickolodean anime show joke that was way misinterpreted by twit libs. and if there's one group of ppl that are uniquely awful it's ravenous hyena twitter/breadtube libs

but she's been on the internet for a very long time and should have known thats how these things go and was inevitable. she ran enough in breadtube-adjacent circles to know it; hell i think she even partook in many lib feeding frenzies, and it's not like she spoke out against all twitter freaks when the Isabelle Fall thing happened despite trying to invoke it now. infact she was cool with everything until the eye of sauron looked at her. the major cringe element is somehow not having learned that lesson. perhaps lowtax's only and lasting parting wisdom is that the internet makes you stupid.

e: fixed link

Xaris has issued a correction as of 13:34 on Dec 28, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LGD posted:

Kinda rude to make this big post about ending your career and then not ending the patreon thats meant to sponser said career

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mandatory lesbian posted:

Kinda rude to make this big post about ending your career and then not ending the patreon thats meant to sponser said career
eh. i find it hard to believe there's an actual team shes paying but it makes sense if true

quote:

What I wanted was to quietly disappear, but since this is a platform where people are paying me to make content, I feel like I have to make a statement. If it were just me by myself I would just sign off and say goodbye and that would be it, but I have a team who depends on my company for health insurance, and including dependents I supply full benefits for eight people, and here in the US employer-based insurance is often the only feasible option. Saying to everyone “sorry about your children, but they can’t have insurance anymore because Twitter makes me sad” just doesn’t seem like a fair deal

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Avatar tho is very much 'you come at the king, you best not miss' territory

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Two siding the Isabel Fall ordeal, specially given how it ended, was what made me go "Yeah no wonder you privated this."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Xaris posted:

eh. i find it hard to believe there's an actual team shes paying but it makes sense if true

I can’t believe a person making 200k/year supplied “full benefits” to eight people

e: lmao did she implicitly compare herself to the tortured child from Omelas. I know nothing about this person or the drama that surrounds them, but I very much dislike them after reading just the title

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
ellis comparing herself to isabel fall is some cringe poo poo. fall is a transwoman (was, she's destransitioned -- you'll see) who wrote a short story. some big names in publishing said it was obviously a cis man pretending to be trans based on the title and woke up a hate mob. fall had the story taken down, abandoned her writing career, and detransitioned. the people who kicked it off deleted their tweets and have faced zero repercussions, weaponzing idpol rhetoric to call trans people racist and transphobic. ellis... said some dumb stuff on twitter, got a three-book publishing deal where she wrote two bad books, and seems to have self-immolated in a bizarre ramble of a post comparing herself to one of the more odious things to happen in sf/f publishing in recent memory.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do I want to know

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Lindsay%20Ellis%22&src=trend_click&pt=1475645286617735172&vertical=trends

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LGD posted:

she fired a bunch of people with that post, too

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I give it a few months before her next 3 hour navelgazing life story video

I like her hunchback of notre dame vid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the isabell fall saga is so incredible it's ridiculous to compare yourself to it. the publisher saying the mistake was having just one trans sensitivity reader instead of multiple, critics screaming that fall's birth year of 1988 mean heil hitler, it had loving everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa: