Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cpt Soban posted:

No dramas, even if it's a spot to chat that'll be fine.

@cptsoban
You're already in the guild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I would love a guild invite @grimnebulyn :)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Thanks, guys for telling me a bit about the game. I'm really enjoying it even though I'm only a baby level 21. I got ESO Plus and wow the craft bag is great. I'm not sure how you could play without it. I guess you could but it would be a forever hassle.

edit: I'm still leery about selling some stuff that makes up the sets and things since I'm not exactly sure how all that work, but at least I have some space for it for now.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 19, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

Thanks, guys for telling me a bit about the game. I'm really enjoying it even though I'm only a baby level 21. I got ESO Plus and wow the craft bag is great. I'm not sure how you could play without it. I guess you could but it would be a forever hassle.

edit: I'm still leery about selling some stuff that makes up the sets and things since I'm not exactly sure how all that work, but at least I have some space for it for now.

The highest level items are CP 160, anything below that can safely be tossed. Set items will automatically be added to your collection as they are vendored or deconstructed, and way later in the game you'll be able to craft high level versions of everything in the collection.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

And by ‘tossed’ I’m sure they mean ‘deconstructed’

Don’t ‘toss’ anything unless there’s no other choice.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Unless you plan on doing a bunch of veteran dungeons and trials you don't even really need to worry too much about which sets you're using. They all mostly have pretty neat and useful effects, especially with the full 5 piece bonus. Use whichever one sounds the coolest or works with your playstyle the best, even if it's not the most optimal. Mix and match sets, the full bonus requires only 5 pieces and you obviously have way more than 5 equipment slots.

Honestly ESO is so easy you could be butt naked at cp 160 and you could still do all of the solo stuff just fine.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fruits of the sea posted:

+
The highest level items are CP 160, anything below that can safely be tossed. Set items will automatically be added to your collection as they are vendored or deconstructed, and way later in the game you'll be able to craft high level versions of everything in the collection.

That's good to know. I'm getting used to selling/deconstructing things that appear special. I'm only level 30.

I also have questions about guilds. I've just started trying to buy things from guilds and is there like some easy way to comparison shop or to find a guild store that sells in lower quantities? Like I need only a couple dozen of something which I don't think are particularly rare I just haven't come across a lot of them, but the prices seem really high per item and also everywhere I've checked are selling them in stacks of like a hundred, when I need nothing like that amount as a dumb baby 30.

Mustang posted:

Unless you plan on doing a bunch of veteran dungeons and trials you don't even really need to worry too much about which sets you're using. They all mostly have pretty neat and useful effects, especially with the full 5 piece bonus. Use whichever one sounds the coolest or works with your playstyle the best, even if it's not the most optimal. Mix and match sets, the full bonus requires only 5 pieces and you obviously have way more than 5 equipment slots.

Honestly ESO is so easy you could be butt naked at cp 160 and you could still do all of the solo stuff just fine.

I'm hoping to do that stuff but it's obviously a long ways off for me!

I'm going to start some of the battlegrounds stuff, but I don't have a mic and kinda expect everyone to yell at me for sucking.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

On pc there's tamriel trade centre, a website that compiles many prices and makes things searchable and filterable, but your microphone comment makes me think you're on console, in which case no, there's no easy way to comparison shop. You can use the TTC website to give you a sense of relative rarity, things that are cheap on PC will be cheap on console and vice versa, but the actual price numbers won't correspond. Something that's 20k on PC might be 10k on a different platform. Even NA/EU have different economies.

Mats are sold in large quantities because there's a limit of 30 sales slots, so unless it's a really expensive rare material it's not worth listing in small stacks.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mustang posted:

One of my guilds on PSN had a weekly Naked Fishing night and we would always also kill the world bosses naked so yeah this checks out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rediscovered ESO as a chill as gently caress bathrobe-and-slippers MMO over the past week of Christmas vacation and it kinda feels great.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

On pc there's tamriel trade centre, a website that compiles many prices and makes things searchable and filterable, but your microphone comment makes me think you're on console, in which case no, there's no easy way to comparison shop. You can use the TTC website to give you a sense of relative rarity, things that are cheap on PC will be cheap on console and vice versa, but the actual price numbers won't correspond. Something that's 20k on PC might be 10k on a different platform. Even NA/EU have different economies.

Mats are sold in large quantities because there's a limit of 30 sales slots, so unless it's a really expensive rare material it's not worth listing in small stacks.

Thanks. I'm learning more about how it all works.

Drone posted:

Rediscovered ESO as a chill as gently caress bathrobe-and-slippers MMO over the past week of Christmas vacation and it kinda feels great.

It's fun times! I met a naked, hungover nord!

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Decided to give this some more time after a fairly long break. However, it looks like all my skill and champion points are reset. The Champion point trees appear to have had a pretty big rework or rearranging anyway.

I frankly cannot recall much about how I had my old skills set up and it's a lot of points to sort out. What's the best sort for functional walkthroughs to get me back up to speed again?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It's kind of snobbed on, but builds from https://alcasthq.com/ are fine for a "I have no idea what's going on, get me going".

And solo content you could do really with any gear set anyways. Same for non-vet dungeons and stuff (maybe some newer dlc ones might give more trouble with a haphazard set).

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I'm about to hit 50 and have no idea how the CP are going to work. I also just started playing PvP for the first time ever in a game. My teams did pretty good without any helpful contributions on my part!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm about to hit 50 and have no idea how the CP are going to work. I also just started playing PvP for the first time ever in a game. My teams did pretty good without any helpful contributions on my part!
The first bunch of CP levels go fast. Just dump points into the passives and you won't go wrong. Each individual CP point is pretty worthless, but they add up. When you get high enough or stop finding passives that seem worthwhile, you can stop and take a look at the slottables. If you do that too early you'll just be frustrated by not being able to actually put points into things that seem interesting.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The first bunch of CP levels go fast. Just dump points into the passives and you won't go wrong. Each individual CP point is pretty worthless, but they add up. When you get high enough or stop finding passives that seem worthwhile, you can stop and take a look at the slottables. If you do that too early you'll just be frustrated by not being able to actually put points into things that seem interesting.

So can you shed some like on if the CP levels fill the same stuff like my slottables and stuff I unlock now, or is it an entirely different tree?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

1glitch0 posted:

So can you shed some like on if the CP levels fill the same stuff like my slottables and stuff I unlock now, or is it an entirely different tree?
It's entirely different.

All CP things are gameplay passive. Some CP things are fully passive in that you put the points in and you have them. The slottables are "passive when slotted" meaning you have to decide which 4 you want to slot in each tree.

There are 3 trees. Roughly Green: non-combat, Red: Defense, Blue: Offense.
Each tree has separate points, so you're never trading one off for another. On the flip side, this, plus the fact that most things get filled in groups of 5/10/15, means a single CP point means little.
CP levels go up super fast at the start, then each level requires a tiny bit more than the previous one. Going from CP10 to 160 is roughly comparable to going from 45 to 50.

You can change slottables roughly at will (there's a short cooldown and you can't switch in combat) and respec is 3k gold.

The CP trees are trees with prerequisites so while a CP node might require 50 points, you might not be able to actually reach it until you have 150 or 200 points. CP 600(200 in each tree) or so is where you start to have decisions to make rather than just putting points in passives. It sounds daunting, but 600 isn't hard to get to with the new CP system. On the flip side, 1500-1600 is about where the power ends, you can get all the passives and 4 full slottables, so it's just about flexibility from there, being able to have multiple slotables you can switch without respeccing.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

xZAOx posted:

It's kind of snobbed on, but builds from https://alcasthq.com/ are fine for a "I have no idea what's going on, get me going".

And solo content you could do really with any gear set anyways. Same for non-vet dungeons and stuff (maybe some newer dlc ones might give more trouble with a haphazard set).

Good enough for me. I just want to get into a functional state and alter it from there. Thanks!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's entirely different.

All CP things are gameplay passive. Some CP things are fully passive in that you put the points in and you have them. The slottables are "passive when slotted" meaning you have to decide which 4 you want to slot in each tree.

There are 3 trees. Roughly Green: non-combat, Red: Defense, Blue: Offense.
Each tree has separate points, so you're never trading one off for another. On the flip side, this, plus the fact that most things get filled in groups of 5/10/15, means a single CP point means little.
CP levels go up super fast at the start, then each level requires a tiny bit more than the previous one. Going from CP10 to 160 is roughly comparable to going from 45 to 50.

You can change slottables roughly at will (there's a short cooldown and you can't switch in combat) and respec is 3k gold.

The CP trees are trees with prerequisites so while a CP node might require 50 points, you might not be able to actually reach it until you have 150 or 200 points. CP 600(200 in each tree) or so is where you start to have decisions to make rather than just putting points in passives. It sounds daunting, but 600 isn't hard to get to with the new CP system. On the flip side, 1500-1600 is about where the power ends, you can get all the passives and 4 full slottables, so it's just about flexibility from there, being able to have multiple slotables you can switch without respeccing.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for that! So do the skyshards still go to my regular skill tree I have now? I'm almost to 50 now and I don't have nearly everything unlocked on this tree that I want...

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

1glitch0 posted:

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for that! So do the skyshards still go to my regular skill tree I have now? I'm almost to 50 now and I don't have nearly everything unlocked on this tree that I want...
Yeah, skyshards and quests and dungeons still go to the normal skills.
There are plenty of skill points in the game for everything you'd want, though it can take some grinding.

Here's an image of all the skill points as of Blackwood:

There are an additional 9 for the deadlands storyline, 2 from the 6 skyshards and 1 each from the last 2 dungeons, Red Petal Bastion and Dread Cellar. So the game is up to 494 total skill points.

So do dungeons and public dungeon group bosses for some quick skill points if you don't want to do quests or skyshards. Only 64 of the 494 come from leveling up. 50 come from PVP of which the last 40 are hard to get if you don't PVP regularly.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah, skyshards and quests and dungeons still go to the normal skills.
There are plenty of skill points in the game for everything you'd want, though it can take some grinding.

Here's an image of all the skill points as of Blackwood:

There are an additional 9 for the deadlands storyline, 2 from the 6 skyshards and 1 each from the last 2 dungeons, Red Petal Bastion and Dread Cellar. So the game is up to 494 total skill points.

So do dungeons and public dungeon group bosses for some quick skill points if you don't want to do quests or skyshards. Only 64 of the 494 come from leveling up. 50 come from PVP of which the last 40 are hard to get if you don't PVP regularly.

This is extremely helpful. Part of the fun of the game has been to discover how to play it since it gives you virtually no guidance.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Idk what you mean by snobbed on but I always recommended people start out with a basic Alcast build since they're solid enough to get people into the early game easily. In fact I don't think anyone ever snobbed on them outside of maybe the NefasQS clique but that was mainly out of obligation since they have competing sites/builds to hock at people.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Synthwave Crusader posted:

Idk what you mean by snobbed on but I always recommended people start out with a basic Alcast build since they're solid enough to get people into the early game easily. In fact I don't think anyone ever snobbed on them outside of maybe the NefasQS clique but that was mainly out of obligation since they have competing sites/builds to hock at people.

They are very commonly snobbed on in most ESO communities but do fill a niche for new players. Namely they are all the same bones and not optimized like other better builds might be. I find them incredibly boring as a newer player because he just staples the same skills and layout onto every class he can.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ort posted:

They are very commonly snobbed on in most ESO communities but do fill a niche for new players. Namely they are all the same bones and not optimized like other better builds might be. I find them incredibly boring as a newer player because he just staples the same skills and layout onto every class he can.

"Most ESO communities" is, like, vet trial runners and hardcore pvp players, right.

Even then they're pretty solid. Yeah they're very similar but that's because there's only so much you can do if you want to make a decent build.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, don't think this thread snobbed on it, but they get kind of a "basic bitch" vibe in Reddit and in game. Not that I care about either, I only did dungeon queue stuff and some things with friends.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I used Alcast guides for my first 2 characters but ended up having more fun picking my own skills. I may not be close to optimal but for what I do, it's fine.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I have about 200 CP points in each tree that are unspent (current CP level is around 900) and I solo most thing that are not Vet or trials. I can solo most world bosses but its a long slog. I've just been too lazy to go back in and assign the points and I don't need to for most of the stuff I do now.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Sorry, cross-posting from MMO Chat: how big is the goon presence in this game? I’m debating on getting it and would love to roll in a guild for end game antics and text chatting while playing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sailormoon posted:

Sorry, cross-posting from MMO Chat: how big is the goon presence in this game? I’m debating on getting it and would love to roll in a guild for end game antics and text chatting while playing.
Not big enough for that kind of thing, unfortunately. ESO is the "pretend you're playing a single player game, except there are other people around" MMO for a big chunk of the player base. There are end game PVP communities like that in the game, but the SA one isn't, though it sounds like it may have been at one point and some of those people are still around so maybe they can speak more to that.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I haven't played much in quite a while, but the word in the thread is that you might find some people to chat with in the goon guild maybe, at some hours. Basically no end game there though. The game itself seems to have moved to a mostly a solo theme from what I hear, but there's a ton of content there. You can join up to 5 guilds at once though, so there's probably some guild out there partying it up and doing things so if that's the case you could do both, but the goon guild is pretty much just a low-key chat channel.

e: speaking for the NA server, can't say for PS or EU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ESO is TES 6-10 in terms of content

seriously they could just ship an offline copy of Elsweyr and call it the next installment of The Elder Scrolls

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Can I get an EU invite? @ramcd86

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Ape Fist posted:

Can I get an EU invite? @ramcd86

I never got a response when i asked a couple times like a year ago. Im not sure an EU goon guild exists anymore.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Xinder posted:

I never got a response when i asked a couple times like a year ago. Im not sure an EU goon guild exists anymore.

Oh. :smith:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Potato Salad posted:

ESO is TES 6-10 in terms of content

seriously they could just ship an offline copy of Elsweyr and call it the next installment of The Elder Scrolls

Yeah. And Morrowind 2

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Is there a way to tell when a quest is going to ship you across the world? I like to stick to one area and do as much there before moving on but I've noticed a lot of quests just hop me somewhere different and its driving me crazy. Also i keep ending up in morrowind and am unsure how to leave (stupid loving black isle )

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Is there a way to tell when a quest is going to ship you across the world? I like to stick to one area and do as much there before moving on but I've noticed a lot of quests just hop me somewhere different and its driving me crazy. Also i keep ending up in morrowind and am unsure how to leave (stupid loving black isle )

I usually just completely ignore quests that get sorted under "Prologue" in the quest log, as these are usually breadcrumbs to other regions.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Are we thinking the Daedric War Celebration is going to start around the 24th, based on the unlock dates of the items shown in the Crown Store Showcase?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cygna posted:

Are we thinking the Daedric War Celebration is going to start around the 24th, based on the unlock dates of the items shown in the Crown Store Showcase?
20th most likely, since events have been starting on Thursdays for quite a while now. 27th is less likely, 24th is least likely (of the three).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Teaser for the next chapter: boats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2e8SCyb2mc

Reveal is Jan 27