Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

QuarkJets posted:

Composite video does not make everything grey lol

No, but apparently your memory makes things more colorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Not gonna lie that's a pretty stupid argument to have.

Reminds me of the time my cousin insisted Gunstar Heroes (sega megadrive/genesis) was so visually stimulating because japanese have better tolerance to blinking lights because their eyes are smaller. And then he put his index fingers to his temples and pulled back.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vic posted:

Not gonna lie that's a pretty stupid argument to have.

Reminds me of the time my cousin insisted Gunstar Heroes (sega megadrive/genesis) was so visually stimulating because japanese have better tolerance to blinking lights because their eyes are smaller. And then he put his index fingers to his temples and pulled back.

Look, I try my best to be charitable. Because I remembered that that's just what the game looked like in terms of saturation for both pc and console, the options were this guy is specifically wrong about this game that he says he clearly remembers being different, which seems really rude to accuse someone of for no reason, or he must mean something more nuanced, which could still potentially mean he's right, in a way. I see now that my mistake was giving him the benefit of the doubt

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It’s just a lovely screenshot, the game looked fine on the 360 lol

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sword of Sodan had some interesting ideas and it is one of many games that would be nice to see remade in a game jam or something today as something worth a poo poo

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I do think the cables are to blame, if the connectors get the wrong electricity they don't know what to do. One time I spicily swapped my co-ax cables around and the pictures were the sound and the sound was the pictures. Technology is crazy.

I was also licking batteries and taking things I found in people's cupboards tho, so like, maybe not a universal experience?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't understand why so many of these weird star citizen elite dangerous space game people have a fixation on mining for minerals. Is the life of an IT Manager causing them to idealise the concept of blue collar work or something?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't understand why so many of these weird star citizen elite dangerous space game people have a fixation on mining for minerals. Is the life of an IT Manager causing them to idealise the concept of blue collar work or something?

It's the same reason that some people just stripmine for materials in Minecraft, ignoring basically all of the other content. Or the same reason that people play anything developed by Bethesda. Mindless tedium is the goal for some

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

It's the same reason that some people just stripmine for materials in Minecraft, ignoring basically all of the other content. Or the same reason that people play anything developed by Bethesda. Mindless tedium is the goal for some

Ahh you're right, a broken brain does explain a lot in this case.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
As someone who thinks the best part of Skyrim is just wandering around and picking flowers to make potions, and that No Man's Sky is peak when you just admire places, yes, broken brains are what causes people like us.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Sounds like there’s some unpopular opinions up in here about console hardware!!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I think my PS2's disc drive is on the outs.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i logged onto no man's sky for the first time since grinding out the bio-ship last year (do not loving do this jfc); gotta say i didn't expect to log into having a sim-city lite with even more obnoxious time-gating.

i think that's the worst part, is a bunch of cool stuff in that game, the stuff that makes the game worth doing once you've kinda seen what the planets can offer, is time-gated in this really stupid obnoxious way that was pioneered as a way to make people pay to skip the time-wait, in free-play games? but it doesn't even have those options. there is no way around the timers.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

QuarkJets posted:

Composite video does not make everything grey lol

You are correct because Composite Cables only have three connections for Video, Left Audio and Right Audio, but that washed out picture of Assassins Creed DOES look like a defective 5 connector RGB YPbPr Component Cable problem.

e:some of you guys need to learn a lot more about older video technology before jumping all over someone. do you seriously not know the difference between component and composite cables? not everything is HDMI.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 28, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Don't forget hauling all those space minerals back to a station a realistic distance away, necessitating a completely uninteractive hyperspace ride measured in minutes.

I'm even the kind of person who enjoys wandering around Skyrim on foot stumbling into random stuff. But space games revel in being equal parts boring and overcomplicated.

I really have to try Chorus at some point because it seems a lot closer to what I'm looking for in a space game.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

signalnoise posted:

Sword of Sodan had some interesting ideas and it is one of many games that would be nice to see remade in a game jam or something today as something worth a poo poo

Sword of Sodan was an amazing technical achievement on my stock Amiga 2000 back in the day, but it would be difficult to wait that long for a game to load in 2021.

e:lol, the A14 Bionic in my iPhone12 is more powerful than all the Amiga's ever manufactured put together. holy poo poo.

e:to get back on track, Alien Isolation has no right looking this good on my iPad or my iPhone.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 28, 2021

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Icochet posted:

What in the gently caress?

I can't name a modern popular song where the guitar features heavily in it

Yeah all music includes or is composed on either the piano or guitar but is it at the forefront in a way that's like, recognisable?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
In saying that though there is a shitload of music, more than ever before, out there, so maybe you could make a new guitar hero based on a wider range of songs, not just chart toppers

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

abigserve posted:

Yeah all music includes or is composed on either the piano or guitar but is it at the forefront in a way that's like, recognisable?

I mean, if we're complaining about pop I'd say most stuff doesn't even have authentic vocals in it, everything on the radio is all mutilated autotune stuff. Honestly it depends on what you listen to, stuff like Måneskin was/is big in 2021 and they're a 4-peice garage band.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its been a minute but Despacito was one of the most popular songs in the world for a long time and it is guitar centric

Good 4 U by Olivia Rodrigo has guitars, its basically Avril Lavigne for zoomers and its massive this year, I think all of her songs have guitar but i dunno i haven't checked

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 28, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

abigserve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPWGUhEtP0

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

"modern popular song"

*posts music literally from the 1900s*

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Triarii posted:

"modern popular song"

*posts music literally from the 1900s*

Is the 1900s old these days

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

You are correct because Composite Cables only have three connections for Video, Left Audio and Right Audio, but that washed out picture of Assassins Creed DOES look like a defective 5 connector RGB YPbPr Component Cable problem.

e:some of you guys need to learn a lot more about older video technology before jumping all over someone. do you seriously not know the difference between component and composite cables? not everything is HDMI.

If it were a photograph of the TV screen then sure, this could be the issue. But this is pretty clearly a screenshot of the game, which is processed at the software level before it's sent to the display. The game just looks like this, at least in this moment, regardless of what kind of cable you're using.

That said, it was cherry picked to make the game look bad. Other scenes in the game are very colorful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

signalnoise posted:

It was over 20 years ago

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was over 20 years ago

Don't worry about it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

abigserve posted:

I checked out of the charts a while ago, but this year, the aforementioned Good 4 U was massive in the Summer, Taylor Swift released re-recordings of her work this year and it was a massive deal. Ed Sheeran had something out at Christmas, but gently caress you if you think I'm going to check that for guitar. I assume it does though. It was only this year Phoebe Bridgers caused boomer tears by smashing a Danelectro on SNL. Live music has obviously taken a hit, but the Foo Fighters remain stadium huge. Shall I continue?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Edit: double post

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

I checked out of the charts a while ago, but this year, the aforementioned Good 4 U was massive in the Summer, Taylor Swift released re-recordings of her work this year and it was a massive deal. Ed Sheeran had something out at Christmas, but gently caress you if you think I'm going to check that for guitar. I assume it does though. It was only this year Phoebe Bridgers caused boomer tears by smashing a Danelectro on SNL. Live music has obviously taken a hit, but the Foo Fighters remain stadium huge. Shall I continue?

I mean, these guys are touring right now if what you really want is some youngsters going ham with instruments as the focus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGLG85BfVxw

edit: here's one with over 20 million views so you can see that they have some relevance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_gkpYORQLU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
kids these days, they don't even know what a car is. or a dog. do kids even still eat food?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My favourite part is that okay, maybe standard generic pop songs aren't following guitar centric stuff, but a lot of decades didn't? Guitar focused pop music was around, there were also synth focused pop songs, or piano, etc.

There's a gently caress load of new bands, with young people even, that have a focus on guitars. It's like complaining in the 1970s that no one was using enough penny whistles or accordions in their pop songs, it's just all those dang electrified guitars.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Also there are still dorky zoomer metalheads, there will be dorky metalheads in every generation until the end of time, listening to people in drop c tuning singing about vikings or orks or whatever dumb poo poo

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I heard you can suck dick through zoom. :thunk:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Disco Pope posted:

All of these things are bad.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I heard you can suck dick through zoom. :thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unW4GOJw4ro

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

In saying that though there is a shitload of music, more than ever before, out there, so maybe you could make a new guitar hero based on a wider range of songs, not just chart toppers

PC wins again
https://itigic.com/clone-hero-an-open-source-rock-band-and-guitar-hero-for-pc/

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

From a commercial standpoint though having famous chart toppers that cost a billion dollars to license is definitely necessary. No one would have bought Guitar Hero without it, the whole selling point was “Now you too can play Wayward Son just as good as Kansas!”. And Clone Hero can’t exist without the plastic toy guitars , and those can’t exist without the real guitar hero being commercially successful.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

galagazombie posted:

And Clone Hero can’t exist without the plastic toy guitars , and those can’t exist without the real guitar hero being commercially successful.

You’d think that, but the guitars actually existed before the game did. Konami had a three-button guitar game called Guitarfreaks in the arcade and on the PS1, like five or six years before Guitar Hero was a thing, and cheap third party manufacturers put out controllers for it that pointlessly had five buttons. Those got used as the base for what became Guitar Hero.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you play actual real guitar then Rocksmith is very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

signalnoise posted:

Roundabout released in Jan 1972. We are less than a month away from all the original releases of it qualifying as antiques.