Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

So many cool mechs we’re never going to see in a Mechwarrior game :(

I managed to get the Archangel into Living Legends but I had to pay out of pocket to commission the model myself. It turned out pretty fun, though.

Can you pay out of pocket to commission a good Mechwarrior game while you're at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Well I’m peripherally involved in Living Legends 2 so if time counts as money…?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

The White Raven is just a reskinned Black Python so this technically already happened. :v:

Oh, right. I forgot about the rename.

Make it a Hellstar instead.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Gross

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hey now,
You’re a Hellstar

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You take that back, right now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Get your heat on
Big sinks

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Why are you guys calling Aidan a dumbass? It's been a long time since I read those novels, but I remember them painting him as king kickass of murder mountain.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Short version is that the risks he took were frequently not good ideas even though they (almost) always pay off.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PeterWeller posted:

Why are you guys calling Aidan a dumbass? It's been a long time since I read those novels, but I remember them painting him as king kickass of murder mountain.

How can you say that he was smart when he wanted back into the Eugenics Kool Kids Klub?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Taerkar posted:

How can you say that he was smart when he wanted back into the Eugenics Kool Kids Klub?

I didn't say he was smart. I guess what I'm asking is: what makes him particularly dumb for a Clansman?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He falls into the lot a lot of the same problems as a character that Grayson Carlyle had. Yeah he can pull a rabbit out of a hat to extricate himself from danger during the third act of a story, but he still blunders into the trap in the first place. Nobody ever seems to hold either of them responsible for that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

Legend of the Jade Phoenix is a weird trilogy.

Aidan is weeded out as he should have been because he was too arrogant to make a good soldier. Like seriously, going for 4 kills in a Summoner M before actually securing even a single one? He gets "salvaged" because of actual nepotism, something the Clan system was created to avoid.

Book 2 doubles down on Aidan's pride :v: Between his insubordination towards his commanders and inability to tolerate not being the shiniest Trueborn in the room. The only reason why his arrogance doesn't get him killed is because sheer dumb luck wins him a fight that he had outright lost because he got so arrogant he ran his Summoner's legs off. loving dumbass.

Book 3 he's "mellowed" a little insofar as being stuck on garrison duty (as well as the brainwashing he went through in Book 1) has turned him into a warcrimes robot incapable of empathy or compassion can be called "mellow." He still jumps at the first opportunity to show off, hands ComStar a bunch of free salvage (once they dredge it out of a river), and fails to retreat in a timely fashion which gets him and most of the Falcon Guards killed (again, lol).

If the Jade Falcons hadn't been searching for a 'hero' to make their warriors feel less poo poo about themselves after losing Tukayyid (and just so happened to have a high ranking member of the Jade Falcon Watch shouting orders at him after he went blind) Aidan wouldn't have been Remembered; and even then he's only remembered for his last stand rather than the series of colossal gently caress-ups that put him there in the first place.

The only thing he successfully accomplished was teaching Marthe that cheating was A-Ok and that she could do loving anything she wanted as long as she could come up with a reasonable justification, and we all know how that eventually turned out.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

If the Jade Falcons hadn't been searching for a 'hero' to make their warriors feel less poo poo about themselves after losing Tukayyid (and just so happened to have a high ranking member of the Jade Falcon Watch shouting orders at him after he went blind) Aidan wouldn't have been Remembered; and even then he's only remembered for his last stand rather than the series of colossal gently caress-ups that put him there in the first place.

The rest of this is fine but this is a (deliberately) gross mischatacterization of literally the only Falcon offensive that accomplished anything of note on Tukayyid plus blaming Falcon leadership failures on the guy left holding the bag.

He was inarguably luckier than he was good, but he's not Jade Falcon Mr. Bean.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

The rest of this is fine but this is a (deliberately) gross mischatacterization

As much as the cartoon was of Nicolai Malthus, yeah.

The only Clanner to ever overcome the downsides to neural implants and do the Clans try to figure out how that worked? Of course not. :haw:

But yes, I was making light of things because as important as Aidan's last stand was it's generally the only thing anyone remembers about him and I feel that it's important to remember that even at his most reasonable he still opened book three by murdering a whole town of civilians.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 27, 2021

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

Legend of the Jade Phoenix is a weird trilogy.

Cool. Thanks. I do not remember that trilogy well at all.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Today I learned: any criticial hits that happen due to an ammunition explosion in an area protected by CASE II are negated (individually) on a 2d6 roll of 8+.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Defiance Industries posted:

He falls into the lot a lot of the same problems as a character that Grayson Carlyle had. Yeah he can pull a rabbit out of a hat to extricate himself from danger during the third act of a story, but he still blunders into the trap in the first place. Nobody ever seems to hold either of them responsible for that.

I've only read the first three books of the GDL story, but what exactly was GC supposed to do? Most of the problems he runs into are usually due to being hosed over by other people, usually with zero forwarning:

DTR: His garrison has a simple "hand over the keys" mission which turns into a "an Astech has sabotaged most of our equipment and actually there's a disguised kurita force with an expert-level mechwarrior leading it coming down to kill everyone". The second trap was the Shadowhawk extraction one, but again, he didn't really "blunder" into the trap, because he wasn't expecting multiple members of the Trellanese military to actually be on the "hand ourselves over to house kurita" train.

MS: Gets damaged on entry, not his fault, this was expected, a different allied commander leads all his forces into a trap with the worst plan ever (all we gotta do is roll in these trucks with machine guns welded onto them into the main city, and the entire civilian population will go full 28 Days Later on the Kurita occupation, a survivor hirtherto unknown gives kurita the location of his base, he spends a few weeks making a guerilla super-army, and then they storm the kurita base.

PoG: Couldn't have possibly predicted that the enemy would paint mechs to look like GDL mechs and also kill 20 million people for absolutely no reason (it's stated in the book you could actually have faked a genocide no problem), Grey realizes something is funny, heads to Helm, yet another traitor in his ranks fucks him over, steals a dropship and sabotages another.

Like none of these were really predictable, the real problem is that Grey gets hosed by not having all the possible information, and I dunno how fair it is to rate someone as a commander if they get wrecked because they weren't expecting to get completely hosed over by a trusted ally.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Sounds like Carlyle needs to be a better judge of character, if he keeps walking into betrayals like that. That, or stop taking contracts involving House Kurita.

Them Shrapnel submissions sure haven't moved in over 250 days, dang.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah I've been at number 39 for over 6 months

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Sounds like Carlyle needs to be a better judge of character, if he keeps walking into betrayals like that. That, or stop taking contracts involving House Kurita.

Them Shrapnel submissions sure haven't moved in over 250 days, dang.

He took one(1) contract that involved House Kurita.

You sound like one of those dumbasses that think Dr. Who or Sherlock is written well because the writer is too lazy to write a story and just has their protagonist go "lol i was never actually in any danger the entire time (:" in every story.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
What's it like not being able to take a joke

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Strobe posted:

What's it like not being able to take a joke

I will answer that if you tell me what Kevin Roundtree's boots taste like.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I have no idea who that is

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Strobe posted:

I have no idea who that is

He's the Senior Vice President Global Supply Chain at Guitar Center of course

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The box set Clan game went great! After some pointers, the turns went pretty smoothly. I took a really lucky shot and hit the Timber Wolf's cockpit with a laser from my Executioner Prime. After some grinding down of my armor, the Nova A (I let my opponent pick the loadout) eventually responded with a peeper headcap to end it.

I'd figured this was a good gift for my friend because he had some RPG experience already. Once he figured out his own way to internalize some of the crunchier concepts like heat tracking and spending MP optimally to break even on movement modifiers, he was killing it like a rock star.

Actually launched into lore conversation too regarding a whole number of topics like why all the weapons are so bad and why bms have the density of hot air balloons and why the clans forgot they could refuse an ostensibly fair fight (that's a good one BTW)

Only one problem now (and word of warning for players looking to buy it stand-alone): It slipped my mind that the Clan box set didn't come with BattleMech combat rules, only specific rules for Clantech weapons and Elementals. Turns out another BattleMech Manual order is in order...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

why bms have the density of hot air balloons

:pseudo:

'Mechs are mostly hollow for insulation (and life support) purposes, to give internal weapons some wiggle room, to maximize the 'Mech's range of motion. The Wolfhound's a good example of this, without even moving its torso its chest-mounted lasers have about a 30-degree arc of fire and can be fired at different targets simultaneously; and all 'Mechs explicitly have enough air trapped in them to allow a pilot in an un-breached 'Mech to survive in a vacuum for a minimum of 24 hours. Anything that isn't explicitly hollow is designed out of materials that are as lightweight and strong as possible: a 'Mech's skeleton only weighs 10% of its total weight (5% if it's endo-steel) so an Atlas with an endo-steel structure is supporting 95 tons on a 5 ton skeleton.

Standard armor and structure are a layered ceramic and metal hybrid material. Ferro-fibrous armor is also a metal-ceramic hybrid except the metal is shredded and used to reinforce the ceramic directly, creating more internal airspace at the cost of bulk. Endo-steel is essentially foamed steel.

Ferro and endo are both at their best when they're made in space, which is why the IS versions are so much bulkier. The Inner Sphere's orbital factories were all wiped out early in the succession wars and the Great Houses kinda wrote them off as being too vulnerable to reproduce; while the Clans view orbital factories as prizes to be traded back and forth and even sent one along with Wolf's Dragoons because they can and do make more.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
So I managed to pick up some BT goodies over Christmas, including a good haul of minis. I'm pretty excited to get into starting an Alpha Strike group with my tabletop friends at some point.

I'm completely new to the whole painting miniatures thing. Any recommendations for paint brands or tips for getting started?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

I'm completely new to the whole painting miniatures thing. Any recommendations for paint brands or tips for getting started?

GW's contrast paints work really well on the new BattleTech minis and will leave them looking great with minimal effort on your part (you just need to prime white, preferably with a spray primer, but you do not need to use Citadel's contrast primers. They're good primers but they're overpriced and I haven't found a white acrylic spray primer yet that contrast paints don't work with).

Some color recommendations for BattleTech would be:

Easy Plains Camo: Aggaros Dunes, Snakebite Leather, and Creed Camo: Paint the whole 'Mech with Aggaros Dunes, and once that's dry dab on splotches of snakebite leather and creed camo. If you want to turn this into a mars-y desert scheme instead, replace Creed Camo with Gore-Grunta Fur.

Advanced Tip: this one's accented with metallic green to make Clan Jade Falcon's Alpha Galaxy scheme, the metallic green is created by painting silver and then painting contrast Orc Flesh over it to tint it green. Contrasts are very effective at tinting metallic paints! :pseudo:

Easy Urban Camo: Basilicanum Gray: Paint the whole 'Mech in basilicanum gray, then once it's dry paint stripes or splotches or (if you want a challenge) armor panels in a second layer of bas. gray to darken it up.

Then just pick out a few details if you want (I like painting the weapon barrels with metalics to make them stand out) and maybe paint the cockpit glass if you want to challenge yourself. Painting the canopy all black is fine and looks nice, but if you don't feel ready for that leaving it the same color as the rest of the 'Mech is just fine too! Most Mechwarriors pilot using other vision modes (Magnetic Resonance scanning or thermal optics) and barely rely on visible light.

So with a white primer, those four colors, and maybe a metallic if you want to pick out the weapons you can make two distinct battle forces that are easy to tell apart and look great at tabletop distance.

If you have some time to wait a few months, Army Painter is releasing their own version of contrast (Army Painter Speedpaints) towards the end of March that are supposed to be pretty comparable to GW's contrast line but cost about half as much (#ClanJoke) per pot and come in dropper bottles which are way better than GW's paint-wasting pots.

IIRC they'll be selling it as a boxed set, which would give you all the colors you'd need to paint most any color scheme you wanted; but it's not releasing until March 26th which is a long wait for 'Mechs you want to paint now. :haw:

Edit: If there's a color scheme you're interested in, I can probably find a way to help you paint it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 28, 2021

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Easy Plains Camo: Aggaros Dunes, Snakebite Leather, and Creed Camo: Paint the whole 'Mech with Aggaros Dunes, and once that's dry dab on splotches of snakebite leather and creed camo. If you want to turn this into a mars-y desert scheme instead, replace Creed Camo with Gore-Grunta Fur.

Advanced Tip: this one's accented with metallic green to make Clan Jade Falcon's Alpha Galaxy scheme, the metallic green is created by painting silver and then painting contrast Orc Flesh over it to tint it green. Contrasts are very effective at tinting metallic paints! :pseudo:

I've been trying to get an easy camo going for a while and am going to try this, thanks for sharing. When you say "dab," do you mean using like a small sponge or still brushwork?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Extend your left arm straight out while crossing your right arm over your chest.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Extend your left arm straight out while crossing your right arm over your chest.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DrPop posted:

I've been trying to get an easy camo going for a while and am going to try this, thanks for sharing. When you say "dab," do you mean using like a small sponge or still brushwork?

Brushwork. Basically get some paint on the brush and paint a little misshapen circle (or stripe, or any other shape you'd like). It's ok if it's not precise, it's camo. Camo is messy.

This works really well because Aggaros Dunes is very light in color, so the Snakebite Leather and Camo Green can overwhelm it (by being more strongly pigmented).

There're some other color combos that would also work really well for a camo base, but Aggaros Dunes is the best one straight out of the pot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 28, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you're completely new at painting miniatures, you might find that doing little tiny detail work is kind of tough to get used to. If you screw up and decide you want to start over, you can strip all the paint off pretty easily. Drop it in a little cup full of rubbing alcohol, leave it there for like 10 minutes, and you can take the paint right off with a dollar toothbrush. It's super easy to start over if you need to.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yup, never feel bad about stripping and repainting if you decide something isn't working for you. Mistakes are part of the learning process, paintjobs can be redone.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Conversely of you never strip anything you can post some really awesome compilations on how far you've progressed with time.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Holybat posted:

So I managed to pick up some BT goodies over Christmas, including a good haul of minis. I'm pretty excited to get into starting an Alpha Strike group with my tabletop friends at some point.

Also the thunderbolt cockpit window is not on the head of the mech. So when you paint it, do not paint the hatch like a cockpit like I and many others have done.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Also the thunderbolt cockpit window is not on the head of the mech. So when you paint it, do not paint the hatch like a cockpit like I and many others have done.

That is an easy detail to misread.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Hey thanks for the pointers everybody, especially PTN. I'm looking forward to getting started on some of these minis this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One other tip I picked up comes from Brent with the Goobertown Hobbies youtube channel: don't use static grass or grass tufts when you're basing your 'Mechs.

In order to be visible at Mechscale, a blade of static grass would need to be over a meter tall and they will make your 'Mechs look like toys. You're better off using a dusting of flock to represent grass and clump foliage to look like bushes. Other basing materials like rocks, texture pastes, crackle pastes, and etc. are just fine.