Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Black August posted:

chi chi got cheated

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Bee posted:

Dragon Ball Online was the best possible ending to Dragon Ball. I will carry that torch to my loving grave.

It's an awful ending for Goku and I hate it. He's an easygoing guy with a ton of joie de vivre, he loves martial arts but going out in a murder-suicide pact is just not the kame way. It's absolutely how Vegeta would like to go out though.

The most fitting ending for Goku would be running his own martial arts school like Roshi before him and becoming the old coot Goku Toriyama mocked up that one time

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 27, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The best ending for those two isn't a suicide pact by punching in some dark corner of the galaxy but rather that they pass the torch to the newer generations (Like Toriyama originally wanted)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The best ending for those two isn't a suicide pact by punching in some dark corner of the galaxy but rather that they pass the torch to the newer generations (Like Toriyama originally wanted)

To be fair, they sort of did that with the epilogue OVA to GT called Hero’s Legacy that centered around Pan’s grandson (it was one of the few good things about that season as I recall)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still says a lot about Goku's marriage makes sense when you realise Goku is really, really hot.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 27, 2021

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still says a lot about Goku's marriage makes sense when you realise Goku is really, really hot.

the original himbo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

they've slimmed him down but I am 99% sure that Goku still has his Namek hotrod bod and the aging Chi Chi just has to sigh when this loud idiot comes roaring through the door, still looking 20 years old, half-naked, soaked in sweat, his six-pack dancing like it was a fuckin' soap commercial

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So in the aforementioned Dragon Ball Online ending did Goku and Vegeta actually look like they had visibly aged or were they still about the same as they’ve been for most of the series now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Dignity posted:

It's an awful ending for Goku and I hate it. He's an easygoing guy with a ton of joie de vivre, he loves martial arts but going out in a murder-suicide pact is just not the kame way. It's absolutely how Vegeta would like to go out though.

The most fitting ending for Goku would be running his own martial arts school like Roshi before him and becoming the old coot Goku Toriyama mocked up that one time

It isn't a murder suicide pact. It is the biggest most epic fight of his life against the person he recognizes as his truest rival. That is absolutely in line with Goku. It is the dude who was willing to give himself boneitus or make his body explode just for a good fight.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Larryb posted:

So in the aforementioned Dragon Ball Online ending did Goku and Vegeta actually look like they had visibly aged or were they still about the same as they’ve been for most of the series now?

I figure Saiyans leaving their prime end up having the same thing happen as adolescence: one day they wake up, and instead of being 20, they're now 70

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

they've slimmed him down but I am 99% sure that Goku still has his Namek hotrod bod and the aging Chi Chi just has to sigh when this loud idiot comes roaring through the door, still looking 20 years old, half-naked, soaked in sweat, his six-pack dancing like it was a fuckin' soap commercial

Yeah she really needs to call Bulma and get her to throw her a bone with those age wishes she keeps doing.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Black August posted:

I figure Saiyans leaving their prime end up having the same thing happen as adolescence: one day they wake up, and instead of being 20, they're now 70

They wake up one day with a mustache, and possibly bald.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

nappa's still in his prime, he just went bald

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Larryb posted:

You don't actually see them, just have it described, but it's described as coming as they weakened to the point where they knew if they let it go much longer they'd waste away and stop being powerful. So I'm assuming they were grey haired old as balls men like Roshi.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't a murder suicide pact. It is the biggest most epic fight of his life against the person he recognizes as his truest rival. That is absolutely in line with Goku. It is the dude who was willing to give himself boneitus or make his body explode just for a good fight.

KittyEmpress posted:

You don't actually see them, just have it described, but it's described as coming as they weakened to the point where they knew if they let it go much longer they'd waste away and stop being powerful. So I'm assuming they were grey haired old as balls men like Roshi.

Sounds more like an assisted euthanasia case than anything else, and Goku's never felt the need to kill and be killed in any of his friendlies before. I maintain that's a horrific misread of his character and Dragonball as a whole and I'm glad nothing like that will crop up in the actual story

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
goku and vegeta should have gathered the dragon balls and wished to be young again... then they could fight forever

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

Vegeta talking to a therapist:

"The other day I felt like I could only blow up the planet after going Super Saiyan. I felt so powerless."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Black August posted:

chi chi got cheated

They should call her Cheat Cheat

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

No Dignity posted:

I was just about to say something like this, I really think its a bad way for Goku to end up where he's so utterly battle drunk he decides that battling Vegeta to the death is a better way to go out than spending the rest of his days surrounded by loving family and passing on his skills to the next generation. I think about how he's introduced at the start of Z where he's really lost a lot of his battle instincts and drive to fight endlessly because he's relatively happy being a dad to Gohan, I'd like if the character someday ended up back in that situation.

It feels like a bad ending for Vegeta even, since it implies that at the end of the day the only thing that actually mattered to him was his rivalry with Goku, which even back in the Buu saga he had definitively moved beyond.

I will say, I really like the idea of Krillin moving into the Turtle Hermit role, it could be a cool emotional mini-arc with Roshi deciding maybe its finally time to move onto the next world and definitively passing the torch to Krillin, who finally gets a bit more spotlight after all these years. Heck, it would probably take the edge off of implied, depressing future where 18 outlives her husband indefinitely if Krillin gets some of that immortal mojo Roshi has going on.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 28, 2021

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I see it as Goku passing the Torch to Uub and then having 1 last romp with Vegeta; balance of both things.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I figure Super will invalidate that anyways, and Goku and co will become divinity

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I mean that'd actually be hilarious as a finale for Super as a gag take into semi-serious reprisal

"Okay Goku and Vegeta, you're going to be divinity now, but you need to be dead/spirits for it to work. I could tap you both into instant spirit form, or you could duke it out and see who earns the first step into it while God watches."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think going out fighting (especially without any risk to his loved ones) isn't 100% a Goku thing. Especially since he knows he's just gonna hang out with King Kai afterwards.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like if anyone could get the clearance to come back from the afterlife more than usual, it'd be Goku. Dude's gotta have hella strings to pull among the gods at this point. He'd be dead one minute, then back to Chi-Chi's for ghost dinner the next day.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also to be exact it was when Goku was like 80 something and age was finally catching up to him and Vegeta.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also to be exact it was when Goku was like 80 something and age was finally catching up to him and Vegeta.

You'd think he'd just hit up the herbs and poo poo Roshi's been rocking

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean, we don't know how hard age hits Saiyans, just that they're in their prime until their 80s. They could waste away into complete skeletons all at once and might not even have more than a few years as old men.

If that were the case, I could see Goku giving up his last couple years having a last fight with Vegeta while he can. If he could have a decade or two left, he'd probably retire with his family, but he's spent a year or two just training in the Time Chamber for the hell of it before.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Paragus is over 80 in the Brolli movie.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MonsterEnvy posted:

They didn't give an exact age: but they did note that most of the human friends had died at the point where this show down happens. I think the implications of which was meant to be 'Goku and Vegeta were the last survivors after all the humans had lived out their lifespan'.

Yeah, maybe it'd be cooler if Goku was just badass great grandpa to Pan's kids or even beyond. I dunno. I think it's fitting to have them both choose to die doing what they love most: fighting, rather than having them waste away surrounded by family.

Others are free to disagree about this.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
As Goku violently disintigrates his best friend into atoms with a kamehameha

"yes this is exactly what I wanted, Vegeta has been killed! beautiful! Now to die in the void of space I guess"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Goku wouldn't win

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They would tie and then I bet they'd like high five or something as they die drifting amidst the endless void of space

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vegeta finally goes senile during the fight and explodes a star, killing them both.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zzulu posted:

"yes this is exactly what I wanted, Vegeta has been killed! beautiful! Now to die in the void of space I guess"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Goku's lived so long with magic wish balls that can bring back to life anyone and everything that I can believe he would have no respect for the sanctity of life

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean considering how often he thinks death is real I think Goku forgets about that unless he is actively looking at a dragonball

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Dying still probably really sucks and doesn't feel good. It's probably like really badly stubbing your toe. Like, sure, you'll be fine soon enough. But goddamn that smarts!!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nanigans posted:

Dying still probably really sucks and doesn't feel good. It's probably like really badly stubbing your toe. Like, sure, you'll be fine soon enough. But goddamn that smarts!!!!

There's a bit in the background of Dragon Ball Abridged when Trunks dies where Krillin talks about the process and apparently it's actually worse the second time around.

Captain France posted:

I mean, we don't know how hard age hits Saiyans, just that they're in their prime until their 80s. They could waste away into complete skeletons all at once and might not even have more than a few years as old men.

If that were the case, I could see Goku giving up his last couple years having a last fight with Vegeta while he can. If he could have a decade or two left, he'd probably retire with his family, but he's spent a year or two just training in the Time Chamber for the hell of it before.

Yeah, I think it's been said that Saiyan ageing is pretty abrupt; puberty has them triple in size over a few years once they finally hit it, and apparently old age hits them pretty hard all in one go.

I figure it's more of a thing where, well, his kids and grandkids are all grown up, all his human friends of his generation have passed on, as well as possibly Chi-Chi, and he and Vegeta have hit the point where physically and mentally there's nowhere to go but downhill. Call it a Valhalla thing; and they're familiar enough with death and its aftermath that it's just the next stage of their journey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Sounds more like an assisted euthanasia case than anything else, and Goku's never felt the need to kill and be killed in any of his friendlies before. I maintain that's a horrific misread of his character and Dragonball as a whole and I'm glad nothing like that will crop up in the actual story

Goku and Vegeta have both died before. Goku was in fact cool with hanging in the afterlife where he continued to train after he died to Cell. He *still* spends huge chunks of his time in the afterlife even after being alive.

It isn't about murder. It is about having one more amazing fight before he can't and then he'll continue onto the afterlife which is at the moment a literal teleport away for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

I mean, that's probably how Vegeta would want to go. Of course, he wouldn't want to lose, but I imagine he wants a warrior's death way more than dying of old age.

ImpAtom posted:

Goku and Vegeta have both died before. Goku was in fact cool with hanging in the afterlife where he continued to train after he died to Cell. He *still* spends huge chunks of his time in the afterlife even after being alive.

The spending time in the afterlife thing makes me think that ultimately Goku will die because when he gets old one day he'll accidentally gently caress up an instant transmission and fuse into King Kai's car. He has a good laugh while King Kai mourns his poor car yet again.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 28, 2021