Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

incredibly unrelated but someone reassure me that this isnt a plot point from Mercury Rising and doesn't have an answer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've read that long covid (lol) article now.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Reflecting on my part in it, I think part of the reason I got so tilted is that this thread has over the years become kind of like a friend in my pocket who seems resistant to brainwashing. I felt betrayed and hurt by said friend.

I've spent more time reading and reflecting on stuff here than I'd like to admit, but ultimately I think the world doesn't need another self righteous neurotic impotent pseud barking into the abyss, and I think that's the path I've been on for a while now. Time to put away childish things.

Goodbye and good luck comrades

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kecske posted:

incredibly unrelated but someone reassure me that this isnt a plot point from Mercury Rising and doesn't have an answer:

Is there any context to this? Because if not then :stare:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

kecske posted:

It's triangle - the objects are in alphabetical order

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mugsbaloney posted:

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Reflecting on my part in it, I think part of the reason I got so tilted is that this thread has over the years become kind of like a friend in my pocket who seems resistant to brainwashing. I felt betrayed and hurt by said friend.

I've spent more time reading and reflecting on stuff here than I'd like to admit, but ultimately I think the world doesn't need another self righteous neurotic impotent pseud barking into the abyss, and I think that's the path I've been on for a while now. Time to put away childish things.

Goodbye and good luck comrades

Being told to gently caress off is, for better or for worse, an occasional part of the posting experience. Don't let this put you off completely.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Necrothatcher posted:

It's triangle - the objects are in alphabetical order

Cool but you could also put umbrella by the same logic.

I expect it's one of those where they're more interested in how you justify your answer than which you pick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Convex posted:

I'm not here for an argument, but the conversation literally went like this:

Me: I think focusing on an element of your life you can actually affect and change for the better is good for your mental health.
You: I think "fixing" small things & ignoring the big picture is bad for societal health.

I did say that. And then I continued in the next sentence that "Your mental health is going to get a lot worse if we continue to allow capital to ignore the climate crisis and the housing crisis and the inequality crisis & no amount of ignoring your emails is going to change that." Societal health implied societal mental health. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Let me try to stake out my position more clearly. You can't deal with a mental health epidemic with personal solutions when the epidemic is caused by societal, political, economic forces. It's important to fight against the atomisation of society into individual cells. Yes, address the individual, if you're doing poo poo that makes you miserable then try to avoid doing that. But I think that blaming technology, which you did, is a nonsense. It may be the root cause of your own issues & in that case sure, but it's not the cause of the mental health epidemic, a symptom perhaps but not the cause. And you can't address an issue if you misdiagnose what's causing it. It might be easier to cope with the idea that it's your own personal actions making you miserable, I dunno, but that doesn't make it so.

Facing up to the idea that some things are out of our personal control is loving scary when our generation(s) have grown up knowing nothing but a neoliberal world. The world where "there is no such thing as society" is a sentence uttered by a Prime Minister rather than by an ostracised sociopath. But it's not the only possible world, the majority of the 20th century was full of examples of collective power. The history of humanity shows that we are social beasts, being reduced to individuals in a dog-eat-dog world clearly has a deleterious effect & it's not one that as individuals we can change. It can only change collectively. This is all I'm trying to say. I'm not saying do nothing to improve your mental health, that'd be stupid, just trying to make sure we don't miss the forest for the trees: we have a mental health epidemic & reducing it to "you look at your phone too much" isn't helpful. Yes, looking at your phone less or otherwise disengaging from actions that impact your mental wellbeing negatively is good if it helps you. But solely addressing the personal while ignoring the big picture is like...cutting out the flesh-eating bacteria infection in your leg without addressing the big pool of flesh-eating bacteria that live in your bath & attack you every time you step into it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

josh04 posted:

Being told to gently caress off is, for better or for worse, an occasional part of the posting experience. Don't let this put you off completely.

Agreed. You came in a bit aggressive, and people got prickly, don't beat yourself up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Cool but you could also put umbrella by the same logic.

I expect it's one of those where they're more interested in how you justify your answer than which you pick.

Nah, it's asking "Which (of these three) comes next?" Umbrella would come after Triangle so it'd be the wrong answer.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Necrothatcher posted:

Nah, it's asking "Which (of these three) comes next?" Umbrella would come after Triangle so it'd be the wrong answer.

But heart would come before both of them?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But heart would come before both of them?

Not in that sequence.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That seems unsatisfying. But I am used to that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But if heart is there then that implies there are just outright wrong answers, as heart should already be in the sequence if it were to be included, so you arbitrarily pick between umbrella and triangle as it implies that not all of the possibilities have to be in the sequence at all.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For the record I thought the VF article was interesting but then I have not put any serious thought towards the subject (as opposed to most people here who have and reacted negatively).

I think as (hopefully) things start to get better, it will become a huge topic.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Train comes next

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My lads universal credit got sorted.

He is on *exactly* the same as he was when he was being paid via my benefits, only he has to pay a bit of rent to the council, doesn't even have to update fit notes or attend interviews, same as before. Which sure was worth the 3 months where he was on 1/4 money and does not get back pay for. No way a computer could have figured that out automatically in seconds at all...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

But if heart is there then that implies there are just outright wrong answers, as heart should already be in the sequence if it were to be included, so you arbitrarily pick between umbrella and triangle as it implies that not all of the possibilities have to be in the sequence at all.

I think you're overthinking this - it's just designed to test childrens' knowledge of the alphabet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Just to clear this one up lol

That's a special needs language called Makaton and that's the symbol for love.

(symbols and signs are different to be more confusing)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I think you're overthinking this - it's just designed to test childrens' knowledge of the alphabet.

Is there a starter puzzle we could do first to work our way up to this one?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Just to clear this one up lol

That's a special needs language called Makaton and that's the symbol for love.

(symbols and signs are different to be more confusing)

What's that got to do with the sequence though?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not saying do nothing to improve your mental health, that'd be stupid, just trying to make sure we don't miss the forest for the trees: we have a mental health epidemic & reducing it to "you look at your phone too much" isn't helpful. Yes, looking at your phone less or otherwise disengaging from actions that impact your mental wellbeing negatively is good if it helps you. But solely addressing the personal while ignoring the big picture is like...cutting out the flesh-eating bacteria infection in your leg without addressing the big pool of flesh-eating bacteria that live in your bath & attack you every time you step into it.

What you're doing is jumping on my point and 'reducing' it to try and frame me as saying all societal problems could be solved by reducing technology use, which is complete bollocks. I was talking about people with suicidal ideation who are clearly struggling at the moment, and may well be in patterns of behaviour that facilitate anxiety.

You've created an argument because you think it's more important than what we were talking about, rather than just bringing up a separate point for discussion in the thread. You've said "that's not the issue, it's this" and it's hosed me off properly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Everyone seems a bit narky in this thread of late.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

You're the one demanding we accept your "truth" that the answer is triangle.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Today I went out for a walk and was appalled by the state of the drains, so I went down the local Homebase and bought myself a hoe to clear them out with. Then I got distracted scraping a bit of the pavement that was covered by a thick layer of wet leaves clear so people can walk along it without breaking their necks. A fair few people passing by thanked me for the job I was doing, which was pretty gratifying. All in all, it's been a productive morning.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
PICKED ONION IS THE BETTER FLAVOUR. NOT ROAST BEEF. IT WAS NEVER ROAST BEEF CAMRATH

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

Today I went out for a walk and was appalled by the state of the drains, so I went down the local Homebase and bought myself a hoe to clear them out with. Then I got distracted scraping a bit of the pavement that was covered by a thick layer of wet leaves clear so people can walk along it without breaking their necks. A fair few people passing by thanked me for the job I was doing, which was pretty gratifying. All in all, it's been a productive morning.

You are post 10 and I claim my five pounds.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Necrothatcher posted:

We're trapped on Plague/Paedo/Terf Island with the absolute worst possible people in charge during a pandemic and a self-inflicted economic headshot. I'm surprised the thread isn't just a series of incoherent screams of rage and despair.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really see how you can effectively "privatise" the elements of the NHS that are under strain because private enterprise doesn't do that stuff and never has.

To reply from pages and pages ago: I think rather than “patient pays” privatisation it will be outsourcing to private companies under the guise of ‘waiting list reduction’.

I think it’ll be significantly more expensive than just putting money into the NHS to do the same would be, but:
- Helps achieve the goal of managed decline of the NHS.
- Genuine ideology-for-ideology’s sake “it is public and therefore it must be privatised”.
- From a class solidarity point of view, even if it’s a colossal waste of money at least it’s a bung to their friends.

Test-and-trace was a helpful dry run for them: ineffectively privatised at huge cost and no national benefit, but undermines the NHS and chucks more money to mates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Juche Couture posted:

To reply from pages and pages ago: I think rather than “patient pays” privatisation it will be outsourcing to private companies under the guise of ‘waiting list reduction’.

I think it’ll be significantly more expensive than just putting money into the NHS to do the same would be, but:
- Genuine ideology-for-ideology’s sake “it is public and therefore it must be privatised”.
- From a class solidarity point of view, even if it’s a colossal waste of money at least it’s a bung to their friends.

Test-and-trace was a helpful dry run for them: ineffectively privatised at huge cost and no national benefit, but undermines the NHS and chucks more money to mates.

I would agree that using the government as a money faucet to return taxes to the private sector is more in-keeping with how the UK normally works.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You are post 10 and I claim my five pounds.

I was clearing out drains with my feet before I found out about him but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't a bit of an inspiration.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Juche Couture posted:

Also even if it manages to be totally transparent to the patients (lol no), having different workers being technically employed by different private companies is great for ruining solidarity among workers.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

learnincurve posted:

My lads universal credit got sorted.

He is on *exactly* the same as he was when he was being paid via my benefits, only he has to pay a bit of rent to the council, doesn't even have to update fit notes or attend interviews, same as before. Which sure was worth the 3 months where he was on 1/4 money and does not get back pay for. No way a computer could have figured that out automatically in seconds at all...

What's the dwps specific argument against backdating here? They're usually wrong about that, and the way the claim paperwork is set up pretty much guarantees the tribunals can hear it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

I was clearing out drains with my feet before I found out about him but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't a bit of an inspiration.

Super chill channel, also a bit mad, he recently spent 36 hours camping inside a running culvert in a terrifying cylindrical plywood coffin (that is probably nicer than most london apartments)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I wholly recommend time offline and off computer as being good for mental health.

I have a non-smart phone as my main phone. It does absolutely nothing internet. No whatsapp, facebook, messenger, awful etc. If I'm 'completely offline' my family know they have to phone me or text me on that if they must.

I was doing 2 consecutive days a week offline and would find by day 3 I was quite reluctant to come back online. But I've been a bit bad at that of late and need to reboot the habit.

For 'half and half' days, I have an old ipad (just to facetime my mother with) but which lets me read SA (though I will not allow myself to sign in on it, it's just to keep up with the thread when it is moving fast so I don't have to come back to 10 pages of crisps chat), check the weather and the river level (which as I live less than 20m from the river - nearer 8-10m when it is swollen) is a permanent source of concern when it starts raining heavily (it rises VERY quickly). And for days when I need to keep in touch with email, I have a smart phone which is nearing end of life and I can do Awful and Messenger Lite on that.

I know once the computer goes on, the day is essentially lost. When I have a computer-less day, I get so much more done eg housework, and actually feel ready for bed at a more reasonable hour like midnight rather than my usual 2am.

Best thing for mental health is not allowing myself to sign in to twitter! I can read tweets but not reply. That little hiccup between wanting to reply and having to sign in is enough to stop me in my tracks.

Ed: talking about relaxing videos - this woman Mayo Utuk does lovely relaxing videos going about her daily chores in her rural cottage in Nigeria: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcGcYiQB-jGa0SKQZ4PwLhw

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 28, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Necrothatcher posted:

Agreed

Payndz posted:

We're trapped on Plague/Paedo/Terf Island with the absolute worst possible people in charge during a pandemic and a self-inflicted economic headshot. I'm surprised the thread isn't just a series of incoherent screams of rage and despair.

Agreed

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Have a photo of my cat joining in board game time

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

kecske posted:

i think the thing that bothers me most about this is not getting the right number of legs on the spider

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I wholly recommend time offline and off computer as being good for mental health.

I have a non-smart phone as my main phone. It does absolutely nothing internet. No whatsapp, facebook, messenger, awful etc. If I'm 'completely offline' my family know they have to phone me or text me on that if they must.

I was doing 2 consecutive days a week offline and would find by day 3 I was quite reluctant to come back online. But I've been a bit bad at that of late and need to reboot the habit.

For 'half and half' days, I have an old ipad (just to facetime my mother with) but which lets me read SA (though I will not allow myself to sign in on it, it's just to keep up with the thread when it is moving fast so I don't have to come back to 10 pages of crisps chat), check the weather and the river level (which as I live less than 20m from the river - nearer 8-10m when it is swollen) is a permanent source of concern when it starts raining heavily (it rises VERY quickly). And for days when I need to keep in touch with email, I have a smart phone which is nearing end of life and I can do Awful and Messenger Lite on that.

I know once the computer goes on, the day is essentially lost. When I have a computer-less day, I get so much more done eg housework, and actually feel ready for bed at a more reasonable hour like midnight rather than my usual 2am.

Best thing for mental health is not allowing myself to sign in to twitter! I can read tweets but not reply. That little hiccup between wanting to reply and having to sign in is enough to stop me in my tracks.

Ed: talking about relaxing videos - this woman Mayo Utuk does lovely relaxing videos going about her daily chores in her rural cottage in Nigeria: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcGcYiQB-jGa0SKQZ4PwLhw

Hard agree on the dumb phone part! I have a basic Nokia that I need to get working with my SIM card, but was considering getting a basic Cat phone or something given how often I seem to drop them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Convex posted:

What you're doing is jumping on my point and 'reducing' it to try and frame me as saying all societal problems could be solved by reducing technology use, which is complete bollocks. I was talking about people with suicidal ideation who are clearly struggling at the moment, and may well be in patterns of behaviour that facilitate anxiety.

You've created an argument because you think it's more important than what we were talking about, rather than just bringing up a separate point for discussion in the thread. You've said "that's not the issue, it's this" and it's hosed me off properly.

Sorry you feel that way. I think you're as guilty of misrepresenting/"reducing" my point as I am to you but absolutely nothing to be gained from talking past each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Convex posted:

Hard agree on the dumb phone part! I have a basic Nokia that I need to get working with my SIM card, but was considering getting a basic Cat phone or something given how often I seem to drop them.

Dumb nokias won't work with some 4G sim cards. I use an O2 PAYG sim in mine. My Three 4G Sim won't work in it.
(Mine is a Nokia 106)