Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This was made 10 years ago? And it's a valid, well-executed work.

What's your excuse, Sia???

I think my favorite part before the joke lands is "I've been standing here 26 minutes now watch the interview"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

FilthyImp posted:

What's your excuse, Sia???

Yeah I mean it's 10 years old and it's still way less offensive than stuff that is supposedly being supportive by treating autism as like being the hot girl who is dorky but just needs a makeover and contact lenses, which is to say taking a chance on a new friend who will help them learn to navigate life like jiminy cricket or some poo poo

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I thought "I can't see you I can only hear you" was silly until I thought it through and realised if I was in the same situation I would definitely notice that and can't guarantee that I wouldn't say it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

I think that what makes it possibly acceptable instead of just mocking is that it doesn't use a particular caricature of autism, and that it ends on a punchline. If I really think critically about the sketch, I can see the caricature get more detailed and more "severe" over the course of the sketch, working through a variety of them, but to be honest, at some points I could tell you I've met one or two of them, but as kids.

It seems that most NT people dont know how to write neurodivergent adults without portraying them as weird adult children. Like most neurodivergent adults just mask and pass IIRC. (This is also why I'm afraid of getting an official diagnosis as an adult. I do way too much masking and mimicking. Plus some behaviors might be mistaken for anxiety and depression somehow.)

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
There's a long way to go on the inclusion front, for sure. I wouldn't overanalyze the masking/mimicking behaviors too much, if you even want to call it that. It occurred to me that I've been doing the same thing more often during the past few months probably as an extension of limited social contacts during the pandemic. It's not just you.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Organza Quiz posted:

ITT autistic people overly seriously overanalyse a funny joke

Lol, just this thread?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

It seems that most NT people dont know how to write neurodivergent adults without portraying them as weird adult children. Like most neurodivergent adults just mask and pass IIRC. (This is also why I'm afraid of getting an official diagnosis as an adult. I do way too much masking and mimicking. Plus some behaviors might be mistaken for anxiety and depression somehow.)

Pillow Armadillo posted:

There's a long way to go on the inclusion front, for sure. I wouldn't overanalyze the masking/mimicking behaviors too much, if you even want to call it that. It occurred to me that I've been doing the same thing more often during the past few months probably as an extension of limited social contacts during the pandemic. It's not just you.

I feel you on this. I have always been good with the English language, and if you give me clear rules for an assignment, I can use flowery prose or I can use language that makes a description feel "grimy" or whatever, but when asked for a genuine expression of myself, it's harder to identify what that actually means. Really, what I'm doing is I'm synthesizing based on other things I've encountered. If I can understand the goal I'm trying to reach with words, I can figure out some words that I'm told are impressive, but so far, I have never understood how to express this very particular difficulty because I have never lived without it, and the people I am trying to explain it to have never lived with it. They can only see what it looks like from their perspective, so when they show me what it looks like from their perspective, it is insulting. Maybe one of the bigger problems is that when an autistic character is written for something, it's only one, so they have to make sure they get the whole autism THING wrapped up in one character, but if there were like 4 different autistic people, they could have a variety of personalities, and a common thread could be shown among them. Who knows?

The other difficulty there is that because many people see you coping hard enough to pass and assume that you couldn't be autistic. My own dad thought this. I remember clearly at a thanksgiving dinner, I had to explain to him that I wasn't "fixed" or whatever, it wasn't temporary, I was just coping.

Here's a video about fighting games that I think is relevant. It's not directly about autism, but I think it is still relevant when it comes to coping. Think about the similarities as you watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4-EyNJhcQ8

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Here's a video about fighting games that I think is relevant. It's not directly about autism, but I think it is still relevant when it comes to coping. Think about the similarities as you watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4-EyNJhcQ8

Proclick and a really neat watch, thank you!

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

signalnoise posted:

The other difficulty there is that because many people see you coping hard enough to pass and assume that you couldn't be autistic. My own dad thought this. I remember clearly at a thanksgiving dinner, I had to explain to him that I wasn't "fixed" or whatever, it wasn't temporary, I was just coping.

Folks at my work had no inkling that I was autistic until I told them. I guess I'm good at passing for NT?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Masking's tough, no question. It can definitely help you deal with society, but it puts stress on you that's got to be released somehow. That's why we tend to burn out (:negative:) and that's why I'm glad I let the mask slip a little when I got into the neurodiversity movement. I discovered hand flapping a couple years ago (maybe rediscovered? I don't remember a lot of the ABA training I got because I was so young) and it's a good way to take the edge off when I'm feeling stressed. Another nice thing is that it's an easy way for others to know I'm feeling that way, but they have to know what it means and that it's benign. That's why I still only do it in front of people I trust. Hopefully one day society will get to the point where we can all stim loud and proud.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

imperiusdamian posted:

Folks at my work had no inkling that I was autistic until I told them. I guess I'm good at passing for NT?

I think that in general, most people would assume weird before assuming autistic, as well. My concern there is less about not being suspected, and more about the invalidation. It's one thing to have your coping under control and have people surprised that you were coping, it's another to be told your struggle isn't real.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
"You can't be autistic, you're not like Rainman/Sheldon from TBB/my five-year-old nephew."

:rolleyes:

E: The worst one is "you don't look autistic." What does "autistic" look like?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 24, 2021

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I rarely get the "but you don't look autistic" but what I do hear more frequently is the "everyone is a bit autistic" crap. I always try to tell them; "nope, you just don't know what autism really means" or something similar and sometimes less polite or considerate. I don't mind to be blunt most of the time, everytime I hold back I regret it.

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 24, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've been dealing with a weird issue. I was diagnosed with Asperger's as a kid with most of it related to sensory stuff, but traces of other things. I went through a LOT of therapy, and went through some real poo poo when my middle school found out about my diagnosis and wanted to my parents to hire a "handler" for me because they heard autistic people were prone to violence. They didn't do it, but I spent my middle school years with a microscope on me, any grades I got or things I did being hyper examined to determine if I was "safe". For context, there was no inciting incident, they just found out and it was like a switch was turned on.

In highschool, things were better, and I ended up working as an intern in the office that diagnosed me. The doctor who diagnosed me ended up saying they wouldn't diagnose me as autistic anymore. That was so freeing at the time, but as years have passed, it has made me feel worse. I feel like it took all the work I had to do and still have to do away from me? I was watching "Love on the Spectrum" on Netflix, and while most of the people on there were waaaay worse off than I was, there were little things that happened that triggered memories from over a decade ago and cause me to start weeping.

All this to say, how do people on the borders of the spectrum deal with it? The feeling like you're not NT, but not autistic?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

All this to say, how do people on the borders of the spectrum deal with it? The feeling like you're not NT, but not autistic?

Maybe you're autistic, maybe you're not. What you do have going for you is a unique perspective, which is to say you're the only person who can know the experience of living your life. If you consider that any diagnosis is only useful in that it provides you some information for how to move forward, you can take the history you've got and apply it to the here and now, rather than the past. There's no action you can take in the past, but there are actions you can take now, and there are actions you can take in the future. From what I'm reading, you have some unresolved questions stemming from a doctor whose diagnosis proved to be unreliable. Perhaps you need a second opinion. In my case, I was put in different schools, severely monitored, and faced extreme punishments if I got into trouble when transitioning back to normal schools. Eventually, I went from failing all my classes and basically being told I had no academic future to getting a grad degree. However, the more challenges I faced, the more the nuances of those challenges showed themselves. Now, despite having that grad degree, I recognize that I am simply not cut out for traditional office work, and maybe I'm not suited for a career at all, but it's a life that only I will live, and only I will know my particular challenges. Only you will know yours, but that is not the end of help. Seek a professional that can help you navigate this issue. If you learn something about yourself that helps you put your concerns to rest, then that can help you move forward more easily. If you learn something about yourself that helps you more easily manage those concerns, then that can also help you move forward more easily. Our burdens are more easily carried on our backs than in our hands. The goal is to move forward without being held back by our pasts. If you can overcome your past, then perhaps it can propel you, rather than hinder you. Either way, you will ruminate on any thought until you swallow it or spit it out.

What you're asking for doesn't sound like advice for how to cope. What it sounds like to me is cognitive dissonance in its true form, rather than the doublethink that some people refer to as cognitive dissonance. It's really the discomfort that comes from the knowledge of your own uncertainty in having two conflicting beliefs. The solution to it is to find certainty. So, just as a navigator would find a new compass to replace one that cannot guide them, I suggest you seek a new doctor to help you reach a place of certainty. Perhaps you aren't autistic. If your concern is that you aren't autistic, but you aren't neurotypical either, then you would need a second opinion from someone that could provide you a different diagnosis if it is necessary. Maybe that could give you the certainty needed to put this to rest.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Pththya-lyi posted:

"You can't be autistic, you're not like Rainman/Sheldon from TBB/my five-year-old nephew."

:rolleyes:

E: The worst one is "you don't look autistic." What does "autistic" look like?

I was told by an ex's friend that I'm not autistic. :rolleyes:She knows kuz her son is... I felt bad that he's probably been raised hosed up.

I've also heard the 'look autistic' thing and it's always made me really want to be a dick to the person and make them feel stupid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ah, my favorite time of the year, when I open a present and fight the urge to say "Thanks, this is a really cool thought. But, uh, please return it and get your money back because I don't think I'll use it much"

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

FilthyImp posted:

Ah, my favorite time of the year, when I open a present and fight the urge to say "Thanks, this is a really cool thought. But, uh, please return it and get your money back because I don't think I'll use it much"

Got good when people realize I just want a pair of jeans. Don't need anything more and could go without. for like 5 years I get(save for when I didn't have a kitchen and I got an air frier) a pair of the prefered jeans I wear and that's awesome. This year one of my nieces got me a set of stuff for beards(i really dig my mutton chops) and that poo poo is cool as gently caress and my mum got me some pants. Oh and a few years ago I got a baby carrier for my bday, which was great kuz my boy was born 3 days before.

I def get the thing tho, I just have made a point to people that I'd rather get poo poo I can really use or nothing. Not in a dickish way, but I don't want ppl wasting money on poo poo that I don't really have use for. I do love the gently caress outta this air purifier tho

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I think robots (fictional rather than actual robotics) are cool as gently caress and every year my wife gets me a new variety of build a robot toy thing.

Aimed at like 12 year olds.

Do not care. They are amazing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I am similar to you: I got an early diagnosis and intervention, and would probably not be diagnosed as an adult by many clinicians. I still think of myself as autistic because I have too many autistic traits that I just can't think of another explanation for. If I show fewer autistic traits than I did when I was a child, it is because I have gained skills and coping mechanisms as I have grown and matured, not because I have become "less autistic." I believe you're the same way: you still are autistic, you've just learned how to mask well and deal with neurotypical society.

Again, I think this is down to people having a narrow idea of what autism looks like. The less you are like the white male middle-class children that the foundational autism research was conducted on, the less likely you are to get pegged as autistic.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I went through a LOT of therapy, and went through some real poo poo when my middle school found out about my diagnosis and wanted to my parents to hire a "handler" for me because they heard autistic people were prone to violence. They didn't do it, but I spent my middle school years with a microscope on me, any grades I got or things I did being hyper examined to determine if I was "safe". For context, there was no inciting incident, they just found out and it was like a switch was turned on.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. You did not deserve it. While more research is needed, Studies suggest that autistic children and young people are more likely to be the victims of violence and abuse rather than the perpetrators.

E:

FilthyImp posted:

I got an adult coloring book. Adult coloring is supposed to be relaxing but it fills me with anxiety. I have to pick the right colors, if I pick the wrong ones the picture will be ruined :negative:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 28, 2021

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

It seems a bit like a philosophical question.

Is the diagnosis for you, to help you understand some of the things happening in your brain or is it for society to help work out how difficult it will be for you to fit into it?

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Pththya-lyi posted:

I got an adult coloring book. Adult coloring is supposed to be relaxing but it fills me with anxiety. I have to pick the right colors, if I pick the wrong ones the picture will be ruined :negative:

You ever try to intentionally colour things wrong? It's a bit nice for me so I don't wonder which blue the ocean is, it is 3 shades of red now. I got used to doing everything with just reds and blacks because then it only mattered to me that the shade selection was right. I still sorta cringe when my son is colouring and thanks to countless hours of watching Paw Patrol I know he doesn't need the blue marker to colour Rubble, but he is gonna loving do it. Also tho, I've seen Spiderman in green which was pretty good. I think me using the wrong colours was a way to fight against my form of the anxiety you mentioned.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

It seems a bit like a philosophical question.

Is the diagnosis for you, to help you understand some of the things happening in your brain or is it for society to help work out how difficult it will be for you to fit into it?

When I sought an assessment my psych asked me if I was sure I wanted to go through a long expensive assessment process or we could just talk about my specific issues and deal with them on their own terms, without it mattering if it fit in the "autism" diagnosis box or not. To her the main advantage to getting diagnosed was being able to access nationalised disability support, which In my case I don't need and wouldn't qualify for.

For me, the main factor was wanting to know for sure if I could identify as autistic or not - like was I actually right that the collection of traits I'd noticed about myself fit that description or was I just "eccentric"?

It was a weird process, I kept comparing it to my identity as a queer person and what it would be like if I had to go through an interview process first with an expert to ID that way (which I guess is not far off what some trans people have to go through anyway to access medical care, but at least that's not an identity thing).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Adult coloring is supposed to be relaxing but it fills me with anxiety. I have to pick the right colors, if I pick the wrong ones the picture will be ruined :negative:

This reminds me of a quote I ran across many years ago, from the novelization of Red Dwarf:

Grant Naylor posted:

Rimmer believed there were two kinds of people: the first kind were history essay people, who started life with a blank sheet, with no score, and accumulated points with every success they achieved. The other kind were the French dictation people: they started off with a hundred per cent, and every mistake they made was deducted from their original perfect score.

It's written as a joke, just poking a bit of fun at Rimmer, but I've always thought it kind of profound. And it sounds like you and I are both French dictation people. :(:respek::(

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

E:

This explains stuff about that I never knew needed explaining.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

This reminds me of a quote I ran across many years ago, from the novelization of Red Dwarf:

It's written as a joke, just poking a bit of fun at Rimmer, but I've always thought it kind of profound. And it sounds like you and I are both French dictation people. :(:respek::(

Ohhh that is really insightful. I'm definitely the first type and that's a very useful way to think about the other type of person I think.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Organza Quiz posted:

Ohhh that is really insightful. I'm definitely the first type and that's a very useful way to think about the other type of person I think.

I like the well analogy. Everything adds to a well either clean or dirty water and basically not muddying it is the best way to go. Sometimes there's not a good choice to be made and it shouldn't be such a problem. But I feel like a dick for small things like I have a 3 month VIP pass to the plasma place I go to so I can cut to the front of the waiting line everytime I walk in but in 3 months I've only used it 3 or 4 times kuz I don't like to unless I have time limits to deal with and get to other things. But, I generally try to be nice so I held the door for some people the other day and let them go in before me, but then I cut them all in line and felt like a jerk even though I could have just went in first and not needed my pass to be ahead of them.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Anybody here ever take the supplement NAC? Some people in the autism community have ssid it worked like magic for irritability that they didn't know they had, and I guess I trust you guys more than reddit and was going to hear some thoughts

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

cinnamon rollout posted:

Anybody here ever take the supplement NAC? Some people in the autism community have ssid it worked like magic for irritability that they didn't know they had, and I guess I trust you guys more than reddit and was going to hear some thoughts

How loving septic are the people in reddit autism? I've never heard of that stuff but from looking it up I can already see it would do nothing for being genetically different mentally. Seems a lot like saying laxitives cure depression because being constipated sucks. I know what works for autistic people I know, alcohol. Maybe not a bunch but a beer before a social does a good bit. Being Neurologically set differently isnt something that can be fixed by things. effort and training to understand NTs is all there really is.

E: I don't like Autism subs very much, the asperger's one is pretty good but i gave up on the others kuz they keep trying to 'cure' poo poo or supporting ppl that do.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I like Autistic Twitter okay, but you gotta watch out for the intercommunity slap fights and the autism warrior parents.

E: and William Shatner, of all people

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 31, 2021

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

I am similar to you: I got an early diagnosis and intervention, and would probably not be diagnosed as an adult by many clinicians. I still think of myself as autistic because I have too many autistic traits that I just can't think of another explanation for. If I show fewer autistic traits than I did when I was a child, it is because I have gained skills and coping mechanisms as I have grown and matured, not because I have become "less autistic." I believe you're the same way: you still are autistic, you've just learned how to mask well and deal with neurotypical society.

Again, I think this is down to people having a narrow idea of what autism looks like. The less you are like the white male middle-class children that the foundational autism research was conducted on, the less likely you are to get pegged as autistic.

I'm glad to see someone else point this out. It's a similar struggle for me. I'm uncertain about getting an official diagnosis, although I'm fairly satisfied my personal history and traits qualify me as being on the upper end of the spectrum (and possibly ADD as well). I'm now middle-aged and have long masked to the point that it was only the accident of the pandemic and illness that broke down my normal coping mechanisms that led me to realize these things about myself. I talked to others on the spectrum, and their responses really helped me and one of my closest friends is autistic and we both think it's bizarre that neither of us understood that common link before now but it's a vital one.

It would be good to know, just for myself, but I'm not holding my breath that it would convince family and friends. When I announced my self-diagnosis it was interesting who was supportive and who stayed silent. It's a difficult thing to explain on a facebook post that's for sure!

quote:

E:

Awww, I feel that anxiety to get it right and have your executive function seize up. I get that regularly with the thing I most love doing, music. It stops me doing it a lot, actually, it's depressing and painful. I have to ride it out, though and keep trying to be mindful and get round the emotions, something I am trying to work on.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

On these very forums

Just tell me the fuckin ruuuuuules and I can play along

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

signalnoise posted:

On these very forums

Just tell me the fuckin ruuuuuules and I can play along

Shitposting is just online stimming for normies. Treat it like noise and everything will work out.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm curious how you folks feel about this article about Encanto being an accidental representation of being autistic in a NT family.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I like it fine! As the article points out, there's a lot of cases where storytellers accidentally create a character that resonates with a marginalized group. It's practically an autistic pastime to pick out characters who are definitely autistic, even if the author probably didn't intend to make an autistic character. (For example, some people read Elle Woods from Legally Blonde as an autistic woman who successfully mastered the subculture she grew up in, struggles to switch to the norms of a different subculture, but succeeds by using her intelligence, hyperfocus, and special interests to her advantage.) As for Encanto, I haven't seen it, but I can relate to the "extreme empathy" the article describes and to the experience of being surrounded by people who love you but don't know how to support you.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I like it fine! As the article points out, there's a lot of cases where storytellers accidentally create a character that resonates with a marginalized group. It's practically an autistic pastime to pick out characters who are definitely autistic, even if the author probably didn't intend to make an autistic character. (For example, some people read Elle Woods from Legally Blonde as an autistic woman who successfully mastered the subculture she grew up in, struggles to switch to the norms of a different subculture, but succeeds by using her intelligence, hyperfocus, and special interests to her advantage.) As for Encanto, I haven't seen it, but I can relate to the "extreme empathy" the article describes and to the experience of being surrounded by people who love you but don't know how to support you.

I'm not autistic, but I'm the sibling to someone who is, and a lot of us in the sibling community really resonated with one of the songs. It's a very sweet and well-made movie with some excellent songs. I really recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQwVKr8rCYw

Also I love that read of Legally Blonde.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Pixelante posted:

I'm not autistic, but I'm the sibling to someone who is, and a lot of us in the sibling community really resonated with one of the songs. It's a very sweet and well-made movie with some excellent songs. I really recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQwVKr8rCYw

Also I love that read of Legally Blonde.

Thats an interesting take! however, I have good news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiX-EJA8n4w
The musical is even better.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Have any of you been or known someone that went from non-verbal to verbal? My son is 7 and has been making some great strides with talking and listening, but I fear the day where he will be too big for me to handle and need to be in a group home.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I don't represent the entire autism community, and am a little jaded by some of the organizations that purport to, but I'm inclined to believe that any positive representation in popular culture is better than living on the margins.

We're all crabs in a bucket to some extent on this blue pale dot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
“Float” really wrecked me when I saw it…cried for a week.