Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1475487638991814668

MOSCOW - Pigs can fly!

Weirdly similar 00s internet career path and finale to Lowtax (and the guy was a poster superstar/pariah on Lepra, russian SA for all intents and purposes), except as far as I know the tax man did not help with recruiting mercenaries to fight in Donbass and did not run crowdfunding drives to buy an APC. Rest in piss and burn in hell

If APC stands for Alarmingly Priced Cookies, then they were actually the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

mobby_6kl posted:

Eastern Europe: Stalin is always implied

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Corruption/bribe chat: Bribed the manager at an EE international airport to allow several hundred pounds of pharmaceuticals into the country. I was met by uniformed military at the plane...who promptly loaded my cargo into a van, stamped my passport, and dropped me (and the drugs) off where I told them.

150$ Early 2000's.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Corruption/bribe chat: Bribed the manager at an EE international airport to allow several hundred pounds of pharmaceuticals into the country. I was met by uniformed military at the plane...who promptly loaded my cargo into a van, stamped my passport, and dropped me (and the drugs) off where I told them.

150$ Early 2000's.
Boyars be hustlin'

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I jumped from the window with an APC and two bullets in my head.

It is Rasputin

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

spacetoaster posted:

150$ Early 2000's.

the lengths eu citizens will go to get melatonin. i'm shaking my head

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FishBulbia posted:

the lengths eu citizens will go to get melatonin. i'm shaking my head

Melatonin auto corrected to NATO the first time I write it out lol

Satellite photos of Yelnya, Russia: ~200 km north of Ukraine, east of Belarus. Units of 41st Combined Arms Army, including tanks, self-propelled artillery and other military equipment. Camera @maxar

More units appearing

"
The 41st Army was reformed on 1 December 1998 from the former headquarters of the Siberian Military District at Novosibirsk, part of the Siberian Military District. In 2002, the 122nd Guards Motor Rifle Division was relocated to Aleysk and became part of the army. During the Russian military reform in 2009, the division was converted into the 35th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade.[3][4] On 1 September 2010, the army was transferred to the Central Military District after the Siberian Military District was disbanded.[5]

A dedicated electronic warfare battalion is scheduled to be formed within the 41st Combined Arms Army by the end of 2019.[6]
"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 28, 2021

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-duda-us-clash-media-law-veto/

<<“Pressure makes sense,” former Polish Prime Minister and former President of the European Council Donald Tusk tweeted in reaction to Duda’s decision.>>

Always nice to see a good “thank you from the mountain” in a news article.

e: double lol if Tusk wrote that in English himself

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 28, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1475487638991814668

MOSCOW - Pigs can fly!

Weirdly similar 00s internet career path and finale to Lowtax (and the guy was a poster superstar/pariah on Lepra, russian SA for all intents and purposes), except as far as I know the tax man did not help with recruiting mercenaries to fight in Donbass and did not run crowdfunding drives to buy an APC. Rest in piss and burn in hell

Does the name "Lepra" actually refer to leprosy because the Russian analogue for "goons" being "lepers" is simpy too on the nose to not be true

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

Does the name "Lepra" actually refer to leprosy because the Russian analogue for "goons" being "lepers" is simpy too on the nose to not be true

The site is called Leprosorium in full, but with users being called lepers this is a yes and yes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
So I gather they too are losing their members.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

So I gather they too are losing their members.

It was more niche to start with. You could only get access via existing members vouching for you, but you could also lose it if someone you vouched for eats a perma. I think they have added some sort of paid registration in the last half a decade, but I cannot see that to be a major population booster.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They even had Photoshop Phridays. The main difference between Lepra and SA is that Lepra has invited and downvotes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Was it, y'know, fun? The fact that this dude could post there seems like a red flag

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Was it, y'know, fun? The fact that this dude could post there seems like a red flag

It’s not a particular red flag for the purposes of this thread. Lepra was a den of Russian liberals, e.g., Navalnyi had a confirmed account there.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

i was never a part of it so i wouldn't know as to how it actually was / is, but quite a few prominent media / internet people had accounts there

i do recall one notable event where a Lepra user had promised some 14-year old kid an invite if he takes a photo of himself naked and with a flag sticking out his bum, which that poor kid actually went and did. that Lepra user then proceeded to post said photos on the russian equivalent of 4chan

which i guess kinda maps onto that one particular mod challenge

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s not a particular red flag for the purposes of this thread. Lepra was a den of Russian liberals, e.g., Navalnyi had a confirmed account there.

Ah okay I thought it was like ultranationalist Somethingawful

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

For my fellow Latvian posters here - you know how people, especially those with affection for USSR, ask what is it that Latvia gets out of EU membership, which it could’ve not gotten “remaining with brothers”? I have finally solved the enigma.

nurmie posted:

i was never a part of it so i wouldn't know as to how it actually was / is, but quite a few prominent media / internet people had accounts there

i do recall one notable event where a Lepra user had promised some 14-year old kid an invite if he takes a photo of himself naked and with a flag sticking out his bum, which that poor kid actually went and did. that Lepra user then proceeded to post said photos on the russian equivalent of 4chan

Yeah they were huge on “signas”. As far as I know, not a lot of people who got signas for the purposes of getting into Lepra actually received the invites.

For non-Runet people reading, “signa” is a photo of an accentuated cleavage with someone’s name written on top. 10-15 years ago having a nice one in your name was the Russian internet’s proverbial equivalent of having a brand new set of Adidas clothing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is that a popcorn popsicle hiding at the edge of that picture :chloe:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

An icecream rather and one by an USSR legacy brand at that.

But it gets better, as the camera is focused on a potato chip one. It's probably good, but nothing will beat the beetroot chocolate bar by Pergale.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, I assumed "čipsi" was just a coincidentally similar name for something innocuous

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

And the vanilla and potato crisps ice cream with chocolate glazing, in the focus of photo, was okay then, I presume? Yes, it is.

a podcast for cats posted:

beetroot chocolate bar by Pergale.

You know, this doesn’t even sound bad, I’d genuinely try it. But then I’m also cold soup and borsch person.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 28, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For my fellow Latvian posters here - you know how people, especially those with affection for USSR, ask what is it that Latvia gets out of EU membership, which it could’ve not gotten “remaining with brothers”? I have finally solved the enigma.

the more i look at it the more cursed it becomes

also i have always felt that latvian food products are better than lithuanian ones. at least that was child me's assertion made over the course of numerous visits. and of course, Kārums glazed bars still remain unbeaten

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

PC culture gone too far

Rye bread ice cream owns though, I'm convinced that the combination of rye bread + dessert is impossible to botch

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

nurmie posted:

also i have always felt that latvian food products are better than lithuanian ones. at least that was child me's assertion made over the course of numerous visits. and of course, Kārums glazed bars still remain unbeaten

I think that's a sentiment shared by many Latvians. Or, at least, it was until Polish imports became more widespread. Last time I visited, I noticed quite a few products branded with ostensibly Latvian names that were produced in Lithuania and I assumed that the reason was this exact perception.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nurmie posted:

I’m slightly biased, but I prefer Latvian food to Lithuanian as well. Šakotis has my respect, but that’s about it.

Arzachel posted:

PC culture gone too far

Rye bread ice cream owns though, I'm convinced that the combination of rye bread + dessert is impossible to botch

Yeah, rupjmaizes kārtojums with some berries or (ice) cream is a very solid dessert in my book. If I’m at a cafe in Latvia, the only thing realistically competing with it is a proper Napoleon or honey cake.

In general, Latvia is surprisingly good at dessert foods, in spite of otherwise having somewhat bland cuisine - compared to the rest of the world, not neighbouring countries. While we’re at the topic, I’d like to thank all our boomers for making sure there’s a solid selection of proper plombīrs available in most places.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I tried Šakotis on three separate occasions. One time at the home of the world's largest Šakotis, too. And it's extremely underwhelming, even freshly baked. It lookS neat, and the way it's made and its history are fascinating, but it's just very plain. All branding.

Lithuanian cheeses, though, are great.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

We used to shop in Lithuania frequently, and šakotis always was a treat we’d arrange for ourself. On the small end though, none of those 1 metre monstrosities. If you expect to get more or less a fried муравейник, I think it works just fine.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
šakotis is very good if it's fresh and not too large, yes

i'm personally a huge fan of šaltibaršis too (though i'm pretty sure that's not quite a lithuanian invention as i'm pretty sure i have encountered it in latvia), and dranniki

that said, in my experience there is a pretty significant overlap in regional cuisines across the baltics and nearby ex-soviet countries - and certain dishes almost have somewhat of a pan-ex-soviet feel to them at this point (i blame that О вкусной и здоровой пище book)

(one thing i could never get into is loving холодец. i've no idea why so many people insist on jellying bones and meats into a weird alien-looking blob and then insist on thinking it's good actually)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Back to thread topic, Memorial just got nuked via “foreign agents” law.

https://twitter.com/memorialmoscow/status/1475774529825914882

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nurmie posted:

i'm personally a huge fan of šaltibaršis too (though i'm pretty sure that's not quite a lithuanian invention as i'm pretty sure i have encountered it in latvia)

... did you guys really just decide to call it "cold borsch" like that?

There are a lot of similar soups in other countries yeah, including окрошка, the холодец of soups. Холодник as made in Lithuania and Latvia is also common in Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia with no major recipe changes.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

... did you guys really just decide to call it "cold borsch" like that?

There are a lot of similar soups in other countries yeah, including окрошка, the холодец of soups. Холодник as made in Lithuania and Latvia is also common in Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia with no major recipe changes.

it's also literally called холодный борщ in russian too, which is kinda weird when you think about it

weird thing is, i don't recall encountering it at all in Russia itself - окрошка is much more of a thing there in my experience. oh, and that weird tomato-and-kefir thing which is a transgression against cold soups everywhere

(i probably should stop derailing the thread with food talk. sorry everyone!)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nurmie posted:

it's also literally called холодный борщ in russian too, which is kinda weird when you think about it

weird thing is, i don't recall encountering it at all in Russia itself - окрошка is much more of a thing there in my experience. oh, and that weird tomato-and-kefir thing which is a transgression against cold soups everywhere

I've never experienced it being called холодный борщ in Russian - usually холодник, seldom свекольник. Speaking of Russian soups, here's something from my old job in Russia:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I've never experienced it being called холодный борщ in Russian - usually холодник, seldom свекольник.

huh, might be a regional thing then (i didn't realise for a very long time that Russian speakers from other places generally don't call a beetroot "бурак")

(i'd go on a diatribe about regional dialects and тутэйшие here but i think that's enough self-doxxing for the time being lol)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh it’s most likely a regional thing. I speculate it’s not холодный борщ for Latvian Russians because it’s “cold soup” in Latvian, literally. My personal long standing regionalism, that took a year of working for Russians to even begin to pay attention to it, was the way I say decimal numbers. Komats is comma in Latvian, so, alongside with basically any Russian I know locally, my purely Russian librarian mother including, I would pronounce 6,7 as шесть кома семь. And I still do, in all fairness, because if I’m going to pontificate about with шесть целых и семь десятых for the entire day, then I might as well ask you to put the kettle on.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 28, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I really enjoy the food chat since it lets me learn something new about a region I rarely visit and makes for fun discussion, a lot more so than the usual armchair general speculation

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

nurmie posted:

i don't believe that gaddhafi was a mod challenge??? that said Brown moses might've pm'd the challenge to caro, idk

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
pre-emptively apologizing for that joke which is tasteless on multiple levels

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

pre-emptively apologizing for that joke which is tasteless on multiple levels
Surprised we haven't heard from Caro ever since that day we learned he got released from a Syrian death camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Grouchio posted:

Surprised we haven't heard from Caro ever since that day we learned he got released from a Syrian death camp

He was interviewed recently and the last few pages of the Middle East thread have been discussing him.