Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What reader app has anti-screenshotting? Even Comixology doesn't give a poo poo, surely :filez: apps don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
webtoons does, much to my chagrin

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Same with Mangaplus.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
When you mean your reader app doesn't allow screenshots, do you mean it actually prevents you from hitting the reserved Android hotkey of power+volume down? Or we talking iphone? or both?

I love piracy!

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 11, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

EVIL Gibson posted:

When you mean your reader app doesn't allow screenshots, do you mean it actually prevents you from hitting the reserved Android hotkey of power+volume down?

yes

you can't use tachi to read webtoons early access comics unfortunately, so still gotta use the main app occasionally

e: i like the SY fork myself

site fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 10, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

EVIL Gibson posted:

A whole bunch of piracy poo poo.

Yes, the actual rights holders prevent screenshot or recording. Just like Netflix and Amazon. It's a feature built into Android/iOS because it turns out Google and Apple are also media conglomerates and love to have a way to make piracy harder.

But, thanks for posting an app that's so far into piracy territory that it can't even get into the app store during the discussion of "maybe don't link to piracy stuff".

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Goddamn, Kieron Gillen is really someone I should be following much more closely than I have been. I couldn't really get into Wicked+The Divine but everything else I've read by Gillen has been top-notch. Love that art, too. Just ordered all 4 TPBs.

edit: vvvvvv Yeah, I got into Once and Future recently too (again based on panels posted in BSS) and it's great.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 10, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's like tonally the exact opposite, but check out his ongoing series Once and Future, also.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Those DIE panels were just about the best thing I've seen in here.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
World's End Touring

In this manga (read right-to-left) two girls are riding a bike around in a devastated Japan, trying to find one of the girls' sister by following pictures she took and posted on Instagram before the end. It's never spelled out exactly what happened, but the world is in ruin; there are no other people around, but sometimes they find traces left over by other survivors who have since moved on or passed away.

When they reach Yokohama they stop to fish for food, and find... something else.

They hook the robot to their bike's battery, and he wakes up: Airi (the younger girl, who is also a robot) identifies what he is.

Robot-man introduces himself as "Arnie," but has complete amnesia: he can't remember a thing. But he does have a picture hanging around his neck.

Looks like he used to work in Yokosuka, at the naval base they have there. Yohko, the older girl, looks up Yokosuka on her phone, and they decide to head there next, bringing Arnie along.

As they are riding aong the highway, Arnie resets.

Suddenly, they have to stop: the road is blocked by a submarine, just lying there, across the highway. They try to look for a way around...

They sit down, and gaze down at the hole, and at the sea life swimming around in it. Arnie, having remembered everything, re-introduces himself as Ichiro Suzuki; the girls offer to bring him along on their journey, but he declines, and says he will stay in Yokosuka. So the girls ride off.

The issue ends with Yohko asking Airi: "What would you do if you were left alone on your own?"

Mikl fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 11, 2021

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Toshimo posted:

But, thanks for posting an app that's so far into piracy territory that it can't even get into the app store during the discussion of "maybe don't link to piracy stuff".

You are welcome. Glad I could help!

I removed the post as I said I would but thanks for giving me a laugh ;)

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 11, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
This isn't the piracy thread and it's a can of worms so let's please move on. In general if I see a page or a panel with a watermark I just edit it out on my own and edit the original post rather than probate it, which I've just gone ahead and done with the post quoting the original DIE post. I usually catch these pretty fast but I slept in today and then took my time eating a bagel on the porch.

As for DIE, one of the big set pieces of the second to last issue really got to me. The premise of the comic is basically a twist on the old 80's D&D cartoon: a bunch of kids got sucked into their ttrpg campaign 30 years ago and really had a bad time. Now they're all middle-aged and have moved on with their lives, until they get sucked in again. One of them, a guy named Ash with a wife and a nice house, manifests in the DIE world as a woman. How he feels about this is one of the recurring threads in the series. This all comes to a head when, in the midst of a climactic Tolkien rift, the party is barred by a big scary balrog-version of Ash's character, who they all quickly suss out is sort of an avatar of repression. So it's time for Ash to confront that repression.

But... they're ok! And in the last issue, when everybody is returned to the real world, we get this coda:

DIE #19-20

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 11, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

When I first read it, I did a little lol at the idea of gender identities as additional character classes released in expansion packs

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3: In the future, Lex Luthor has taken over a planet and acts as the peoples' benevolent dictator. Through a series of events too complicated to get into, his world's economy just tanked. And now Superman's speaking to representatives from the United Planets on their behalf.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 21, 2021

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Mikl posted:

Arnie, having remembered everything, re-introduces himself as Ichiro Suzuki"

the actual one?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe the first one at least.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3: In the future, Lex Luthor has taken over a planet and acts as the peoples' benevolent dictator. Through a series of events too complicated to get into, his world's economy just tanked. And now Superman's speaking to representatives from the United Planets on their behalf.

“Nobody deserves mercy. That’s why it’s mercy.” Superman’s been reading his Augustine I see.

(This is a good page)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

thetoughestbean posted:

“Nobody deserves mercy. That’s why it’s mercy.” Superman’s been reading his Augustine I see.
Or his Shakespeare:

Portia posted:

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The thronèd monarch better than his crown.

quote:

(This is a good page)
:agreed:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From this week's Nightwing (#87) which I would highly recommend especially if you like puppies.

I'm a sucker for animal stuff, but drat this tugged some heartstrings.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
The reflection off the street lamp gives his suit some yellow banding I thought for a second he went back to the style of his original Nightwing costume.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Comfortador posted:

The reflection off the street lamp gives his suit some yellow banding I thought for a second he went back to the style of his original Nightwing costume.

that's where the dog peed on him

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Don't know the issue, unfortunately.

I can't believe Donald Duck comics aren't big in the US. You don't know what you are missing out on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SimonChris posted:

Don't know the issue, unfortunately.

I can't believe Donald Duck comics aren't big in the US. You don't know what you are missing out on.

They just largely weren't as available here as they were in Europe.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

donald duck is rightly seen in the united states as a freak rear end pervert, which is why he's more tolerated in europe

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh with that typesetting if you told me that was an edit I'd believe you

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If I had to guess it's probably originally in Swedish or something so technically you're right

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the typesetting looks like a fan translation to me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure most European Donald Duck comics are done in Italy and then just translated to various Scandi languages.
I know Duck Avenger (aka Stål Kalle) was Italian in origin at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure most European Donald Duck comics are done in Italy and then just translated to various Scandi languages.
I know Duck Avenger (aka Stål Kalle) was Italian in origin at least.

Most are produced in Italy, yes, but there's also a bunch of stories produced locally in Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden from the top of my head. I think Greece, too, but can't recall a specific example.

My country used to import a lot of translated Italian stories, but I also have been following IDW US publications and they picked stories from absolutely everywhere and it's super interesting to me seeing all those different art/writing styles. Enjoying duck comics is strangely one thing unifying many Euro countries, even though most of the local produced stories end up not being translated across nations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Donald Duck comics were very popular and well-regarded in the US up through the 60s or 70s, though they were written and drawn by someone other than the various European ones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This one requires a little setup but anyway Savage Avengers #27: The team has managed to kill Kulan Gath, an evil wizard, from taking over/killing the entire Marvel Universe thanks to a team-up with Kang the Conqueror. At a victory feast at Castle Doom, Kang brings up that Kulan Gath has survived being killed before and to truly prevent him from returning he has to be dealt with permanently in the way only a time traveler can (or as Dr. Strange puts it, the old "kill Hitler as a baby" conundrum). Conan steps up and volunteers to do the deed, and Kang takes them back to when Gath was a kid being sold into slavery (the narration tells us it's his first step on his dark path), but rather than killing Gath, Conan kills the wizard that just bought him.

Not your traditional inspiring panel but Conan taking a non-murder path is pretty special :)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 29, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That rules

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't know about "not traditional". I find the concept of decapitating fans of slavery to be extremely uplifting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Conan is also a conqueror & king etc. The man knows how to play a long game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah okay that is a good Conan scene.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Savage Avengers is full of kick rear end Conan scenes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Conan's hatred of wizards and his willingness to train warriors (even if just so he has someone worth fighting later) is absolutely in character and shouldn't surprise anybody. But yeah that's a really neat solution to the problem.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has anyone else ever worked THAT line into a Conan comic?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Looking for a specific page or two. I think it's post civil war, but pre One More Day. Spider-Man and MJ are living in Avenger's tower, Peter is missing, or gravely injured or assumed dead, several people are trying to comfort MJ and Wolverine comes in and starts hitting on her. She smacks him and threatens to kill him. On the surface it's a real shithead maneuver, but he explains that with his attitude he helped snap her out of her funk and gave her something else to focus on rather than her dying husband.

It's not exactly "touching", but Wolverine kind of helping out in the only way he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

Looking for a specific page or two. I think it's post civil war, but pre One More Day. Spider-Man and MJ are living in Avenger's tower, Peter is missing, or gravely injured or assumed dead, several people are trying to comfort MJ and Wolverine comes in and starts hitting on her. She smacks him and threatens to kill him. On the surface it's a real shithead maneuver, but he explains that with his attitude he helped snap her out of her funk and gave her something else to focus on rather than her dying husband.

It's not exactly "touching", but Wolverine kind of helping out in the only way he can.

That is somewhere in the second half of the Other. In one of the Pat Lee drawn issues if memory serves.